Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I know I'm not on that one because I can only be represented by Web Splashers Hydro-Venom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Cyclops represents Edge & Christian because he's always right.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I'm still just assuming I'm the token girl in any given image.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Wait, who's loving dogs? Did I miss a meeting?

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Well there's a long story arc where the barriers between subforums break down and BSS has to work to free the chat thread from invaders from Pet Island, and let's speak frankly: that's a dogfucker subforum. They do sex things, but with dogs.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

You really captured my likeness with the Batman eating giraffe.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

I know I'm not on that one because I can only be represented by Web Splashers Hydro-Venom.

Because when I think "Spider-Man villain who shoots water" I think Venom.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

It is literally the Hydro Man action figure with Venom's head on it. His legs even have the outline of jeans.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

I...I know I should look away, but I just can't.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

The madman figure itsa me

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Don't make me mail you a Guy Gardner figure.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Was Franklin Richards supposed to be the Omega superhero from the get go or was that an idea that came in later?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

zoux posted:

Was Franklin Richards supposed to be the Omega superhero from the get go or was that an idea that came in later?

He's called an Omega level mutant in Hickman's FF and he's previously significantly altered reality (bringing everyone back after Onslaught, which I haven't actually read).

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah I should've used a different term, I just mean when Franklin was created in the 60's if he was intended to be one of the most powerful characters in the Marvel universe. Was he even supposed to be a mutant or is that all Hickman?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

zoux posted:

Yeah I should've used a different term, I just mean when Franklin was created in the 60's if he was intended to be one of the most powerful characters in the Marvel universe. Was he even supposed to be a mutant or is that all Hickman?

He has been a mutant and one of the most powerful characters almost his entire existence.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

bobkatt013 posted:

He has been a mutant and one of the most powerful characters almost his entire existence.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

The Richards family carries a terrible fashion gene.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

zoux posted:

I'd love a write up for Franklin's comic history. Besides his birth, my knowledge only goes back far enough to Spidey ditching the Venom symbiote at the Baxter building and it being terrified of Franklin, and an adult future version of him smooching on Rachel Summers in Days of Future Present.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Skwirl posted:

He's called an Omega level mutant in Hickman's FF and he's previously significantly altered reality (bringing everyone back after Onslaught, which I haven't actually read).

And that actually came from something from X-Factor (IIRC) in the late 80's/very early 90's where there were twelve mutants who were the strongest people around. And Cyclops.

zoux posted:

While the story of his birth involves him being too powerful and potentially killing Sue, I think the first actual "Franklin has reality warping powers" story was done under Roy Thomas. But I'd have to go back and check.

Edit: While going back to check references I found out something odd about Franklin: he was named by a reader in a letter column! Someone wrote in to suggest Franklin after Sue and Johnny's father who died in a heroic sacrifice against the Skrulls.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Jan 15, 2016

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

This is it: the best picture.

It definitely needs to be the entire OP for the next iteration of the movie thread.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
What are some other good Punisher runs? The Garth Ennis run in MAX is my favorite run of any comic and I was curious if there was any others I should check out, I've also checked out the Marvel Knights run too.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

OldTennisCourt posted:

What are some other good Punisher runs? The Garth Ennis run in MAX is my favorite run of any comic and I was curious if there was any others I should check out, I've also checked out the Marvel Knights run too.
The Aaron Punisher Max run is also really good. Very different than Ennis' but I was hooked throughout.

If you haven't read Franken-Castle, well, do that.

Marvel Universe Vs. The Punisher is a great mini (read the MU vs Wolverine sequel, too, but then stop there)

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

redbackground posted:

If you haven't read Franken-Castle, well, do that.

Similarly fun: Space Punisher.
http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Space_Punisher_Vol_1

I really liked Rucka's Solid Snake Punisher run, but I rarely see anyone else talking about it.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Punisher_(2011_series)

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Rucka's run is so terrible.

Also, you guys are aware there are pre-Ennis Punisher comics, right?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

I almost typed out "Just grab a bunch of Mike Baron back issues for twenty cents in the bargain boxes" but didn't. :negative:

Agreed on Rucka's run; don't bother.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
I liked Rucka's run, but this:

Is the real good poo poo. The Punisher looks like Steven Seagal, and it has some truly inspired character design moments for various people.

Also read the two Acts of Vengeance Punisher issues. They're great.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
Are the MAX books not on marvel unlimited?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

kizudarake posted:

Are the MAX books not on marvel unlimited?
Nope. (or so I've heard repeated on this forum a few times)

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
I'm going to pull out an obscurity: the "Psychoville, U.S.A." storyline by Abnett and Lanning in Punisher War Zone #12-16. Sadly, I don't think it's ever been collected. I don't know how the rest of their run turns out, but it's story where Frank wakes up one day in a suburban home with a family again, having forgotten his vigilante persona... and well, it turns out the other inhabitants of the town might be a lot like him.

Blew my mind when I was a kid because you're thrown into it in media res without much explanation, and it's just a fun, weird storyline.

Edit: Also you got great covers like this:

Alien Rope Burn fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jan 21, 2016

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I'm going to pull out an obscurity: the "Psychoville, U.S.A." storyline by Abnett and Lanning in Punisher War Zone #12-16. Sadly, I don't think it's ever been collected. I don't know how the rest of their run turns out, but it's story where Frank wakes up one day in a suburban home with a family again, having forgotten his vigilante persona... and well, it turns out the other inhabitants of the town might be a lot like him.

Blew my mind when I was a kid because you're thrown into it in media res without much explanation, and it's just a fun, weird storyline.

Edit: Also you got great covers like this:

Man, he's just left that grill and bike right near where he's mowing. That doesn't seem safe at all!

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Lurdiak posted:

Yes, they are 99% crap, Deathwish on repeat makes for a boring character.

In ye olden :files: days I read through some serious 70's-90's garbage because hey "it's free my job is boring" but Punisher's runs was such crap I stopped reading them.

SirDan3k fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jan 21, 2016

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

redbackground posted:

They aren't no, which is a shame. Dunno if it's licensing or content issues though.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
I picked up Essential Punisher 2 and 3 and they aren't really great, there's some fun stuff in there but I feel like I'd enjoy them more in color and with ads for old rear end NES games included.

Though it is fun to go from fighting mobsters to Punisher being crammed into the big event of the time like when Frank just starts rumbling with the High Evolutionary's guys and some weird Lizard alien that apparently appeared in 4 other Annuals at the time.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

redbackground posted:

They aren't, except a couple issues snuck in under other Punisher runs.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

SirDan3k posted:

Yes, they are 99% crap, Deathwish on repeat makes for a boring character.

In ye olden :files: days I read through some serious 70's-90's garbage because hey "it's free my job is boring" but Punisher's runs was such crap I stopped reading them.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
The best part of the issue is that Frank returns the jetski intact, and before the rental place even closes.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

RandallODim posted:

The best part of the issue is that Frank returns the jetski intact, and before the rental place even closes.

Clearly they ran out of room on the cover to put "And then kiss it again when he returns it in perfect condition to collect his deposit!"

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

OldTennisCourt posted:

I picked up Essential Punisher 2 and 3 and they aren't really great, there's some fun stuff in there but I feel like I'd enjoy them more in color and with ads for old rear end NES games included.

Though it is fun to go from fighting mobsters to Punisher being crammed into the big event of the time like when Frank just starts rumbling with the High Evolutionary's guys and some weird Lizard alien that apparently appeared in 4 other Annuals at the time.

You should have got Essential 1 because that has some good rear end Punisher in it (along with some blah stuff like Punisher showing up in Cap.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Circle of Blood is fuckin great.