Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Yeah, Robocop is the one with Mister Falcon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Pickled Tink posted:

First Dog did a person died cartoon:

This was brought up earlier, but I agree that obituaries in which the cartoonist says "This is what this famous person meant to me" are much better than the standard "This is something famous I think this famous person said". But I understand that newspaper editorial pages don't usually have room for the former.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Jay Rust posted:

This was brought up earlier, but I agree that obituaries in which the cartoonist says "This is what this famous person meant to me" are much better than the standard "This is something famous I think this famous person said". But I understand that newspaper editorial pages don't usually have room for the former.

<DEAD_CELEB> at the Pearly Gates (or at the Lake of Fire) cartoons are the worst. Except when drawn by Kelly. Kelly obits are the best.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

vyelkin posted:

Kevin O'Leary, who is kind of like a bargain bin Canadian Donald Trump, recently went all Doctor Evil and offered to invest one million dollars in the Albertan oil industry if the newly elected left wing premier of Alberta would just take all the blame for the oil crash and resign her office. Now he's considering running for the leadership of the federal conservative party.

As in the guy from Shark Tank?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Mr. Fowl posted:

As in the guy from Shark Tank?

Yep!

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

drat it how did it post twice?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Lmao @ that Rubio

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I admit, skull-apple demons that are genetically modifiying fish is probably going a bit too far with GMOs.

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

If Jews bad, then why Christianity good?

Shadowed Bacon
Apr 28, 2009
And yet, I'm most baffled by the near invisible swirl next to the cross.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
Given that Dees once made fun of a fan for believing in angels I'm just baffled by the Christianity nod.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Where can I get me a US flag with Stars of David in place of.. stars? asking for a friend

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

MissEchelon posted:

Where can I get me a US flag with Stars of David in place of.. stars? asking for a friend

I too want to know, if I knew I'd be flying 24/7 just to see what kinda crazy I can draw.

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

Jonas Albrecht posted:

If not for Smash Mouth's Under Pressure cover

Goddammit, I googled that and I can never unhear it.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Already kissed the ring

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Shadowed Bacon posted:

And yet, I'm most baffled by the near invisible swirl next to the cross.

I think that's a reference to A Thing That Happened several years ago when there was this "mysterious" spiral in the sky above Norway and Sweden that most people assume was a Russian aircraft test or something. Naturally, conspiracy theorists were on it like white on rice.

Schnedwob
Feb 28, 2014

my legs are okay
It's also the logo for Dreamstime, a stock image provider. Is Dees skipping out on paying for his source materials?

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Sad story time. Iran has a demographic problem. Following the Iran/Iraq war, a lot of children were born, a la the baby boomers. These kids are coming of age today, and it presents an issue for Iran moving forward, due to such a massive chunk of the population within one narrow age group. As a result, legislation has attempted to reduce accessibility to vasectomies and voluntary sterilization, while mandating it as a womans duty to have something like 5+ children. There's been a number of cartoons about this.

In August 2014, a young woman named Atena Farghadani who was living in Iran made this cartoon on the subject, and posted it on her facebook page. It's a portrayal of parliament discussing one of these bills.

She was arrested in Tehran and spent 3 months in prison for spreading propaganda, and insulting government officials. When she was released on bail in December, she posted a video describing how she was tortured and interrogated in prison, as well as publishing an open letter addressed to the supreme leader.

quote:

“What you call ‘propaganda against the regime’, in my view is sympathizing with women and men whose children were drenched in blood in 2009…

“What you call ‘acting against national security’ and ‘complicity with an outlaw sect’, I call it supporting men and women who are deprived of their basic right to education because of being Baha’ii…

“What you call ‘insulting deputies of Majlis by drawing’, I call an art that has given a deserving treatment to those who have mistreated and abused the House of our Nation…

“My defense is neither courageous, nor foolish… It is just an outburst of honesty that was drenched in blood in the last gaze of Neda (Agha Solatn innocently killed on June 20, 2009, on the street who turned into the symbol of Iranian youths in 2009); it is an outburt of honesty that was ran over by government vehicles in December 2009 and killed in cold blood.

“It is the honesty that we have been holding in for 36 years …. Let us rely on ourselves for tomorrow there will be no one except our own conscience to answer for our deeds and for remaining silent against oppression. This is a great, unforgivable crime that will one day burn our house.”

After this, Atena's life got very bad very quickly. She was tried in January 2015, and sentenced to 12 years in prison. She went on a hunger strike in protest, and survived a heart attack a month later. Following this, she came under investigation yet again, this time for an “illegitimate sexual relationship short of adultery," over allegedly shaking hands with her lawyer. Her lawyer was arrested on these charges.

She was forced to take a virginity and pregnancy test last August as part of the investigation for these charges. She reportedly began another hunger strike at this point, and we haven't heard much since. Her health has already had some concerning moments, so here's hoping for good news. :smith:

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Nikki Haley is the voice of reason? What a strange world we live in.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I hope none of you were too disturbed by the shocking images of prisoner abuse and torment as seen in the above, but like Abu Ghraib it was important to see what these poor bastards were put through.

I just hope the prisoners can readjust to life in normal society after their ordeal.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Nikki Haley will tame the Trumpasque by converting it to the True Faith, and bring it back to the town as a harmless pet, but the people of the town will want revenge and will kill the Trumpasque anyway.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Jerusalem posted:

I hope none of you were too disturbed by the shocking images of prisoner abuse and torment as seen in the above, but like Abu Ghraib it was important to see what these poor bastards were put through.

I just hope the prisoners can readjust to life in normal society after their ordeal.

They should have been put in 5 star hotel suites like those refugees!!!!1

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!

This is my definition of hero. Somebody that sacrifice his comfort and life to make everyone life better.
Is infinitely easier to accept the small cruelty abuse of a regime, than say no.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

loquacius posted:

I applaud it honestly!

His old thing of shoehorning his dialogue into four...

panels, no matter what, never really worked!

Plus he seems to be actually drawing poo poo now.

i suspect his "dry bones academy" students actually drew these cartoons

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type
Speak of the devil...

quote:

Hundreds of Islamic State militants amassed at Israel's border
The Islamic State group's branch in the Syrian Golan has anti-tank missiles, car bombs, machine guns, a few tanks and APCs in its arsenal. Despite its low manpower, the IDF is keeping a close eye on the Yarmouk Martyrs Brigade, as it eats away at the territory of its rival Al-Qaeda.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

The lettuce is amazing.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Trogdos! posted:

Speak of the devil...

The face in the 2nd panel makes me more imagine a Ku Klux Klan member watching a black family move next door.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!

Zanzibar Ham posted:

The face in the 2nd panel makes me more imagine a Ku Klux Klan member watching a black family move next door.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Volkerball posted:

In August 2014, a young woman named Atena Farghadani who was living in Iran made this cartoon on the subject, and posted it on her facebook page. It's a portrayal of parliament discussing one of these bills.

She was arrested in Tehran and spent 3 months in prison for spreading propaganda, and insulting government officials. When she was released on bail in December, she posted a video describing how she was tortured and interrogated in prison, as well as publishing an open letter addressed to the supreme leader.

After this, Atena's life got very bad very quickly. She was tried in January 2015, and sentenced to 12 years in prison. She went on a hunger strike in protest, and survived a heart attack a month later. Following this, she came under investigation yet again, this time for an “illegitimate sexual relationship short of adultery," over allegedly shaking hands with her lawyer. Her lawyer was arrested on these charges.

She was forced to take a virginity and pregnancy test last August as part of the investigation for these charges. She reportedly began another hunger strike at this point, and we haven't heard much since. Her health has already had some concerning moments, so here's hoping for good news. :smith:

that's a good write-up, thank you

pope repost

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Wales Grey posted:

Positive Christianity

Dr. Killjoy posted:

Given that Dees once made fun of a fan for believing in angels I'm just baffled by the Christianity nod.

He's a Cultural Christian if I had to guess, doesn't believe in God but thinks Christian civilization is the bestest greatest.

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Jan 15, 2016

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Wales Grey posted:

There are no Jews in it

The Larch
Jan 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Kurtofan posted:

Positive Christianity

:drat:

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Pickled Tink posted:

First Dog did a person died cartoon:

This was the first First Dog I ever read, since it was only six panels and I actually had a passing familiarity with the subject matter.

It was cute, I liked it. Maybe I'll read one again sometime. Probably not, though.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!

Wales Grey posted:

Jews are transnational, and Christians play more the nationalist ball. Like, you don't usually jews in both side of a conflict killing each another, while you often see Christians in both sides. Christianity have "flexible morals" where they support whatever the ideology of the government, if it is not a total opposition to their own power.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Telnaes elephant.

Also, sketches from the Charleston debate. Love the Fiorina.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Tei posted:

Jews are transnational, and Christians play more the nationalist ball. Like, you don't usually jews in both side of a conflict killing each another, while you often see Christians in both sides. Christianity have "flexible morals" where they support whatever the ideology of the government, if it is not a total opposition to their own power.

You're new here so let me clarify that Dees is a classic Truther conspiracy nut and he just plain hates Jews

He isn't particularly Christian (the only conspiracy theories he outright rejects are the ones involving angels or Satan) but he <3s Putin and is opposed to Jewry in all its forms so it's kind of a no-brainer for him to end up positive on Christianity. He just hasn't been explicit on that until now.

e:

Selachian posted:

Telnaes elephant.

So is that SKYY or what, it's the wrong shape for Bombay Sapphire

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Trogdos! posted:

Speak of the devil...

A middle-class black family doesn't have the Sixth loving Fleet to call on for back-up.

• Locked thread