Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Pets are weirdly reluctant to use their skills even though they mostly have no listed cooldown, so they usually just sit on thousands of unused energy. The raven is the only one I've seen use energy much, when it decides to heal things many times in a row. Which it completely forgets to do other times.

It's generally better to upgrade the pet's base skill before putting many points in their extra abilities since they'll always use their default attacks so much no matter what you do.

I've found the Raven to spamheal melee characters with decent consistency once I'm taking damage, at least when I was experimenting with a low level witchblade. I had 1 point in the base skill so his attacks did nothing but had some four or five points in the heal and it was pretty nice as long as I didn't forget to set him on Defensive - that seems to make em heal more. And even at 1 point in the base skill the Raven's hitpoints and energy scale with level to an extend so my Raven only ran into energy issues spamhealing me in a crisis like, once.

This was on normal, Act 2 though, so who knows what that counts for - but I never had any real problem getting healed.

Shame pets don't remember what behavior you set for them on resummon, I really think having the familiar on defensive made a difference. Perhaps it changes the hp threshold when the Raven decides to heal you?

In any case the bird definitely had feeding me hitpoints as a priority when I was taking heavy damage.

Psykmoe fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Jan 14, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo

seravid posted:

It seems both Demolitionist and Arcanist have now valuable skills at the end of the mastery bar. Probably too early to ask, but which one seems worth the 50 non-respeccable points? Demo has Brimstone and Ulzuin's Chosen, Arcanist has Reckless Power, all of them were buffed.

Soldier is now the opposite,

quote:

Oleron's Rage: % Attack Speed moved back to Squad Tactics and % Offensive Ability slightly reduced
Squad Tactics: % Attack Speed returned, % Movement Speed shifted to Oleron's Rage

Attack speed was a decent reason to max soldier, movement speed... not so much.

Shame canister bomb took some nerfing according to patch notes. I've been using it with 12 points on elite and it doesn't shine nearly as much as it used to back on normal/veteran. They should've just made the damage scale more with skill points if it was such a huge problem it was a good one point skill.

e: Bah, now I'm regretting being 50 soldier/32 demo, gotta reroll and switch around come release :v:

Fewd fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Jan 14, 2016

madstrike
Jun 10, 2013

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Glad I'm not the only one who found out that combo.

I put it on my storm totem and it procs a lot too. Wind Devil is attached to Reckless Tempest and it's proccing all the time aswell.

Lightning druid is very fun but i need to find a better spammers other than lightning nova (from Cracked Lodestone).

Erz
Sep 9, 2004
I'm amazed they buffed the arcanist's Flash Freeze. Its kinda ridiculous now on enemies it works on.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I hate the sluggish pace you travel, they need an out of combat sprint

What are the best one or two movement skills and in what trees? I'm taking one as a secondary just so I can move faster.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
My question is, why doesnt the demolitionist have an atomic bomb like he did in Titan Quest? I just got that skill and it's insane. Might be my masteries, but getting to 50 mastery is rather underwhelming here.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

mr. mephistopheles posted:

How is a skill boosted by an enhancement in the same skill chain a combo to be found?

We're talking about putting Devotion skills onto it, stuff with % chance on hit and such.

What's weird about it is that you can have 3+ tornados going at once, and the devotion proc seem to be on separate cooldowns per tornado (and they hit very fast and a big area and seek onto enemies). So it's pretty neat/fun.

Pets are weirdly reluctant to use their skills even though they mostly have no listed cooldown, so they usually just sit on thousands of unused energy. The raven is the only one I've seen use energy much, when it decides to heal things many times in a row. Which it completely forgets to do other times.

Bleh, I was really hoping I was missing something with it. Wanted to use the bird as a heal bot but it's just too unreliable in when it casts it, I want an AI setting for 'spam heal skill' whenever I take damage. :v:

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

rip heal birb

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Psykmoe posted:

I've found the Raven to spamheal melee characters with decent consistency once I'm taking damage, at least when I was experimenting with a low level witchblade. I had 1 point in the base skill so his attacks did nothing but had some four or five points in the heal and it was pretty nice as long as I didn't forget to set him on Defensive - that seems to make em heal more. And even at 1 point in the base skill the Raven's hitpoints and energy scale with level to an extend so my Raven only ran into energy issues spamhealing me in a crisis like, once.

This was on normal, Act 2 though, so who knows what that counts for - but I never had any real problem getting healed.

Shame pets don't remember what behavior you set for them on resummon, I really think having the familiar on defensive made a difference. Perhaps it changes the hp threshold when the Raven decides to heal you?

In any case the bird definitely had feeding me hitpoints as a priority when I was taking heavy damage.

Like I said, the heal is the one thing the raven seems willing to spam, the problem is no other pet abilities seem to have the same treatment. It's frustrating seeing my hellhound spin around and kill eight cthonians instantly with its fire breath and then just sit on its full tank of energy for an entire fight before it remembers to use it again. I also wish it used ember claw more because that has taunt on it. Same for the walking shrubbery's AOE slam attack which has stun and taunt.

Pet builds are a bit of a recent thing and I still don't feel like pets are quite finished. When I first got the game there was no shaman so you pretty much chilled with the raven and hellhound, which were almost unkillable, and there were almost no items that would buff pets. For some reason the demolitionist's flame traps and mortar counted as pets too.

They've added a good number of items for pets and you at least have 2 overall choices to make with your pet build (either max occultist or max shaman) but they're still awkward. You have no control over their abilities, ctrl-clicking doesn't work for Pet Attack so I have to put it on a number key, and sometimes their AI just is not enough and you have to resort to kiting a boss while your conga line of pets follows and ineffectually tries to keep up.

Owl Inspector fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jan 14, 2016

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

nerdz posted:

My question is, why doesnt the demolitionist have an atomic bomb like he did in Titan Quest? I just got that skill and it's insane. Might be my masteries, but getting to 50 mastery is rather underwhelming here.

What was the atomic bomb in Titans Quest? Demo here have "The Big One" that fires off near the end of a Mortar lifespan so they don't have direct control of it but can lay down a Mortar and just run around.

Also what are some good devotions for a pistol/rifle Commando focusing on physical/fire damage?

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

We're talking about putting Devotion skills onto it, stuff with % chance on hit and such.

Yeah I realized that after his last post, sorry I'm a tard.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
One thing I really, really would like is something like the Crusader in Diablo 3 that would let you use a two-handed weapon in one hand with a shield, with an appropriate penalty.

Being able to switch to a big two hander to smack poo poo around instantly is nice, but it would be even nicer to have a skill that lets you smack poo poo around with a two hander and a shield at the same time.

Hyedum
Jun 12, 2010

BexGu posted:

Also what are some good devotions for a pistol/rifle Commando focusing on physical/fire damage?

I like fiend>falcon>hydra personally. The attack speed and offensive ability from hydra are really nice, but only work with 1-handed ranged weapons. If you're doing 2H fire strike, get fiend>hawk>candle>magi.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Right, I'll be making a gunslinger for my release run of the game, but I'm wondering which damage types to focus on. I got three builds in mind:

Soldier/Demo specced for Physical: http://grimcalc.com/build/0285Hk

Insane physical DPS against single targets thanks to Cadence, AoE damage though Canister Bomb. Add flashbangs liberally.

Demo/Arcanist specced for Fire and Lightning: http://grimcalc.com/build/4dIhPF

Slower attack speed than the above, but Fire Strike has AoE built-in, with Grenado as single-target/tight cluster nuke. Flashbangs are still good.

Demo/Occ specced for Fire and Chaos: http://grimcalc.com/build/oNpA4i

Fire Strike goes into AoE overload with the final skill upgrade, while Curse of Frailty turns enemies into sitting ducks. Blackwater Cocktail for heavy sustained damage on cursed targets. Flashbang can combine with Curse of Frailty for hilarious debuffs.

Demon Gunslinger sounds like the coolest, IMO, but I'm interested in the thread's thoughts on the matter since I've never gotten past the beginning of Act 2.

lilspooky
Mar 21, 2006

The Bramble posted:

I'd like to get into this game but can anyone else playing this on high-resolution screens tell me how to get it to work properly? I have a Dell XPS 15 with a 4K screen and upon starting the game the ui is tiny and my mouse cursor is invisible. Alt-enter to force the game into a window returns the mouse, but now the game occupies a quarter of my screen and is even harder to see text. Adjusting in-game resolution to 1080 in the options and going back to full screen doesn't improve the ui at all, but now the game is full screen and I have a mouse. Finally, reducing my resolution to 1080 in windows itself gives me the game with a usable UI, mouse, and full screen, but now my mouse cursor is chunky and pixelated and its a pain in the rear end to switch the resolution back in windows when I'm done playing.

Anyway sorry for the wall of text about my stupid screen, but maybe someone else has run into this and can offer a fix?

Hey, as somebody in the same boat who is considering picking up this game did the suggested fixes take care of your problems? Did you have to adjust the DPI settings AND the UI work-around?

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

BexGu posted:

What was the atomic bomb in Titans Quest? Demo here have "The Big One" that fires off near the end of a Mortar lifespan so they don't have direct control of it but can lay down a Mortar and just run around.

it was meteor, a meteor would fall and explode with an 18yd radius, which is bigger than the screen, and deal enough damage to kill a boss or elite in one hit. 6 minute cool down though.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

toasterwarrior posted:

Right, I'll be making a gunslinger for my release run of the game, but I'm wondering which damage types to focus on. I got three builds in mind:

Flash Freeze is awesome now (at least on Normal) and definitely worth a look.

lilspooky
Mar 21, 2006
If you were going to play a rifle/pistol build what would work well overall? Demolitionist + something else?

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

lilspooky posted:

If you were going to play a rifle/pistol build what would work well overall? Demolitionist + something else?

Sorcerer (Demo+Arcanist) has been pretty great so far; just finished Normal and it was a cakewalk. I did have some luck finding great fire-spewing hand cannons (dual pistols > rifle), but even peashooters would work with all the elemental damage you get from those masteries. For defense, Arcanist gives you a shield, a debuff and a three-second god mode.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents
Arcanist took a massive hit in the patch yesterday though, so it may not be the default second class of choice anymore

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
What is the currently best pet build? I'm specifically wondering about devotions.

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008
So I'm leveling up a Witch Hunter with an eye towards Acid/Chaos damage. I'll probably go deep Occultist to grab Armor of the Guardian for the attack speed to stack on top of PB's total speed, and the redesigned Possession for the damage absorption and large bonuses to Acid, Poison, and Chaos damage (might as well run Solael's Witchfire for the 6% offense bonus and converting more physical into a damage type that is buffed by Spirit).

Of course I'll run Nidalla's Hidden Hand.

As a bonus, the item powers on the Mark of Dreeg (acid component) and Riftstone are both really fun to use. Mark of Dreeg just makes you volley out tons of those evil eyes, and it probably counts as twinking to put it on at the lowest possible level because they do so much damage. Riftstone phases you towards the enemy at 300% speed (so a slower shadowstrike?) but hits 3 guys like Blitz does without having to path around melee mobs to gib some annoying ranged guy.

In any case, with Blood of Dreeg, Armor of the Guardian and Possession, occultist buffs acid damage A LOT. Solael's Witchfire and Possession both also provide buffs to Poison damage, although I'm usually more concerned with the direct damage portion. Solael's Witchfire/Second Rite/Possession also further buffs autoattacking with chaos damage.

It's fun so far, but of course I'm only at level 30 or so. Warp at dudes with the Riftstone power and then slice and dice them to giblets while Pneumatic Burst keeps me up with a little help from the Raven familiar's heal. I'll ditch the Raven once I got a few more points in PB and pick up Blood of Dreeg I guess.

On the other hand, Blood of Dreeg may be a 1-pointer. Its acid damage bonus is smaller, and it has full uptime at 1 point. If I don't need the heal I may just take Blood to get at Armor with its bigger damage bonus, resists, and attack speed to free up all those points.

Also, I guess for ~flavor~, Armor of the Guardian offers truly preposterous amounts of Poison/Acid resist, redesigned Possession has 10% chaos resist and Elemental Awakening is within respeccing range and now provides Elemental and not just Cold resist, so that's decent if I play the character enough to get where I start really needing resists. Good base to build on with gear/constellations I suppose.

I didn't previously consider going deep Occultist but with Possession now a toggle and Blood of Dreeg getting continuous uptime and an attack speed buff in AotG, it seems a bit more user friendly.

Psykmoe fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Jan 15, 2016

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007
What's the biggest fire nuke in the game? Most fire abilities seem to be split with another damage type. I'm searching for something to wombo combo with the new Olexra's Flash Freeze, assuming that nasty -fire resist can take them into the red.

mirarant
Dec 18, 2012

Post or die
This is a cool game but gently caress whoever

a. designed force move
b. made party members targetable

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"

lilspooky posted:

All classes could work with a rifle/pistol build. If you want to actually shoot stuff, look at Demolitionist + Occultist, Solider or Shaman -- for the most straightforward synergies. If you're going to pick Demolitionist (which is a good class), I would suggest putting at least 6 points in Flashbang and 1 in its upgrade.

Dahbadu fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jan 15, 2016

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

toasterwarrior posted:

Insane physical DPS against single targets thanks to Cadence, AoE damage though Canister Bomb. Add flashbangs liberally.

Slower attack speed than the above, but Fire Strike has AoE built-in, with Grenado as single-target/tight cluster nuke. Flashbangs are still good.

Demo/Occ specced for Fire and Chaos: http://grimcalc.com/build/oNpA4i

Fire Strike goes into AoE overload with the final skill upgrade, while Curse of Frailty turns enemies into sitting ducks. Blackwater Cocktail for heavy sustained damage on cursed targets. Flashbang can combine with Curse of Frailty for hilarious debuffs.

Demon Gunslinger sounds like the coolest, IMO, but I'm interested in the thread's thoughts on the matter since I've never gotten past the beginning of Act 2.

For your Solider/Demo, I would suggest spreading out your points a little bit more and incorporate at least a couple more activated abilities, such as Grenadoes for the resistance reduction. I posted a build below you could shoot (*cough*) for and then tweak.

Dahbadu fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jan 15, 2016

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Dahbadu posted:

For your Solider/Demo, I would suggest spreading out your points a little bit more. You'll get more bang for your buck. You may want to consider incorporating Grenadoes for the resistance nullification.

Speaking of Grenadoes is the last skill point on the Grenadoes line (Skyfire Grenadoes) worth it? Or is it more for people that are using lighting to help replace the fire in the Grenadoes with lightning?

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

toasterwarrior posted:

If you like the idea of a physical damage-focused gunslinger build, here's a quick respec you can try: http://grimcalc.com/build/7BXh3J

If you do the math, you'll do more DPS, have more survivability and utility. There's some extra points you can play around with too.

Dahbadu fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jan 15, 2016

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

BexGu posted:

Speaking of Grenadoes is the last skill point on the Grenadoes line (Skyfire Grenadoes) worth it? Or is it more for people that are using lighting to help replace the fire in the Grenadoes with lightning?

Seems like Skyfire grenades would be cool if you build a character that leverages elemental damage and Ulzuin's Chosen.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

mirarant posted:

a. designed force move

What's wrong with force move? I haven't had a problem with it. I have spacebar as my stationary attack and shift as my forcemove key. Seems to work OK.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

mirarant posted:

a. designed force move

No I love accidentally swinging at my buddy and not hitting anything, and then accidentally tracking him around everywhere

It would be nice if it was a toggleable option since afaik there aren't actually any support spells that you can target your friends with. I mean, they have a ton of options already. And while I'm asking for ease of use things, I'd like to be able to remap the LMB and RMB attacks, I've always preferred spacebar for my default.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Yo thanks for the suggestions!

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

So I seconded Demo on my 50 points in Shaman 2h melee focused character. What's a way to make this a not stupid choice? Or should I respect to a different kind of Shaman build?

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

toasterwarrior posted:

Yo thanks for the suggestions!

Thanks, but there are some major problems with what I posted. The biggest issue is that Cadence and Firestrike seem mutually exclusive. Also, some skills have been changed. For example, Grenadoes no longer reduce resistance on their upgrade skill. I'll post a revamped build later today.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
What does or doesn't count as a default attack for procs? One of my soldier passives say it procs on default attacks but I don't know if it counts for Blade Arc.

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

What does or doesn't count as a default attack for procs? One of my soldier passives say it procs on default attacks but I don't know if it counts for Blade Arc.

Swinging weapon/shooting your gun, Firestrike (Demo) and Savagery (Shaman) are default attacks. Cadence's powerswing will not proc other abilities , but the two regular attacks between Cadence procs will proc things like Zoltan's, Markovian's or Feral Hunger.

On a soldier the rhythm is basically 'chance to proc, chance to proc, Cadence, repeat'.

Blade Arc, or a Tremor-skilled Force Wave, are spammable, but don't proc your passive skills.

Psykmoe fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Jan 16, 2016

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I've been using arc as my primary since this game is trash happy. Guess I'll get those skill points back from the procs.

Force Wave is HORRIBLE about looking like it hits a guy but not. The effect can halfway catch him and it still misses. Not Blocked/Missed but like the visual effect is larger than th attack. It's frustrating as gently caress.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug
Am I crazy, or did there used to be an option to filter out lower rarity loot? I can't find it in the options.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Lprsti99 posted:

Am I crazy, or did there used to be an option to filter out lower rarity loot? I can't find it in the options.

It got moved to a per-character thing on the UI. Look for a small icon on the bottom left next to your skills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

It got moved to a per-character thing on the UI. Look for a small icon on the bottom left next to your skills.

You're a lifesaver, thanks!