Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

homeless poster posted:

the only joke that fell really flat for me was when the waitress mentioned she had been living in a women's shelter and mac says something like "oh yeah, you would live there, you're the worst". it didn't feel like they were making a joke about the waitress character; it felt like they were mocking women's shelters as terrible places to have to be.

skeleton-tears aside i didn't much care for the entire espisode being based around flash backs. the best joke was charlie's line in the strip club with mac "oh yeah, it's 2006, you're still into women".

I mean, keep in mind who's saying that and who's on the receiving end of it. The joke is that Mac has no clue what a women's shelter is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Kind of like mastering an album, I imagine that we are not seeing these episodes in the order they were recorded, and my guess is they are getting the callback episodes out of the way. I think starting off weak with references galore and finishing strong with bold new content is way, way more likely then them frontloading the heavy hitter episodes that they are proud of and then petering out on the backs of jokes from 10 years ago.

And I love tall, thin blonde women and Dee is usually medium to high levels of pretty and I have to roll my eyes at "Fat in the wrong places jokes" exactly like i did at every Liz lemon is gross joke on 30 rock. but when they ug her up she is disgusting, but that is, again, due to her mastery of the body and its squicky humour.

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jan 14, 2016

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
The constant mocking of Dee's appearance mostly comes from the gang and it's pretty much all down to Dennis denigrating her compulsively and the rest of the gang taking his lead cause he's also bossing them around all the time, we know Charlie doesn't actually find her unattractive. Whenever there's an outsider commenting on her appearance nobody other than Little Kev says that she's unattractive and Kev only does it cause she thought he was retarded, he was dating her before that so he it's safe to assume that he did find her attractive. And besides she's constantly slamming rear end all over town.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

emanresu tnuocca posted:

The constant mocking of Dee's appearance mostly comes from the gang and it's pretty much all down to Dennis denigrating her compulsively and the rest of the gang taking his lead cause he's also bossing them around all the time, we know Charlie doesn't actually find her unattractive. Whenever there's an outsider commenting on her appearance nobody other than Little Kev says that she's unattractive and Kev only does it cause she thought he was retarded, he was dating her before that so he it's safe to assume that he did find her attractive. And besides she's constantly slamming rear end all over town.

That's just to give them 1s!

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

She bangs toad people

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.
I hope the season is nothing but remakes of older episodes just to piss people off who complain about the smallest callback.

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

Just watched the newest one

Flashback nothing, this episode was really good and funny. Jokes firing on all cylinders, it owned bones. Love it.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

LORD OF BUTT posted:

I mean, keep in mind who's saying that and who's on the receiving end of it. The joke is that Mac has no clue what a women's shelter is.

That's not the joke at all and I'm not sure why you would think that.

Ajaxify
May 6, 2009
Anyone else catch that Dennis's ringtone in this episode is the same as the song he and Dee are singing / playing on a boom box on the stoop in "Dennis and Dee go on Welfare"?

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
You mean Just a Friend, a supericonic song from the early 90s?

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

LORD OF BUTT posted:

No, the entire premise of its always sunny is that these are terrible people and its completely in line with how hosed up they are as people. The joke is that Mac is a terrible person.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
They're really ramping up the Dennis is a serial killer angle this season. I wonder if they're going to go even further with it.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

sector_corrector posted:

They're really ramping up the Dennis is a serial killer angle this season. I wonder if they're going to go even further with it.

probably going to try and take Dees skin

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Are you done farting?

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
I think Mac does think that Waitress deserves to be in a woman shelter because she's "the worst," but that's still in line with his character/worldview. He would probably say that people who are homeless are being punished by God for not fearing him enough.

Mac: It's about fearing God, okay? I'm trying to convert you guys.
Dennis: Oh, my God, is that what this is about? You're not gonna convert me in one day.I don't believe in God.
Mac: Well, you should. Because if you don't, God will make a flood or a famine, okay? He will destroy you with tornadoes and earthquakes and AIDS. Where do you think AIDS came from? Uh, hello, God's gift to the gays.

It's not exactly out of character for him to think people who are suffering "deserve it."

Pepe Silvia Browne fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Jan 15, 2016

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I didn't get that joke until your analysis TTT, good thread!

This episode felt really off to me because it was almost entirely Frank and he didn't really do anything at all. Everyone else was great (Charlie's line in the strip club killed me) but Frank was just tuddlin' around mugging at the camera, felt lame.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

sector_corrector posted:

I feel like this exact quote has been tossed out at some point in each of the past 3-4 seasons. It's a slow build!

wagnike2
May 31, 2007

Lucha LaBOOM

Bust Rodd posted:

I didn't get that joke until your analysis TTT, good thread!

This episode felt really off to me because it was almost entirely Frank and he didn't really do anything at all. Everyone else was great (Charlie's line in the strip club killed me) but Frank was just tuddlin' around mugging at the camera, felt lame.

I mean he did get it on with some strippers.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

He had a massive head wound!!!

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Brawnfire posted:

He had a massive head wound!!!

That was good for exactly one joke in the beginning.

Partying with strippers who are likely attempting to hook since Frank is probably throwing bills around (strippers don't usually go home with guys like that if they aren't trying to get paid) isn't in the same league as Man-Cheetah Frank, Exotic Sports Car Accident Frank, Trashman Frank, or Frank: First Blood. Hell, in the last episode he literally roofies all of them and gets charlie to perform amateur surgery on himself. I feel like Mac & Charlie could have gone harder to make up for Frank, but all we really got from this episode was Dennis & Dee .

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...
Dennis & Dee on crack will always be funny. That was the highlight of the episode for me.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Frank's problem is that people don't trust him, he's a piece of poo poo and he's ugly and he oozes sleaze. And he's very very ugly.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Dee automatically jumping to the worst possible lie concerning her phone and Dennis' eye rolling reaction followed by his compulsive need to one-up her was good.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

e: oops wrong thread

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Dee automatically jumping to the worst possible lie concerning her phone and Dennis' eye rolling reaction followed by his compulsive need to one-up her was good.

That reminds me, I love whenever the gang gets in front of someone and has to start making up a lie. For some weird reason they all play by comedy improv rules where you can't say no or disagree with the other person, aka the "yes, and" technique. Which leads to situations like Dennis admitting to being raped to a city detective or having his dick blown off in a keg explosion ("it got hit, yeah, but now it's fine"), or Dee not calling Dennis out on his claim that he invented the phone, but instead 1-upping him.

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

timp posted:

That reminds me, I love whenever the gang gets in front of someone and has to start making up a lie. For some weird reason they all play by comedy improv rules where you can't say no or disagree with the other person, aka the "yes, and" technique. Which leads to situations like Dennis admitting to being raped to a city detective or having his dick blown off in a keg explosion ("it got hit, yeah, but now it's fine"), or Dee not calling Dennis out on his claim that he invented the phone, but instead 1-upping him.

Probably because they actually improv'd those scenes.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
They say on interviews that scenes are usually scripted in their entirety and only occasionally if they feel like stuff doesn't work out or they come up with better jokes on the spot they improv, Frank losing his poo poo after seeing an iphone for the first time was clearly scripted so it would stand to reason that the lies too were scripted. The gang are just generally somewhat compulsive liars who are incidentally terrible at coming up with even remotely plausible lies.

In one interview when Rob was asked how much of the script is improvised he says something along the lines of "23.66%, I mean it keeps coming up and people desperately seem to want to get an exact answer so just go with that" but really on most occasions before they got tired of that question they were very clear on the fact that the show is entirely scripted.

Edit: in some of the blooper reels you get to see what their improv looks like, there's the scene where Uncle Jack helps Charlie and Frank annul their marriage and while the actually used take has him talk about 'a series of elephant drawings' they made several takes where he just comes up with different animal drawings and Danny and Charlie come up with slightly different responses.

Editx2: the best improv is probably Dennis reading Charlie's campaign speech which was entirely improved, here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwHti7AEzDc

Charlie is actually cracking up the entire take.

emanresu tnuocca fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jan 15, 2016

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

Victorkm posted:

Probably because they actually improv'd those scenes.

That's what I love about this show - they shoot one take on-script, and then after that they start to goof around.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

many johnnys posted:

That's what I love about this show - they shoot one take on-script, and then after that they start to goof around.

I know someone who was a featured extra (I think) and they said the gang let her riff on her own lines, scenes even and she's just in one episode.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
There's the chubbie juggalo\black-face dude who's in "Dee Reynolds: Shaping America's Youth" whom you can see improvising a bit on the blooper reel and the guys are encouraging him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juTRtJe-x1E

3:32

Hadaka Apron
Feb 12, 2015
I am seriously thinking about commissioning a mock-up for an anime
-style hug pillow with Frank on it. Someone talk me out of this.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Hadaka Apron posted:

I am seriously thinking about commissioning a mock-up for an anime
-style hug pillow with Frank on it. Someone talk me out of this.

I'd buy one.

TASTE THE PAIN!!
May 18, 2004

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Frank's problem is that people don't trust him, he's a piece of poo poo and he's ugly and he oozes sleaze. And he's very very ugly.

This and the bit about the God hole are some of my favorite lines. That whole exchange in the back room is great really

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
Can't wait for the episode with the workaholics crew. Going to be loving glorious!!! Also that show is back on by the way.

Hadaka Apron
Feb 12, 2015

Even if he's completely naked on one side?

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Especially.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Make it extra-sweaty Frank, on a black background, so I can store it between the cushions of my leather couch.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Does it come with an egg? Where do I pay?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Precedents
May 5, 2005

Precedents come and go, but death goes on forever.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

There's the chubbie juggalo\black-face dude who's in "Dee Reynolds: Shaping America's Youth" whom you can see improvising a bit on the blooper reel and the guys are encouraging him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juTRtJe-x1E

3:32

This guy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3I98e4xyhU at 2:35 seems to crack them the hell up.