Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
McAlister
Nov 3, 2002

by exmarx
So a few days back a Chelsea statement was posted withthe non - interesting part of it bolded. The interesting part was her claiming Bernie's health care plan was poorly written and would let GOP governors gently caress it up like they did the Medicaid expansion. That is a very scary claim. So what is she basing this claim on? I didn't address it last night because I wanted to know more before commenting on it.

Step one: read Bernie's proposed UHC bill.

I hit a snag right of the bat. He doesn't have a set written plan. He's been promising to release one but hadn't yet. What he has is a collection of high level vision statements and the assertion that his actual plan will be based on a bill he sponsored in 2013 - S. 1789.

Step two: read S. 1789 in its entirety.

https://www.congress.gov/bill/113th-congress/senate-bill/1782/text

I was eight paragraphs in when I began to see Chelsea's point.

quote:

(d) Sense Of The Senate Concerning State Flexibility.—It is the sense of the Senate that in order to provide high quality health care coverage for all Americans while controlling costs in order to make American companies more competitive, individual States should be given maximum flexibility in designing health care programs to improve the individual experience of care and the health of populations, and to reduce the per capita costs of care for each State.

That's certainly bodes ill ... But it's high level. In the intro. What are the actual provisions of state powers and responsibilities?

Reading on ... Good, good, weird, good, not sure what that even means, very good - keeping federal control of coverage minimums, oh. I think I found it.

quote:

(A) Payment for such health care services is at the rate that is approved by the State health security program in the State in which the services are provided, unless the States concerned agree to apportion the cost between them in a different manner.

His plan would let the states set the reimbursement rates for doctors.
So let's say you live in Kansas and Brownback set the reimbursement to $1 per service, with you being responsible for the remaining bill. Can you rely on any other program to help out?

quote:

(A) no benefits shall be available under title XVIII of the Social Security Act for any item or service furnished after December 31, 2014;

(B) no individual is entitled to medical assistance under a State plan approved under title XIX of such Act for any item or service furnished after such date;

(C) no individual is entitled to medical assistance under an SCHIP plan under title XXI of such Act for any item or service furnished after such date; and

(D) no payment shall be made to a State under section 1903(a) or 2105(a) of such Act with respect to medical assistance or child health assistance for any item or service furnished after such date.

Looks like no. Pretty much all other forms of government assistance at the state and federal level are prohibited from covering anything in the uhc. There is one carve out though:

quote:

(d) Treatment Of Benefits For Veterans And Native Americans.—Nothing in this Act shall affect the eligibility of veterans for the medical benefits and services provided under title 38, United States Code, or of Indians for the medical benefits and services provided by or through the Indian Health Service.

So the troops still get theirs. But you'll have to get private insurance to get your heart checked out ... Wait ... Wtf? Why is this even here?

quote:

(c) No Duplicate Health Insurance.—Each State health security program shall prohibit the sale of health insurance in the State if payment under the insurance duplicates payment for any items or services for which payment may be made under such a program.

So if Brownback decides to add abortion coverage to the Kansas state plan with a plan pay of one penny, now all private insurers in Kansas are prohibited by federal law from offering abortion coverage.

Wonderful. That'll take some rear end in a top hat all of 20 minutes to figure out. And I'm only a quarter of the way through. Need to read the rest, maybe something later mulligans and fixes this. Back in I go ....

Ok, I started skimming. But then I saw this, this could fix it ...

quote:

(B) No charge will be made for any covered services other than for payment authorized by this Act.

This could be an upward pressure on the state controlled payment schedule. It's draconian as hell but if doctors are forced to charge only the state mandated amount for covered care then you can't stick people with copays ... You can still do shenanigans like set the fee so low for certain items that doctors can't afford to offer the service at all but it would blunt things somewhat ...

Never mind.

This is in the participating providers section. Participation by doctors isn't mandatory. They have to opt in. If they don't then they can charge whatever they want. So we have a two tiered system of UHC in Kansas with poors who can't find doctors willing to accept the state reimbursement pennies and middle class+ people paying out of pocket ( since private insurance isn't allowed to cover anything on the list ).

Moving on ..., stuff that seems ok, no brainers, how on earth would you even enforce that, good, general administration provisions ... Huh.

So at the federal level you have a six member board determined by presidential appointment running this. They each have six year terms and one comes up for replacement every year. So in the fourth year of any presidential term the president has a majority. I wonder if Bernie has considered the potential for abuse ... Yes he seems to be aware of it:

quote:

No more than 3 members shall be from the same political party.

That's a lovely sentiment. But like several other much less relevant sentences, how the hell do you even enforce that? There is no DNA test for party affiliation.

Blah blah blah, pay scales and titles. New section, cost containment. Huh.

quote:

(1) IN GENERAL.—By not later than September 1 before the beginning of each year (beginning with 2012), the Board shall establish a national health security budget, which—

(A) specifies the total expenditures (including expenditures for administrative costs) to be made by the Federal Government and the States for covered health care services under this Act; and

(B) allocates those expenditures among the States consistent with section 604.

Pursuant to subsection (b), such budget for a year shall not exceed the budget for the preceding year increased by the percentage increase in gross domestic product.

So ... Instead of tying it to inflation and putting in a floor by which it [b]must
increase every year, Bernie put in a ceiling past which it may not increase every year. This, basically, loads a gun and puts it to the laws head. In the year of our trump 4 the trunpanista majority board members vote to reduce the plan budget to a pittance paid out to the states in quarterly installments of a fraction of a pittance. The democratic president who follows can't fix it because his board can only increase it 4% due to gdp growth. Brilliant.

Moving on. Block grant wankery, boring , so tired, should I just stop? No. Next section is regulating state payment to providers. Maybe there are payment floors here. If there are and I don't read it I'll look really stupid when someone else point ms them out. Sigh.

Ok, a lot of this is unworkable but not in a short quote way. Basically it attempts to resolve the conflict of interest between a fee per service model and wanting to save money by asking doctors pretty please not to abuse the fee per service model. It then continues to recommend that states increase the fees per service to address shortages .. Like if you need more pediatrician a increase pediatric fees. But it permits them to adjust the fees quarterly while it takes years to train a new doctor. So not really workable but whatever.

Next section, prescription drugs! Yay! I used to work in this field.

So Bernie's plan is we figure out what a drug should cost and strong arm the pharmacy into selling it for that much on pain of not covering them if they overcharge.

quote:

(2) EXCLUSIONS.—The Board may exclude reimbursement under this Act for ineffective, unsafe, or over-priced products where better alternatives are determined to be available.

There was a test case in my drug utilization review code for approving a liquid medication that cost 5x what a pill did. Same active ingredients. But the patient had injuries such that she couldn't swallow a pill but could swallow a liquid. So this "overpriced" drug was covered in her specific case because the cheap version physically couldn't be administered.

If the margin on the liquid form was large enough to classify it as price gouging, but the patient needs that variant, then refusing coverage entirely is wrong. At least cover what you would cover if they weren't gouging. And making determinations like "better" or "available" isn't something a board can do in Washington. That's very much a physician on the scene call. Which is why our system allowed physician overrides of cost saving restrictions. That flexibility should be put in here.

Ok, a bunch more stuff. None of it interesting. The payment section is actually pretty fleshed out but he took that transaction tax and is using it for a different promise so he can't re-use it in his final draft of this bill.

Done.

I rate the Chelsea's charge that this thing - as written - can't handle bad actors, "true". Uhc is good but this bill is poorly written.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

McAlister posted:

too many words

Dude enough already just admit this is a bad tack for a democratic candidate to take against another dem candidate and move on. It's that simple. You don't have to twist yourself into knots to support every move this long term politician is going to make to try to win.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
Its a bad idea to point out that one canidate has no real idea as to how to implement the policy that they have proposed? Or how to fund it? It as if one canidate is a back bench senator from a state with a population smaller than most major cities and near zero legislation under his belt that has risen to popularity spouting the same populist rhetoric espoused by the occupy Wallstreet crowd with a with a similar myopic view as to how these institutions operate.

This poo poo is complicated. Acting as if anything can be solved in broad strokes is incompetence boarding on negligence. Its near the same as the addage of playing chess with a pigeon.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Bad actors are why 50+% of people have given up on voting altogether.

I think the time for a constitutional convention is coming.

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

bird cooch posted:

Its a bad idea to point out that one canidate has no real idea as to how to implement the policy that they have proposed? Or how to fund it? It as if one canidate is a back bench senator from a state with a population smaller than most major cities and near zero legislation under his belt that has risen to popularity spouting the same populist rhetoric espoused by the occupy Wallstreet crowd with a with a similar myopic view as to how these institutions operate.

This poo poo is complicated. Acting as if anything can be solved in broad strokes is incompetence boarding on negligence. Its near the same as the addage of playing chess with a pigeon.

No, it's a bad idea to do it in such a way where the narrative in america is that: the ACA is enough and just needs tweaking what do we need that silly ol' single payer for.

And mcalister is annoying.

McDowell posted:

Bad actors are why 50+% of people have given up on voting altogether.

I think the time for a constitutional convention is coming.

Not until the state governments actually get fixed or at least more even. Joementum made a very good case against it.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
The aca is something we have to bulid upon vs. Pie in the sky ideals crusades. Tilting at windmills slays no dragons and gets us no better healthcare than we have currently. Improving and expanding the aca is a vastly more more realistic goal than wishing hard enough to make single payer happen when the aca could only get passed with both chambers and a boat load of concessions resulting in millions still without heathcare.

The sanders campaign is vapor-ware in needs to be exposed as such as soon as possible. He has no healthcare plan, no tax plan, no politcal coalition and no party backing. All he has is a stump speach that is purpose built for a generation that grew up in the rubble of the bush administration but has no political memory of the time before with the battle cry of 'Lifes not fair!'. Its not and that sucks, but you dont fix anything by throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

bird cooch fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Jan 15, 2016

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
The day we have enough Democrats in congress to improve the ACA is the day we have enough Democrats to pass Medicare-for-All.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
No? You can tell by the aca exsisting.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

bird cooch posted:

A good number of people who voted for it are gone or on the way out.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Healthcare should not be a thing that people can profit from, hth.

Bifner McDoogle
Mar 31, 2006

"Life unworthy of life" (German: Lebensunwertes Leben) is a pragmatic liberal designation for the segments of the populace which they view as having no right to continue existing, due to the expense of extending them basic human dignity.

the_paradigm_shift posted:

No, it's a bad idea to do it in such a way where the narrative in america is that: the ACA is enough and just needs tweaking what do we need that silly ol' single payer for.

I think thats closer to the party narrative, it doesn't really square with the narrative I've observed over the past 7 years. The narrative in America in general seems to be split between considering the ACA a disappointment that amounted to nothing that would help anyone versus considering it as tyrannical overreach that has gutted the economy and destroyed heathcare system and killed tons of people.
In my personal experience it's a cumbersome annoying program and I wish it could have been a lot better but it still managed to save my life and kept me insured when I was between jobs for a month (which was the difference between paying maybe 500 bucks for insurance covering my epilepsy medication vs. $10,000 per bottle) which is nice. So I'm pretty out of step with either side of this narrative, which is fine because both sides of that narrative are totally out of touch with reality.

Eschers Basement
Sep 13, 2007

by exmarx

Tight Booty Shorts posted:

Healthcare should not be a thing that people can profit from, hth.

So you're against doctors making a living, then?

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Eschers Basement posted:

yes, just like all the doctors in all the other industrialized nations! :downs:

CheeseSpawn
Sep 15, 2004
Doctor Rope

Eschers Basement posted:

I'm sure majority of doctors got in their field to make money instead of saving/improving lives. :rolleyes:

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
Thankfully they can do both.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Typical Pubbie posted:

Thankfully they can do both.

And when you do both, you get the state of healthcare in America. Which is abysmal. Hope this helps :)

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

bird cooch posted:

You could just admit that you don't understand politics instead of making such a statement.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tight Booty Shorts posted:

yes, just like all the doctors in all the other industrialized nations! :downs:

so in other words, you're not actually against healthcare being a thing that people can profit from, hth

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

McAlister posted:

bernie health plan breakdown

yikes. turns out bonzai buddy does know a thing or two

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Eschers Basement posted:

today I learned that employees of a non-profit draw no salary

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

so in other words, you're not actually against healthcare being a thing that people can profit from, hth

What? In other industrialized nations, doctors still make a living even though they are part of a UHC system. Hth :)

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/Heminator/status/687993363828621317

The Business Wing of the GOP ladies and gentlemen.

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

It's hard to keep sand out of ears this big.
Fun Shoe
Can state stuff go in here too? Because Brownback just released his governor proposed budget and most Disney villains would be too ashamed to have it attached to their names.

http://www.kansascity.com/news/government-politics/article54451360.html

Highlights include:
Defunding Early Headstart.
Privatizing the Bioscience Authority.
Partially defunding the Parents as Teachers program if you're salary is 200% above poverty levels.
Stealing $50.6m from the "Children's Initiative Fund" which is paid for by tobacco settlement money.
$25.5m cut to SCHIP which provides healthcare to children in low income households and pretending it's fine because federal dollars increased.
Eliminating the KanCare Health Homes which provides long term care for the chronically ill (both physical and mental health) on medicare/medicaid. These were created as a safety measure when the state previously privatized medicaid so that the chronically ill wouldn't be completely thrown out on the street to die.

:aaaaa::aaaaa::aaaaa::aaaaa::aaaaa::aaaaa::aaaaa::aaaaa::aaaaa::aaaaa::aaaaa:

Anubis fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jan 15, 2016

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

Taerkar posted:

You could just admit that you don't understand politics instead of making such a statement.

Thats funny. You are funny. Good job.

McDowell posted:

A good number of people who voted for it are gone or on the way out.

This is true and not necessarily a good thing.

bird cooch fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Jan 15, 2016

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

the_paradigm_shift posted:

Won't they just keep appealing the settlement down to almost nothing like Chase did?

No. You typically can't appeal a settlement or consent judgment (and the MBS settlements have included explicit appeal waivers). JPMC appealed a judgment (actually appealed a decision about how to allocate responsibility for WaMu, which they had purchased.)

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

Kalman posted:

No. You typically can't appeal a settlement or consent judgment (and the MBS settlements have included explicit appeal waivers). JPMC appealed a judgment (actually appealed a decision about how to allocate responsibility for WaMu, which they had purchased.)

Excellent I was really curious what made this different so thank you. At least they have to actually pay this money.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Anubis posted:

Can state stuff go in here too? Because Brownback just released his governor proposed budget and most Disney villains would be too ashamed to have it attached to their names.

http://www.kansascity.com/news/government-politics/article54451360.html

Highlights include:
Defunding Early Headstart.
Privatizing the Bioscience Authority.
Partially defunding the Parents as Teachers program if you're salary is 200% above poverty levels.
Stealing $50.6m from the "Children's Initiative Fund" which is paid for by tobacco settlement money.
$25.5m cut to SCHIP which provides healthcare to children in low income households and pretending it's fine because federal dollars increased.
Eliminating the KanCare Health Homes which provides long term care for the chronically ill (both physical and mental health) on medicare/medicaid. These were created as a safety measure when the state previously privatized medicaid so that the conically ill wouldn't be completely thrown out on the street to die.

:aaaaa::aaaaa::aaaaa::aaaaa::aaaaa::aaaaa::aaaaa::aaaaa::aaaaa::aaaaa::aaaaa:

Yeesh. This goes beyond typical callous douchebaggery into the realm of child hating supervillainy.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?
Adding hth to the end of your sentence is snide and condescending as gently caress, hth

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Lotka Volterra posted:

It's meaningless in the same way a speeding ticket is meaningless. It makes me sad and makes me somewhat more aware of how I'm driving (for a time) but doesn't mean I will never speed again, or even rarely.

I'm sorry that I treat destroying thousands if not millions of people's lives in the name of greed to be a slightly more serious crime than smoking the weed

You're in nouveau D&D where Republicans aren't largely motivated by racism and where Banks can regulate themselves and where fines actually matter to financial institutions. Moderation in all things. Let's not be too hasty. If we get too riled up a socialist may get in White House!

If you want anything to change regarding the financial institutions then people need to actually go to prison. Fines just don't matter in the long term since they punish institutions rather than individuals. Individuals make decisions within organizations and those individuals need to have harmful decisions dis-incentivized with harsh individual punishments.

Until the folks who make these kinds of harmful decisions and implement these harmful practices at these financial institutions have to fear individual punishment nothing will change - in the same way that us peasants avoid committing crimes, if we're the type to want to in the first place, because we fear punishment.

It's pretty basic human psychology, risk vs. reward stuff. Something anyone working in finance understands completely. The short term rewards of doing shady but profitable poo poo far outweigh any future fine the company you work for may have to pay. The risks have to be more likely and be more punishing for folks to avoid going after the reward.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Geostomp posted:

Yeesh. This goes beyond typical callous douchebaggery into the realm of child hating supervillainy.

Republicans in 2016. Yep, checks out.

Edit: Doesn't China execute crooked bankers?

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Quorum posted:

Adding hth to the end of your sentence is snide and condescending as gently caress, hth

some people deserve to be condescended to, hth

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

Eschers Basement posted:

lol ITT goons don't understand that people in non-profits still get paid

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

this_is_hard posted:

lol ITT goons don't understand that people in non-profits still get paid

Never mind med school being a giant pit you shovel money and coffee into.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I don't think doctor salaries are the primary cost driver for healthcare.

But I wonder if docs would take smaller salaries if we subsidized the cost of med school.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
In case anyone wants to keep track of super delegates, Paul Kirk endorsed Bernie Sanders this week. He was DNC Chairman from 1985-89, making him a delegate-for-life at the DNC.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

zoux posted:

But I wonder if docs would take smaller salaries if we subsidized the cost of med school.

Probably for many.

But how would you deal with all the doctors currently practicing who would need to make a pay cut and didn't get their school subsidized?

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

zoux posted:

My fiance will pay about $400,000 once it's all said and done so yeah if it was cheaper that'd be good. Also if residents got paid a fair wage that would be nice too. $44k a year for 80 hour weeks after 8 years of school is hosed.

Kristov
Jul 5, 2005

zoux posted:

Probably. My bro is looking for a job out in the sticks because it pays better than in places where people actually want to live because those places 'only' pay around 160k/yr. This matters when your loans are over a quarter million at usurious interest rates.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

MasterSlowPoke posted:

My fiance will pay about $400,000 once it's all said and done so yeah if it was cheaper that'd be good. Also if residents got paid a fair wage that would be nice too. $44k a year for 80 hour weeks after 8 years of school is hosed.

I've always heard that the punishing residency stays around because if all the old docs had to do that, by god you will too. May be apocryphal, I guess.

Shifty Pony posted:

But how would you deal with all the doctors currently practicing who would need to make a pay cut and didn't get their school subsidized?

You're going to have to fight docs, nurses and institutional inertia if you want a sweeping reform of the US healthcare system, so we should probably start preparing ourselves to deal with doctors' hurt feelings anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kristov
Jul 5, 2005

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Also if residents got paid a fair wage that would be nice too. $44k a year for 80 hour weeks after 8 years of school is hosed.

Also true. Long hours in the medical profession also strikes me as unwise from a patient safely perspective as well.

• Locked thread