Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MagnumOpus
Dec 7, 2006

Wiz posted:

Internal stability as limiter does not work, really. If it's effective enough to be a serious limiter for an experienced player, players will utterly despise it and complain until it's neutered. External limiters and time based penalties work much, much better.

Can you elaborate on this? I'm very interested in this from a game design POV. What makes the one disturb experienced players while the other is okay?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Any good advice for playing in India, particularly as Vijayanagara? I can easily get to the point where I can form Bharat, but even with the permanent claims on all of India I get severely hindered by aggressive expansion, since everyone north of me is Muslim. I'm guessing that Influence and/or Humanist ideas are mandatory.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

I bet players wouldn't have a visceral reaction to stab events if they didn't have that crashing cymbal to go along with them. I should consider making that the alarm tone on my phone.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Load times have substantially increased for me, I think it started a week or two ago. WTF is going on? Is it just me?

The game runs fine once it actually loads, except when trying to load a save file, which crashes the client about 25% of the time.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Happy Hedonist posted:

Load times have substantially increased for me, I think it started a week or two ago. WTF is going on? Is it just me?

The game runs fine once it actually loads, except when trying to load a save file, which crashes the client about 25% of the time.

Every time someone unironically types "boni" or "bonii" in this forum, someone's client randomly gets unstable. Looks like you're the unlucky one. Sorry.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

YF-23 posted:

I personally dislike the 50 year slower complete map discovery if your capital's in Africa. Why is that even there?

Much needed nerf to Kongo IMHO.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Node posted:

Every time someone unironically types "boni" or "bonii" in this forum, someone's client randomly gets unstable. Looks like you're the unlucky one. Sorry.

Please stop making up words and trashing my install. Also, "cheevos". :smuggo:

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Happy Hedonist posted:

Please stop making up words and trashing my install. Also, "cheevos". :smuggo:

But if we don't talk about the bonii how will people be able to earn their cheevii. :(

MagnumOpus
Dec 7, 2006

Wait wait in all this I think we're forgetting the real victims: malii.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Europii Universalii IV: Adding ii to everythingii

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Fintilgin posted:

Europii Universalii IV: Adding ii to everythingii

A bit late on that - there's already been a Europa Universalis ii

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Dibujante posted:

A bit late on that - there's already been a Europa Universalis ii

Could have saved it for EU V.

Agent Boogeyman
Feb 17, 2005

"This cannot POSSIBLY be good. . ."

Fister Roboto posted:

Any good advice for playing in India, particularly as Vijayanagara? I can easily get to the point where I can form Bharat, but even with the permanent claims on all of India I get severely hindered by aggressive expansion, since everyone north of me is Muslim. I'm guessing that Influence and/or Humanist ideas are mandatory.

The Diplo tree as well. Influence, Humanist and Diplomacy are the three trees that help out Vajayanagar the most. I haven't played as them since the Cossacks dropped though, so the Estate system may have changed the strategy I used a bit. But yeah, you want all the things that will help reduce negative opinion of you as soon as possible, especially in the religious and aggressive expansion department. I think you'd just want to beeline for State Propaganda in the Influence tree right from the start.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Agent Boogeyman posted:

The Diplo tree as well. Influence, Humanist and Diplomacy are the three trees that help out Vajayanagar the most. I haven't played as them since the Cossacks dropped though, so the Estate system may have changed the strategy I used a bit. But yeah, you want all the things that will help reduce negative opinion of you as soon as possible, especially in the religious and aggressive expansion department. I think you'd just want to beeline for State Propaganda in the Influence tree right from the start.

On the other hand I recommend taking Exploration first as any decent-size Indian state. You can easily get footholds in South Africa and SE Asia and split your expansion between India and beating up Indonesian or African nations, that will help your AE out by giving you other targets.

Also makes for a lot easier westernization.

Personally I find myself more limited by manpower than AE when playing in India, simply because it's mostly Arid or Tropical terrain meaning loads of attrition.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

YF-23 posted:

I personally dislike the 50 year slower complete map discovery if your capital's in Africa. Why is that even there?

*pulls out diagram comparing the Teutonic and Negroid skull structure*

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

YF-23 posted:

Because the main African states either have the Sahara in the way or are isolated mountain kingdoms like Ethiopia. How that works for Berber states or the Mamluks is beyond me tho

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
The whole tech system is in need of an overhaul.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Larry Parrish posted:

They shouldn't have 78% though

You picked like 3 +10 burgher influence options and got an unlucky extra +20 (possibly even before picking those options? I don't remember the timespans).

I get if your beef is having to go check the estates tab every time an event pops, I hate that poo poo too, but the 78% basically resulted from your choices.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Whorelord posted:

Because the main African states either have the Sahara in the way or are isolated mountain kingdoms like Ethiopia. How that works for Berber states or the Mamluks is beyond me tho

Even then I don't see why an isolated North American tribe should have knowledge of the whole world 50 years before a west African kingdom. There's plenty other places the world over that were just as isolated that make singling out Africa as a place that gets a (barely even) later discovery date simply weird and out of place.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Presumably so that former CNs can get the reveals as well, since they wouldn't get it based on tech group now. If some isolated American tribe suddenly gets a bunch of map reveals, it's not going to make a difference anyway.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

PittTheElder posted:

Presumably so that former CNs can get the reveals as well, since they wouldn't get it based on tech group now. If some isolated American tribe suddenly gets a bunch of map reveals, it's not going to make a difference anyway.

Will it make a difference if some african minor gets map reveals?

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Getting a complete map reveal in 1750 instead of 1700 itself will not make much of a difference. Which makes the choice to add that extra 50 year period all the more perplexing.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Agent Boogeyman posted:

Yeah that's exactly what I did. Influence is really nice because you start off with a vassal that you can feed most of the key provinces you need to form Bharat (unfortunately you'd need to give up a core to feed them the northern ones), so you can focus your admin points on unlocking the second idea set and Humanism. Estates don't really change much, but they do help mitigate a really nasty historical event that raises autonomy in most of your provinces.

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Regarding the map reveals, the dev diary seems to indicate that being for starting dates, not in-game dates. Unless the dev diary is just badly written.

and since when do people start games after 1700?

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

GSD posted:

and since when do people start games after 1700?

The next EU4 dlc should be about alt-history events/missions and the later start dates.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

It would be really nice if there was no penalty for a separate truce after call to peace goes out. It's really annoying when you're in a war with an ally that you want to keep happy and they just keep going while your WE goes through the roof.

Kagon
Jan 25, 2005

Fister Roboto posted:

It would be really nice if there was no penalty for a separate truce after call to peace goes out. It's really annoying when you're in a war with an ally that you want to keep happy and they just keep going while your WE goes through the roof.

This would be wonderful. I've gotten ridiculous amounts of war exhaustion because an important ally like Austria is war leader, sitting at 99% war score and deciding to sit around another few years before they peace out for some insignificant gain. If I separate peace out, it feels like I'm just asking for them to break the alliance.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I cant believe that we as human players can get WE from Call for Peace in a war where AI is the Warleader in the first place. It just seems like it should be changed for the sake of gameplay since the player cannot affect it at all.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Can't wait for the epic bonii that'll let me get the next cheevo in muh mapmans

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Larry Parrish posted:

bird mana

Horsebanger
Jun 25, 2009

Steering wheel! Hey! Steering wheel! Someone tell him to give it to me!

Larry Parrish posted:

This hurt my head a bit.

I recently had a HRE Austria run with an annoying chain of events. When I attacked the Papal State, I left them defenseless against florence, which took Urbino off them. I couldn't rein in Northern Italy, as I didn't have all of the provinces under my control, the one province under Florence, a HRE member, blocked me and Italy left the Empire.

Seems dumb.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost
50 year slower spread for Africa only applies to an inferior that hasn't had any contact with Europe, coastal states will get spread long before that.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

MagnumOpus posted:

Can you elaborate on this? I'm very interested in this from a game design POV. What makes the one disturb experienced players while the other is okay?

The gist of it is how players perceive agency and consequense. The player views their country as an extension of themselves, so if something is wrong with that 'self', it is considered unfair unless the player did something to 'deserve' it. Gloriously conquering all their neighbours and getting massive unrest at home as a result is thus perceived highly negatively, as though the game is telling them that they're wrong for winning.

External limiters, on the other hand, are viewed very differently. The player doesn't have to have screwed up to be invaded and conquered by an AI, because the AI is viewed as having its own agency and motives outside of the player's choices. Time limiters, while often muttered about, are viewed as simply part of the great impartial game rules - so long as everyone has to play by them, they're at least tolerable.

None of these are hard rules mind you: There are people who are OK with internal punishments for success and others who don't think the AI should be allowed to pick on them unless they've done something to deserve it.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Wiz posted:

50 year slower spread for Africa only applies to an inferior that hasn't had any contact with Europe

Yeah but why?

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Larry Parrish posted:

You forgot to include mana in there.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

YF-23 posted:

Yeah but why?

Because it was the part of the world most isolated from Europe.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Average Bear posted:

The whole tech system is in need of an overhaul.

Maybe the solution is to give Europe bonuses instead of everyone else penalties.

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

Gort posted:

Maybe the solution is to give Europe bonuses instead of everyone else penalties.
Even more? I feel like it's already entirely possible to have a significant technology lead playing as an European nation (unlocking techs at 8-900 MP). Unless you revamp the technologies to cost more, but at that point it's just a "penalty" in everything but name?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

I think I've not been clear. Currently the system works this way:

Western Tech Group: 100% tech costs
Everyone else: More than 100% tech costs

Europe isn't getting bonuses in that system, they're just not getting penalised the way everyone else is.

Gort fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Jan 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Gort posted:

It could be worth tying the magical "1700" date to a certain level of admin tech instead. That ties it to tech level without tying it to tech group.

• Locked thread