Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Nicholas posted:

Dont think of Star Citizen as the reason; it's just a symptom of some pre-existing mental deficiency, and an outlet for poor decision making.

I would argue it's more an exploitative of those mental deficiencies than a symptom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Libluini posted:

I'm not, because I'm always thinking about all the marriages ruined and the children now without a college fund. :mad:

If they are stupid enough to spend enough money on a loving video game to ruin their lives, I have no sympathy for them. And it is probably better than their marriage is ruined, because their spouse was married to a loving idiot.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
But all the biggest ones seem to be from the states. See, wulge, wesha, etc.

Dapper Dan posted:

If they are stupid enough to spend enough money on a loving video game to ruin their lives, I have no sympathy for them. And it is probably better than their marriage is ruined, because their spouse was married to a loving idiot.

:same:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Nicholas posted:

Dont think of Star Citizen as the reason; it's just a symptom of some pre-existing mental deficiency, and an outlet for poor decision making.

Still, the next time the USA starts a war on drugs, I hope they bomb CIG-offices, too. Or at least declare Chris Roberts and his wife to be terrorists.

(I see those dumb weirdos like drug addicts, just because the damage is less visible it doesn't mean it isn't there. We don't make fun of Heroin addicts when they destroy their life, so why shouldn't I feel bad for those other guys?)

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
The thing is, you shouldn't feel bad for people destroying their own lives, no matter the reason.

Guide them away from it, sure, prevent shitlers from enabling them, but if a guy wants to gently caress himself up, he'll find a way. No point in feeling bad about it.

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

:getin:

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

:rowdytrout:

bumbles
Nov 26, 2015

by Lowtax
Did anyone manage to find any golden nuggets from that Frenchie article?

iron buns
Jan 12, 2016

Libluini posted:

Still, the next time the USA starts a war on drugs, I hope they bomb CIG-offices, too. Or at least declare Chris Roberts and his wife to be terrorists.

(I see those dumb weirdos like drug addicts, just because the damage is less visible it doesn't mean it isn't there. We don't make fun of Heroin addicts when they destroy their life, so why shouldn't I feel bad for those other guys?)

Star Citizen: Opium for the Whales

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Beet Wagon posted:

CIG, trash that SQ42 script. I'll cook you up a better one for the low low price of making Derek Smart the main character.

Derek Smart is giving a speech, aliens invade, Derek scares them off just by going "LET ME loving FINISH!"

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

bumbles posted:

Did anyone manage to find any golden nuggets from that Frenchie article?

French article still a physical thing only and they dont sell in any outlets outside of France, Belgium and Swiss. I have yet to find a digital copy of it, even behind paywalls.

bumbles
Nov 26, 2015

by Lowtax

aleksendr posted:

French article still a physical thing only and they dont sell in any outlets outside of France, Belgium and Swiss. I have yet to find a digital copy of it, even behind paywalls.

thank you good sir

paywalls pfff..

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I would argue it's more an exploitative of those mental deficiencies than a symptom.
It's hard for me to discern which is the cause and which is the effect. I remember feeling extremely uncomfortable though when I saw a Reddit post suggesting getting people with depression into Star Citizen to "help" them

You think CIG is intentionally exploiting those with mental illness?

Mirificus fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jan 15, 2016

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

aleksendr posted:

Never have I regretted more taking machine typing instead of French in school.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Mirificus posted:

It's hard for me to discern which is the cause and which is the effect. I remember feeling extremely uncomfortable though when I saw a Reddit post suggesting getting people with depression into Star Citizen to "help" them

It's the only rationale that would lend even the slightest bit of credence to Sandi's claim of being good at her job. As much as Hanlon's razor says we should pin it on stupidity, malice has become an increasingly reasonable explanation.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Wuxi posted:

Sandi will release a teary-eyed video.

bumbles
Nov 26, 2015

by Lowtax
Children just don't get it.

:psyduck:

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2016/01/15/star-citizen-alpha-21-releases-today

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Libluini posted:

Never have I regretted more taking machine typing instead of French in school.

I dont expect to find more than what we already know but the tone of the article might be very acidic. CIG has no studio in France so i would be doubtfull they have access to sources we havent already explored.

The journal have a 300 members strong Org, named CPC (Canards Patrouilleurs Célestes / Celestial Duck Patrol)

bumbles
Nov 26, 2015

by Lowtax
Beastlybeast22 seems nice

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

This is not "THE" article. Appears to be a small prequel.

http://www.canardpc.com/oser-dire-quun-projet-va-mur-dentendre-bruit-crash.html

Oser dire qu’un projet va dans le mur (avant d’entendre le bruit du crash)

*edit* Bad google translate:

As expected by Chris Roberts, its creator, the game Star Citizen has officially pass the 100 million in crowdfunding. For this step is not a number, Cloud Imperium Games has released a playable version of part of the game, called "alpha 2.0".

When a folder dedicated to it, we will return in detail in the Canard PC of the season (15 January 2016) on what we can say in this version of the game (if we can run the crash without more ... 5 minutes), and the questions it poses for a project in development for 3 years with (at least) $ 100 million budget. Meanwhile, you will find below the text of the "Corner of the game", published Feb. 15, 2015 under the title "Dare to say that a project is in the wall (before hearing the sound of the crash" ( Canard PC No. 312): it is always dangerously valid.

- O -

black small

Condemn a game before the test, that does not happen. By extension, criticizing a game before it is finished, this is not done either. Who knows if a last-minute miracle is not going to intervene? If a small magic secret sauce will not be applied just before serving, which suddenly give a special flavor to the whole? But still, sometimes, the clues pile up, and ...

Let's put an absent former glory of video game for 10 years to come back, like so many others, to fund a participatory manner following his old hits, a game of its kind to ferry sand. Imagine that in the description of his project, he adds roughly the features of an MMO, those of a solo game and also those of a multiplayer action game, so three games in one, and all at a fixed price , without subscription; it would not make you frown? And if for this extraordinarily ambitious game, this developer set a goal on Kickstarter only € 500,000, it does not worry you a little bit about the seriousness of the thing?

Now imagine that the Kickstarter campaign was a huge success and the game gets over four times the stake in 2012, congratulations, but the developer then imperturbably continuing calls for donations, this time on his own website: you do not would become suspicious ? And if for tucking under while it has already raised more than 10 times its initial kickstart, the studio began to sell -in advance donc- virtual items for his game several hundred dollars apiece, you feel the unborn the drops of sweat?

You understood, this game exists. This is a space simulation called Star Citizen and was launched by Chris Roberts, a producer in the 90 Wing Commander and Starlancer. His new studio, Cloud Imperium Games Corporation, founded in 2011, exploded all crowdfunding records by accumulating now over $ 70 million in total (and it expects to reach the 100 million in 2015 ). Yet it still sells access to early draft of his play between $ 50 and $ 100, and additional vessels between $ 45 and $ 300. Continue to raise money and then we have already raised more than 100 times the goal Kickstarter casts serious doubt on the honesty of the originally stated objectives or honesty at all.

small white

But there are more worrying. Today, Cloud Imperium Games Corporation is working nearly 300 people in five different studios (three internal and two external). It is a task of extreme complexity, which poses difficult problems for more experienced publishers, both technically and logistically. Now this is the first realization of a studio whose president has directed more video game development since 2000. To carry out this project smoothly in these conditions would require such an accumulation of talent and efficiency that simply fall short of miraculous. As a bonus, with donations and pre-order the game today is already sold 500,000 copies. Does the public of such very specific and very demanding PC game is not already attained? Even if everything went as planned, how many more copies would find takers for sure, after the release, monitoring the game, the cost of servers, and debugging, while respecting the original promise of a game without subscription or pay -to-win?

One should not criticize a game before it is finished, nor condemn him before its release. But the information available, honesty and common sense needed to write clearly it is almost impossible that Star Citizen keep its promises.

(Drawings: Couly This article is number 312 of Canard PC, published February 15, 2015.)

spacetoaster fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jan 15, 2016

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

so the quote:

quote:

Never argue with stupid people, because they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

can now be change to

quote:

Never argue with Sperg Citizens, because they will drag you down to their level and tell you don't know game development

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

Truga posted:

The thing is, you shouldn't feel bad for people destroying their own lives, no matter the reason.

Guide them away from it, sure, prevent shitlers from enabling them, but if a guy wants to gently caress himself up, he'll find a way. No point in feeling bad about it.

20 years ago it would have been Beanie Babies.

17 years ago, pets.com stock.

10 years ago, a Bernie Madoff Ponzi scheme.

5 years ago, those French or German gold coins scammers sold at a 70% mark-up over their melt value.

I guarantee you a number of these idiots "invested" in Bitcoin right around the same time they bought into this.

Greed. Greed never changes.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
Well Oblivion was released 2006 and Skyrim in 2011 so I guess that's where he got his stupid figure, but development started in like 2008

I'd imagine the same guy maintains SC began development in 2013 because :smug:

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Translation of the cartoon :

- Ah ? The milky way is actually composed of millions of shiny dollars.

- That must be the Kickstarter effect.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

I wonder where they get that 700,000 copies sold from.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Tippis posted:

It's the only rationale that would lend even the slightest bit of credence to Sandi's claim of being good at her job. As much as Hanlon's razor says we should pin it on stupidity, malice has become an increasingly reasonable explanation.

There is a third choice. Neither Sandi nor Chris have the intelligence or ability to intentionally raise this kind of cash through skill, insight, and hard work. What we are witnessing in a self-sustaining sperg-fusion reaction, powered by nostalgia and what was once a bankable name in gaming. Both of them are deluded enough to believe that it's all going according to plan, rather than blind luck.

Sandi in particular has to choose between two viewpoints: either she's fleecing the gullible, which would be ethically wrong, or she's a success, which is just plain wrong.

Which do you think she's more likely to choose to believe? Note that I'm not granting her the moral high ground here - if she found out the leather seats in her car were made of orphan skins, she'd certainly keep driving it (especially if it was black leather.) It's simply that she has to choose the viewpoint that already meshes with her own belief, which is that she is awesome at everything she does.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Scruffpuff posted:

There is a third choice. Neither Sandi nor Chris have the intelligence or ability to intentionally raise this kind of cash through skill, insight, and hard work. What we are witnessing in a self-sustaining sperg-fusion reaction, powered by nostalgia and what was once a bankable name in gaming. Both of them are deluded enough to believe that it's all going according to plan, rather than blind luck.

Sandi in particular has to choose between two viewpoints: either she's fleecing the gullible, which would be ethically wrong, or she's a success, which is just plain wrong.

Which do you think she's more likely to choose to believe? Note that I'm not granting her the moral high ground here - if she found out the leather seats in her car were made of orphan skins, she'd certainly keep driving it (especially if it was black leather.) It's simply that she has to choose the viewpoint that already meshes with her own belief, which is that she is awesome at everything she does.

True enough, though I'm quite willing to label that level of self-delusion as a form of tacit or implicit malice as well.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

spacetoaster posted:

Let's put an absent former glory of video game for 10 years to come back, like so many others, to fund a participatory manner following his old hits, a game of its kind to ferry sand.

New stretch goal.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Tippis posted:

True enough, though I'm quite willing to label that level of self-delusion as a form of tacit or implicit malice as well.

:agreed:

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Scruffpuff posted:

New stretch goal.

Well shipping a desert from sand planet alpha to sand planet beta can't be much more tedious than chris's writing

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Scruffpuff posted:

Star Citizen: A self-sustaining sperg-fusion reaction.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

I found a website where a woman named Sandi makes money off of gullible losers for no benefit to themselves. All while deluding herself into believing that she's doing good.

http://www.sandiroberts.com/

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
2.1 trip report.

No problem with patching, all worked fine, CIG do not need to look at the patching process it's perfect.

Launched game, fly to security post in crap ship, coming in to land crap ship stopped responding, crashed to desktop.
Launched game, authentication error.
Launched game, server full.
Launched game, stole a vanguard by entering top turret via use F, tested collision into a 325a just taking off. Worked fine.
Entered a vanguard by top turret, pilot already there, top turret doesn't seem to damage tail, set power to zero in engineering room, clipped out of ship near comm array. Shot Vanguard till he left, ran out of pistol bullets, got wounded by some guy doing the mission, he beat me getting inside his Avenger to the pilot seat. He flew to the security post, I clipped out of ship, ran around a while, no ships, suicide.
Chat full of people complaining about not being able to spawn ships or ships despawning
Can't spawn my ship, says pads full, pads are empty. EVA to next terminal, spawn crappy ship, take to security post, land get gun, ship has despawned before can get back, ALT F4, pc crashes, reboot.

2.1 is a lot better than 2.0.
2.1 is terrible.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Scruffpuff posted:

New stretch goal.
pretty sure all the stretch goals were eaten up by ben's waistband

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Mirificus posted:

I think they're fully aware and are callous enough to not care.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Libluini posted:

Yeah, when trying one of the easier starts I learned fast I don't actually want to mix building space empires and flying around in a ship. But the game isn't bad, just obnoxious in some aspects. That's why I'm still occasionally playing X3, but overall I like Elite more.

If I want to build space empires, I prefer 4x-games like MOIII (don't ask).

Why? There's nothing like pulling into orbit with a fleet of Doom Stars with multiple miniaturized Stellar Converters. Then you frag all the planets just to use the rubble to make new and better ones. Wait... You said 3?

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Tippis posted:

This is very true. They may still choose to believe that they will give their backers the game of the millennium. Even if they do, it wouldn't make them any less culpable since they have no reason to believe they can deliver on their promises.

Of course, that argument would also apply to backers who choose to pawn their farms and whatnot, and should really, really have recognized all the red flags. I guess the future will tell whether they will own up to being stupid and deludahhahahaha no loving way will they blame anyone but the goons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

spacetoaster posted:

I found a website where a woman named Sandi makes money off of gullible losers for no benefit to themselves. All while deluding herself into believing that she's doing good.

http://www.sandiroberts.com/

Sandi Roberts posted:

Energy of Money

Are you having money issues in your personal life or business? What would your life look like if you had no money issues?

Have you read the books on manifesting and tried these techniques and haven't had results?

There could be an inbalance in your energetic field that is keeping you from attaining your monetary goals.

An energy session can focus on the energy of money and help you find what is blocking your intentions from manifesting. When something is not making itself evident in your physical reality after you have set and worked with your intentions, then there is most likely an energetic block. By identifying and clearing this block, what you have envisioned has a much better chance of becoming a reality in your life. Merging your metaphysical reality with your physical reality is the key.

These same techniques can be used to help you manifest other things in your life. It is just a matter of finding out what is blocking you from achieving them. Once these are released using simple energetic techniques, you will find things happening in your life so your dreams can actually become a reality for you.

Change a few words to spaceship and its perfect.

• Locked thread