Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Saint Drogo posted:

I mainlined white dwarfs for my entire childhood and I've literally never heard of this lol

It was pretty boring to play and all the pieces were really expensive so it never really caught on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

A friend tried getting some of us into that when I used to go by GW. It was a really clunky, poorly executed, boring game built around seemingly as an excuse to make cool models that normally wouldn't fit into any other system since it wasn't in space or on the battleground. X-Wing definitely feels like a much better designed version of that game and I could see a GW exec looking at that market and saying why the gently caress not?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I think it tried to do something novel with altitude? Like climbing and diving were quite important, but that just slowed the game down a lot.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

serious gaylord posted:

I think it tried to do something novel with altitude? Like climbing and diving were quite important, but that just slowed the game down a lot.

ISTR that it was based quite heavily on Wings of War but they tried to make it more 'Heroclicky' and less of a card-based system.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
I played a game of AI way back when it was in production and remember thinking it was like a tedious version of Wings of War.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Wings of War is alright but the altitude rules were kind of clunky.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Bistromatic posted:

I played a game of AI way back when it was in production and remember thinking it was like a tedious version of Wings of War.
:agreed: It's clunky. Luckily we have smartphones now and you could make a F2P app that automates all the bullshit. That's what this game coming out is, right? It's gonna be a micro-transaction based F2P on smartphones using GW IP?

I did buy a couple planes though. They looked really nice and they're still in boxes for some sort of vague future event where I have enough time to make them into a proper diorama as RC planes being flown by Orc and Tau children like I said I would.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

serious gaylord posted:

The few times it actually got played ended up with lots of situations where the planes were flying around trying to get a shot (and missing when they did) and it was sooo boring to play let alone watch.

I felt bad since my friend spent some money on these models and clearly wanted the game to be good. It thankfully fizzled out naturally and I didn't have to pretend to enjoy it.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

Chill la Chill posted:

:agreed: It's clunky. Luckily we have smartphones now and you could make a F2P app that automates all the bullshit. That's what this game coming out is, right? It's gonna be a micro-transaction based F2P on smartphones using GW IP?
That game exists (sorta). Sid Meier's Ace Patrol. There's a Pacific Theatre WWII edition as well.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Helen Highwater posted:

That game exists (sorta). Sid Meier's Ace Patrol. There's a Pacific Theatre WWII edition as well.

Wow, thanks! I love games like these. Last time a tactical turn-based strategy game really piqued my interest was valkyria chronicles and I'm sad they never made a sequel or series out of it.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

Chill la Chill posted:

Wow, thanks! I love games like these. Last time a tactical turn-based strategy game really piqued my interest was valkyria chronicles and I'm sad they never made a sequel or series out of it.

They did make a second VC but it was only for the PSP (I liked the first one too despite my usual zero-tolerance stance on animes).

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead

Chill la Chill posted:

I'm not sure if you don't know it had 2 sequels or choosing to ignore them because the one that came out in english was really bad...

Cause what the cool WW2ish game needed was to be set in highschool.

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

my god. all roads really do lead to anime itt :negative:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

When people talk about the other non-original Star Wars trilogy, I get confused since the holiday special has nothing to do with the Ewok movies. :confused:

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

The setup for VC3 is really cool. I don't really like the mechanics of how they got it to fit into the PSP (this sucked in 2 as well) so I haven't finished it yet but the scenario of a suicide penal squad is pretty neat.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jan 15, 2016

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Elukka posted:

No, it's actually very un-anime. It's based on a series of novels and it was made before the incestuous circle of anime being made by weirdo anime fans for weirdo anime fans really took hold.

Legend of Galactic Heroes is very anime. It's 100% anime. It's literally an anime.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I wonder if you can have a well-done series of import like the wire or band of brothers done in the current en vogue anime drawing style and have it be recognized as a great series with merit. Like, I would watch all the seasons of breaking bad with a main character who had gigantic eyes and a silly outfit.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Chill la Chill posted:

I wonder if you can have a well-done series of import like the wire or band of brothers done in the current en vogue anime drawing style and have it be recognized as a great series with merit. Like, I would watch all the seasons of breaking bad with a main character who had gigantic eyes and a silly outfit.

lmfao if you think goons will actually not be xenophobic as hell anyway

If they can get all "ew, anime" about loving VOTOMs, Legend of Galactic Heroes, Iron-Blooded Orphans, or even Skullgirls*, then there literally is no suspension of gooniness possible enough to judge anything on actual narrative merits.

*Which is an American game drawn by American artists in a Tex Avery style

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

krushgroove posted:

I have trouble believing the rumormonger can't remember the name of the supposed game. Also, do GW put posters of upcoming games around the HQ building? I have difficulty believing that too.

Lady Atia confirmed it, and she's basically 100% accurate on this stuff.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

FrostyPox posted:

I really hope it's true. Watching GW completely gently caress up yet another product that should be easy money will never get old.

If I discount time spent modeling and painting, I've probably gotten more hours of entertainment out of the past year or so of fuckups then I ever got from actually playing their games.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Chill la Chill posted:

This is basically what Monster is, FYI.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Chill la Chill posted:

Kaiba, bro.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

El Estrago Bonito posted:

This is basically what Monster is, FYI.

Yeah but monster has a more serious drawing style the way I've seen serious anime styles go. I'm talking big eyes, small mouth kawaii desu style.

E:
Thanks I'll look into it.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

boom boom boom posted:

Legend of Galactic Heroes is very anime. It's 100% anime. It's literally an anime.
Yes but it lacks the aspects that make anime really bad.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Elukka posted:

Yes but it lacks the aspects that make anime really bad.

It's like how Breaking Bad isn't a TV show. I mean, I know it technically is, but it doesn't have a laugh track or a will-they-won't-they romance or cooking competitions, so it's about as not TV show as you can get.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?

Chill la Chill posted:

Yeah but monster has a more serious drawing style the way I've seen serious anime styles go. I'm talking big eyes, small mouth kawaii desu style.

E:

Thanks I'll look into it.

Isn't Akagi super-stylized and widely accepted as being of narrative merit? Maybe it isn't, I don't know. The anime I watch tends to be as un-anime as possible.*

*When other people say "un-anime anime" I don't know what they mean, specifically, so I won't speak for them, but for me, the checklist is mostly about "anime my goony acquaintances talk about, ironically or not" and how little it has in common with that. If it has a little sister who is also a love interest of the main character, ludicrous baps for no discernible reason, features a pre-teen driving a robot, is about ~cute girls~ doing ~daily activities~ or has a lengthy and prominent fighting tournament arc, I'm probably not even going to give it a shot. This instantly excludes like 90% of the anime I've heard of.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Million dollar baby but with a kawaii anime girl.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

boom boom boom posted:

It's like how Breaking Bad isn't a TV show. I mean, I know it technically is, but it doesn't have a laugh track or a will-they-won't-they romance or cooking competitions, so it's about as not TV show as you can get.
If Breaking Bad was atypical compared to other TV dramas yeah you could say that. One could for example say a Hollywood movie was very un-Hollywood because it doesn't share a bunch of characteristics common to Hollywood movies despite, literally, being a movie and being made in Hollywood.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Is JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Not Anime or Peak Anime? I'm not even sure if i care, Battle Tendency is the best poo poo

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

guts and bolts posted:

Is JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Not Anime or Peak Anime? I'm not even sure if i care, Battle Tendency is the best poo poo

It has a body pillow you can buy so..... :3:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Why does anime ruin everything on these forums?

Sir Teabag
Oct 26, 2007
We lasted like 5 posts talking about a new AI game before crash landing in Anime Land.

Well done thread. :unsmith:

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Iron Crowned posted:

Why does anime ruin everything on these forums?

It's a thread about GW. Anime is a step up, especially if it's LoGH we're discussing.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Sir Teabag posted:

We lasted like 5 posts talking about a new AI game before crash landing in Anime Land.

Well done thread. :unsmith:

Is there any information about new Aeronautica Imperialis beyond, "they're making one"?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

boom boom boom posted:

But breaking bad does have a cooking competition :v:

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Chill la Chill posted:

It has a body pillow you can buy so..... :3:

So does Poe Dameron

And now it's anime + Star Wars, two great tastes that ruin the GW death thread

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Getting somewhat closer to the topic of Games Workshop, i am excited for the new Mantic Walking Dead game. It sounds fun.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

guts and bolts posted:

So does Poe Dameron

And now it's anime + Star Wars, two great tastes that ruin the GW death thread

I like both of those and posted the body pillow Poe everywhere. :3: Shame it's so expensive though.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Chill la Chill posted:

I like both of those and posted the body pillow Poe everywhere. :3: Shame it's so expensive though.

That's nothing. The Miia from Monster Musume bodypillow was 800 bucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

boom boom boom posted:

That's nothing. The Miia from Monster Musume bodypillow was 800 bucks

Oh, so this is Peak Anime

• Locked thread