Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Harime Nui posted:

well thanks for talking to my face

You are currently taking me too seriously

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

rear end Catchcum posted:

Disney was founded by a known anti-Semite. Why did you support them previously?

Why do you support antisemites, dude?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Jango's job was to lead the Jedi to Kamino and get Padme off Coruscant, he accomplished both. He wasn't an assassin and killing Padme wasn't the job.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Whatever the correct terminology, the bottom line is those movies ask me to look past too much stupid, illogical things coupled with lovely lines (or lovely delivery, take your pedantic choice) for me to enjoy.

The correct term is "I didn't like this but I can't just say that because it makes me look stupid".

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Totbot posted:

No one immediately jumped down his throat. People ignored his original Tarantino post until he posted and quoted his own post:

He clearly had an ax to grind and wanted to post about it. Some people responded seriously and others, like myself, poo poo posted because goons.

This is actually a fair point, I had missed that.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

mr.capps posted:

You are currently taking me too seriously

I know your tricks, Magician!

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

greatn posted:

Jango's job was to lead the Jedi to Kamino and get Padme off Coruscant, he accomplished both. He wasn't an assassin and killing Padme wasn't the job.

I think you could argue either way. The way Palpatine works, he probably wanted Padme dead but if Jango couldn't do that, his orders were to lead the Jedi back to Kamino.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Effectronica posted:

I'm sorry you can't handle a little pungency in conversation. It must be a heavy cross to bear.
Who said anything about carrying crosses? I'd just prefer to see discussion in a discussion forum, as opposed to personal attacks and constant outrage. Respectful disagreement is interesting. The past few pages are not.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
That's why I've played this so conservative

e: sonofa

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Whatever the correct terminology, the bottom line is those movies ask me to look past too much stupid, illogical things coupled with lovely lines (or lovely delivery, take your pedantic choice) for me to enjoy.

Star Wars has always worked on Flash Gordon serial logic. There's no difference there. Zam uses the worms because it's silent and cool-lookin' and because using poisonous animals to do your dirty work is something movie villains do (c.f. Dr. No). Obi-Wan leaps out the window because that leads us into a chase through the skies of Coruscant and that is more fun than doing some kind of logical strategic sweep of the city (which covers the entire planet so I'm not sure how he should handle that.)

And Jango subcontracts out to Zam so he can lead the Jedi out to Kamino and let them find the clone army.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Star Wars threads are always the best threads

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

computer parts posted:

I think you could argue either way. The way Palpatine works, he probably wanted Padme dead but if Jango couldn't do that, his orders were to lead the Jedi back to Kamino.

If Padme died she would be a martyr though.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Ersatz posted:

Who said anything about carrying crosses? I'd just prefer to see discussion in a discussion forum, as opposed to personal attacks and constant outrage. Respectful disagreement is interesting. The past few pages are not.

"Rethpectful dithagreement" is based on the sort of emotional alienation most people on this forum think constitutes maturity. I have no desire to play that sort of passive-aggressive game.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Effectronica posted:

"Rethpectful dithagreement" is based on the sort of emotional alienation most people on this forum think constitutes maturity. I have no desire to play that sort of passive-aggressive game.
I'm confronting you in a direct and courteous way about your rude behavior, because it's drowning out actual conversation. This is the opposite of passive-aggressive.

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

How did you feel about the deal involving Qui-Gon and Watoo with regard to the podrace in TPM?

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

We need more prequel chat and less Effectronica

How important to Palpatines plan was Anakin? He doesn't seem too concerned with his well being as Grievous (his lackey) was trying to kill him on The Invisible Hand.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Ersatz posted:

I'm confronting you in a direct and courteous way about your rude behavior, because it's drowning out actual conversation. This is the opposite of passive-aggressive.

If someone can't look past getting called dumb, they have nothing worth reading to write, in 99% of cases. You disagree, because you fetishize this notion of people speaking in a dead monotone about nothing in particular, it seems. Well, you are free to do that.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

greatn posted:

If Padme died she would be a martyr though.

If she died it'd be a symbol of how dangerous and horrible the Separatists are so let's raise that army right quick please, whereas alive she was actually in favor of peace and diplomacy.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Y Kant Ozma Diet posted:

Haha how do you dipshits not realize that all the really aggressive stuff I say is just taking sentiments like this and throwing them back in your faces? Are you seriously so free of self-awareness?

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?
Where the hell is Lando? Did they try to get Billy Dee Williams involved? Nien Nunb is part of the Resistance, and Lando was part of the Rebellion at the end of ROTJ. Does the Lando comic flesh this out at all?

Where the hell is Lando? It would be great if they brought him back in the next film.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Effectronica posted:

Haha how do you dipshits not realize that all the really aggressive stuff I say is just taking sentiments like this and throwing them back in your faces? Are you seriously so free of self-awareness?

yea

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
[quote="Harime Nui" post="455016550"]
That's why I've played this so conservative

e: sonofa
[/do

[quote="Harime Nui" post="455016550"]

Why do you keep dodging my question?

Totbot
Oct 4, 2013

Y Kant Ozma Diet posted:

How important to Palpatines plan was Anakin? He doesn't seem too concerned with his well being as Grievous (his lackey) was trying to kill him on The Invisible Hand.

Palpatine's plan seemed to be mostly just playing both sides knowing he'd win either way. In the Clone Wars cartoon Palpatine constantly feeds info to the Separatists that put Anakin in direct danger, so he didn't really seem to be banking too much on Anakin either way until the end. Even with Anakin, the Clone troppers did most of the Jedi killing. Anakin just killed some kids and then got his butt handed to him by Obi Wan.

Anakin was probably just a happy bonus prize to him.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Effectronica posted:

You keep getting your feelings hurt and lashing out. You said some dumb things and got called out on it. Learn from this and move on with your life :)

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Chill Penguin posted:

Where the hell is Lando? Did they try to get Billy Dee Williams involved? Nien Nunb is part of the Resistance, and Lando was part of the Rebellion at the end of ROTJ. Does the Lando comic flesh this out at all?

Where the hell is Lando? It would be great if they brought him back in the next film.

Probably shortest answer is, he went to do his own thing like basically everyone else and never really took part in the core Resistance. If they do bring him back he can just be someone influential who assists them when/where he can, like letting them hide out on Cloud City 2 or whatever. I really do hope they bring him back, I like the way he says Chewbacca.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Y Kant Ozma Diet posted:

You keep getting your feelings hurt and lashing out. You said some dumb things and got called out on it. Learn from this and move on with your life :)

I normally think you and Eff are both v. witty and sharp posters

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008

computer parts posted:

The correct term is "I didn't like this but I can't just say that because it makes me look stupid".

computer parts posted:

Huh. If I, an adult in their late 20's, am too stupid to enjoy the prequels, I wonder how much the intended audience, children, enjoyed them.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008

Harime Nui posted:

I normally think you and Eff are both v. witty and sharp posters

Why do you keep dodging my question?

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Chill Penguin posted:

They don't appear to have approached BDW, but he's in pretty bad health, apparently, and regardless is pushing 80.

Y Kant Ozma Diet posted:

I'm the psychic here, buddy, and I won't even bother revealing what I've learned about you and your disgusting personal habits.

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

Y Kant Ozma Diet posted:

Well, Palpatine was grooming him to be his apprentice, and he is shown to favor him. Ultimately, Anakin is another piece on the chessboard, and if he dies then Palpatine has other agents he can promote, essentially. You also need to remember that a huge part of the dark side ethos is that the strongest survive, so in all likelihood Palpatine has faith in Anakin's strength. If Anakin was killed in the Clone Wars, then it would reveal him to not actually be the chosen one that Palpatine is seeking.

OK, now I know why people type "Sheev"

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Huh. If I, an adult in their late 20's, am too stupid to enjoy the prequels, I wonder how much the intended audience, children, enjoyed them.

http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/Out+of+the+mouths+of+babes

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

Guy A. Person posted:

I really do hope they bring him back, I like the way he says Chewbacca.

:agreed:

JohnnySavs
Dec 28, 2004

I have all the characteristics of a human being.

Maxwell Lord posted:

And Jango subcontracts out to Zam so he can lead the Jedi out to Kamino and let them find the clone army.

computer parts posted:

Er, lead the Jedi to Kamino? The system that's been deleted from the Jedi archives? The system that only is discovered because Obi-Wan happened to know a diner owner that happened to be familiar with Kamino weaponry from his time 'prospecting'?

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Hand waving and coincidence. It's the only way to enjoy these movies. For me they violate an uncanny valley of logic. I can't look past the numerous dumb shits throughout the films.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
The real travesty is that H8 has only one showing tonight at my local theater and 0 showings tomorrow, in order to make room for Ride Along 2 and Norm of the North.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

JohnnySavs posted:

Er, lead the Jedi to Kamino? The system that's been deleted from the Jedi archives? The system that only is discovered because Obi-Wan happened to know a diner owner that happened to be familiar with Kamino weaponry from his time 'prospecting'?

He specifically hired Jango because his connection to Kamino would lead the Jedi there. Which is exactly what happened, the assassin Jango hired used a Kamino dart and Obi-Wan took it from there.

The system had to be hidden, but not so hidden that a little detective work wouldn't uncover it. Palpatine didn't know exactly how the Jedi would find Kamino but he knew enough about their capabilities to assume they would with a nudge in the right direction. Its not like Palpatine knew all about the diner or that Obi Wan would find out that way, he just figures the information would be out there somewhere and the Jedi would find it. If the first plan didn't work he would have tried something else.

Its a mistake to assume they "only" found the system because Obi Wan happened to know the diner owner. It was a lead he followed and if that was a dead end he would have followed another one, and eventually found out about Kamino.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jan 15, 2016

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

JohnnySavs posted:

Kamino is deleted from the archives so the Jedi don't happen on it before the clone army is ready. Kamino is common(ish) knowledge to lower class people. Eventually, someone will discover the discrepancy, and will go there to see what the big secret is about.

Basebf555 posted:

Its not like Palpatine knew all about the diner or that Obi Wan would find out that way, he just figures the information would be out there somewhere and the Jedi would find it. If the first plan didn't work he would have tried something else.

Yeah if anything I would've expected him to have someone spread a rumor that a Bounty Hunter from Kamino tried to kill Padme or w/e if the Jedi couldn't figure it out.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Chill Penguin posted:

Well, Palpatine was grooming him to be his apprentice, and he is shown to favor him. Ultimately, Anakin is another piece on the chessboard, and if he dies then Palpatine has other agents he can promote, essentially. You also need to remember that a huge part of the dark side ethos is that the strongest survive, so in all likelihood Palpatine has faith in Anakin's strength. If Anakin was killed in the Clone Wars, then it would reveal him to not actually be the chosen one that Palpatine is seeking.

OK, now I know why people type "Sheev"

I misinterpreted Palpatines plan. Given the context of the Prophecy I assumed Anakin was vital to him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeez
May 28, 2012

Effectronica posted:

They don't appear to have approached BDW, but he's in pretty bad health, apparently, and regardless is pushing 80.

gently caress that, just put him in a space wheelchair like Cliegg Lars and let him have a cameo at least.

• Locked thread