Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

There actually isn't anything special about TiVo guide data. They just use tribune media services like everyone else (actually, you could argue that the frequency at which it phones home to update it is a liability.)

You have to weigh the cost of home building a 4 tuner setup yourself and maintaining it compared to $149/year (after the first year) as well as the yearly power costs associated with keeping a full pc running.

Relying on Hulu alone requires quite a bit of discipline as most shows only keep 5-6 episodes of the current season. So, if you get too far behind for some reason, you are left with having to buy episodes to catch up.

My opinion is, if you want any sort of DVR setup for OTA, then TiVo is still your only viable choice. The Magnavox DVRs could be tempting, but it will take about two years for ROI and the landscape can change a lot in that timeframe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

bull3964 posted:

Relying on Hulu alone requires quite a bit of discipline as most shows only keep 5-6 episodes of the current season. So, if you get too far behind for some reason, you are left with having to buy episodes to catch up.

For all it's worth, my wife and I watch a lot of shows on Hulu and we rarely if ever run into this. I know some shows are like that because of contractual or licensing reasons but thankfully we don't run into it watching what we do (huge mix of all kinds of old and current shows)

While we're talking setups, our setup is an OTA antenna, Hulu and Netflix via Roku, tons of random free streaming sites on Roku and HTPC, and all kinds of local media via Plex.

What's better than saving all kinds of dough and getting great quality content? Your wife being perfectly able to control it all and loving it just as much as me. I'm super fortunate here and I never take it for granted.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

Tyson Tomko posted:

For all it's worth, my wife and I watch a lot of shows on Hulu and we rarely if ever run into this. I know some shows are like that because of contractual or licensing reasons but thankfully we don't run into it watching what we do (huge mix of all kinds of old and current shows)

While we're talking setups, our setup is an OTA antenna, Hulu and Netflix via Roku, tons of random free streaming sites on Roku and HTPC, and all kinds of local media via Plex.

What's better than saving all kinds of dough and getting great quality content? Your wife being perfectly able to control it all and loving it just as much as me. I'm super fortunate here and I never take it for granted.

The Roku still has one of the plainer interfaces of the bunch and really needs a backend like Plex or Emby to get the most out of local media but there is no denying its straigtforward functionality. I have mine in one of my guestrooms, not because it's the "cheap" device but because it's the easiest for guests staying over to figure out. Even the FireTV with Firestarter isn't as simple to use (and the "regular" FTV interface is poo poo).

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

bull3964 posted:

You have to weigh the cost of home building a 4 tuner setup yourself and maintaining it compared to $149/year (after the first year) as well as the yearly power costs associated with keeping a full pc running.

My opinion is, if you want any sort of DVR setup for OTA, then TiVo is still your only viable choice. The Magnavox DVRs could be tempting, but it will take about two years for ROI and the landscape can change a lot in that timeframe.

This is exactly it. Yes it's expensive, yes you can do a lot of it yourself, yes there are more things to record on cable. It all doesn't matter because it's the best/easiest/most hassle free way to be able to tape TV. I've used some of the Magnavox DVRs, and you can use them, they work, but you definitely get what you pay for software-wise.

It makes a lot more sense then roku and hulu if you watch anything local, or sports. Just yesterday I heard about a car chase at work just down the road, so I popped on my phone and started recording all four networks to watch later. Very cool and impossible on a roku.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

gently caress it all, I'm just getting internet.

Gonna climb up in my attic. There's a huge antenna in there from the 70's. It's been torn down, in pieces. Gonna try to rebuild it and convert it to coax.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

bull3964 posted:

There actually isn't anything special about TiVo guide data. They just use tribune media services like everyone else (actually, you could argue that the frequency at which it phones home to update it is a liability.)

True, but it's highly curated (they are very good about updating show metadata from the "stock" info Tribune provides, for example) and the constant updates (why would that be a liability?) are a real boon when schedules change, such as around baseball season. They aren't the only ones who do this but I think they do it the best.

bull3964 posted:

That is a fair point. I don't mind the hassle but I do realize it is a bit of a hassle.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Ixian posted:

constant updates (why would that be a liability?)

I'm saying it doesn't phone home enough. For example, I've actually seen more instances where TiVo has missed a last minute new episode guide change than, say, FiOS equipment.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

bull3964 posted:

I'm saying it doesn't phone home enough. For example, I've actually seen more instances where TiVo has missed a last minute new episode guide change than, say, FiOS equipment.

Huh, that is something I don't remember happening, but I haven't used Tivo in a few years. Do they let you fiddle with that setting at all?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Ixian posted:

Huh, that is something I don't remember happening, but I haven't used Tivo in a few years. Do they let you fiddle with that setting at all?

Not from what I see.

To be clear, I'm not in love with TiVo. I just think it's the best of other alternatives right now and it's maddening that someone hasn't come in and eaten their lunch.

The UI has the style of a 2003 'Web 2.0' site with all its rounded corners and gradients. Information density on the screen is way too low (we aren't all watching on 40" TVs anymore.) It remains the only interface I've seen where the 'back' button makes less sense and changes context more times than Android's implementation. Most functions require way too many button presses. Finally, the included remote doesn't have a dedicated button to jump straight to your list of recordings (fortunately my Harmony does.)

The biggest fault I have though is the selection of streaming services in it. The search option is fantastic, everything you search includes all of the video providers. Yet they only really have Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, and Vudu. They really need to get HBO Now on there if they want to position this as an all in one cord cutter package.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

usenet + kodi solves most (all?) of the problems talked about on this page while introducing a smaller and less vexing (for technically proficient people) number of problems

just sayin

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Thermopyle posted:

usenet + kodi solves most (all?) of the problems talked about on this page while introducing a smaller and less vexing (for technically proficient people) number of problems

just sayin

Yes, and I'm told there's some kind of box you can buy for $~250 that has all of this preinstalled and configured including some kind of Popcorn Time or equivalent.

But :filez:

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac

Thermopyle posted:

just sayin

Too many of the shows I watch aren't recorded by anyone for me to care (e.g., US Antiques Roadshow).

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

TheScott2K posted:

I can't imagine handing that poo poo to my wife and being like "enjoy television!"
Should be the thread subtitle.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

FogHelmut posted:

With that close of a difference over two years (chosen for bundle contract), who gives a poo poo. Might as well get the cable package for the convenience of watching live/current shows.

At this point I'm back to undecided. It's antenna only or back on the juice.

If you have a spare phone or tablet, look into running Swagbucks' apps. You can get a month of Hulu in about nine days. And I'm pretty sure the codes stack.

Ask your family and friends if they can let you on their Netflix account or cable log in. gently caress Sling unless you absolutely can't live without live channels. Don't buy a preloaded box. Buy your own android box (Fire TV/Shield) and put Kodi on it. It's super simple to set up.

With a little research and hustling, you can save a ton of money (beyond using an OTA antenna)

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jan 15, 2016

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Thermopyle posted:

just sayin

Doesn't work for reliable sports, many women's shows, silly annual shows and so on. I love Kodi + Usenet but we still have to supplement it with stuff occasionally. Thankfully its really easy finding streams you can Chromecast these days.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Also Kodi is basically a bunch of nerds butthurt over Plex actually being used and liked by normal people at this point

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Kodi's for local streaming and illegal add-ons. Plex is for mobile streaming and stupid people who don't know about upnp.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Call Me Charlie posted:

Kodi's for local streaming and illegal add-ons. Plex is for mobile streaming and stupid people who don't know about upnp.

Plex is for people who don't want to reencode every piece of media they own for upnp to work on all their devices

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I have used Kodi and it is a pain in the rear end to sideload and operate on the FireTV. Plex works nicely when it feels like working. However as poor as the interface was, nothing was better than the WDTV. Nothing just worked every time. It couldn't do anything else, but what it did, it did flawlessly.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
I used to be a big Kodi fanboy, but I don't even use it anymore.

I ended up wanting to access the same media on multiple devices, while do-able with Kodi (barely), its a kludge to setup and maintain.

So I have a little Core i3 box sitting in my office that runs nothing but Plex Server and holds all my media. Which in turn is accessed by multiple Roku 3s and a ShieldTV box. Everything just works. No dicking around with UPNP, setting up a SQL database, etc..

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

FogHelmut posted:

I have used Kodi and it is a pain in the rear end to sideload and operate on the FireTV. Plex works nicely when it feels like working. However as poor as the interface was, nothing was better than the WDTV. Nothing just worked every time. It couldn't do anything else, but what it did, it did flawlessly.

I just install Firestarter on FireTV devices and click "Install Kodi" for me. Operating it is as easy as another platform in my experience, I use a Harmony so I had to make a few tweaks but other than that it runs very well.

I never have an issue operating Plex either and haven't really experienced any major issues with the app. Sometimes when the server needs an update/restart it will disconnect, that's about it. I'm transitioning away from Plex to Emby though since it lets me run Kodi (I like the customization and library sorting options more) while still offering a centralized library and transcoding stuff for my GF and her myriad of devices.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

TheScott2K posted:

Plex is for people who don't want to reencode every piece of media they own for upnp to work on all their devices

You shouldn't have to reencode anything. Only issue I know about is on the Roku since they don't have DTS support but even that's fixed by hooking it up to a receiver (or avoiding encodes with DTS audio)

stevewm posted:

I ended up wanting to access the same media on multiple devices, while do-able with Kodi (barely), its a kludge to setup and maintain.

It's like three steps. http://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO:Share_libraries_using_UPnP

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jan 15, 2016

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Call Me Charlie posted:

You shouldn't have to reencode anything.

Must be nice living in the My Devices All Support Every Format utopia. Shame that you're sullying said utopia with trash like Kodi.

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac

TheScott2K posted:

Must be nice living in the My Devices All Support Every Format utopia. Shame that you're sullying said utopia with trash like Kodi.

Did Kodi devs poo poo in your breakfast or something? For those of us who remux our BDs and watch them on TVs... Kodi does exactly what it says it will. It's nowhere near the best live TV interface (probably near the bottom of the barrel for that), but that's what I own a Roamio for.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

TheScott2K posted:

Yeah, it's awesome in Android land :c00lbutt:

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Call Me Charlie posted:

Yeah, it's awesome in Android land :c00lbutt:

They make Plex for Android. You should use it. It's like if Kodi wasn't made for people who wear cargo pants in public. Having its icon on your home screen doesn't legally qualify as an abstinence pledge.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Yeah, that works, but its not complete. You cannot add uPnP sources to the actual library in Kodi, as they would be with a local or SQL setup. You have to go to Video/Files to access it. It also doesn't sync watch status or play position.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

stevewm posted:

Yeah, that works, but its not complete. You cannot add uPnP sources to the actual library in Kodi, as they would be with a local or SQL setup. You have to go to Video/Files to access it. It also doesn't sync watch status or play position.

If you have a skin that allows custom home entries, you can link directly to the upnp source and hide the normal videos tab. It does sync watch status and (admittedly poorly) play position. It doesn't have the advanced playback features like if you scanned it directly into the library but neither does Plex so it's a wash.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
Ah yes... let me download this skin and re-encode some poo poo then i'm gonna advance play this into my dick hole.

Actually just kidding im gonna hit play on plex. WOAH LOOK AT DAT VIDEO PLAY.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Jeez guys, it's just videos.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

withak posted:

Jeez guys, it's just videos.

Reminds me of the old argument "People who use Ubuntu aren't REAL Linux users!"

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
This whole argument is what makes TiVo worth paying for fwiw

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac
Didn't know this much vitriol existed for media software.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Nitr0 posted:

Ah yes... let me download this skin and re-encode some poo poo then i'm gonna advance play this into my dick hole.

Actually just kidding im gonna hit play on plex. WOAH LOOK AT DAT VIDEO PLAY.

It just works*!

*as long as you have a powerful computer driving your power bill up 24/7 as it pointlessly transcodes your media for something less than 30 feet away

:shepface:

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
sorry im not a poor

also https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/200250387-Streaming-Media-Direct-Play-and-Direct-Stream

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Serious question is using stuff like ad free time to watch foreign Netflix :filez: or is it hunky dorey? (To do, not to talk about, I got enough problems is all I'm saying)

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

blugu64 posted:

Serious question is using stuff like ad free time to watch foreign Netflix :filez: or is it hunky dorey? (To do, not to talk about, I got enough problems is all I'm saying)

Netflix just announced that they're gonna crack down on VPN's and stuff like that, so....

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

blugu64 posted:

It's not illegal, if that's what you're worried about. It's against Netflix's TOS, but all they could theoretically do about that is to cancel your sub.

edit: AdFreeTime is also great for getting around blackouts in sports streaming packages, like NHL GCL and for even using the NFL's GamePass in the US. These are also not illegal activities, just against the rules of the leagues, but gently caress them for blacking out games I pay to see.

Luceo fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jan 16, 2016

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

did you miss you're in the 'i'm a dirty poor that can't afford cable anymore :(' thread?

(but for serious, direct play only works well on pc since it has all the codecs. the plex on my fire tv wanted to transcode everything. yet kodi can direct play everything.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac
For what it's worth the MLB has threatened to stop DNS rerouting every year since like ~2012 and has done literally nothing about it. I have a feeling Netflix will come through with it, though. Like the above poster said, worst case, you get a cancelled sub and a threatening e-mail.