Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thunder God Biden
Sep 8, 2004

Israel is not a legitimate entity, and no amount of pressure can force us to recognize its right to exist.

Several months ago went with Beach Cliffs in Louisiana hot sauce. Mostly because they were cheap and readily available. They were tolerable, but consistent 'dining wasn't sustainable.

First can of KO's last night, over triscuits. Shared two with the dog because she just got fixed and looked sad in her dog cone. My eyes are now open. Barely even used the Tabasco.

I've had a child for years, but last night I became a Dad.

We need a :coolfish: snypa imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

d_redguy posted:

Several months ago went with Beach Cliffs in Louisiana hot sauce. Mostly because they were cheap and readily available. They were tolerable, but consistent 'dining wasn't sustainable.

First can of KO's last night, over triscuits. Shared two with the dog because she just got fixed and looked sad in her dog cone. My eyes are now open. Barely even used the Tabasco.

Best thing I've read all morning.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

d_redguy posted:

I just grew more chest hair simply reading this.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I developed a preference for a particular name brand aspirin reading that.

naem
May 29, 2011

Reading that gave me an urge to put together a set of cheap snap together metal shelves in the garage and get all mad and swear under my breath, and then drink out of a garden hose

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Male Tears posted:

Yeah, sorry I was mistaken. My BMR is significantly less so if I ate 600 calorie snacks I'd end up obese and/or reverse the good of any exercise I did. My bad.
It's all good. I race bicycles, not very well, and I'm getting old, 31, so besides just adding volume of exercise which I've done in the past I've decided to start paying more attention to my diet. Plus I'm a bit of a drinker but that's a horse of a different color.

Besides that you should run a budget on your calories in vs out and see where it ends up. You still need to feed yourself at the end of the day but if you can feed yourself calories from good meat (sards, etc) and clean carbs (brown rice) and also veg like broc or sprouts or spinach it becomes a bit of a game. How can you make a cup of brown rice and can of sardines plus some kind of green thing delicious? The possibilities are endless!

My start on calorie counting has made me realize how much I'm working to burn off the beers I've been casually drinking.

numberoneposter fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Jan 15, 2016

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
I'm 8 cans of 'dines (the whole KO spectrum) and a big tin of Herring picked in white wine.

Fuckin' delish.

I also intend to take up woodworking and beer brewing.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
I would just like to say gently caress brown rice. no matter how relatively good it is for you, just gently caress it.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
nah dude brown rice is tasty but hard to cook correctly

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf
Jasmine rice all the way

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

pr0k posted:

nah dude brown rice is tasty but hard to cook correctly

It's this. Also spend a few bucks on it, go to an asian grocery.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

doctorfrog posted:

Ain't no Asian ever eat brown fukken rice

Bananas don't qualify btw

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

doctorfrog posted:

k then brown rice hippy wizards, what's the secret to making it fit for human consumption rather than just mycelial consumption?

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
Cook it in the oven. Also make sure it's fresh. Whole grains have protein and fat in them that can go rancid.

Basic recipe:

Ingredients

1 1/2 cups brown rice
1 teaspoon salt

2 tablespoons butter
3 cups boiling water

Directions

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
Place rice, salt, and butter in a casserole dish that has a cover. Pour boiling water over rice; stir.
Cover and bake in preheated oven until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender, about 1 hour. Remove from oven, fluff with fork, and serve hot.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Sheep-Goats posted:

Ain't no Asian ever eat brown fukken rice

Bananas don't qualify btw

This is true in my experience, but they somehow got the best brown rice in town in Ranch 99.

cram me sideways
Apr 26, 2015
instant brown rice isn't all that bad - i cook it on the reg

cram me sideways
Apr 26, 2015

doctorfrog posted:

This is true in my experience, but they somehow got the best brown rice in town in Ranch 99.

jesus christ i loving LOVE ranch 99 - it's a combination grocery store/house of horrors that never, EVER fails to surprise me

i mean i cook tripe and tongue all the loving time but that is preschool poo poo compared to what you can get at ranch 99

asians are the loving king and queen of weird poo poo to eat

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
Just cook brown rice in a little bit of stock, flavors it nicely.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

pr0k posted:

Cook it in the oven. Also make sure it's fresh. Whole grains have protein and fat in them that can go rancid.

Basic recipe:

Ingredients

1 1/2 cups brown rice
1 teaspoon salt

2 tablespoons butter
3 cups boiling water

Directions

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
Place rice, salt, and butter in a casserole dish that has a cover. Pour boiling water over rice; stir.
Cover and bake in preheated oven until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender, about 1 hour. Remove from oven, fluff with fork, and serve hot.

is there a way to make it that doesn't require exponentially more energy than it contains? seriously, boiling the water and running an oven at 400 for an hour is way more of a carbon foot print than that poo poo can possibly be worth.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

I use a rice cooker and use 1/2 cup more water than it calls for. Also boil with a packet of Bovril. Good ol' beef tea brown rice.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:
Man I saw 15 new posts in this :coolfish: thread and its all bout FUCKIN RICE?!

Nah son, nah.

Just the other day I convinced a friend of mine, who is a dad, how to be a proper father. The secret is in the holy tin of KO 'dines. He was easily converted. All hail King Oscar, savior and creator of dadhood!

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

numberoneposter posted:

I use a rice cooker and use 1/2 cup more water than it calls for. Also boil with a packet of Bovril. Good ol' beef tea brown rice.

Same. Rice cookers are great, you can make all kinds of stuff with 'em. And crappy brown rice is usually because you bought poo poo rice and/or didn't use enough water.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

BaconCopter posted:

Man I saw 15 new posts in this :coolfish: thread and its all bout FUCKIN RICE?!

Nah son, nah.

Just the other day I convinced a friend of mine, who is a dad, how to be a proper father. The secret is in the holy tin of KO 'dines. He was easily converted. All hail King Oscar, savior and creator of dadhood!
gotta get the deeners back on track!

my co-worker said her dad would feed her sardine and peanut butter sandwiches as a kid

i have a new respect for her and her father but im not sure im that brave

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

I cook brown rice in a rice cooker and mix in a can or two of dines every once in a while for lunch and it's p tasty with some sriracha.

That's my rice n dines story thanks for reading.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Anyone have any experience with Pacific Crest dines? The store near my house sells them for something like .50 a can so I'm curious about their quality.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."

Sizone posted:

is there a way to make it that doesn't require exponentially more energy than it contains? seriously, boiling the water and running an oven at 400 for an hour is way more of a carbon foot print than that poo poo can possibly be worth.

I should break your goddamn nose. Carbon foot print indeed.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

pr0k posted:

I should break your goddamn nose. Carbon foot print indeed.

do you fuckers live on mercury or something? getting an oven up to 400, let alone 500 degrees takes -a lot- of loving gas. that's o.k.ish if you're cooking a lot of food, but for a loving pot of rice? a good dine dad leaves an inhabitable world for his dine children and dine grandchildren.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Dont wanna use the gasssss

*cooks twice as long at 375

*has literal woman tits

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.
What kind of bitch doesn't have an electric stove.

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf

Tardcore posted:

What kind of bitch doesn't have an electric stove Blast Furnace.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

"Hi is this Dominos? Can I speak to your manager? No I don't want to order pizza. Can I make a special request? Great. I need to borrow your oven to boil some water to make brown rice and sardines...hello hello are you still there?"

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Just grt a rice cooker eith a brown rice setting

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Why don't you just cook the dine over an open flame like lol what the gently caress is wrong with you? :confused:

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Mange Mite posted:

Just grt a rice cooker eith a brown rice setting

Rice cookers don't have settings.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Thump! posted:

Why don't you just cook the dine over an open flame like lol what the gently caress is wrong with you? :confused:

congrats on not being able to follow all of a half pages worth of posts

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

Thump! posted:

just lol if you dont do this for all your meals

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Tardcore posted:

What kind of bitch doesn't have an electric stove.

yo yo yo my name is mc tardcore
and i cant sautee
cause i got an electric stove
and im gay

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

less about heat sources, more about hot sauces

naem
May 29, 2011

Like sometimes I squirt a little lemon or lime into the can after I open it before eating over the sink that's my recipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

naem posted:

Like sometimes I squirt a little lemon or lime into the can after I open it before eating over the sink that's my recipe

Lil bit of dill is nice, too