Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Unforunately none of those options in the article helped with my problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madkapitolist
Feb 5, 2006
Not sure if this is the right place but I have a very simple modeling request that should only take a minute or two (I think) and I'd be willing to pay $5 via paypal or venmo.

I'd like a model of a "pita pocket" where the opening is 150mm across, and the radius is 75mm across. The pocket opening will be 12.5mm. The thickness of the shell should be 2.5mm. I would like the final file as well.

This is meant to be made out of silicone and should be "reversible" so it looks the same if turned inside out.

Feel free to pm me or post here.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

madkapitolist posted:

Not sure if this is the right place but I have a very simple modeling request that should only take a minute or two (I think) and I'd be willing to pay $5 via paypal or venmo.

I'd like a model of a "pita pocket" where the opening is 150mm across, and the radius is 75mm across. The pocket opening will be 12.5mm. The thickness of the shell should be 2.5mm. I would like the final file as well.

This is meant to be made out of silicone and should be "reversible" so it looks the same if turned inside out.

Feel free to pm me or post here.

$5?

That is incredibly insulting. Especially since you want it to be CAD accurate and want the final file. It sounds like you are making a product of some sort from this file. To pay only $5 is just ridiculous.

madkapitolist
Feb 5, 2006
It wasn't my intention to insult anyone here, I've never requested any type of work like this before. Correct me if I'm wrong ( and it seems like I am) but this appears to be an incredibly simple shape to model and would take very minimal time. If this takes someone 5 minutes, then thats $60/hr?

Anyways feel free to disregard, no disrespect here. I'm just working on an idea and didn't know where to start but it sounds like I will look up a tutorial instead.

Edit: VVV It was an offer for anyone who would want a small/quick atypical job. No need to have your jimmies rustled, different people will consider different pay structures.

madkapitolist fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Dec 29, 2015

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

madkapitolist posted:

It wasn't my intention to insult anyone here, I've never requested any type of work like this before. Correct me if I'm wrong ( and it seems like I am) but this appears to be an incredibly simple shape to model and would take very minimal time. If this takes someone 5 minutes, then thats $60/hr?

Anyways feel free to disregard, no disrespect here. I'm just working on an idea and didn't know where to start but it sounds like I will look up a tutorial instead.

With a job like this you don't subdivide the hour into the exact minutes it took. If you want someones time, even 5 minutes, you're paying for the full hour.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

$60 actually seems like a fair price for a simple model to precise spec with source files. I don't charge anyone per hour for this reason, though, unless they're putting me on retainer. I always charge per project.

It's fine, though. Word to the wise, claiming to be insulted by someone's good faith attempt at propositioning your services is pretty unprofessional and doesn't really help anyone when it comes to engineering a good working transaction. We as artists have a long way to go with helping people understand what our services are truly worth and jumping down people's throats for asking the question is counterproductive.

Edit: vvv Basically that.

mutata fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Dec 29, 2015

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

madkapitolist posted:

Edit: VVV It was an offer for anyone who would want a small/quick atypical job. No need to have your jimmies rustled, different people will consider different pay structures.

You will always (or at least should always) get charged for 1 hour minimum if using an hourly rate. You definitely don't subdivide the hour like ESRAM stated (especially not the first hour). And while it's a simple model, being so precise with the measurements is going to require someone to spend a little more time on it than you would think. I'm not talking hours, but more than taking a sphere, squishing it, cutting it in half and creating a pocket.

I understand you didn't mean to insult anybody, but if it's your first time requesting work like this then it might be a better approach in the future to inquire about inquiring about the work ... and then actually inquiring about the work.

mutata posted:

It's fine, though. Word to the wise, claiming to be insulted by someone's good faith attempt at propositioning your services is pretty unprofessional and doesn't really help anyone when it comes to engineering a good working transaction. We as artists have a long way to go with helping people understand what our services are truly worth and jumping down people's throats for asking the question is counterproductive.

Ha, I actually edited my post a couple of times to not seem so brash. Clearly that didn't work out so well! It doesn't help that I'm in advertising and basically have to build up aggressive defenses against clients constantly trying to gently caress me over at every single turn.

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Dec 29, 2015

SVU Fan
Mar 5, 2008

I'm gay for Christopher Meloni
I wouldn't do a job for $5 even if it took me 10 seconds to complete. Let's say at the absolutely best, measuring specific dimensions and finishing the model takes 5 minutes. Another minute or two to save and export it, another few minutes to upload it to an email and send it off, and all of a sudden you wasted 10-15 minutes of your time for a mediocre cheeseburger.

Lmao that's not even taking into consideration paypal taking a percentage of the payment. That $4.75 project is gonna look reallll nice on my portfolio and resume.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

SVU Fan posted:

I wouldn't do a job for $5 even if it took me 10 seconds to complete. Let's say at the absolutely best, measuring specific dimensions and finishing the model takes 5 minutes. Another minute or two to save and export it, another few minutes to upload it to an email and send it off, and all of a sudden you wasted 10-15 minutes of your time for a mediocre cheeseburger.

Don't forget there's almost no chance that he wouldn't have revision requests after you sent it to him.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

You can take your chances of Fiverrr but I'm not sure you'll be satisfied with the outcome.

Also apparently Maya is now $7000 if you buy it outright instead of getting the subscription? What happened to good old $3500 Maya.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

They want you to pay the monthly. If you're buying outright they assume you're an enterprise customer, I guess.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

BonoMan posted:

Dumb question but what exactly is a level set? It's popped up more and more recently but wasn't part of the nomenclature way back when I learnt me some vfx so I'm not sure what it means. Is it some form of "data as a described volume?"
`

Pretty much, useful for procedural meshing [organic meshing especially with stuff with changing point counts frame to frame], meshing fluid simulations, doing volumetric rendering, etc. Old houdini terminology refers to levelsets, voxels, etc. Every studio sort have had their own version/software/workflow, DD had voxel bitch which was renamed to the more PC Storm I think. We had cloudtank at R+H and Flux at Dreamworks.

When Dreamworks released open VDB with DD it started to standardize workflow between packages

http://blenderdiplom.com/en/interviews/574-interview-ken-museth-on-openvdb.html

Which made things interesting because you could add vdb support to 3rd party and custom software and started doing things like hand off raw volume data directly to lighting instead of lighting in houdini and having to match up with another package in comp, etc.

It's handy for optimizing simulations, so you can convert huge models/environments into volume data for collisions and keep everything as volume data until its time to render.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

madkapitolist posted:

Nothing takes 5 minutes. Booting up the computer and loading up the software may take 5 minutes.

When I bid stuff for VFX film work, the smallest job, gets billed as a 1 man-day minimum to account for issues/changes/crashes/troubleshooting/etc. Big projects get billed out in man weeks and money wise that scales up on the high end. When production starts assigning people to tasks you can be looking at 2500-3000$ per man week per person for various tasks. That doesn't mean the artist makes that rate, a good chunk of it helps with overhead and averages out costs between expensive vs cheaper workers.

Now on CAD, especially if you are going to making something for a mold there are things that are going to ... realistically make it a billiable week job for something simple.

Realistically 3 man days, assuming 3 revisions. But there's more to modelling.

-What injection molding machine are you using? What is the flow and material properties so you can run flow/cooling simulations.
-What tolerances are the CAD file?
-What machine are you using to machine the mold? Out of what material? CNC? What file format?

Revisions are an issue because you can take the model to the mold maker and they'll point out tolerance issues... parts of the mold is too thin, the radius of certain edges is too small/fine for their tooling, etc. So expect a bit of back and forth until you get things right. That's where the extra time comes into play.

Making a reversible mold is another thing, there will be injection flash and sprues left over depending on how it is modelled, which is usually placed on the non cosmetic side of the model.

I mention this because I had to CAD design a cupholder made out of silicone recently for a 4x4 ATV. It's an insert held in place by a rectangular aluminum bracket. Problem is just modelling the shape resulted in a really flimsy cup holder that would work ok with an empty cup but was useless for coffee cups/filled sodas. So there was many revisions with different thicknesses of the main material, along with reinforcement rings and reinforcement cross sections on the non cosmetic side. We did a 3d print and did a home/garage cast silicon prototype and it held up well without tearing. But that was a structural requirement, in your case your model may not need that.

The client backed out because he only need a small quantity of units [20-30] and the tooling cost was about $5000 to start production, so what we wound up doing for his budget was ordering generic cupholder parts from a RV store, and making a flat plate adapter out of aluminum sheet cut via waterjet so it would fit his product.

It's not just people time, there's also software license cost and machine time on top of that. [I have a few friends in injection molding, milling/CNC who don't touch jobs under a certain dollar value because they have a $80,000 vertical mill to pay off], likewise is the case of art students with huge student loan debts to pay off. :)

Now if you are planning to go with a non-commercial, one off type deal where you are going to 3d print the mold model, and do a few home brew casts, that's another thing, but I'd budget a few hundred dollars to get someone to assist you with it, or pick up an evaluation version of something like autocad/inventor or solid works and check out some tutorials and knock out something yourself.

Sorry for the :words: but in a nutshell that's why $5 doesn't buy you much.

[We get the "it's easy" and "it shouldn't take too long" stuff all the time, btw] :)

Big K of Justice fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Dec 31, 2015

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
$5000 to start production on injection molding? drat, that's pretty cheap. I've read it's around the $100,000 mark for stuff like toys/statues.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

ceebee posted:

$5000 to start production on injection molding? drat, that's pretty cheap. I've read it's around the $100,000 mark for stuff like toys/statues.

There's a lot of competition. And it's dependent on the size/complexity of the part. There's a few places like proto labs that specialize in smaller production runs for parts which lower tooling costs significantly but the costs can be in all the extras/revisions to get the parts to work.

SVU Fan
Mar 5, 2008

I'm gay for Christopher Meloni
Have you guys ever sold a piece of work to a company/individual/artist for reproduction on merch/shirts/posters etc?

I was approached by a big artist's management about an image they really liked and want to put on merch.

I've been working in CG for so long that I always know my proper rate for companies when they hire me, but I've never "sold an artwork" before. Anybody have a clue on where to even begin coming up with a selling price for something like that?

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

This might be helpful: http://mariabrophy.com/art-licensing/what-to-charge-for-art-licensing-royalties-advances-and-flat-fees.html

forelle
Oct 9, 2004

Two fine trout
Nap Ghost
http://www.oscars.org/news/11-scientific-and-technical-achievements-be-honored-academy-awardsr

My team and I Just won an Oscar. Which is nice.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Hell yeah it is. Congrats!

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

Well now I've corresponded with a Nobel winner and an Oscar winner. Awesome work, congratulations. It must be really rewarding to see something you worked hard on make a substantial difference in a field, and super rewarding to actually get the kudos for it.

I just read your interview in 3D Artist, it was interesting to read the timeline on the development.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Congratulations, much deserved. You've done great things with Mari, it completely rules.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Congrats!

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

You rule, your team rules, and Mari rules. Congratulations, well deserved!

forelle
Oct 9, 2004

Two fine trout
Nap Ghost
Thanks everyone!

It is nearly 10 years to the day that I wrote the first line of code on Mari, which according to git is

#include <QString>

Add on 1.5M more lines of code and boom!

:) Really stoked for everyone involved. Although 4 of us got the Nomination, there are over 40 people on the credits, so there's a lot of champagne to buy.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

forelle posted:

Thanks everyone!

It is nearly 10 years to the day that I wrote the first line of code on Mari, which according to git is

#include <QString>

Add on 1.5M more lines of code and boom!

:) Really stoked for everyone involved. Although 4 of us got the Nomination, there are over 40 people on the credits, so there's a lot of champagne to buy.

I can't even begin to understand how you wrap your head around creating a program like that. Insanity.

On a different note, why can you get access to an updated nightly build site for Phoenix FD but to get VRay nightlies you have to request one from support every time? Gah!

particle9
Nov 14, 2004
In the guide to getting dumped, this guy helped me realize that with time it does get better. And yeah, he did get his custom title.
Congratulations!

Vilgefartz
Apr 29, 2013

Good ideas 4 free
Fun Shoe

Made a little robot character in the last few days, something to animate.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
Edit: shared too soon

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jan 13, 2016

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

drat, those are gorgeous. What did you use for your softer objects, like the pillows and blankets? Marvelous Designer? Cloth sim? Looks great either way, nice work.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
Thank you :)
It's a mix - some blankets are marvelous ones we made ages ago, some pillows are poly modeled with max displace modifiers and wrinkle maps, some of both might be from evermotion/model+model files. i honestly couldn't tell you which is which off the top of my head.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Totally fine, they all looked great regardless.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
Repost it whenever you can, I like seeing the renders you make.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Really diggin' Marvelous Designer. This is a few hours' worth of work to get this pattern laid out and fit well enough. Gotta author the fold patterns and such next.

https://instagram.com/mutatedjellyfish/
https://www.artstation.com/mutatedjellyfish

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

Odddzy posted:

Repost it whenever you can, I like seeing the renders you make.

Will do - it was put on their Facebook so i thought it was cool but apparently they want to announce it more formally and ended up taking it down. Be up very soon.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

cubicle gangster posted:

Will do - it was put on their Facebook so i thought it was cool but apparently they want to announce it more formally and ended up taking it down. Be up very soon.

Actually don't because your work makes me jealous

kthx!

Vilgefartz
Apr 29, 2013

Good ideas 4 free
Fun Shoe
Hey guys, i'm having a weird problem with maya's A.R.T.

I'm trying to rig a character, but i can mirror skin weights from one piece of geometry to another, say r_arm to l_arm, but i can mirror weights across a single piece of geometry, like the chest, no problem.

Every joint seems to be in the right position, and i tested mirror weight on a shoulder pad on the right hand side of the model, and the weight ended up moving to the opposite sides collarbone.

Has anyone experienced this problem before?

International Log
Apr 3, 2007

Fluent in five foreign tongues!
Grimey Drawer
picked my lil' huge project again:

The leaves thingy in the center i'm still working on, but the reference is crap so it's taking a while to understand the details.

Vilgefartz
Apr 29, 2013

Good ideas 4 free
Fun Shoe

Did a study in zbrush, about 30 minutes.

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.
Been pretty busy at the new job, but I had some time this weekend to fool around with some personal stuff

also, here's some bar entourage I did a few weeks ago for our asset library. some of the models are by a coworker, but all the bottles and condensation & whisky shaders are mine

Handiklap fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Jan 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

That hallway is nice! Nice and warm.

So I'm flipping through the Ikea catalog and it occurs to me that someone once told me that most of the images in there are straight CG, I wonder if that's true.

Edit: http://www.cgsociety.org/index.php/CGSFeatures/CGSFeatureSpecial/building_3d_with_ikea 75% of them. Just like car commercials now, I guess.

Edit: 75% of the individual product images, 35% of all marketing scenes.

mutata fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Jan 19, 2016