Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
special sentient samwhich

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

special sentient samwhich

Yeah, that was... disturbing in its own way.

The Blank Eyed Girl ep was super creepy. It didn't play out the way it seemed like it was going to, and the ending was like something out of Miyazaki.

Chocolate Teapot
May 8, 2009
This week's episodes have been great so far, they haven't got the stink of OTT sadness that ruined everything.

Maelstache
Feb 25, 2013

gOTTA gO fAST
There does seem to be a conscious effort to roll back the Moynsification of the last couple of seasons. The current run of episodes has felt much more straightforward and less introspection-heavy. Not sure how I feel about that - one thing I've always liked about this show is how it escaped it's own format and always seemed to be pushing in new weird directions, but now it feels more like they're falling back on a tried and tested formula. But then, the quality of episodes is still really high, so I guess that's what matters.

sockpuppetclock
Sep 12, 2010
Thursday's episode was great :3: This week has been so great

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

I don't know why all the blank-eyed girls coming out of the woodwork was so funny, but god drat I could not stop laughing.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

umalt posted:

I'm surprised that nobody's talking about President Porpoise is Missing. It had a strange flow, it almost feels like a season 1-2 episode.

I liked it just for that reason. It was the first time in quite a while that the show has had that early AT spark of raw creativity.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

King's Ransom was really good. Very similar to the show's strongest eps. Lots of jokes and moved plot along. S+ Jake shapes.

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
So are we moving towards an IceKing/Magic Betty plot this season? I'd quite like that to be sorted out.

Oh and the Blank Eyed Girls episode creeped me out a fair bit.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

I like Magic Ma'am for a name personally

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
The blank eyed girl episode was amazing.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Funniest scene this week: Jake summoning extra black-eyed girls with his clarinet.

Creepiest scene this week: BMO making a sandwich.

It was a good Adventure Time Week, even without Princess Bubblegum.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
a whole week of episodes and we got like a page and a half of new posts, I think adventure time is maybe not doing okay anymore? The episodes all seemed fine but the whole internet just did a collective "meh" over them.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
It didn't help that the forums were constantly making GBS threads themselves during that time. They were mostly decent episodes. I liked them well enough.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I liked this bomb, but I don't think there is much to discuss, really. All episodes were pretty straightforward.

Flobbster
Feb 17, 2005

"Cadet Kirk, after the way you cheated on the Kobayashi Maru test I oughta punch you in tha face!"
Five episodes that didn't involve a ton of lore (except for the last one, kind of) and weren't more-artsy-than-fartsy, aired rapidly in bomb format, didn't give the internet any time to whip their dicks out and wax pretentious about them. Sounds like a great week of episodes to me.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

a whole week of episodes and we got like a page and a half of new posts, I think adventure time is maybe not doing okay anymore? The episodes all seemed fine but the whole internet just did a collective "meh" over them.

just because the insane weirdos moved to SU doesn't mean children don't still watch this show a lot.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Flobbster posted:

Five episodes that didn't involve a ton of lore (except for the last one, kind of) and weren't more-artsy-than-fartsy, aired rapidly in bomb format, didn't give the internet any time to whip their dicks out and wax pretentious about them. Sounds like a great week of episodes to me.

I'm catching up with the recent episodes and agreeing with this, mostly.

I didn't like season 1 but this post season five stuff is like it but done right for me.

I especially liked how Blank Eyed Girls was both mocking and loving towards the online horror community. It's probably my favorite episode so far, and one I'd love to show to others.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Rexides posted:

It was a good Adventure Time Week, even without Princess Bubblegum.

She was there the whole time, hiding behind the bookcase.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I'm not heavily invested in the overarching plot and the overall quality of Adventure Time, so take my word with a grain of salt, but I think that this was a good episode bomb. I like the episodes where it's just a kids' show and nothing related to the story happens, and the one plot-related episode already has me asking plenty of questions about what will happen next.

Also, I had no idea that Lena Dunham previously voiced Betty until I read a comment thread on a different site. Apparently, she didn't return for this one. Seeing as Girls is ending in two seasons (thank God, no more of that self-obsessed vanity project), she might have more time to voice when her character inevitably returns.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I have my suspicions about that.

I'm a little bothered that Betty and Gunter worked together for this thing they were doing, since Gunter being Orglaborg was the worst subplot of last season (possibly the worst of at altogether)

However, I kind of think what they're doing is attempting to redeem ice king. B MO got his mind off babes and helped him tap into his still strong imagination, Gunter and B Mo both show he's capable of caring about others, and they didn't have as many jokes about him being gross and pathetic. They might be making the endgame of choosing between simon and ice king more difficult.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
I figure it was also a little callback to this:

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Acne Rain posted:

I'm a little bothered that Betty and Gunter worked together for this thing they were doing
Either that, or Betty hasn't gone completely insane from taking Magic Man's powers and still feels like she can reclaim Simon from the crown's effects. In that case, it's not so much "Betty and Gunther/Orgalorg are working together" and more "Gunther/Orgalorg is tricking Betty and has something even more sinister planned in the long run." My money's on the latter but we'll see for sure at some point.

I don't feel that "Gunther is really some kind of cosmic evil" was the worst thing to happen to this show (after all, Marceline's dad did hint at Gunther not being what he seems a while ago), but they really should have given his true form a much better name. Orgalorg sounds like a name a five-year-old would come up with.

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Jan 17, 2016

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

By Chuck Tingle.

Flobbster
Feb 17, 2005

"Cadet Kirk, after the way you cheated on the Kobayashi Maru test I oughta punch you in tha face!"

The best part of this was that it wasn't even a background gag they slipped in. He said it aloud as he read all the titles on the shelf.

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.

Flobbster posted:

The best part of this was that it wasn't even a background gag they slipped in. He said it aloud as he read all the titles on the shelf.

Also the words BMO used to get on Jake. "Shh Girl, I'm going to mount you" were pretty amazing

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Stakes killed my enjoyment in this show, for a while at least. The ending, though sweet, just put all the various different toys back in the box and shut the lid on them, and now the show's just sort of back to dicking around again. Which, yeah, cool, particularly all the BMO stuff, but that was never the version of the show I liked the most.

Shame, because I actually really liked Stakes, even though it ironically removed much of the stake I had in the show itself.

(Also, is LSP better now? Last time we saw her she was homeless and hearing voices, but now she's putting on big theatrical productions. Whaa?)

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Man, King's Ransom especially is a great episode. Funny as heck while also setting up some interesting biz. Definitely appreciated Bad Jubies a lot too

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
If you cannot like stakes for being a fun adventure because it doesn't do some major plot thing, I recommend you read the entirety of homestuck.

Believe me at first it will seem like all the adventure, heavy plot elements, etc, one could ever want from a story about charming teenage characters and exactly the kind of thing one who watches adventure time and wishes the plot changed things more could want, but then you will eventually have too much of that ice cream.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
The voice of the fox is always done in this weird stilted cadence and I love it for some reason. It almost sounds like the actor is mailing in the performance, but deliberately.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
I like fox but at this point at has too many lonely or depressed characters between fox, banana man, ice king, neptr, lsp when she actually examines her life like in the babysitting episode, probably others.

Flobbster
Feb 17, 2005

sticklefifer posted:

The voice of the fox is always done in this weird stilted cadence and I love it for some reason. It almost sounds like the actor is mailing in the performance, but deliberately.

His delivery of "Look, fellas, there's never going to be a perfect baby. Times like this you just gotta dive right in" is one of my favorite lines in the entire show.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax

sticklefifer posted:

I've always thought that he was doing a partial Christopher Walken impersonation.

Chibs
Jun 28, 2004

bring it back :guillotine:

Acne Rain posted:

I like fox but at this point at has too many lonely or depressed characters between fox, banana man, ice king, neptr, lsp when she actually examines her life like in the babysitting episode, probably others.

that's life bub.

Depression, anxiety, isolation, mental illness, and all that poo poo exists but I sure doubt you see a lot of kid's media go into that, because our society stigmatizes those people and animation typically likes to deal with idealized depictions. So, if a monotone fox can deal with eating subpar babies and the demented ice mage can be friends with a robot, then maybe a kid can make it through poverty and not off themselves from loneliness. Maybe not, but it's something. I don't feel like it's "too many."

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Man, what is up with this show. It got too depressing/didactic in season 6, but now the show has overcompensated too far in the other direction and it feels bland, safe and uninspired. Even the best joke so far this season is just a retelling of a joke from season 3.

Oh well, we'll always have seasons 3-5 (seasons 1-2 were pretty good too).

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jan 20, 2016

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Steve Yun posted:

Man, what is up with this show. It got too depressing/didactic in season 6, but now the show has overcompensated too far in the other direction and it feels bland, safe and uninspired. Even the best joke so far this season is just a retelling of a joke from season 3.

Yeah this season has been mostly really tepid so far

sockpuppetclock
Sep 12, 2010

Steve Yun posted:

I disagree!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Toss me some of those sweet boobies gary

• Locked thread