Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Zeroisanumber posted:

A middle-class black family doesn't have the Sixth loving Fleet to call on for back-up.

It does in Obama's America :911:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Selachian posted:

Telnaes elephant.

Why is the elephant pouring all that hair into a cup :confused:

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Zanzibar Ham posted:

It does in Obama's America :911:

After 2017, Obama was translated to Earth-414B by the Multidimensional Witness Protection Program.

He now lives in a middle class area, and tell everyone that he was president of the united states before. Theres even a sitcon about it in Earth-414C.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

alnilam posted:

Why is the elephant pouring all that hair into a cup :confused:

Hair of the dog. :haw:

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

How in the world can a syndication or opinion page editors look at this and not think this is INCREDIBLY racist? What value does this POS bring to anything? Bok's point (no one cared about the SOTU) isn't right, the metaphor (it's cribbed off of a pic of Babe Ruth's retirement) is strange and non-seasonal/-topical, it's ugly, it's racist, it's pointless.

D.N. Nation fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Jan 15, 2016

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Trogdos! posted:

Speak of the devil...

Lol I thought he was going to say something super racist at first

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

D.N. Nation posted:

it's ugly, it's racist, it's pointless.

New thread title

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

D.N. Nation posted:

How in the world can a syndication or opinion page editors look at this and not think this is INCREDIBLY racist? What value does this POS bring to anything? Bok's point (no one cared about the SOTU) isn't right, the metaphor (it's cribbed off of a pic of Babe Ruth's retirement) is strange and non-seasonal/-topical, it's ugly, it's racist, it's pointless.

You forgot to note that Bok's reading of the SOTU was so far removed from its actual text as to be nonsensical

but yeah the raw awfulness of the caricature is the real star of the show here

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
This latest Bagely is great

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

Well well well ! Looks like it's time for some

I've had computer troubles in December, and was therefore unable to post cartoons from issues 1222-1224. I don't really want to bore y'all with a wall of indecipherable French cartoons so I'll be focusing on the latest issue, 1225 (with a couple more cartoons from 1224). But at least, you'll get the covers.

Issue 1222 - "Christmas Magic"
In France, Yule Logs are often decorated with tiny plastic lumberjacks.

Issue 1223 - "Fellow Frenchwomen, Frenchmen, Binationals..."
"Françaises, Français" is the traditional hook into a speech by the President. Since a recent constitutional amendment proposal supported by Hollande would enshrine in the Constitution the ability to revoke the citizenship of terrorists for binational citizens, there has been an outrcry from the left wing. Concerns about equality of treatment, that sort of thing.

Anniversary issue 1224 - "One year later, the murderer is still at large"

Issue 1225 - "The inventor of licorice wheels has departed"
Heh.
Charlie Hebdo loves morbid humor. In my opinion, it's at least more interesting than bland obit cartoons.

Which brings us to the cartoon that had everyone in a tizzy this week.

"What would little Aylan have become if he had grown up?" "An rear end-grabber in Germany"
This cartoon made me laugh, but it is a bad cartoon IMO.
In the purest Charlie Hebdo tradition, it is an outré, an explicitely absurd cartoon. It makes fun of tragedy - not in a jeering way, but in a "let's laugh at this" way. Examples of this sort of cartoons are plenty, and I'll post a few below. Anyway, as I understand it, the message is not "it's funny because it's true" here, it's absurd humor, or maybe it could be a "this is what They think" cartoon.
The problem with Riss is that there is a lot of subtext in his cartoons, a lot of things that you're supposed to know (about him, and about CH) in order to get his point. Kind of like Kelly. But the cartoon fails here, according to me, because it's extremely easy to take at face value. And it could very well be used unironically by fascists. So that's why I dislike it: I don't want to be laughing at it along with fascists.

Consider this one, also by Riss, in the previous issue:

"Miracle in Lourdes" "Charlie Hebdo walks again, on its own!"
In French catholic lore, Lourdes is a town where miracles occur, and where sick people go to heal miraculously. Five million people visit it each year.
Death is a joke. Atheist magazine Charlie Hebdo got shot up last year, a visit to Lourdes made it all better.

This one was back in 2014 and is an especially egregious example of this absurdist style:

"Boko Haram sex slaves are angry" "Hands off our welfare!"
Back in 2014, there was a debate to make people who earned a lot of money uneligible for the family allowance.
Of course the cartoon is absurd: why the hell would destitute Nigerian kidnapped women care about a policy that would only have an impact over high-revenue families in France? Because right-wingers in France like to paint black immigrants as coming to France for the benefits. This one was utterly hilarious and one of the few times where I legit laughed out loud for a long time at a Charlie Hebdo cartoon.

So all in all my verdict is that it's a funny but bad cartoon.

Let's continue with this week's issue.

"Koln: 1st International rear end-Grabbing Festival" "A kolossal success" "Not one moment of boredom"
Rough chuckles. A joke about sexual assault and rape? Yes, in the same style as the previous one. And yet the absurdity is more obvious.

"Famine in Syria" "Unbearable images"
Death and suffering are a joke. They're eating their "Je suis Charlie" signs.

"At last, a humane Dakar Rally" "Do we leave you anywhere?"
The Dakar Rally is a rally around South America (used to be Africa) that often claims lives among the spectators or the indigenous population.

"Ever since the Charlie Hebdo attacks, we don't draw the same stuff" "We're into self-portraits now"

"In case of a terrorist attack, break the glass"

Last week's cover was about how God was a murderer, and obviously they caught some flak for it. So they doubled down, these are second-page cartoons

Thumbed for size
"What if God didn't ex..." "Shut the gently caress up"

"Mine's the biggest one"
Dick joke

(From last week:)

"Charlie Hebdo assfucks every religion!" "Rather dead than a human being!"

They also republished a couple covers from back in the day - 1995 and 2002

"God is a crazed far-right mass murderer - and one-eyed!" "God: Nobel War Prize"

Celeb deaths

"One commemoration too many"

"Never again"
A Holocaust joke? Oh my.

"Showbiz: who will be next?"
A bunch of famous people died lately, not only David Bowie, David Margulies and Lemmy, but also French actor Michel Galabru and singer/songwriter Michel Delpech.

Death is a joke.

Flowers For Algeria fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jan 15, 2016

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
Matt Bors did a cartoon on David Bowie (or rather, people's reactions to his death)

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Kurtofan posted:

Lol I thought he was going to say something super racist at first

Me too. For example:

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Ague Proof posted:

Me too. For example:

Someone send this to Kirschen with a "good comic!" line. I'm curious to see if he notices the edit.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Flowers For Algeria posted:

"One commemoration too many"
Wrong picture.

"Showbiz: who will be next?"
A bunch of famous people died lately, not only David Bowie, David Margulies and Lemmy, but also French actor Michel Galabru and singer/songwriter Michel Delpech.

Also composer and conductor Pierre Boulez.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Mister Beeg posted:

Matt Bors did a cartoon on David Bowie (or rather, people's reactions to his death)

I'm pretty sure this very thread went through these exact phases.

Please let the side shave die out this year.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

Cat Mattress posted:

Wrong picture.
Oh yeah, thanks.

Cat Mattress posted:

Also composer and conductor Pierre Boulez.
At this point I've stopped counting.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

"Charlie Hebdo assfucks every religion!" "Rather dead than a human being!"

"Never again"
A Holocaust joke? Oh my.

loving hell these are brutal, but I laughed at that Bowie one even as I felt bad about laughing.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

Which brings us to the cartoon that had everyone in a tizzy this week.

"What would little Aylan have become if he had grown up?" "An rear end-grabber in Germany"
This cartoon made me laugh, but it is a bad cartoon IMO.
In the purest Charlie Hebdo tradition, it is an outré, an explicitely absurd cartoon. It makes fun of tragedy - not in a jeering way, but in a "let's laugh at this" way. Examples of this sort of cartoons are plenty, and I'll post a few below. Anyway, as I understand it, the message is not "it's funny because it's true" here, it's absurd humor, or maybe it could be a "this is what They think" cartoon.
The problem with Riss is that there is a lot of subtext in his cartoons, a lot of things that you're supposed to know (about him, and about CH) in order to get his point. Kind of like Kelly. But the cartoon fails here, according to me, because it's extremely easy to take at face value. And it could very well be used unironically by fascists. So that's why I dislike it: I don't want to be laughing at it along with fascists.

Well thanks, Flowers! That explains a whole bunch. I still dislike Charlie Hebdo, but now I dislike them with context. All in all, a positive event.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Anniversary issue 1224 - "One year later, the murderer is still at large"

Probably a stupid question, but is it common to use the eye of providence to indicate God? I know it's literally a symbol of God/the Trinity, but I've never seen it really used that way in modern iconography.

Sandpuppy
Jun 16, 2012

Social Abscess
of the
Universe

Mister Beeg posted:

This latest Bagely is great

Mad Bern will soon escape the 99% Boys and team up with Hillarosa to bring them down.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Sandpuppy posted:

Mad Bern will soon escape the 99% Boys and team up with Hillarosa to bring them down.

:stwoon:

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Immortan Trump has a certain ring to it.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

OAquinas posted:

It does, doesn't it?

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

OAquinas posted:

"My friends, do not allow yourself to become dependent on immigrants! They will take hold of you, and you will resent their absence!"

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Mister Beeg posted:

I feel like Bors doesn't actually like political cartooning. But even when he makes his generic "I can't be bothered to care anymore" cartoons, he still does the work and makes them funny.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Mister Beeg posted:

I'm a little confused by her reaction in panel 5

"Aw man, someone is attacking me, that's bad :ohdear:"
"Oh no now someone is defending me, that's even worse :(:(:("

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

loquacius posted:

I'm a little confused by her reaction in panel 5

"Aw man, someone is attacking me, that's bad :ohdear:"
"Oh no now someone is defending me, that's even worse :(:(:("

The idea is that it's devolved from simple sharing of grief into a huge argument.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Haha speaking of Kevin O'Leary

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Ruben Bolling presents: comics that are vaguely political but still better than 99% of the poo poo that ends up in this thread.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

"Imagine if <person I dislike> said <stupid thing>! Man, that would be crazy!"

gonna requote this post every time it's relevant again

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
In the Patreon post for that Bors, he linked to this strip on Boomer rock stars that he had done for The Nib a few years ago. Pretty good. Fair warning, it's McCullogh, though, so.

vyelkin posted:

Ruben Bolling presents: comics that are vaguely political but still better than 99% of the poo poo that ends up in this thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ht-ZyJOV2k

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Percival Dunwoody is my favorite comic ever.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Garfield hates Mondays. Marmaduke is large. Planned Parenthood is murdering babies and harvesting their organs. Cathy likes chocolate.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

The Librarians did this exact joke only in reverse, with the reveal that we used to be dinosaur people until someone tried to kill dinosaur hitler :v:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Selachian posted:

"My friends, do not allow yourself to become dependent on immigrants! They will take hold of you, and you will resent their absence!"

A positive spin you have there on recent events in Koln.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Takoluka posted:

It's an old joke, but mildly annoyed Hitler makes it work.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

:lol:

Takoluka posted:

:agreed:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk

D.N. Nation posted:

Garfield hates Mondays. Marmaduke is large. Planned Parenthood is murdering babies and harvesting their organs. Cathy likes chocolate.

What newspaper is still running "Cathy"? The strip ended back in 2010.

(I know, I know, it's a joke, but still...)

• Locked thread