Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
I think he meant live TV specifically, which is still something available through some cable providers' apps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

hcreight posted:

So have you ever wondered to yourself, "What would it be like if Heroes did a rehash episode of Company Man, but this time there's a rape baby involved?"

Well wonder no longer.
I thought it was just the title they were trying to be cloying about but hahahaha holy loving poo poo? Can't wait to see this disaster.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

GreenNight posted:

I got bummed when Holloway's last show was canceled so I'm hesitant to start watching Colony.
Intelligence was a bad show.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Ravane posted:

What happened to watching TV on your phone. I remember Sprint used to have that option. Why are old people unwilling to let the tv go. Nobody wants to watch tv on that.

I had this weird thing on my phone about ten years ago where I could pull out a little antenna and pick up streaming TV being broadcast directly from the cell towers without using internet bandwidth. I think it was a T-Mobile thing, or maybe Verizon? It was pretty neat, I could watch unlimited Star Trek on demand like a right proper nerd.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I saw TV on my Game Gear once. It was lovely.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Remember when the GBA had cartridges that let you watch one or two heavily compressed episodes of dubbed shounen?

e: there were regular cartoons too apparently

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Here's what Tim Goodman, my favorite TV critic, has to say about the new X-Files

The Hollywood Reporter posted:

What we’re left with is a very underwhelming hour that will force even diehard fans (and yes, I was one of them) to consider whether pushing onward is really worth the time. Ah, time. Maybe it’s dulled the memory a bit, but was Duchovny, famously laconic anyway, always this sedated? Anderson seems equally placid and unhurried on her part, which makes the whole affair seem (as it did when a sneak preview was shown to critics in the summer) slightly off. Out of context in the summer, the clip seemed like a spoof. A large portion of the room was laughing because we thought that’s what it was. Turns out, no, but at least in context there’s less wince-inducing hilarity to the first episode. And yet, nearly every scene seems stunted and out of any kind of dramatic rhythm.

Fox only sent out the first episode to critics. I think the placid/sedated acting on the two leads is pretty standard in the old show.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Ravane posted:

What happened to watching TV on your phone. I remember Sprint used to have that option. Why are old people unwilling to let the tv go. Nobody wants to watch tv on that.

I mostly watch TV on my laptop and my tablet personally.

I have an actual TV. It's p dusty.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Lady Naga posted:

Remember when the GBA had cartridges that let you watch one or two heavily compressed episodes of dubbed shounen?

e: there were regular cartoons too apparently

Still more practical than Sony trying to make UMD discs into an actual media format.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Is Colony more Mr. Robot-USA or more Royal Pains-USA?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It wasn't as strong of a first episode as Mr. Robot (then what is?) but I thought it was pretty solid. Although there was a weird thing going on with USA's web promotion where they're doing some website where you can play games/whatnot and they ask you to join either the Resistance or the Collaborators and the whole thing feels kind of like whoever was behind it didn't watch the show. Because the show paints the Collaborator/Alien side as unequivocal bad guys.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I'm watching Battlestar Galactica again and I just realized that the only person who believes in President Rosalind's visions is the Magical Negro.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Sleeveless posted:

Netflix still got your subscription money and the content you watched still got the viewership credit, that's like the opposite of piracy.

They're mad because if you watch US Netflix from Canada, it's like NBC or CBS got paid for the Big Bang Theory episodes you watched instead of CTV even though it doesn't work that way at all.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Going after geododgers will just increase actual piracy. There's no way for them to get the same variety of content across all regions, so the best thing is just to take people's money and look the other way like they've been doing. Guess some partner must have complained about it finally.

Really sucks, I'm definitely gonna cancel, my country's selection is absolutely pitiful.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Vanderdeath posted:

Man, this sucks. :( I had a VPN almost specifically for this reason, too.

Meh, they say things like this a couple of times a year and make some half-hearted change that's circumvented the next day. I suspect it's just to placate the distributors. Netflix knows they'd lose customers if you could only watch shows from your own country. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if announcements like this are stealth advertising the fact that it's possible.

Junkenstein fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Jan 15, 2016

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Junkenstein posted:

Meh, they say things like this a couple of times a year and make some half-hearted change that's circumvented the next day. I suspect it's just to placate the distributors. Netflix knows they'd lose customers if you could only watch shows from your own country. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if announcements like this are stealth advertising the fact that it's possible.

That's because all they've been doing until now is blocking known exit points for proxies, VPNs etc.

They have always had the option to lock you to content from your billing address, they just haven't. If they go that route that's it, you're done.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

That's because all they've been doing until now is blocking known exit points for proxies, VPNs etc.

They have always had the option to lock you to content from your billing address, they just haven't. If they go that route that's it, you're done.

On Amazon/PSN you can circumvent this by using a fake US address, they would have to go after proxies

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Hakkesshu posted:

On Amazon/PSN you can circumvent this by using a fake US address, they would have to go after proxies

If your credit card security sucks, which luckily for many people it does, that can work.

For most you need a valid US payment method.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Is there a legal/decently priced way to watch Battlestar Galactica? All I can see is buying it on Amazon or iTunes but its massively overpriced for what I can imagine paying in this day and age of Netflix/Amazon Prime/Hulu. I'm not spending $100 for the Blue Ray and streaming it seems like it would cost twice that.

Is this just gonna be a thing where since its so popular with nerds they charge an arm and a leg?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

STAC Goat posted:

Is there a legal/decently priced way to watch Battlestar Galactica? All I can see is buying it on Amazon or iTunes but its massively overpriced for what I can imagine paying in this day and age of Netflix/Amazon Prime/Hulu. I'm not spending $100 for the Blue Ray and streaming it seems like it would cost twice that.

Is this just gonna be a thing where since its so popular with nerds they charge an arm and a leg?

Buy the physical set, I guess? It's only $50 on Amazon

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's on UK Netflix, i just changed my region to watch Cloverfield it's there fo sure, Blood & Chrome is too.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Aphrodite posted:

If your credit card security sucks, which luckily for many people it does, that can work.

For most you need a valid US payment method.

Yeah I have a bunch of things that rely on a US address, where I provide one that I'm allowed to but doesn't have any association to my card. Even Adobe doesn't check this. It's pretty great for getting US pricing on things.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Aphrodite posted:

Sure. What I'm saying is they probably won't do that because they know it's against their best interests. It's a balancing game for them between making it seem like they're doing enough to crack down on geododging and, well, not actually cracking down on geododging.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

EL BROMANCE posted:

Yeah I have a bunch of things that rely on a US address, where I provide one that I'm allowed to but doesn't have any association to my card. Even Adobe doesn't check this. It's pretty great for getting US pricing on things.

Lots of places don't care because they're the vendor in either case. Bestbuy even straight up has a page telling you what fake billing address to use if you want to buy on .com with a card from outside the US.

Anything dealing with licensing though usually has to at a bare minimum require you to have a valid payment method for that country. Even if it's just a gift card.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_73TwW0jvU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Fox orders new 24 pilot with none of the original cast

Hahaha, gently caress no I'm not watching that.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Hahaha, gently caress no I'm not watching that.

Weird reason not to watch something, given how many great reboots there have been over the years with a fresh cast.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

less laughter posted:

Weird reason not to watch something, given how many great reboots there have been over the years with a fresh cast.
Ehh, the longtime cast members were what kept me watching that series until the end. The plots were recycled and some of the new cast members were either bad or just forgettable, but the returning cast members were so incredible that they elevated the whole thing and kept it from getting totally stale.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

"Sutherland has recently been cast in a new ABC thriller called Designated Survivor, where he’ll play a man suddenly handed the presidency after a catastrophic attack during the State of the Union address."

Watching the gently caress out of that. Bauer in office.

That's straight out of a Tom Clancy novel.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Mu Zeta posted:

"Sutherland has recently been cast in a new ABC thriller called Designated Survivor, where he’ll play a man suddenly handed the presidency after a catastrophic attack during the State of the Union address."

:stare: Oh hell yeah, I'm so down for that.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
I thought you meant Donald instead of Kiefer

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Give me the launch codes!!!

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Baronash posted:

I think he meant live TV specifically, which is still something available through some cable providers' apps.

If you have an HDHomerun you can watch TV on your phone if you're on the same lan. I'm pretty sure there's a thing like that for Slingboxes too.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

Give me the launch codes!!!

Well of course Mr President, here you are.

Actually back in the day when we employed ethicsists and the like to think about nuclear doctrine, one the ideas floated was to surgically place the codes inside a living Presidential aide so that the President would be forced to kill a man to initiate a launch. That would be great for President Bauer.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

raditts posted:

If you have an HDHomerun you can watch TV on your phone if you're on the same lan. I'm pretty sure there's a thing like that for Slingboxes too.
I watched like half an hour of the GOP debate from the bathroom last night because of this :haw:

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Mu Zeta posted:

In case anyone thinks you're kidding, that is literally the plot of Debt of Honor/Executive Orders.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Sleeveless posted:

Still more practical than Sony trying to make UMD discs into an actual media format.

I seriously completely forgot about this because like a couple months after the PSP came out people figured out how to encode movies and put them on memory sticks.

PS gently caress memory sticks.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

IRQ posted:

In case anyone thinks you're kidding, that is literally the plot of Debt of Honor/Executive Orders.

The only good one is King Ralph.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

IRQ posted:

I wonder if this one will last long enough for a Supreme Court justice to cite it as justification for something terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

raditts posted:

I wonder if this one will last long enough for a Supreme Court justice to cite it as justification for something terrible.

I'm still waiting for Scalia to cite something out of a Call of Duty game.

• Locked thread