Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?

Scruffpuff posted:

My understanding is that heat has to travel via one of three methods: conduction, convection, and radiation. In a vacuum, the first two are right out - that leaves radiation, which is a slow process. Ostensibly you could toss a hot cup of coffee out the airlock, tractor it back in after an hour, and it's largely the same temperature as when you put it out there.

Lots of movies show stuff freeze when exposed to a vacuum. Although there are biological reasons why a sudden fluid expanse from low pressure can result in lowered temperatures, I don't think that applies to inorganic matter, like a spaceship's thrusters. That heat has to go somewhere.

This brings up a really good point of why EVA spacesuits are white. Radiating excess heat is difficult in a vaccuum, so it's nessecary to reflect as much of it as possible. And more practically, it makes the wearer more visible against the black backdrop of space. FIDELITY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Sillybones posted:

"Using chaos theory equations of possible changes in a ship's behavior before the next time slice, fractally extrude out a set of event cylinders (with hemispherical caps) of the ship's possible influence before the next frame, within the 3D space." lol

Let's just say that when the guy who did the maths for the sim left, it took them 5 years to find another guy to make any sense of it and start upgrading the sim for the new requirements that had shown up.

I also love the “(with hemispherical caps)” level of nerdery going into not just the design, but the openness of the development team. :D

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Berious posted:

:hifive:

:hifive:

Im a CITIZEN NOW :D!

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Chalks posted:

A million players and only 100 stars. I don't think exploration is ever going to be a thing in SC even if everything goes according to plan.

There is a million reasons why Star Citizen will fail but this isn't one of them

Our current solar system has 8 planets, a few dozen dwarf planets, over 100 moons, 250,000 asteroids over 100 meters in the belt and estimates for the total number of comets range from a few billion to a trillion.

Their exploration system sounded like it would be like Eves system. The game spawns random encounters you scan down and get money or loot for competing. Except Eve's system is function and exists and whatnot.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
so John-Rhys Davis texted Sandi with 45 minutes left in the live-stream, so she had Jared arrange the skype stream at the last minute.

"that's the reason the livestream went off the rails towards the end there"

lmao Sandi is responsible for Chris playing Alpha for 20 minutes.

sanctimoniousqfd
Dec 16, 2015

Nomenclature posted:

Regardless of how much heat is being dissipated, having more barrels means that for a given number of shots fired, each barrel of a multi-barreled gun will accumulate less heat than a single barrel firing the same number of shots, so having a multi-barreled space gun might be useful.

Still just brings with it other problems; mechanical lifetime is also a pretty major problem in space, due to things like cooling of lubricant, pumping of lubricant, evaporation of lubricant (liquids boiling off so fast is more a function of the surface exposed to vacuum than the relative temperature of the liquid to space).

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread

G0RF posted:

Will asks the VR question!

And Ben says progress is "Not good."

This marks the first time an uncomfortable question got through their filters and actually got an honest answer... Although Ben then said it was because the Oculus Rift technical standards were constantly changing-- which is a copout. So never mind.

But that should be meaningless in theBDSSE. I mean ED and Valkyrie figured it out right? They must mean the the current SC build is too high fidelity to work on the already obsolete rift. They are building for the 3rd gen VR devices out in 2024

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien
LMAOOO, Star Shitizen eSports? Out of what, best glitches competitions?

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Ravane posted:

LMAOOO, Star Shitizen eSports? Out of what, best glitches competitions?

The question mentioned sataball too. I was thinking it might be another goon question

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

A Neurotic Jew posted:

so John-Rhys Davis texted Sandi with 45 minutes left in the live-stream, so she had Jared arrange the skype stream at the last minute.

"that's the reason the livestream went off the rails towards the end there"

lmao Sandi is responsible for Chris playing Alpha for 20 minutes.

I see they shoehorned a reference to Sandi talking to a big name actor there, so we can all hear just how legit she is.

Atheist Sunglasses
Jul 26, 2003

All the candy you want. Crotton crandy, crandy apple. I like to go on the best ride first. Name of roller croaster.

Why is that black guy in this stream?

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien
Lando: We're on the community team, please don't ask any design questions:
Fat Lady: You could make up some stuff...

As if they weren't doing that the entire time...

mrking
May 27, 2006

There's No Limit To What We Can't Accomplish

"Don't ask us questions about game design we work on the community"

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Bootcha posted:

Is that Will Lewis?

Yes.

Atheist Sunglasses
Jul 26, 2003

All the candy you want. Crotton crandy, crandy apple. I like to go on the best ride first. Name of roller croaster.

Or Ben's wife?

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Semphis_rythorn posted:

[QUESTION] This is about the Vanguard, are you guys paying attention to our feed back on the Ship fourms we are very passionate about this ship and we don't want this ship to go to waste, also PLEASE tell me that the vanguard is not done with it's modeling because at the moment it is very underwhelming compared to the concept art.

KOBKED posted:

{QUESTION} Any News on the Carracks Development ?? Please? this topic has been avoided for a while now...

ikerbals posted:

[Question] Will we be able to unmelt amd omegas?

also
- Since we're members of the community team asking us design questions might not be the best idea
- We could make up answers though
*chuckles*

Tijuana Bibliophile fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jan 15, 2016

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Atheist Sunglasses posted:

He's been there constantly since D_Smart suggested Sandi was a racist piece of trash.

He's basically the token black guy, to show how un-racist they are.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

To prove Derek The Escapist SA all the meanies in the world wrong. Still.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien
jfc, that's money's voice? He's more effeminate than me and I'm gay!

Atheist Sunglasses
Jul 26, 2003

why does the black guy sound like a lesbian with a lisp

edit: that's very un-black so his presence is this stream is null

iron buns
Jan 12, 2016

Truga posted:

Tracking "space" isn't a thing. Space doesn't do anything. It's just there. It doesn't interact with anything. And even if there's a thing like say, a space rock, that does, that's just 1 extra entity.

On the other hand, tracking entities is an exponential workload. You need to calculate the interaction between every single thing. With 16 players that's 120 operations to check if any of them are close to each other (i.e. inside interaction range, so you start actually doing things like checking if they crashed, etc), times 10 instances is 1200 operations.

With 160 players in a single instance, that number is 12720.

(Q=n(n-1)/2)

That's only if you're doing a brute force check. Physics engines solve this by doing the detection in two phases where the first one divides the space into "islands" of nearby objects. The second phase then checks the interactions within these smaller sets. Of course this isn't going to help if all players are trapped inside the same elevator.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

The black hole nonsense bothers me a lot more than the SpaceDozer. He can choose whatever stupid plot devices he wants for his stupid movie, but when he has the opportunity to build a galaxy? "Nah space is boring, here have some stupid fake crap." Black holes are awesome and trying to shoehorn them into vacuum cleaners is just disrespectful.

I'M NOT OVERREACTING drat YOU. drat YUO ALL TO HELL

We should start some kind of thing protesting the lovely quality of both their black holes and fish.

People Actually As Angry As Alligators About Ridiculous Particulars

e: :gary:

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Tippis posted:

Yeah. Deus Ex was just the one that immediately sprung to mind (and in my defence, it was a bit more precise than Trespasser). :haw:

No worries- Deus Ex is a much better/more memorable game than Trespasser. Trespasser just did some extremely cutting edge stuff for its time so its a good reference point for certain kinds of video gaming trivia. I also think the comparison is more apt in this case because despite all of its neat technical gimmicks Trespasser was notoriously bad as an actual game. That way we avoid subtly implying that these features that have been reasonably common for ~18 years are in any way connected to quality gameplay. :)

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

He magically appeared the same week that Sandi was accused by ex employees as being racist. His name is Justin, and he's a video editor.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Star Citizen: Being Derek Smart

Please someone far more skilled with Photoshop than I replace John Malkovich's face with Derek Smart's in the one scene where everybody is John Malkovich.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Tippis posted:

:goonsay: As an old-time sim nerd, my immediate reaction is to question how on earth you'd launch an F-16 off a carrier deck.
Anything can be launched off a deck if you attach enough boosters. It's receiving poo poo where the problems start.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

fuctifino posted:

He magically appeared the same week that Sandi was accused by ex employees as being racist. His name is Justin, and he's a video editor.

Wait, that's Money's real name? :drat: I like Money better.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Scruffpuff posted:

I see they shoehorned a reference to Sandi talking to a big name actor there, so we can all hear just how legit she is.

I'm the unanswered texts Sandi has sent Gillian Anderson.

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.

MeLKoR posted:

Might as well embrace Chaos and to hell with everything.

That's how badass it is you're already roleplaying without even knowing it. Star Citizen is pretty much choose your own nonadventure.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

SelenicMartian posted:

Anything can be launched off a deck if you attach enough boosters. It's receiving poo poo where the problems start.

Goes along with the saying that "Everythgin can be air dropped at least once".

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I was banned for posting this comment

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

fuctifino posted:

:laffo:

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

LGD posted:

No worries- Deus Ex is a much better/more memorable game than Trespasser. Trespasser just did some extremely cutting edge stuff for its time so its a good reference point for certain kinds of video gaming trivia. I also think the comparison is more apt in this case because despite all of its neat technical gimmicks Trespasser was notoriously bad as an actual game. That way we avoid subtly implying that these features that have been reasonably common for ~18 years are in any way connected to quality gameplay. :)

That's a very good point. I'm itching to say that that's the very reason why CRobber wanted to use the same idea — as if his quality compass had a needle that always pointed south — but I'll stick with the “hasn't played a game since the '80s and has no idea what works” explanation instead.

SelenicMartian posted:

Launched without the wheels shearing off from the impulse would be preferable, but sure. :D

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

"We are notoriously frugal with our money..." - Lando.

(He says this as 11 people stand around gabbing about nothing for an hour. Only one of them is no longer being paid by CIG.)

G0RF fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jul 12, 2016

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread

fuctifino posted:

:pgabz:

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.

Scruffpuff posted:

Ostensibly you could toss a hot cup of coffee out the airlock, tractor it back in after an hour, and it's largely the same temperature as when you put it out there.

Only if you're using a genuine Robert's Space Industries StarThermos™:

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
[ Question ] What is Patrick Conley's position at CIG?

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Tippis posted:

Launched without the wheels shearing off from the impulse would be preferable, but sure. :D

Eh, if it was a ski-jump carrier it would probably work fine.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien
Lol, at Lando's Dad's lovely loving Cutlass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

Tippis posted:

Pff. That's faked. I know this because the consonant combination kgfg does not appear in any dialect of French.

how many languages have YOU created? :smug:

• Locked thread