Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Darth Walrus posted:

Really? You seen what these fuckers are like to each other, right?

I don't remotely believe that liberals and reactionaries are two sides of the same coin, but that's an amusingly bad argument.

you need more communist train spotting, comrade. Also, the kulaks totes deserved it.[citation needed]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chocolate Teapot
May 8, 2009

Morkies posted:

you guys are overemphasizing the nerd angle, it has very little to do with new/alt right politics

From the PYF thread:

Dean of Swing posted:

Who is Mencius Moldbug?
This guy

Among other things, Dark Enlightement Thinkers enjoy making magic cards flaunting their lovely purple prose political treatises.

Besides making magic cards of themselves, they love making lovely graphs and figures full of big words.

drat thats a lot of fancy mumbo-jumbo, does it make any sense? Not really. A lack of self awareness is a vital requirement to joining the Dark Enlightenment. For all their fetishization of science they have no loving clue of how it actually works.

The "nerd angle" is almost everything in all this poo poo.

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
"Machiavellian analyses of liberal democracy"

The gently caress is this?

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

Basically the idea that no one is actually a liberal, there are only white people who are too afraid of being called "racist" to stand up and people of color who are secretly plotting white genocide.

If this sounds more like ordinary Freep silent majority bullshit than anything from someone born after 1980, you are correct and it makes NRx's attempts to distance themselves from garden-variety conservatism all the more precious :allears:

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

Best guess? Machiavelli was clever and amoral (in the public consciousness), therefore if their critique is clever and amoral, they're being Machiavellian. How actual writings don't really factor into it.

Morkies
Apr 19, 2015

by zen death robot

Chocolate Teapot posted:

From the PYF thread:

The "nerd angle" is almost everything in all this poo poo.

yeah, i misspoke, i meant to say youre overemphasizing the gamergate/nerd identity connection but could be wrong

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean I think Machiavelli actually wrote a literal Machiavellian analysis of democracy when he wrote Discourses on Livy so I dunno if anyone else can claim to have done a more Machiavellian one.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
You're asking too much of them to actually read the people they're claiming to emulate.

Machiavelli, at his heart, was a pragmatist. A pragmatist of his time, which is vastly different from a pragmatist of today, even if the general goals are the same.

He wasn't really a cartoonish villain who would twiddle his pencil thin moustache and rub his hands together cackling which I'm guessing is what the DE see in him.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I dunno I mean, the prince is genuinely a fun book to read, and it does read astonishingly frankly. And you can certainly take it as a defence of tyranny if you want to.

Though I would tend to read it as more of a "tyranny for dummies" where all the advice is "don't gently caress over the country or its people, or you're poo poo and you'll get lynched" which, taken in the context of being a present to a new dictator, is kind of clever.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
The Prince also has a historical context about when it was written (Machiavelli was trying to get in good with the Medici) and is pretty different in tone to his other works.

I guess if you only read The Prince and don't understand why it was written you too can become a petty tyrant, but that's not really what Machiavelli was about, in the wider context of his oeuvre.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

My favorite part of this is the "femininity" section being unconnected to anything else.

BaurusJA
Nov 13, 2015

It's cruel...it's playful... I like it

The Vosgian Beast posted:

My favorite part of this is the "femininity" section being unconnected to anything else.

Me man! Me roar with Strong-TheReligoMacha km c I djcid I DC j v udicididicj x u ie uh euvir :barf:

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Thinking Housewife isn't connected Femininity because...

Hawaiians have a different kind of masculine libertarianism than the mainland, I guess.

Some of these names too! Half Sigma (aka Lion). Freedom 25 (Frost).

Polybius91
Jun 4, 2012

Cobrastan is not a real country.
I'm more amused by LessWrong's presence on there.

Eliezer Yudkowsky: Not neoreactionary, but #1 with neoreactionaries.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Thinking Housewife isn't connected Femininity because...

Hawaiians have a different kind of masculine libertarianism than the mainland, I guess.

Some of these names too! Half Sigma (aka Lion). Freedom 25 (Frost).

Some of them have changed pseudonyms.

In Mala Fide was Human Twitter Egg Matt Forney's old blog when he was blogging as Ferdinand Bardamu in order to hide his identity and give rave reviews to his own books

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

Machievelli's writing functions a bit like Mein Kampf, where it simultaneously contains 'good advice' with regards to politics, and works as a scathing indictment about what that means of our political systems.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Ddraig posted:

The Prince also has a historical context about when it was written (Machiavelli was trying to get in good with the Medici) and is pretty different in tone to his other works.

I guess if you only read The Prince and don't understand why it was written you too can become a petty tyrant, but that's not really what Machiavelli was about, in the wider context of his oeuvre.

Yeah it's important to remember that The Prince was written as a manual on being a benevolent dictator, with emphasis on benevolent. Because that's what the Medicis paid* Machiavelli to write. Every other political work he published was about how Democracy is awesome and we need more countries with democracy

*While he was in their custody. I feel like that's an important detail people forget sometimes

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

DarklyDreaming posted:

Yeah it's important to remember that The Prince was written as a manual on being a benevolent dictator, with emphasis on benevolent. Because that's what the Medicis paid* Machiavelli to write. Every other political work he published was about how Democracy is awesome and we need more countries with democracy

*While he was in their custody. I feel like that's an important detail people forget sometimes

Only partially true. The book was dedicated to one of the Medicis in hopes of getting a job, but it wasn't commisioned. Now the Florentine Histories WERE commissioned by the Medicis, but people don't care about that.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
New from our esteemed colleague HBomberGuy: the alt-right, the little white cuck ball and you! "I would call it the Dark Side, but they're all white."

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I love the weird west country guy. I just can't take anything he says seriously.

He sounds like a farmer complaining about them therr cultchral marxists ayy get orrf my larnd yoo ruddy caaamunists.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jan 27, 2016

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

i thought her review was kinda of ehh. mostly because she was annoyed at action scifi violence in star wars film.(its loving star wars, not a politically deep film piece) I do agree with her problems with with the films pacing. but yeah dumb poo poo racial realists didnt like it because they are dumb bigots. dudes video was funny.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jan 28, 2016

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Is there a word filter for that word now? That's awesome.

Morkies
Apr 19, 2015

by zen death robot
cuck

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

OwlFancier posted:

I love the weird west country guy. I just can't take anything he says seriously.

He sounds like a farmer complaining about them therr cultchral marxists ayy get orrf my larnd yoo ruddy caaamunists.

most of them either sound like southern wannabe gentlemen or smug british dudes.

BaurusJA
Nov 13, 2015

It's cruel...it's playful... I like it
I am so happy that word got changed

Morkies
Apr 19, 2015

by zen death robot
im gay cuck hosed up if true same

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Cuckoo Clock.

E: aww

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

BaurusJA posted:

I am so happy that word got changed
Deadmau5 has gone too far this time.

hawaiian_robot
Dec 5, 2006

And I'm happy just to sit here,
At a table with old friends.
And see which one of us can tell the biggest lies

OwlFancier posted:

is that the Rocking MrE guy? The last Hbomb video gave me an introduction to him and The Golden One, which are just beautiful and special humans in precisely different ways, it's incredible.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Woolie Wool posted:

Is there a word filter for that word now? That's awesome.

Filter for what word?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Race Realists posted:

Filter for what word?

"Ím gây" and "cück". Without the accents.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Who What Now posted:

Cück sounds like a very specific kind of ergonomic ikea chair.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Who What Now posted:

Please don't steal the names of my metal bands.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

OwlFancier posted:

Cück sounds like a very specific kind of ergonomic ikea chair.

Yeah, the kind you watch someone else sit in.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I was thinking one with strategically placed protrusions.

Flutch
Jun 26, 2008

+1 to that FAT STACK of Zizek-related books on HBomber's desk. Zizek stack as the new Aurini skull??

http://www.infinitelooper.com/?v=Z9voDV_ZsB8&p=n#/5007;5013

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Flutch posted:

+1 to that FAT STACK of Zizek-related books on HBomber's desk. Zizek stack as the new Aurini skull??

http://www.infinitelooper.com/?v=Z9voDV_ZsB8&p=n#/5007;5013

Those are Mark Hamill books for the Star Wars theme.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
“Now I know what you all want, you want me to cut to a shot of Davis Aurini saying something stupid …” HBomberGuy's part two is up now

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Who the gently caress just puts on a loving suit, complete with tie clip, and sits with their feet on their desk kissing their whiskey glass and waving an unlit cigarette around?

Like, in their house.

For fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

OwlFancier posted:

Who the gently caress just puts on a loving suit, complete with tie clip, and sits with their feet on their desk kissing their whiskey glass and waving an unlit cigarette around?

Like, in their house.

For fun.

Men who tie their masculinity (which they learned from Fantasy Role Playing games where certain races come with certain bonuses) to their self-worth. This often leads to being an awful person.

• Locked thread