Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Literally The Worst posted:

Randall Munroe should be purged just not for any of those reasons. He just sucks bad.

I'm not sure, he's certainly improved as a person since he started making the comic, he tends to have not lovely opinions on things these days. I mean his comic still isn't funny and he's still kinda creepy but at least he's not actively encouraging his fans to be worse people like, i don't know, Scott Adams :shrug:

Cingulate posted:

You were probably thinking of this:

Probably, thanks. I guess. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

I'm not sure, he's certainly improved as a person since he started making the comic, he tends to have not lovely opinions on things these days. I mean his comic still isn't funny and he's still kinda creepy but at least he's not actively encouraging his fans to be worse people like, i don't know, Scott Adams :shrug:

He's not a bad person, he's just an ultra-nerdy sap who is only sporadically funny. So still better than Scott Adams, yeah.

Egregious Offences
Jun 15, 2013

divabot posted:

hyper-traditionalist continues to delight and inspire. I am slightly inspired to write a response blog, cultural-kelvinism. I have two posts of this sort of thing to my main tumblr. But I also have no attention span. Ideas for future posts welcomed.

Absolute entropy now!

Egregious Offences has a new favorite as of 18:49 on Jan 10, 2016

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

So how happy are these dorks about the imminent 1000 year Trumpenreich

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

babypolis posted:

So how happy are these dorks about the imminent 1000 year Trumpenreich

Over the loving moon. The one thing the gay Jews and the fancy neo-Nazis can both agree on is that the Donald is The Man and they love everything about him.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!
Quantum mechanics means that, through sheer luck of the draw, some photons can be born with higher energy than others, even during the heat death. It has to be abolished before true equality can arise!

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Zemyla posted:

Quantum mechanics means that, through sheer luck of the draw, some photons can be born with higher energy than others, even during the heat death. It has to be abolished before true equality can arise!

The messages are being sent back from a spontaneously created Boltzmann brain, acting as a vanguard brain if you will before dissolving into quantum flux once more.

Meanwhile, hyper-traditionalist appears to have been taken seriously and is not happy about it.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

This story is perfect fodder for neo-reactionaries and race realists! It has everything, the empirically guided revolutionary from the deep south, a set of heterodox ideas about race and the establishment bias systematically marginalising his work. The establishment (dare I say Cathedral) then enshrining a professor from the North who uses a thin veneer of empiricism to cover up his race agenda as the first properly empirical sociologist in the US:
http://berkeleyjournal.org/2016/01/the-case-for-scholarly-reparations/

Well, it would be if the Southern Revolutionary wasn't black, talked about race as a social construct etc and the Northern Establishment guy was someone who talked about people of colour having to overcome their "savage" natures and the likes.

Btw, it's a good article but I would thoroughly recommend reading through to the later sections as some of the opening paragraphs shine more heat than light in my opinion. People will differ on that sentiment though.

P.S. I am not a social scientist so if people have beef about that article I'd be interested hearing about it but probably better via PM unless the criticism has direct bearing on NRXers or the like.

Munin has a new favorite as of 23:51 on Jan 12, 2016

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

asocratesgonemad posted:

Did u no

Ebenezer Bukowski, founder of Scientology+, invented Roko’s Basilisk in order to punish people who don’t donate to his joint bank account with fascist dictator Michael Anissimov, which they use to facilitate their plot to cuckold every technology startup in North America. They plan to accomplish this using omnipotent robots, like the ones in Terminator.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
We will build little white cuckbots by 2019

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Only vaguely related to these dorks but what is the thread's opinion on Fredrik DeBoer? He and Scott make a lot of similar arguments but I feel much more inclined to agree with "online leftists act way too smugly when you consider the precarious position global leftism is in these days" than "leftists are the real opressors"

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

babypolis posted:

Only vaguely related to these dorks but what is the thread's opinion on Fredrik DeBoer? He and Scott make a lot of similar arguments but I feel much more inclined to agree with "online leftists act way too smugly when you consider the precarious position global leftism is in these days" than "leftists are the real opressors"

I think DeBoer raises some important points, and not just about online debating tactics. I often disagree with him, partly because he is, somewhat ironically, actually pretty far left, partly because he's, even more ironically, pretty smug himself, partly because he sometimes just has bad ideas, but he can be worth reading.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

babypolis posted:

He's alright, I have some friends who hate him, but he seems okay.

Scott can go screw himself. 90% of what he writes can be reduced to the following image

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

babypolis posted:

I like DeBoer, and I usually agree with what he says. But there's this weird dynamic where he's constantly talking about how leftists need to be more pragmatic and goal oriented while never actually doing anything. Like he hasn't done any actual work when it comes to advancing leftist causes for years, but he's constantly sitting in judgement of people who are trying to do things.

Patrick Spens has a new favorite as of 06:54 on Jan 15, 2016

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Patrick Spens posted:

Like he has done any actually work when it comes to advancing leftist causes for years, but he's constantly sitting in judgement of people who trying to do things.

Am I going insane or is this sentence written by a caveman

EDIT: I'm not trying to be an rear end I legit can't tell if I've just personally forgotten how words work because i'm kinda tired :shobon:

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Am I going insane or is this sentence written by a caveman

EDIT: I'm not trying to be an rear end I legit can't tell if I've just personally forgotten how words work because i'm kinda tired :shobon:

:stonk: What the gently caress did I just type? Fixed.

Merdifex
May 13, 2015

by Shine
DeBoer is a genuine leftist who all the NRx, HBD, right-wingers on the internet like because they see him as denouncing the evil SJWs, ignoring that DeBoer is a "SJW" himself.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Milo is freaking out on twitter because they took his verified badge for harassing people. His followers have gotten "#JeSuisMilo" up to 47k mentions, and it's trending at the top of the US... uh... charts right now.

I'm not sure I understand the point of that to be honest. The verified mark isnt supposed to be a badge of honor right? It just verifies that this is the actual person. If the person is being a moron it would make more sense to keep it just to affirm that, yes, it is that guy not someone trying to imitated smear them, and he is that much of a dick.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

massive spider posted:

I'm not sure I understand the point of that to be honest. The verified mark isnt supposed to be a badge of honor right? It just verifies that this is the actual person. If the person is being a moron it would make more sense to keep it just to affirm that, yes, it is that guy not someone trying to imitated smear them, and he is that much of a dick.

It makes more sense when you consider that Twitter's moderation is wholly incompetent and fails to ban even for clear-cut violations of their own rules all the time.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

massive spider posted:

Someone in twitter support knows poo poo about Milo well enough to determine that the removal of the little blue mark of cuck would hurt ego thousand times stronger than a simple ban. His frothing rage activized his supporters to use Twitter more, which means more clicks and hashtags, so it is win-win - you slap a moron with a warning and make money for the boss. Shame that people that his brigade harrasses on a daily basis will suffer even more, but thats corporations and outrage economy for you.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Silver2195 posted:

I think DeBoer raises some important points, and not just about online debating tactics. I often disagree with him, partly because he is, somewhat ironically, actually pretty far left, partly because he's, even more ironically, pretty smug himself, partly because he sometimes just has bad ideas, but he can be worth reading.

De Boer has relevant content for this thread!

Fredrik de Boer posted:

So many of the geeks I argue with online are saying, in one way or another, “Only my pain matters. My pain is deeper than everyone else’s.”

The problem is that you recognizing the equal value of other people’s experience is just a bridge that many geeks refuse to cross. That’s why there’s a GamerGate, that’s why there’s the Sad Puppies: the absolute refusal to engage in empathetic imagination.

See if you can guess who he was arguing nerd oppression with. Go on, guess.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

divabot posted:

De Boer has relevant content for this thread!

See if you can guess who he was arguing nerd oppression with. Go on, guess.

Hey hey hey, freaks create, progs occupy. SJWs are trying to co-opt our pure innocent bastions of freedom and ruin it with their puritan moralizing.

And if there's one thing SJW LGBTQ and racial minorities don't understand, it's feeling left out, marginalized, unfairly judged and having your culture co-opted.

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900

The Vosgian Beast posted:

And if there's one thing SJW LGBTQ and racial minorities don't understand, it's feeling left out, marginalized, unfairly judged and having your culture co-opted.

It's because they're all goths, right?

Oligopsony
May 17, 2007
Someone on rationalist Tumblr mentioned that reading this thread gives them suicidal urges, so maybe we should tone-police a little more re:generalizations and stuff? Seems like the right/SJWy thing to do. (I'm phrasing this in a goofy way because that's the only register I know, but I do mean it seriously, maybe because I've gotten suicidal urges over strange things myself over the years.)

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Oligopsony posted:

Someone on rationalist Tumblr mentioned that reading this thread gives them suicidal urges, so maybe we should tone-police a little more re:generalizations and stuff? Seems like the right/SJWy thing to do. (I'm phrasing this in a goofy way because that's the only register I know, but I do mean it seriously, maybe because I've gotten suicidal urges over strange things myself over the years.)

that's just the normal SA experience

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Oligopsony posted:

Was it BrazenAutomoton?

Hey whoever you are, stop reading this thread, hatereading is a painful trap to get caught in sometimes. I know that's easier said than done, but trust me, this thread is not as big of a deal as you might think it is. I, too am somewhat uncomfortable with how people who are generally good on social justice issues being willing to shame dudes for social anxiety, neurodevelopmental disorders in the autism spectrum, uncomfortable introversion or being overweight.

Also gamergate is a proxy war for the benefit of far-right assholes, Yudkowsky is a cultleader, Scott Alexander is a short-sighted crypto-facist buffoon, and memetics is bullshit.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Oligopsony posted:

This is a good thing and I broadly concur.

Even for the sake of a literal MRA and Gamergater.

Or someone claiming people who remember MIRI pushing HPMOR hard are dishonest liars for having functioning memories and not going along with MIRI's, ah, pivot on this issue.

OTOH, fuckin' tulpas from fan fiction, holy poo poo. Somehow the problem is not them deliberately inducing something very like dissociative personality disorder in themselves, it's anyone else noticing. EVIL I say. I think your linkage of it to Roko's Basilisk was spot-on, and this is important and useful in understanding the weirder and more damaging consequences of the darker bits of the LessWrong mindset.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

divabot posted:

Or someone claiming people who remember MIRI pushing HPMOR hard are dishonest liars for having functioning memories and not going along with MIRI's, ah, pivot on this issue.

OTOH, fuckin' tulpas from fan fiction, holy poo poo. Somehow the problem is not them deliberately inducing something very like dissociative personality disorder in themselves, it's anyone else noticing. EVIL I say. I think your linkage of it to Roko's Basilisk was spot-on, and this is important and useful in understanding the weirder and more damaging consequences of the darker bits of the LessWrong mindset.

Knew it would be

Hey gamergate: you are being used. Milo is not a champion of nerds. Matt Forney is not a champion of nerds. Roosh is not a champion of nerds. They're assholes who see a chance to strike back against their enemies via cynical manipulation of depressed and lonely people. You are being lied to. These people will discard you the moment they don't need you anymore, and the second you stop fighting their battles for them the better off everyone will be.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Oligopsony posted:

Well as a fellow depressed person who occasionally thinks about that sorta thing, I can admit I'm probably being jokey and dismissive to stuff they may have put a lot of thought and research into and that probably doesn't help their moods.

Then again if I talked about my suicidal tendencies while being against their side they'd get jokey and dismissive about me too so it evens out :v:

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Knew it would be

Hey gamergate: you are being used. Milo is not a champion of nerds. Matt Forney is not a champion of nerds. Roosh is not a champion of nerds. They're assholes who see a chance to strike back against their enemies via cynical manipulation of depressed and lonely people. You are being lied to. These people will discard you the moment they don't need you anymore, and the second you stop fighting their battles for them the better off everyone will be.

You've got to feel a bit sorry for them. They get to adulthood and suddenly discover that people will pander to them for personal benefit. This is a new experience to people who previously had no social capital.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx

Oligopsony posted:

lol if people arguing against your logic leads to suicidal thoughts and you have the guts to call yourself a rationalist just lol.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Oligopsony posted:

If people disagreeing with you in a dismissive manner causes suicidal urges, you probably shouldn't be on the internet. Like that's either just a blanket excuse to justify refusing criticism or someone who needs to be in some for of medical observation at all times.

Merdifex
May 13, 2015

by Shine

Peztopiary posted:

lol if people arguing against your logic leads to suicidal thoughts and you have the guts to call yourself a rationalist just lol.

I don't know what this person actually said, but this is a common thread in alt-right thought, where people criticizing your lovely ideology is the most evil thing ever. St. Rev. was going around decrying all criticism of ESR as ableist, and as trying to bring down the skilled and accomplished (lol, ESR? accomplished?), same with criticism of Paul Graham's classism. For some reason or another, they take it more personally than it makes sense to, to me anyway.

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe

Oligopsony posted:

If you can't handled getting mocked on a dead gay forum then you're really not going to like it when you have to pay the phone bill.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Merdifex posted:

I don't know what this person actually said, but this is a common thread in alt-right thought, where people criticizing your lovely ideology is the most evil thing ever. St. Rev. was going around decrying all criticism of ESR as ableist, and as trying to bring down the skilled and accomplished (lol, ESR? accomplished?), same with criticism of Paul Graham's classism. For some reason or another, they take it more personally than it makes sense to, to me anyway.

"Anything that can be destroyed by the truth should be, unless it makes the ingroup feel bad."

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Peztopiary posted:

tbf, you can't really logic yourself out of mental illness generally, regardless of how good you are at it. Look at Kurt Godel or Georg Cantor.

Merdifex posted:

I said this earlier but the key is just assuming post-rationalists have basically the same moral compass as you, except "being a left-wing person expressing a normative opinion" is automatically the most evil thing in the history of evil.

So you get "Milo says lovely stuff, but a left-wing person just expressed a normative opinion about him, and that is true evil"

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Patrick Spens posted:

I like DeBoer, and I usually agree with what he says. But there's this weird dynamic where he's constantly talking about how leftists need to be more pragmatic and goal oriented while never actually doing anything. Like he hasn't done any actual work when it comes to advancing leftist causes for years, but he's constantly sitting in judgement of people who are trying to do things.

This is my main problem with DeBoer. He spends an inordinate amount of time complaining about SJWs and people being mean on twitter, when I'm not really sure those things matter all that much when it comes to thinking about why leftism is not on the rise.

Oligopsony
May 17, 2007

Badger of Basra posted:

This is my main problem with DeBoer. He spends an inordinate amount of time complaining about SJWs and people being mean on twitter, when I'm not really sure those things matter all that much when it comes to thinking about why leftism is not on the rise.

They probably don't, and if leftists in general devoted a comparable % of their attention to such things it would be a tremendous waste. It's okay for individual writers to specialize in their concerns, though, and I feel like he's going about it in a relatively reasoned way.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Speaking of Matt Forney, he and MRA superstar Dean Esmay have gotten into a twitter altercation. We Hunted The Mammoth has the story http://www.wehuntedthemammoth.com/2...tch/#more-21803

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

divabot posted:

Oh good, tulpas make their triumphant return to PYF. Last time it was the brony mock thread way back in like 2012 and they were trying to make imaginary friend cartoon ponies and instead gave themselves meditation-induced schizophrenia.