Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Snacksmaniac posted:

Doesn't fit. Will have to be Proxy Trick Jarrett

Email submission to therealtrick420@gmail.com

You wouldn't steal someone's identity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Hellsau posted:

I was about to defend High Market, since gaining life equal to the toughness of a sacrificed creature at no additional mana cost is actually pretty good, but then I remembered that was Diamond Valley and that High Market gains 1 life and is worthless.

Jace, the Mind Sculptor, Treachery, and the Splinter Twin combo exist alongside Carrier Thrall and a ton of lovely white aggro stuff. Why is Archangel of Thune in the cube if there's no actual combos with it? Do I really want to be playing a 5 mana 3/4 that needs to attack a few times to actually pay me off, while my opponent is reanimating Grave Titan or assembling Pestermite/Splinter Twin, or just burning me the gently caress out before turn 5 even comes? Archangel just seems worse than any of the white four drops. Why not just put in all the Soul Sisters garbage if you're going to put in a terrible white archetype? At least Soul Sisters is fun.

The cube is excessively imbalanced - there are good archetypes, and there are horrible ones. I don't think the table can all be on good archetypes, so you need to hope at least one of the people in your pod wants to play White Weenie, hope at least two people force mono-red to cannibalize eachother (unless it's deep enough for two) and then figure out which of Blue Control/Twin/Reanimator/Green Ramp are open for your seat.

The best was that horrific cube video on CFB a few months ago by I think Josh McClain where he scanned his P1P1 and confidently declared Archangel of Thune the best card in the pack without a doubt (I believe it included, among other things, Noble Hierarch and Recurring Nightmare). Even being exceedingly generous, it was somewhere around the 13th best card in the pack.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

MiddleEastBeast posted:

The best was that horrific cube video on CFB a few months ago by I think Josh McClain where he scanned his P1P1 and confidently declared Archangel of Thune the best card in the pack without a doubt (I believe it included, among other things, Noble Hierarch and Recurring Nightmare). Even being exceedingly generous, it was somewhere around the 13th best card in the pack.

I mean Archangel is incredibly powerful if the cards are in the draft. They aren't. If you've got Soul Warden, Soul's Attendant, Suture Priest, Auriok Champion, Serra Ascendant, Martyr of Sands, etc, and you just play Archangel of Thune, you've got yourself a sweet imitation Craterhood Behemoth. Also stuff like Spike Feeder life gain combo is a White/Green version of Splinter Twin, but god forbid there be a combo outside of the already strongest colors. There just doesn't appear to be a reason to have Archangel in the cube. Archangel is just one example of it, but there are so many worthless white cards that it's just shameful.

Maybe there's a W/B lifegain/aristocrats/counters archetype that can go into the cube, but I have no idea how to construct a cube so what do I know.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
the people who design the MODO cube generally don't seem to know what makes cube fun

Like, MDT's article about it was like "well green does stuff and should be ramp stuff, so we removed all the mana rocks to make sure green has a good identity!" :hurr:

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
Anyone in the NOLA area? I'm going there in a few weeks for work, I'll be by the Louis Armstrong airport.

Any store recommendations? Formats that are run Monday to Wednesday nights?

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

MiddleEastBeast posted:

I would take Nightmare, Hierarch, Looter, and Counterspell comfortably over Archangel. Maybe even Cursed Scroll or the dual.

Lancelot fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jan 15, 2016

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Temple and Reflecting Pool are probably the only two cards in that pack worse than Archangel of Thune if we're talking P1P1.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Lancelot posted:

I would take Nightmare, Hierarch, Looter, and Counterspell comfortably over Archangel. Maybe even Cursed Scroll or the dual.

Ach Hans, my tables! Also I think I'd take any of those cards over the Archangel except maybe Gravecrawler (because black aggro is bad and not fun). Even Crusade and Student of Warfare are better in the only deck that would play Archangel. The Archangel costs a ton and does nothing!

Though Josh did end up taking the Recurring Nightmare at the last possible second so at least he figured it out eventually.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

gwrtheyrn posted:

If you just want a pretty even spread of the BFZ ones, i think you can still find fatpacks of oath for around $45,

How many lands of each will be in the fat pack, and are they full art?

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Shadow225 posted:

How many lands of each will be in the fat pack, and are they full art?

80 lands, 16 of each type as full art plus everything else in the fat pack

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
Where will the non full set wastes be? Precons?

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

Molybdenum posted:

Where will the non full set wastes be? Precons?
Yes

Kunzelman
Dec 26, 2007

Lord Shaper
Just wanted to ping in here with an interview I did with Ian Duke, the Development lead on Oath. I asked him some stuff about the upcoming set and some general questions about the state of Magic currently, and I think he gives some pretty great answers to the questions. http://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2016/01/a-magic-developer-talks-oath-of-the-gatewatch-and.html

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Lawnie posted:

You wouldn't proxy someone's identity

Took the liberty of fixing your post.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

Kunzelman posted:

Just wanted to ping in here with an interview I did with Ian Duke, the Development lead on Oath. I asked him some stuff about the upcoming set and some general questions about the state of Magic currently, and I think he gives some pretty great answers to the questions. http://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2016/01/a-magic-developer-talks-oath-of-the-gatewatch-and.html
this is good, thank you

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Serperoth posted:

Took the liberty of fixing your post.

posting with a sharpie itt

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

Molybdenum posted:

Anyone in the NOLA area? I'm going there in a few weeks for work, I'll be by the Louis Armstrong airport.

Any store recommendations? Formats that are run Monday to Wednesday nights?

+1 Gaming is probably your best bet for events M-W and close to MSY.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C

ScarletBrother posted:

+1 Gaming is probably your best bet for events M-W and close to MSY.

Thanks, I'll give it a shot.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Leonin arbiter is experiencing a spike, they're over $5 apiece now from a little under $2 for a long time. Possibly speculation from people thinking stoneforge could get unbanned, or also possibly a response to the eldrazi decks to counter eye of ugin.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Leonin arbiter is experiencing a spike, they're over $5 apiece now from a little under $2 for a long time. Possibly speculation from people thinking stoneforge could get unbanned, or also possibly a response to the eldrazi decks to counter eye of ugin.

Didn't G/W Hatebears do decently well maybe a month ago? Maybe Hatebears is a real deck.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Hellsau posted:

Didn't G/W Hatebears do decently well maybe a month ago? Maybe Hatebears is a real deck.

It's great in a meta of Tron, Amulet, and Eldrazi.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

suicidesteve posted:

It's great in a meta of Tron, Amulet, and Eldrazi.

Yeah it wasn't very good for a long time but in a very tron and amulet heavy meta it's actually pretty great. I never built it in paper but lately it seems like a strong choice and I'm sick of losing to tron with little kid abzan. 6-3 in Charlotte with 2 losses to tron where it felt like I didn't get play.

The new flickerdrazi seems like a solid new addition to that deck though.

Actually I have a rules question about that guy and arbiter: if my opponent pays the 2 to search, and in response to the opponent doing whatever they're going to do to search I flicker the arbiter, they have to pay 2 again since it's a "new" arbiter, correct?

Fingers McLongDong fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jan 16, 2016

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
correct

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Actually I have a rules question about that guy and arbiter: if my opponent pays the 2 to search, and in response to the opponent doing whatever they're going to do to search I flicker the arbiter, they have to pay 2 again since it's a "new" arbiter, correct?

1/1/2011 If there are multiple Leonin Arbiters on the battlefield, a player must pay {2} for each one before being able to search libraries that turn.

If the flickered Arbiter is considered "new", then that ruling would seem to insinuate yes. You'd have to flicker in response to them making a search action, though, since that payment doesn't use the stack.

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.

Kyrosiris posted:

1/1/2011 If there are multiple Leonin Arbiters on the battlefield, a player must pay {2} for each one before being able to search libraries that turn.

If the flickered Arbiter is considered "new", then that ruling would seem to insinuate yes. You'd have to flicker in response to them making a search action, though, since that payment doesn't use the stack.

They can only do it if they have priority so it would play like this:

Either the dude pays before triggering or activating the search or does it while the search is on the stack while holding priority, then when he passes priority to you you flicker the arbiter and he gets a chance to pay again.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

TheLawinator posted:

They can only do it if they have priority so it would play like this:

Either the dude pays before triggering or activating the search or does it while the search is on the stack while holding priority, then when he passes priority to you you flicker the arbiter and he gets a chance to pay again.

Which seems good, my experience with that deck it seemed like it needed a mana sink of some kind when it runs out of gas, the mono-white version at least. Flickering arbiters or flickering Flickerwisps on someone's upkeep to continuously tax their land seems good. The deck usually runs like 6-7 colorless lands but usually you're saccing them so I don't know how feasible it is.

Maybe a version with Knight of the Reliquary and life from the loam?

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

That doesnt make sense to me. You get the library search trigger, then get the Leonin arbiter trigger, and if you bounce him its not like you're getting a new search trigger? I don't know that seems real sketchy to me.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Bread Set Jettison posted:

That doesnt make sense to me. You get the library search trigger, then get the Leonin arbiter trigger, and if you bounce him its not like you're getting a new search trigger? I don't know that seems real sketchy to me.

Leonin Arbiter isn't a trigger. It grants each player a special action which doesn't use the stack (similar to unmorphing a creature or playing a land). At the time the search attempts to resolve, if there are any Arbiters on the field whose taxes have not been paid, you don't get to search, regardless of when that Arbiter entered the battlefield.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Gotcha. If anyone ever pulled that on me before reading this I'd probably call a judge because it seems super weird.

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.

Paying the arbiter is to allow you to search your library for the whole turn. If a new arbiter or the same arbiter is flickered it basically no longer remembers that you paid.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

cheetah7071 posted:

Leonin Arbiter isn't a trigger. It grants each player a special action which doesn't use the stack (similar to unmorphing a creature or playing a land). At the time the search attempts to resolve, if there are any Arbiters on the field whose taxes have not been paid, you don't get to search, regardless of when that Arbiter entered the battlefield.

So let me guess: there's gonna be some new televised or twitter drama (man this new embed function means we get to embed all these sweet tweets!) surrounding someone passing priority without paying for a cost while looking their opponent in the eyes.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Gotcha. If anyone ever pulled that on me before reading this I'd probably call a judge because it seems super weird.

Given that it's not a trigger, you can technically "gotcha" people with Arbiter. It's not a trigger so it's not something you're responsible for and don't have to remind them. They crack a fetch, ask if it resolves, you say yes. They reach for the deck and you can stop them since they didn't pay and it's too late to pay because the fetch activation is technically allowed to resolve, unlike something like suppression field. Might come off as a bit scummy to some but at a big event you'd probably need to take advantage of it.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Hellsau posted:

People betting on a stoneforge unban.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

mcmagic posted:

People betting on a stoneforge unban.

If that did happen in could see arbiter and thalia both going up to $10 each. Dunno if batterskull would spike since there's a bunch of GP promo ones out there.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

If that did happen in could see arbiter and thalia both going up to $10 each. Dunno if batterskull would spike since there's a bunch of GP promo ones out there.

Batterskull is also often a 1-of with stoneforge too

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

Okay so I'm apparently doing sealed tomorrow instead of draft for the first time ever, anyone have any tips for it?

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I

Fiend Computer posted:

Okay so I'm apparently doing sealed tomorrow instead of draft for the first time ever, anyone have any tips for it?

Play your bombs, its slower than draft would be, hope you open a playable pool

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Fiend Computer posted:

Play bombs, treat your colorless stuff as an actual color splash. It's not that hard to get stuff to enable it with scions and stuff though, especially in sealed where you can likely play as many of those sources as you need. I mean technically you could just not open enough of them but there's a ton of em

The big thing for me is that most archetypes from draft rarely work in sealed - you're usually just playing the colors with the best cards, not the best synergy.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Jan 16, 2016

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Terrible Horse posted:

Play your bombs, its slower than draft would be, hope you open a playable pool

This usually works, but I should post my cautionary tale of opening two Stormbreaths, a Chained to the Rocks, and a Temple of Triumph, along with maybe a half-dozen on-color playables at the Theros pre-release, then forcing RW and losing my rear end. Don't let bombs cloud your better judgment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Angry Grimace posted:

The big thing for me is that most archetypes from draft rarely work in sealed - you're usually just playing the colors with the best cards, not the best synergy.

Which should be a smaller issue in Oath than pure BFZ.

• Locked thread