Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I have Lunar Subterrain 2-5 and two FF13 elites to go and am also in no hurry. Partially because when I finally got caught up to this point we were in the middle of an FFIV event with a FF13 event about to start. I think I will clear them after the next DU though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

Evil Fluffy posted:

I'd run dungeons but that means not farming orbs and I really want to be sitting on 1k+ of all the 3* orbs so that as soon as we get the orb combining feature I can convert them to greaters and hone up a bunch of r3-4 abilities.

While not doing elites I just orb farmed so I'm partway to that goal, 1k in a few and 500-700 in the rest iirc.

SSBFest means another OrbFest where this team Cactuar = guaranteed 4* and Gigantaur = guaranteed 5* right? If so then I'll likely spend 50~ mythril on refreshes on whichever phases have Power and Black.

Speaking of orb hoarding, I'll need to decide what to do with my summon orbs at some point. My only hone was to get Valefor to R2, so I'm sitting on 534 3*, 118 4*, and 35 5* summon orbs and don't know what's the ideal way to use them.

Turning a bunch of those 5*s into 4*s so that Valefor and some elementals like Leviathan, Alexander, and Phoenix can be honed to R3+ offers a lot more flexibility and ability uses, but those 5* summons jump in damage output when they switch to a two-hit half-power attack. Guess it will depend on whether Bahamut's need for Major NEOs and Darks poses a conflict with other top skills as they become available?

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

So on a lark I desided to start a file on JP too. Just did my first real pull.

Dreams do come true. :allears:

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
I like how it is a lance.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

ETB posted:

I like how it is a lance.

I want you to all envision Freya or Fang leaping into the air and coming down chainsaw-first.

2 SPOOKY
Sep 9, 2010

Always Be Alert!

Dr Pepper posted:

So on a lark I desided to start a file on JP too. Just did my first real pull.

Dreams do come true. :allears:

How difficult is it for someone who doesn't read Japanese to play, if you're familiar with the global version? I did this on PAD and it wasn't overly terrible, though some stuff WAS pretty obtuse to decipher.

Unrelated: I'm finding myself in a strange place. I'm pretty well-rounded for synergy, I have a wall but no hastega, and my only aoe heal is vanille's protect+heal. I'm finding that I cant beat some ultimates (exdeath, Rubicante), but can the rest.

This doesn't bother me, but I'm curious. Should I go hard on the upcoming SSBfest, or should I follow my heart and blow everything on the FFT banners?

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

KataraniSword posted:

I want you to all envision Freya or Fang leaping into the air and coming down chainsaw-first.

Or better yet, Mog. :getin:

The hockey mask seriously needs to be a shared SB...

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

2 SPOOKY posted:

Unrelated: I'm finding myself in a strange place. I'm pretty well-rounded for synergy, I have a wall but no hastega, and my only aoe heal is vanille's protect+heal. I'm finding that I cant beat some ultimates (exdeath, Rubicante), but can the rest.

This doesn't bother me, but I'm curious. Should I go hard on the upcoming SSBfest, or should I follow my heart and blow everything on the FFT banners?

FFT banners have a Hastega, and Oerba's Boon isn't that bad. If your wall is Tyro instead of Y'shtola, even better because that means Tyro can melee it up with the rest of a physically-oriented group while you have Vanille as your token white mage.

That said, the SSSB banners probably won't be bad to pull on. You're pretty much gonna be guaranteed to see at least one character relic per banner that you could use in a Screamsiphon meta.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

kalensc posted:

I think the best answer you'll get is "99% likely since it's the point of the festival to group SSBs together and the JP event included it, but DeNa has always changed banners in the past sooooo....".

Edit: Oh yeah, Organics wasn't included, hmm. I'd still wait for SSB.

Yuna's and Cloud's SSBs weren't included because they were in events just before and during (respectively) the SSSSB Fest. Tyro's is the only notable omission, and since it's godawful that's really no surprise.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

Zurai posted:

Yuna's and Cloud's SSBs weren't included because they were in events just before and during (respectively) the SSSSB Fest. Tyro's is the only notable omission, and since it's godawful that's really no surprise.

As someone who has that book: :smith: Besides the Monday orbs it won't ever see use now that the SSB is mastered, any 2*++ or better RS weapon will equal or surpass it when he comes along for ability flexibility.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

KataraniSword posted:

Oh gods yes. Freya coming down chainsaw first onto some unsuspecting bastard's head? Good thing she already wears a red jacket/coat/whatever, don't even need to wash it to get the blood stains out.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

FeralWraith posted:

Before you entirely give up, let me ask this:

- What are your highest character levels (overall and in FF4)?
- Do you have Shellga and a decently honed heal (rank 3 or up)?
- What breaks/breakdowns do you have?

Basically what I'm going for is that if you have the capability to put up something of a defense, you can try to advantaliate it (retaliate hones don't cost too much). That does require an Advance RW. Also, will probably cost you a mythril if you can't take White Dragon down without the RW.

I'd say it's worth attempting the boss rush and the ++ Odin fight just so you can try to get Decil's MC2, because that's the only thing that you would be forced to wait for to pop up again. Orbs can be farmed, gear can be gotten through gacha, whether it's 3*/4*/5*. But characters and crystals are the big pain in the rear end.

Well I ended up going for it and it did indeed end up costing me 2 mythril. Didn't even get Mastery. :negative:

To answer your questions anyways though:
- Highest overall is around 54, most of the characters I regularly use are 50~55. For FF4 I haven't used much of anyone other than Pencil sitting around mid-40's somewhere.
- I have 8 casts of Curaga and both Protega/Shellga in various forms (mainly Bard songs and Shared SB relics).
- I have Armor/Mental/Magic Breakdown and Steal Power, all unhoned at R1.

I did Advantaliate the bosses to get past them, I'm attempting Odin now and may need to do the same for him because my damage output isn't nearly as high as I need it to be, but I think doing Advantaliate will be very possible to at minimum clear for the MC2.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

2 SPOOKY posted:

How difficult is it for someone who doesn't read Japanese to play, if you're familiar with the global version? I did this on PAD and it wasn't overly terrible, though some stuff WAS pretty obtuse to decipher.

It's pretty easy to play mostly. Everything is done with large distinct icons so it's easy to see what's what.

The only stuff you have to really look up is Mastery and Record Materia requirements.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

DAMMIT, ALMOST HAD BAHAMUT. Not sure if he's supposed to Doom my party on the first go or anything.

Also gently caress, I now have to restart the WHOLE dungeon since I forgot to S/L at the last second. seriously it was one loving tick left why does Doom have to be a Bahamut thing

Also also, is it me or have most of these XIII Elite bosses been disgustingly easy? And no, I wasn't around for Brynhildr either so.

EDIT:

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Immediate Doom Counter at the start of the fight is a trend among all the eidolon fights from FFXIII. Please look forward to the boss rush where it's 3 Doom Counter fights.

WELL XIII CAN EAT A BAG OF DICKS

widespread fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Jan 16, 2016

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Immediate Doom Counter at the start of the fight is a trend among all the eidolon fights from FFXIII. Please look forward to the boss rush where it's 3 Doom Counter fights.

DICKS FOR DINNER
Sep 6, 2008

Stand Proud
It's 4, actually. Odin, Nix/Styria, Brynhildr, Bahamut again.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
It's only four because even DeNA wouldn't be that cruel to subject us to six Doom fights in a row.

I can't wait til we eventually have to face Orphan as an Ultimate+ boss with a Doom timer.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

How about Ultimate+ Kefka that might just spam Heartless Angel at the whims of the RNG?

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
Anyone know how long it was between when Japan got the UI update and when they got ability breakdown/orb conversion? I thought it was only a few weeks. We've gotta be more than a month now since our update; I'm wonder if they gave us the UI early because it has no effect on the power curve, but are holding off orb conversion until when Japan got it.

DICKS FOR DINNER
Sep 6, 2008

Stand Proud

Schwartzcough posted:

Anyone know how long it was between when Japan got the UI update and when they got ability breakdown/orb conversion? I thought it was only a few weeks. We've gotta be more than a month now since our update; I'm wonder if they gave us the UI early because it has no effect on the power curve, but are holding off orb conversion until when Japan got it.

It was only a week or so between the UI and orb conversion in JP, so it's almost guaranteed that they're holding it back for balance reasons.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
Well, I decided to try a power of 3 draw for myself, figured why not.

I guess it's SOMETHING my white mage can do when they have an SB ready? That isn't named Y'sholta? At least it has a respectable 21 Atk, 18 Mag and Mnd, 105 Eva and an 80 in Def and Res at 20.

Kemix fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Jan 16, 2016

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE
http://www.spelunkerworld.com/info/2016/01/13/jan_2nd_half_feb_events.html?w=n#s2

So if this Spelunker World game can get its Secret of Mana crossover event, surely we can get our SOM crossover event on our version of FFRK too right? Right...?

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

Kemix posted:

I guess it's SOMETHING my white mage can do when they have an SB ready? That isn't named Y'sholta? At least it has a respectable 21 Atk, 18 Mag and Mnd, 105 Eva and an 80 in Def and Res at 20.

give it to a non-WM with a lovely SB so they can do a random AoE heal here and there

Also Bracers are great armors, especially with Synergy due to the Attack boost

Captain Vittles
Feb 12, 2008

I'm not a nerd! I'm a video game enthusiast.

widespread posted:

seriously it was one loving tick left why does Doom have to be a Bahamut thing

This was my third attempt (well, third S/L) at Bahamut. Sazh saved my rear end with one second to go. If he hadn't, I think Hope would have fired off his last spell in time, but I'm not so sure. I didn't want to S/L this time, though, because Bahamut had such a tiny sliver of health that it was worth the risk. I've had your experience in other battles; it sucks so much to have the timer run you down on the brink of victory.

I'm not looking forward to the elite and ultimate battles for this event. I finally trounced Geryon today in the FF4 event with a Mage party but every attempt at Ultimate Rubicante has been awful - I don't have my own Wall or Hastega, and I just can't keep up againt his damage output. I really want that cloak but I don't know if it's in the cards for me.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
Do you have your own regen aoe sb? I brought a wall rw and used boon/hymn to secure my victory re: ult rubicante. Also 3 sources of water/ice damage.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Shock Trooper posted:

http://www.spelunkerworld.com/info/2016/01/13/jan_2nd_half_feb_events.html?w=n#s2

So if this Spelunker World game can get its Secret of Mana crossover event, surely we can get our SOM crossover event on our version of FFRK too right? Right...?

I sure hope we get the SoM crossover event...

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Kemix posted:

Give it to your retaliate user. 5* bracelets with synergy are fantastic damage boosters.

Shock Trooper posted:

Brave Frontier has had Secret of Mana, Tales, Lord of the Rings, and other collabs that only happened in Japan so don't hold your breath. :(

DICKS FOR DINNER
Sep 6, 2008

Stand Proud
We could very well get the Secret of Mana crossover event. The main holdup for bringing over collabs is that they'd have to specifically hash out a deal with the rights holder for every territory. Being that Square-Enix is the rights holder for both FF and SoM, though, that problem no longer exists. It's not a guarantee that we'd still get it, but it's much, much more likely than any other of the missed collab events.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

Evil Fluffy posted:

Give it to your retaliate user. 5* bracelets with synergy are fantastic damage boosters.

Sadly, my Retaliate user (for the most part) is Gilgamesh, and he has Death Claw. Add in Taunt and Advance? That's an easy 5k+ times 3 without even trying and his default's plenty good for a slight attack boost. TYRO on the other hand, his default SB won't even break quad digits until MAYBE level 80+, even with an attack setup. So him as a Retauntulate user with this would be a better idea all in all.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Brave Frontier has had Secret of Mana, Tales, Lord of the Rings, and other collabs that only happened in Japan so don't hold your breath. :(

Well gently caress. And here I had a (slight) hope that we'd eventually get a colab or two. Ah well, we probably aren't even missing much in the long run, right?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
If you have a good realm weapon for Gilgamesh there is nothing good about using Tyro for tauntaliate duty when Gilgamesh is better at it in every possible way. (unless we get some crazy hard ranged-only boss)

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

I have good news, and I have bad news.
Which do you want to hear first...?
This is a momentous occasion for me. I have, for the first time, mastered all currently accessible content. :toot:

(Leviathan (III) is a bitch.)

Are Tyro and Y'shtola still the only two characters that have Wall in Japan? And is Wall just as important there still as it is here?

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

Evil Fluffy posted:

If you have a good realm weapon for Gilgamesh there is nothing good about using Tyro for tauntaliate duty when Gilgamesh is better at it in every possible way. (unless we get some crazy hard ranged-only boss)

Well, I was just saiyan that Gilga has better uses for his SB charges than wasting time he COULD be using to attack on healing a few hundred/a thousand or so HP with his bad MND. And with how FF has been? I wouldn't be doubting that at SOME point we could potentially have a ranged-only boss that hits like a truck and potentially has a high Resistance to magic based attacks...or I'm just a paranoid bastard. One of the two :v:

DICKS FOR DINNER
Sep 6, 2008

Stand Proud

Kemix posted:

Well, I was just saiyan that Gilga has better uses for his SB charges than wasting time he COULD be using to attack on healing a few hundred/a thousand or so HP with his bad MND. And with how FF has been? I wouldn't be doubting that at SOME point we could potentially have a ranged-only boss that hits like a truck and potentially has a high Resistance to magic based attacks...or I'm just a paranoid bastard. One of the two :v:

There is something kind of like this later on (future event spoilers?) the Ultimate boss of the Freya/Garnet MC2 event enters an airborne state every few turns where it's, obviously, invulnerable to melee attacks but also its RES dramatically increases, and it can only be re-grounded by Jump abilities

Pointsman
Oct 9, 2010

If you see me posting about fitness
ASK ME HOW MY HELLRAISER TRAINING IS GOING
Just made Full Break. Here's hoping this is gonna be as nice as I think it is.

Valle
Apr 16, 2004

Telling customers how to solve world problems since 2001

Kemix posted:

I think Flyffy's point was that you should put the bracelet on your retaliator (so Gilgamesh) not because you want him to cure, but because the +ATT boost from a bracelet makes him hit harder. The shared SB's seem to me to have a tendency towards being crappier than character-specific SB's, so just use the bracelet like a normal piece of armor and forget about the SB on it!

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Evil Fluffy posted:

CURSE YOU, SCARLET HAIR!

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Remind me again what kind of orbs Lifesiphon needs? I'm grinding the daily today under the assumption I'll need Greater Non-Elemental Orbs. I got a major ice orb already :hellyeah:

Valth001
Jul 20, 2014

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Remind me again what kind of orbs Lifesiphon needs? I'm grinding the daily today under the assumption I'll need Greater Non-Elemental Orbs. I got a major ice orb already :hellyeah:

Lifesiphon uses Greater Power, Greater Ice, and Greater Wind orbs.

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE
Whew, Ultimate Rubicante down! Wasn't too bad in retrospect once I gave up the idea of Advantaliating and just brought a bunch of mages.

Rydia, Golbez, and Tellah all casting ice and water spells (I had one spell slot free so I gave Rydia Valefor but it only did like ~6200 damage). Lenna with Shellga and Curaja, Tyro on Steal Power / Magic Breakdown duty, and of course Sentinel Grimoire which I feel very fortunate to have now. Put a Mystery Veil on Tellah just for extra healing, and Candle Rod on Lenna (couldn't bring Rosa because she can't equip the Candle Rod, great decision there guys) just in case an extra AOE heal was needed over Curaja. Put Witch's Hat on Rydia too, once that was active the 9999's started flying. And of course the most important part was pulling a couple Emerald Light RW's off Reddit. I feel like if you don't already own a Hastega relic, you have no choice but to bring Boon or Emerald Light to the fight. Unless you get really lucky with him doing single-target attacks, it felt like there was no way to keep up with his speed. I guess you could also bring all 3 Haste RM's but those would run out when he gets to half life anyway.

Glad the next set of bonus battles start tonight so I can at least get them done (except the Ultimate probably) before Sundaily grinding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperHappy
Aug 22, 2004

feel the rhythm with your hands

DICKS FOR DINNER posted:

We could very well get the Secret of Mana crossover event. The main holdup for bringing over collabs is that they'd have to specifically hash out a deal with the rights holder for every territory. Being that Square-Enix is the rights holder for both FF and SoM, though, that problem no longer exists. It's not a guarantee that we'd still get it, but it's much, much more likely than any other of the missed collab events.

Not to mention that these crossovers are intended to cross-promote, right? And seein' how, unlike the SaGa series, the mobile version of SoM is available globally...

Basically there's no reason for them to skip it, and if they do, I'll take it to mean every crossover is getting skipped, regardless of the situation.

• Locked thread