Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AcidRonin
Apr 2, 2012

iM A ROOKiE RiGHT NOW BUT i PROMiSE YOU EVERY SiNGLE FUCKiN BiTCH ASS ARTiST WHO TRiES TO SHADE ME i WiLL VERBALLY DiSMANTLE YOUR ASSHOLE
i have this album:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apwMqObFlxU

On cassette tape. I humbly offer it as sweet van music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

AcidRonin posted:

i have this album:

It shall ride with us eternal, shiny and chrome.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
I think I've got Peter Tosh's "We don't want no nuclear war" on cassette. It's LOLerific.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Status report:
1. Van does not fit through door, even riding on dollies under the control arms.
2. Front panel removed, engine will come out the front.
3. All accessories removed, wiring disconnected.
4. Sawzall battery charging in prep for exhaust removal tomorrow.
5. Four more bellhousing bolts to go, inspection cover removed, torque converter accessible.

http://i.imgur.com/t8UZCsh.jpg

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

And here Adiabatic got my hopes up about saving the original engine when he actually got it started.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde

some texas redneck posted:

And here Adiabatic got my hopes up about saving the original engine when he actually got it started.

ahahahahahahahhahahahaha

No way, m8. It was pumping coolant like it was built to pump coolant. Wes got it started by draining all the coolant :v:

I guarantee that block needs an entire bottom-up rebuild to be worth half a drat and even after dumping all that money into it it'll be slower than and generally worse than an LS-type.

LM7/MAYBELQ4 ahoy!

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Pictures and videos to come later, but it's important that everyone meet Chebby:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ig6ne_YAoWA

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Exhaust is cut just below the manifold flanges, starter is out, inspection plate off. Need to decide if we're pulling the engine and tranny today or not. We found where at least some coolant had been going:

http://i.imgur.com/fPrGmiY.jpg

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
:stonk: yick

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.
Yeah that just needs a head gasket, lifters and maybe a cam for sure. Also a stern talking to about keeping its coolant in line and not letting it run amok in the valley.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

literally a fish posted:

AFAIK no truck L05 has a roller cam/lifter, but they're roller-ready. All the holes are drilled and tapped and everything, it all bolts right in.

That's interesting. I don't see the bosses for the spider. What's the deal with that?

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Raluek posted:

That's interesting. I don't see the bosses for the spider. What's the deal with that?

They're flush, and partially filled with coolant jizz.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Ozmiander posted:

They're flush, and partially filled with coolant jizz.

Are you sure? The ones on the L31 are pretty prominent.

E: The tops of the lifter bores in the van's motor aren't machined flat, either. Weird.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

AcidRonin posted:

i have this album:

The Terran Trade Authority album art loving sells this 100%

e- That's the starliner "Galactic Queen" is any of you doubt my nerd cred

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Jan 18, 2016

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Raluek posted:

Are you sure? The ones on the L31 are pretty prominent.

E: The tops of the lifter bores in the van's motor aren't machined flat, either. Weird.

My bad, retarded.

Gingerbread House Music fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Jan 18, 2016

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Ozmiander posted:

My bad, retarded.

Yeah, it looks like some of the TBI motors don't have roller provisions. I thought that all '86+ motors had 'em, but I guess not. Especially as late as '92, I would have expected them to have run out of old production non-roller blocks.

The motor in my car right now is a late 80s TBI block with the L31 roller stuff put onto it, and it's definitely different than that van motor.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde
Shamelessly stolen pic:

So yeah, definitely not set up for roller lifters. Interesting. Maybe it's not the original engine?

Not that it really matters, on account of how we're not using this turd and even if we did we'd stay flat tappet.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

literally a fish posted:

Shamelessly stolen pic:

So yeah, definitely not set up for roller lifters. Interesting. Maybe it's not the original engine?

Not that it really matters, on account of how we're not using this turd and even if we did we'd stay flat tappet.

Yeah. The casting numbers on the bellhousing flange would give a general idea, and the production numbers stamped onto the front passenger side cyl deck would tell you if it matches the van VIN.

It's purely academic at this point, though!

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
LQ9/4 at this point in time. gently caress that old turd.

I had the 6.0 in my Suburban, flat out will blow that old motor in every way, shape, and form. 300+ HP out of the box and it will make 400 with a few mods, there's no reason not too. Plus with the right exhaust, a 6.0 sounds downright loving mean.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Man this weekend was awesome. I'm glad Sharky made it back over for wrenching/drinking, he was a huge help and generally rad as gently caress.

We got a good bit of work done, probably 5 bolts are left holding the driveline to the van, so next time all that old junk will be outta there quick fast. Wes and Sharky have most of the interesting pictures and video, I'm sure one of them will be along shortly to provide visual delights.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Terrible Robot posted:

Man this weekend was awesome. I'm glad Sharky made it back over for wrenching/drinking, he was a huge help and generally rad as gently caress.

We got a good bit of work done, probably 5 bolts are left holding the driveline to the van, so next time all that old junk will be outta there quick fast. Wes and Sharky have most of the interesting pictures and video, I'm sure one of them will be along shortly to provide visual delights.

It was great hanging out. Good company, plenty of excitement, no injuries or broken bolts, I'd call that a great weekend.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Weekend Photo & Video Dump:

This was all the coolant that came out:

Seducing Cory:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3adAtm_iTc

Ghetto Winching:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUcwE001iyI

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

That mill coming out through the front, or the door?

If memory serves, you won't have enough space for the former, and the setup for one side or the other looks suspiciously lacking in hard surface for tiny cast wheels.

VVVV yeah, I saw he said that; still & all, better be prepared with Vaseline, beads to jiggle, harsh language, etc. VVV

(edit2): I am pulling for you, although my donate-able tape collection will likely not excite you young people

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Jan 18, 2016

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde

PainterofCrap posted:

If memory serves, you won't have enough space for the former, and the setup for one side or the other looks suspiciously lacking in hard surface for tiny cast wheels.

Comes right out the front, Wes reckons.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

PainterofCrap posted:

Out the front. Almost the entire front clip is just bolted on so it was about 45 minutes of work to get it all off and presto, tons of room to yank everything straight out through its mouth.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Through the front. Google-Fu says it'll come right out with the gearbox all easy-like, and I for sure believe that. May have to jack the front up a bit but it should be relatively straightforward.

Ninja edit: yeah what those guys said

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Power to you, gentlemen.

My only contribution is: get that loving hoist head kissing that block, you're going to need every sixteenth of an inch & you still may need some poor bastard back in party central hauling on the transmission yoke. If I could, I'd be there, since I'm in south Jersey and just a hop skip & a jump across the Cabin John away.

But as long as people keep driving through buildings and setting poo poo on fire I'm still work, work, work.

(edit) you mean: the bar/headlamp mounting face that the bumper assembly bolts onto also comes off? If so, vans have changed since I last wrenched on one...plus, Chrysler.

Also: this is an awesome international project.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Jan 18, 2016

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

PainterofCrap posted:

Power to you, gentlemen.

My only contribution is: get that loving hoist head kissing that block, you're going to need every sixteenth of an inch & you still may need some poor bastard back in party central hauling on the transmission yoke. If I could, I'd be there, since I'm in south Jersey and just a hop skip & a jump across the Cabin John away.

But as long as people keep driving through buildings and setting poo poo on fire I'm still work, work, work.

(edit) you mean: the bar/headlamp mounting face that the bumper assembly bolts onto also comes off? If so, vans have changed since I kast wrenched on one...plus, Chrysler.

This is the front fully stripped down. The bumper support is still there but it is so low as to not even be an issue. As you can see once all the accessories and intake have been removed (we pulled the intake after the pic) the block is actually quite compact, it should fit through that opening with tons of clearance all around.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

I am a worry wart. That does look like enough lift space.

I can't wait for the next stage!

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Naw you're fine. We definitely appreciate the discussion!

Next weekend iForge and I (and maybe AcidRonin if he quits being a buster) will be taking the engine and gearbox out. After that, I'm not exactly sure what we can do until we are able to get the donor engine.

There's been talk in IRC of tanneriting the old engine...

AcidRonin
Apr 2, 2012

iM A ROOKiE RiGHT NOW BUT i PROMiSE YOU EVERY SiNGLE FUCKiN BiTCH ASS ARTiST WHO TRiES TO SHADE ME i WiLL VERBALLY DiSMANTLE YOUR ASSHOLE

Adiabatic posted:

(and maybe AcidRonin if he quits being a buster)

It's me i'm the worst :commissar:

In my defense all the time I had to spent at work is now leave that can be used for vans and van-related purposes.

Now its LITERALLY Pursuant to Megans Law.

AcidRonin fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Jan 18, 2016

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Didn't manage to pull the LQ4/9 in Johnston due to weather and lack of a truck to haul it with.

Checked Sams on the way to work this morning and they have a lot of LM7s that have now been pillaged a bit (and their intakes left open to the weather... gently caress I hate people) but no 6.0s.

Hoping no one took the one at Johnston. Anyone down for a pull this week or next weekend?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

VikingSkull posted:

The Terran Trade Authority album art loving sells this 100%

e- That's the starliner "Galactic Queen" is any of you doubt my nerd cred

Holy gently caress that brought back some memories. I know I've read at least a couple of those, and possibly own one.
And yeah, that's the Galactic Queen (about 2 minutes in):
https://vimeo.com/29549708

Looks like Chevy actually designed that thing with a modicum of maintainability in mind.
One of the fun things about my wife's Astro van: they were unibody. The engine cam out of the bottom, along with the front subframe, so you just lifted the front of the van and rolled the front suspension and engine out.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

You just blew my mind, I always thought the Astro had a full S10 chassis underneath.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Darchangel posted:

Holy gently caress that brought back some memories. I know I've read at least a couple of those, and possibly own one.
And yeah, that's the Galactic Queen (about 2 minutes in):
https://vimeo.com/29549708

Looks like Chevy actually designed that thing with a modicum of maintainability in mind.
One of the fun things about my wife's Astro van: they were unibody. The engine cam out of the bottom, along with the front subframe, so you just lifted the front of the van and rolled the front suspension and engine out.

I always loved those books, they were peak 80's. Also the way the ships looked was fantastic, I thought, because it wraps back to painting them crazy as gently caress. We're in space, my sensors are advanced, and I'm engaging from kilometers away. gently caress it, bumblebee stripes.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer
The Astro vans were body-on-frame, but the engine and front suspension did come out on a subframe.

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009
So I haven't been on the forums much lately, but I saw this and just want to say that this is awesome. I wish I was able to come by and help out in some way.
I just did a quick CL search, and found this. I originally wasn't going to post it because it's far as gently caress away from WV, but it looks like its not far from the route Sharky posted earlier when he came down. Maybe an engine candidate if anyone's heading back that way with a trailer...this would have an LQ4 in it. Bonus, after the LQ4 is in the van, someone could slap a cheap JY 5.3 in it and have a beater SUV for like nothing

e: forgot link

https://newyork.craigslist.org/wch/cto/5401679921.html

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
That's probably around what an engine/trans/tcase w/ all the goodies will cost via me at my favorite yard if I manage to pull one. Within $100 anyways.

I'd say part the interior/body/suspension out, keep everything needed for the swap, and scrap the rest. Might get the total cost under 200 that way. It's probably the best way to guarantee you have *everything* needed for the swap.

Unless the coolant's leaking from somewhere awful because someone blew it up, that is.

e: and as a bonus you get to hear it run instead of hoping it didn't have a rod knock before someone rearended it and it went to the junkyard.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I wonder where it's leaking coolant from. If you played your cards right you could have an incredibly terrifying cross-country road trip in a rapidly self-disassembling halftruck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

kastein posted:

Didn't manage to pull the LQ4/9 in Johnston due to weather and lack of a truck to haul it with.

Checked Sams on the way to work this morning and they have a lot of LM7s that have now been pillaged a bit (and their intakes left open to the weather... gently caress I hate people) but no 6.0s.

Hoping no one took the one at Johnston. Anyone down for a pull this week or next weekend?

I'd be down for next weekend if the weather holds. My wife's got a concert in Brockton, so I'm free.

The Denali looks like a possibility, I drove through New Roach on the way down to DE. I came back via I-78, so no NYC.

Trip total: 1582 miles over 5 days, but Friday/Saturday were only from WV to RVA, and Sunday was very few miles (aside from the tow). Burned 3 tanks of fuel, but at sub-$2 pricing in VA, I'm not too bothered by the fuel cost. 15MPG towing the 8000# trailer+van, 18.5 on the trip average.

Fish: I'll pull together the expenses.

sharkytm fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Jan 19, 2016

• Locked thread