Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

carnassials posted:

Yeah, RTP and Charleston (family lives there and its nice) are going to be my first choices. It seems like all the Indeed postings for RTP are hidden behind hiring agencies or maybe I need to search each city individually.

And I am definitely interested in applying if you guys have any openings. Let me know how to keep touch with you. I'll be updating my resume this weekend or the next and I need to fatten up my LinkedIn profile.
start here: https://www.ncbiotech.org

Feel free to e-mail me with any questions and your resume when you have it updated @ offwidthcrack at gmail

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

john ashpool posted:

I'm thinking somewhere around Kendall, maybe 7pm on a work day.

I haven't been to Flat Top Johnny's in a while. 7PM on some blank Monday or Tuesday? Or do you guys get done earlier than that?

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008
My boss grabbed a "new" gallon jug of ethanol from the supply cabinet that was filled with water. :stonk:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

john ashpool posted:

I'm thinking somewhere around Kendall, maybe 7pm on a work day.

Sounds decent but I'd suggest not Meadhall because if it's even half full it's nearly impossible to hear the person next to you.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

carnassials posted:

Is "Operational Excellence" (OE) a common thing in this industry? This has been the most perplexing thing since we started transitioning to corporate.

One day a group of obviously corporate people came into our lab. I was running a 5kg silica gel column and one of the ladies asked me what I was doing. I explained that I was purifying a compound and thought "how cute." A couple days later it turns out they were auditing us for efficiency and we were at 20% efficiency. Apparently, hopping between a giant never stopping column and a 22l rotovap in another room and writing a report/emailing clients is highly inefficient because it requires too much walking.

We wanted to make upper management happy so we spent a day sweeping our samples and reagents under the rug. One of our chemists spent a whole day making labels for our drawers. The next tour they were ecstatic about our improvements. Efficiency improvements like this are going to save us 800k this year! :suicide:

Not sure if it's a big thing, but we had a different type efficiency project last year at my company. They made all the scientists log their activities in real time on ipod touches for a month (tracking if there were in meetings in building X, working in the lab X, working in lab y). Management apparently got a big report, and it resulted in a bunch of office moves to move scientists closer to the labs they actually worked in, move managers from lab adjacent rooms when they never worked in labs, etc.. I think it's factoring into some renovations/office space projects that are going on.

Sounds like our project makes more sense then yours though.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches
I don't know how I've only now discovered this thread.

I work for a small-ish SBIR company that specializes in technology for Department of Energy national labs for the last three years after defending and leaving grad school. I write 4-5 proposals a year and spend the other part of time working on extremely boring projects. I've gotten the feeling lately that this place is an SBIR mill as there is little to no interest in commercialization at all levels (including the DOE). But that also means there is no motivation to put much effort in to proposals because who cares, we'll get our checks do some work and in the end we'll write a report and move on the next project that is funded. Does anyone else here do SBIR contracts, is this normal?

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

gninjagnome posted:

Not sure if it's a big thing, but we had a different type efficiency project last year at my company. They made all the scientists log their activities in real time on ipod touches for a month (tracking if there were in meetings in building X, working in the lab X, working in lab y). Management apparently got a big report, and it resulted in a bunch of office moves to move scientists closer to the labs they actually worked in, move managers from lab adjacent rooms when they never worked in labs, etc.. I think it's factoring into some renovations/office space projects that are going on.

Sounds like our project makes more sense then yours though.

Never mind that the walk probably does more for productivity than the extra minutes spent working.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

MickeyFinn posted:

I don't know how I've only now discovered this thread.

I work for a small-ish SBIR company that specializes in technology for Department of Energy national labs for the last three years after defending and leaving grad school. I write 4-5 proposals a year and spend the other part of time working on extremely boring projects. I've gotten the feeling lately that this place is an SBIR mill as there is little to no interest in commercialization at all levels (including the DOE). But that also means there is no motivation to put much effort in to proposals because who cares, we'll get our checks do some work and in the end we'll write a report and move on the next project that is funded. Does anyone else here do SBIR contracts, is this normal?

Never applied for one yet, but when we talk about going for one the attitude seems similar.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I thought the "Operational Excellence" things were just an excuse to fire people?

Pay a consultant 200k to tell you to get rid of a 20k a year employee who is actually the one person who knows how the flange widget works. Efficiency!

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007

Epitope posted:

Never applied for one yet, but when we talk about going for one the attitude seems similar.

How many does you company do a year?

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Had a coworker have to google how to convert .96kg into g the other week. :suicide:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Johnny Truant posted:

Had a coworker have to google how to convert .96kg into g the other week. :suicide:

:chloe:

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

Johnny Truant posted:

My favourite is when my coworkers ask me "how much is 120 ng/µl in µg/ml?", especially considering that we are discussing clinical DNA-samples where the concentration is always tens or hundreds µg/ml so they should just be able to eyeball it. Bonus points if they follow up with "it's 12, right?".

kissekatt fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Jan 18, 2016

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

MickeyFinn posted:

How many does you company do a year?

I'm still in the blessed academy, but I think my advisor has put in for a couple.

To share a bit more, the ideas are things that are slightly more likely to be marketable than normal academic research, so we're all "let's start a small business then we can get another grant app out," but it's still business as usual.

Epitope fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Jan 18, 2016

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
First day of a week of 12hr graves is poo poo.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

carnassials posted:

Is "Operational Excellence" (OE) a common thing in this industry? This has been the most perplexing thing since we started transitioning to corporate.

One day a group of obviously corporate people came into our lab. I was running a 5kg silica gel column and one of the ladies asked me what I was doing. I explained that I was purifying a compound and thought "how cute." A couple days later it turns out they were auditing us for efficiency and we were at 20% efficiency. Apparently, hopping between a giant never stopping column and a 22l rotovap in another room and writing a report/emailing clients is highly inefficient because it requires too much walking.

We wanted to make upper management happy so we spent a day sweeping our samples and reagents under the rug. One of our chemists spent a whole day making labels for our drawers. The next tour they were ecstatic about our improvements. Efficiency improvements like this are going to save us 800k this year! :suicide:

Oh god, our lab is implementing this 5S crap and we get monthly inspections by their secret police. They enacted a no lab coats on the backs of chairs policy for every lab, along with no reagents at the bench, no items on the top shelf above the benches, have all the individual bench spaces barren and everything goes in the common area . The goal is to have everything look all neat and clean and tidy for the client auditors while making it less convenient for us analysts to actually do our jobs.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Time how long it takes you to gather supplies from the common area. Make a report about how much time you're wasting and send it to the 5S police. The goal of 5S is a clean, efficient workspace to maximize productivity. Not make nice for customers.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Right now there is a turtle resting inside a Bud Light box that is on top of a welding machine

checks out

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost
Anyone going to SLAS next week? Every vendor I've ever worked with wants to ply me with drinks and swag and I can't accept any of it because I make capex decisions now :v

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

DemeaninDemon posted:

Time how long it takes you to gather supplies from the common area. Make a report about how much time you're wasting and send it to the 5S police. The goal of 5S is a clean, efficient workspace to maximize productivity. Not make nice for customers.

Yeah, actual 5S is quite useful.

Appachai
Jul 6, 2011

DemeaninDemon posted:

The goal of 5S is a clean workspace.

As far as I can tell this the main concern of 5s people.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007

Epitope posted:

I'm still in the blessed academy, but I think my advisor has put in for a couple.

To share a bit more, the ideas are things that are slightly more likely to be marketable than normal academic research, so we're all "let's start a small business then we can get another grant app out," but it's still business as usual.

Ehh, you don't really need to be marketable as long as you can bullshit your way through a ~2 page commercialization plan. Also, good luck with the reviewers you can't respond to, half don't even read the proposal or write reviews like they haven't.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Appachai posted:

As far as I can tell this the main concern of 5s people.

Best I can tell, 5S is just an excuse to use many colors of electrical tape on the floor and walls.

No, Carlos! Staging area raw materials go in the RED AND GREEN CROSS-STRIPED box! Bad Carlos!

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Be happy they're not 6Sing you. Yeah lets slap safety in with efficiency so it gets buried under the push for productivity.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Seriously 5s is a joke to make middle management seem important and look good on paper and in press releases. My employer started Lean Mangement a month after I started in 13. The guy they hired knew absolutely nothing about actual work and didn't know anything but buzzwords and texting on his phone. Main thing he did? Spent about 10 grand (4 in materials the rest in wasted time) on loving boards to spread around our shop with the 5s check off sheet and a few notes. No one in our shop knew what it was supposed to be or meant to do. We were literally told to check off each day that we did the 5s, never telling us why or what we did. We finally fired him in May after he pretty much stopped doing anything at all for 3 months. We had a temp guy for another 6 months that seemed more intelligent but they let him go, to replace with a 3rd guy who is a lot better and much more liked. But all of them are overpaid and most lack any real knowledge of what we do. All we hear is buzzwords and possible solutions of stupid and over complicated crap.

Only good thing that has come from 5s is cleaning up 20 years of junk in various departments. That is what we are paying a guy almost 6 figures for. that and boards that are mostly covered in comics or drawn on by workers with cycle time. Or in my case broken because it kept getting hit by pallets going by.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
You can make huge savings with 5S but it's impossible by just having someone go around telling you to clean up. Captain buzzword the 5S champion doesn't help either. Everyone in the entire process must work at it.

A good example of 5S here is putting acid bottles and pipettes next to the ICP dilutions balance for quicker dilutions.

Edit: another less obvious one is the drawers of sample bottles under the two analytical balances but not the 2-place balances.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Jan 20, 2016

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

UCS Hellmaker posted:

Seriously 5s is a joke to make middle management seem important and look good on paper and in press releases. My employer started Lean Mangement a month after I started in 13. The guy they hired knew absolutely nothing about actual work and didn't know anything but buzzwords and texting on his phone. Main thing he did? Spent about 10 grand (4 in materials the rest in wasted time) on loving boards to spread around our shop with the 5s check off sheet and a few notes. No one in our shop knew what it was supposed to be or meant to do. We were literally told to check off each day that we did the 5s, never telling us why or what we did. We finally fired him in May after he pretty much stopped doing anything at all for 3 months. We had a temp guy for another 6 months that seemed more intelligent but they let him go, to replace with a 3rd guy who is a lot better and much more liked. But all of them are overpaid and most lack any real knowledge of what we do. All we hear is buzzwords and possible solutions of stupid and over complicated crap.

Only good thing that has come from 5s is cleaning up 20 years of junk in various departments. That is what we are paying a guy almost 6 figures for. that and boards that are mostly covered in comics or drawn on by workers with cycle time. Or in my case broken because it kept getting hit by pallets going by.

I find it quite useful, but I work in a giant factory so there you go.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Why is everything about the ASCP so bass-ackwards? :psyduck:

Phosphene
Aug 11, 2008
I'M NOT TRYING TO GET BIG AND BULKY OKAY WE ALL FAIL DIFFERENT GOALS

Solkanar512 posted:

I find it quite useful, but I work in a giant factory so there you go.

Yeah i do qa and it is super useful for the production crew and helps cut down on cross contamination. I recently got pulled from the lab to check out whats been completed from previous audits, some 7 months old. Nothing. Only things completed were related to trash/debris. 20 something 5s related items and 30 some routine maintenance issues and none of them done. Haven't even changed the light bulbs above the packers. It did get me out of the lab for a bit tho so whatever.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

So the lab manager (my boss), the 1st shift supervisor/foreman and the part-owner/lab tech all got laid off today.

Anybody want to be a lab manager for a dying, run-down chemical plant that doesn't care about its employees?

goatse.cx
Nov 21, 2013
Hey people, newly minted job-haver and first-time reader here..... Just wanna ask is it at all wise or common to go to grad school after working 5-6 years? Feels weird planning when to ditch the job when I've held it just a month.... But it doesn't pay that well. Is it hard to get into a good grad program without a lot of recommendations? Was too shy to ask for them....

Edit: i'm a microbiology lab tech for the qc dept of a bigpharma corp by the way.

goatse.cx fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Feb 5, 2016

OnceIWasAnOstrich
Jul 22, 2006

I know quite a few people in grad school who are starting after several-to-many years outside. I can't speak for whether it is a good long-term plan, but I know plenty of people with way less relevant experience than microbiology lab tech (assuming you are trying to do biology-related grad school and not like...aerospace engineering). I know people who have gotten into competitive biology programs after doing web dev and aerospace engineering work for 6+ years.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

goatse.cx posted:

Hey people, newly minted job-haver and first-time reader here..... Just wanna ask is it at all wise or common to go to grad school after working 5-6 years? Feels weird planning when to ditch the job when I've held it just a month.... But it doesn't pay that well. Is it hard to get into a good grad program without a lot of recommendations? Was too shy to ask for them....

Edit: i'm a microbiology lab tech for the qc dept of a bigpharma corp by the way.

Honestly when I get my own lab I'd prefer to hire people who have worked after undergrad and came back to school.

As for recommendations, find the person you want to work for / who is doing what you want to do, then reach out to them. With your work experience, they'll be interested if they have room. This will be your best advocate at getting into the school.

But, if you're ditching your current job because of low pay, you're committing yourself to ~6 years of low pay and even more than that if you postdoc. Only just this year has my postdoc salary matched what I was being paid as a technician in 2004.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

That Works posted:

when I get my own lab

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

So far its looking good.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I'm just bitter because I used to think like that and it didn't work out!

Phosphene
Aug 11, 2008
I'M NOT TRYING TO GET BIG AND BULKY OKAY WE ALL FAIL DIFFERENT GOALS
I broke our particle analyzer today while trying to replace the tubes that have become almost clogged with waste. There's a wire that runs to the lid that is connected to a sensor that detects whether the lid is open or not. Broke the chip connected to the sensor while removing the cover. Couple thousand dollar machine rendered useless because the machine thinks he lid is forever up. Waiting on the vendor to reply.

I'm the only one in the lab with a degree and my boss thinks i'm an idiot.

Phosphene fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Feb 6, 2016

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

e: im dumb

Nissin Cup Nudist fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Feb 6, 2016

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

You can probably just jump two of the wires together to have it think the door is always closed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Scientastic posted:

I'm just bitter because I used to think like that and it didn't work out!

:smith:

I'm sorry to hear that. I still expect that things can go wrong here but have a few places showing interest where I have very strong personal contacts / advocates. Fingers crossed all the same.