Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The game has significant amounts of necessary group content to progress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

So the short of it is: Yes you can play alone but, especially if you are DPS, dungeon queue times are horrid below max level and pubbies are at the lower levels seems to be a 50/50 mix of "dude that knows his poo poo leveling up a second class" and people who are *the* most retarded human beings I've encountered online.

You dont want to play alone and if you don't know anyone playing IRL you most definitely want to be in one of the goon groups.

I'm saying this as someone who has been playing the game for 6 days.

Luminous Cow
Nov 2, 2007

Well you know there should be no law
on people that want to smoke a little dope.
Well you know it's good for your head
And it relax your body don't you know.

:420:
Since it's a new page, I'll ask once more: if I'm restarting on the game, should I just reroll on Excalibur or transfer over my old character and try to relearn this drat game?

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E

Luminous Cow posted:

Since it's a new page, I'll ask once more: if I'm restarting on the game, should I just reroll on Excalibur or transfer over my old character and try to relearn this drat game?

Transfer. The game is easy enough for babbies to get to max level who don't even know how 1/5th of their abilities work. If you have a functional brain it should be very easy to pick back up.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Doesn't matter, somehow, someway, get onto Excalibur unless you're planning to play with Eurogoons or something.

If you haven't touched that character in a significant period of time, sure, reroll.

If you've made progress on it recently, maybe transfer.

Luminous Cow
Nov 2, 2007

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Doesn't matter, somehow, someway, get onto Excalibur unless you're planning to play with Eurogoons or something.

If you haven't touched that character in a significant period of time, sure, reroll.

If you've made progress on it recently, maybe transfer.

I haven't played since launch.

Moo Moo Canoe
Mar 11, 2007

Drunk postin' ftw

Luminous Cow posted:

The decision is based purely on how much you think the progress on your other character is worth. If you want to "learn the game again" you're fine just starting new job on an existing character.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Luminous Cow posted:

Then go ahead and reroll, it wouldn't come as a surprise to me if this would be like coming into the game completely new. Find some other goon to recruit into the game so you can both get an XP boosting headgear item to help you speed through the first 15 levels on any class.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

Transfer so you can skip the grueling Titan story questline. Relearning the game will be easy and if you have any questions ask goons in fc chat. It'll come back and most of the pre-lv42 stuff is My First MMO tutorial stuff.

SonicRules: Once you do your lv15 class quest you'll get a ranged attack. Use this to aggro one enemy in a group and pick them off. Eventually when you can go to the other City States you can become a Conjurer for a few levels and learn Protect which will help your durability in solo content. Once you hit lv30 you can get your chocobo mount to fight with you and you can train it to become a healer (you'll also lose being able to cross class protect here when you go Ninja but the stat gains and new moves are worth it). Keep your left side gear up to date, especially your weapon as weapon damage is the king of stats in FF14.

There'll always be some stuff you can't solo (Fate Super Bosses) but a healer chocobo helps a lot once it learns Chococure.

Moo Moo Canoe
Mar 11, 2007

Drunk postin' ftw

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Then go ahead and reroll, it wouldn't come as a surprise to me if this would be like coming into the game completely new. Find some other goon to recruit into the game so you can both get an XP boosting headgear item to help you speed through the first 15 levels on any class.

He'd be rerolling not buying a new account, also starting any job at 1 would be sufficient.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Scrublord Prime posted:

Keep your left side gear up to date, especially your weapon as weapon damage is the king of stats in FF14.

There'll always be some stuff you can't solo (Fate Super Bosses) but a healer chocobo helps a lot once it learns Chococure.

Noted. Should I be purchasing weapons? I've just been upgrading as they come to me in the story missions/guild quests.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Moo Moo Canoe posted:

He'd be rerolling not buying a new account, also starting any job at 1 would be sufficient.

Both recruiter and recruitee get the head item.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Moo Moo Canoe posted:

Or just queue up for the lowest level dungeon and work your way up relearning how to play the class.

Moo Moo Canoe
Mar 11, 2007

Drunk postin' ftw

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Both recruiter and recruitee get the head item.

Oh sorry, I misread.

Kibner posted:

Or just queue up for the lowest level dungeon and work your way up relearning how to play the class.

Exactly, I don't think it'd take any more than one dungeon run before he'd not only remember how to play but relearn his hatred for pugs.

Luminous Cow
Nov 2, 2007

Moo Moo Canoe posted:

Oh sorry, I misread.

Exactly, I don't think it'd take any more than one dungeon run before he'd not only remember how to play but relearn his hatred for pugs.

Pugs made me quit last time. God drat, people, don't stand on the fire.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
Or, since the way classes play constantly change as you get new abilities straight until level 60, just start where you left off and don't worry about it.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

SonicRulez posted:

Noted. Should I be purchasing weapons? I've just been upgrading as they come to me in the story missions/guild quests.

The class jobs (up to lv30) give weapons so I wouldn't worry about buying weapons from vendors. Ideally you'll get one from a dungeon which are better than vendor equivalents. Job quests (lv30 on) don't give weapons and you'll have to buy them. Check the market board for weapons and make sure that you look at their HQ stats (afaik you need to see one being sold to see it). For Rogue/Ninja there should be good daggers around lv35 that you can buy that'll last for a good while. You can buy HQ weapons from the market board pre-30 too if you want to pack some extra punch.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Scrublord Prime posted:

Job quests (lv30 on) don't give weapons and you'll have to buy them. Check the market board for weapons and make sure that you look at their HQ stats (afaik you need to see one being sold to see it).

Don't forget GC weapons when levelling alt classes!

KicksYouInHalf
Aug 6, 2007

National tragedy.
So I'm level 18 now on my wee spellcaster and approaching the level cap for free trial shitlords. I think I'm probably gonna make the plunge next week and sub and wake up super early one day and roll on Excalibur. I was wondering though, is there much value in taking the base mage class to a high level or is time better spent working towards unlocking black mage?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

KicksYouInHalf posted:

I was wondering though, is there much value in taking the base mage class to a high level or is time better spent working towards unlocking black mage?

The level carries over. You slap the BLM soulstone on your level 33 THM and you're a level 33 BLM, for example.

That said, once you hit 30 unlock the job ASAP.

KicksYouInHalf
Aug 6, 2007

National tragedy.

kirbysuperstar posted:

The level carries over. You slap the BLM soulstone on your level 33 THM and you're a level 33 BLM, for example.

That said, once you hit 30 unlock the job ASAP.

Neat, does it work in reverse too? Like does a level 60 BLM automatically count as a level 60 THM? Or does BLM replace THM entirely? I'm sure all this is explained when it is relevant but I'm impatient.

LunarShadow
Aug 15, 2013

KicksYouInHalf posted:

Neat, does it work in reverse too? Like does a level 60 BLM automatically count as a level 60 THM? Or does BLM replace THM entirely? I'm sure all this is explained when it is relevant but I'm impatient.

Yes, but there is no reason other than shits and giggles to ever take off your job stone.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

To elaborate, equipping your job stone gives you better stats and gives you access to several job-only skills as you go from 30-60. Get to 30, level up ARC to 15, do the quest, put your job stone in your gear set, and never worry about it ever again.

vOv fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jan 16, 2016

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

To be stupidly blunt about it, you never level up your job. BLMs still gain experience as a Thaumaturge, WHMs as Conjurers, etc. That's why levelling Arcanist as either SCH or SMN essentially gives you a free leveled job.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

I've just discovered the only title I could ever want: Punch Rockgroin, The Meat Axe! Problem is, you get it from running 50 high level dungeons. Does that count all the current content too, or just things that were current back then? Is that still obtainable? I'm only level 40 right now so it would be cool if I could get the best title in the game without having to solo old stuff 50 times.

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

A Moose posted:

I've just discovered the only title I could ever want: Punch Rockgroin, The Meat Axe! Problem is, you get it from running 50 high level dungeons. Does that count all the current content too, or just things that were current back then? Is that still obtainable? I'm only level 40 right now so it would be cool if I could get the best title in the game without having to solo old stuff 50 times.

It's not dungeons, but it does include the level 50 stuff that counted and also includes the new 60 stuff. You want any Extreme primal, any Coil, any Alexander, or I think Frontlines counts.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

SonicRulez posted:

My thought process has always been that if I need friends for the game to be fun, it's not worth picking up. I've been wrong tons of times in life. If it sucks, I'll make the hop.

I seem to remember you saying this is your first MMO (unless that was another recent goon) so I will not laugh and make fun of you. MMOs are pretty much defined by the social experiences that you have, even nowadays when it is possible to solo and without exception every MMO that you play will be better with other cool people with whom you can play. I was in the same situation as you - I rolled on another server because I wanted to jump in and not wait for Excalibur to be open. The entire experience is different. Just throwing that out there, because seeing if you like the game is a valid concern but you are not really getting the whole picture with tells turned off and whatever other trial limitations you have in addition to not having a group that you can be a part of.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

A Moose posted:

The content that applies towards the tank mounts/titles is all 8 man raid content (except Turn 3), and all Ex primals. So you can either run a whole bunch of Coil once you hit 50, or wait till 60 and run Alexander normal mode for them.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
To the goon who wants to solo, I was you once. This is the first mmo I've ever played I enjoyed dungeoning with people, goons and pugs. Goons are a lot more fun though. Getting on Excalibur is simply a matter of waiting to off peak times, it's no biggie.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Did eurogoons ever move off excalibur though? I mean, I get good enough ping to excal from eastern europe that it doesn't matter on titex.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Created a new character on Excalibur a few days ago, I'd transfer my main from another server but unfortunately I can't due to friends who don't want to leave it but at least it'll be a lot faster this time.

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007
You loving assholes convinced me to buy this god drat game on PS4.

Installing it now...

How do you communicate with each other? Do I need to hook a keyboard up to my PS4?

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Avalanche posted:

You loving assholes convinced me to buy this god drat game on PS4.

Installing it now...

How do you communicate with each other? Do I need to hook a keyboard up to my PS4?

You'll need a keyboard, yeah. Decent Bluetooth ones don't run much more than twenty bucks, though.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
And while I'm preparing to resub, are Lancers still seen as a chump class? I've always liked straight DPS.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Do the story quests have an overarching plot this early on? I'll grant that I'm not giving the cutscenes without voice acting my full attention, but I don't know that this all means anything. I was working at Summerford and this one dude apparently was dealing with some shady people. They made me fight a golem. I guess they're working with Sahagin which I recognize as the fish guys from other FFs. But now I'm by the docks protecting this super ship. They don't seem to really relate to each other much beyond building my name as a cool dude around Noscea. Is that the point? I'm just contrasting it to the Rogue's Guild quests which all seem to flow together in one way or another.

Also, I've come across quite a few hooded robe things that don't allow you to equip helmets. Are they ever worth giving up helmets?

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Lancers/Dragoons were never genuinely a chump class, it just gets a reputation because alot of bad newbies flock to it; as long as you're halfway competent the worst you'll get is some playful ribbing

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Oxxidation posted:

And while I'm preparing to resub, are Lancers still seen as a chump class? I've always liked straight DPS.

DRG and SMN may be the poster children of this expansion.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
DRG is the class most likely to get you killed playing it correctly. This combined with it being enticing to small children makes it lol drg. Thankfully Ninja came out and though they might not get themselves killed as much they're usually played far worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Dragoon owns. Its far and away my favorite DPS class.

We ended up with some dragoon/monk tanking action on T11 earlier today. That was a lot of fun.

• Locked thread