Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

spoon0042 posted:

And I've forgotten why she got vamped in the first place. Was it some dumb "here's how you can be with your son" thing?

Yeah, she could stay with her son in the hotel and be the nanny for all the kids. Because when she tried to take her son out of the hotel he ate the family dog and pretty much proved himself unfit for society.

Edit: if she just tried to live in the hotel without being a vampire one of the kids would probably eat her or one of the ghosts would kill her. In the unlikely event that she she didn't get murdered she'd eventually get old and be unable to care for Holden anymore.

Facebook Aunt fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Jan 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

timp posted:

So I guess Angela Basset's character didn't get killed by The Countess like we all assumed so uuuh what the gently caress was that scene all about?!

If you're not joking please cite your source.

It appears that it will be set in a Hospital and the Summer Camp was all rumor

Bummer because I think that setting works better with Scream Queens than AHS.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
That was the last episode?

I thought it was the second to last.

Also March's grand plan for detective guy was to murder a bunch of thugs for vampire food and then get gunned down on the street? Not quite the big thinker I expected.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Blazing Ownager posted:

That was the last episode?

I thought it was the second to last.

Also March's grand plan for detective guy was to murder a bunch of thugs for vampire food and then get gunned down on the street? Not quite the big thinker I expected.

I think his plan was just to get John to finish his "great work" that he started but couldn't finish himself with the whole Ten Commandments thing. And possibly to get him to kill the Countess so she would be stuck with March for all eternity. I doubt he cared about what happened to the guy once all that was complete - which it was by the time he got killed.

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

A connoisseur of fine junk
I feel like I'm in the minority for really enjoying this season.

Anything is good after the shitstorm that was Coven and Freakshow.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

That drat Satyr posted:

I feel like I'm in the minority for really enjoying this season.

Nah, it was a good series of American Horror Story. It's not great art or anything, but for an atmospheric bit of genre TV it was pretty good.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
I liked everything that had nothing to do with the Ten Commandments Killer and Mrs. You're A Vampire Now. That whole family was a boring time suck.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

The stain fighting ghostmaid was wonderful.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

She was so happy with the little things, like the concept of a washer and dryer or a bagless vacuum.

Reivur
Nov 9, 2013
I really liked when Maid admitted to calling the cops. It was legit twisty to me and made total sense once it was approached. Countess's excuse of "I would have just killed you" was like "Oh. Oh, yeah, she probably would have. Not very subtle." was the perfect excuse/reason for her being innocent of the crime. Especially when you factor she killed Drake in the drat Hotel like a derp.

haunted bear tale
May 14, 2013
This was my favorite moment:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFPBRWOB4H4

I enjoyed the show as well, but I still think the plot was monstrously stupid

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
This show was retarded to the max camp riddled with awful acting and dialogue (PAR FOR THE COURSE!!) but it will always have claim to one of the absolute best soundtracks that has ever been on tv

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
I think the problem with the later series (Coven onwards) is the focus on spectacle instead of story. It's like Murphy has picked on people responding positively to things like McShane's Santa, The Name Game, Crysturbation or Taste's Twisted Nerve and created a series of interesting scenes that are connected by flimsy spaghetti thread narratives instead of creating a narrative and letting the crazy scenes develop naturally from the context.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Come to me .... and live forever.
My issue is when they try to bring it back around to how they want to end the season, because it isn't a success for the plot or the spectacle. By all means, give us aliens fighting nazi created zombies at the beck and call of the devil. Don't (Asylum spoilers) decide the devil takes a single floor drop, the zombies get killed by the nazi (who then kills himself,) and the aliens just show up for funsies, just so you can frame the reporter tricking her demon spawn in a repeat of how she dominated his daddy.

Give us serial killer John keeping his murders a secret vs. his vampire wife driving him mad to keep her demon nanny job a secret, leading to an inevitable blowup. Don't have them calmly decide they should give it another go because they both made some mistakes. Give us the revelation that John met Sally years ago and actually set the events in motion by returning to the hotel, causing an obsession, from which she vows to kill him. Don't decide she gives up and becomes addicted to twitter because she's inexplicably under the thumb of some random rape demon you never bothered to actually explain.

The endgame just isn't worth it. The family full of awful people who did awful things to each other actually stayed together? Whoopie. Give me a fight at least, drama is what fuels this show's ancient virus. I'm really hoping season 6 has an unhappy ending for once, just so 11/12 episodes of horrible behavior don't have to grind to a halt to force happiness.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
the writers neglected to address guhgah's tumor baby, and that's fortuitous,

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

OmegaBR posted:

aliens fighting nazi created zombies at the beck and call of the devil.

I'm glad Asylum got the ending it did rather than this weird action movie thing. :wtc:

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Loved this season. It's the only one I actually made it all the way through!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpz2AWu4PZg

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Lol this ending and season sucked hard. No one is going to look back fondly on this turd

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!

Last Chance posted:

Lol this ending and season sucked hard. No one is going to look back fondly on this turd

What are your feelings on Freakshow & Coven?

I quite enjoyed this season. The only downside for me was Detective Psycho.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Andrew_1985 posted:

What are your feelings on Freakshow & Coven?

I quite enjoyed this season. The only downside for me was Detective Psycho.

Both of those seasons were bad too for different reasons. They did both start off well though, which I can't even say for Hotel.

Hotel lost its focus and immediately went into ADD-mode from the first couple of episodes, and yeah the detective guy sucked.

Are you all being honest with yourselves? Who's ready for a Hotel rewatch? Do you think you could do it?

Angular Landbury
Oct 24, 2011

MAGGLE.
I liked the implication that in 2026, Charles Manson is still alive.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Last Chance posted:

Are you all being honest with yourselves? Who's ready for a Hotel rewatch? Do you think you could do it?

Yep. It was clunky, but unlike Coven it was coherent and even managed to tie everything together in ways that made sense even if theh were often flimsy or just dumb. Unlike Freakshow it wasn't so boring that I stopped halfway through and finished it a year later.

I was also pleasantly surprised by Gaga (good, but not good enough to warrant that Globe win over Dunst) and as much as I miss Lange it was refreshing to have a season where she wasn't stealing all the screen time as whatever version 5.0 of Constance would have ended up being.

Honestly I think the worst part of this season was the same as the worst part (of many) from last season: Lily Rabe isn't a regular any more.

e: well, that and what's been plaguing the show since Coven, having the show be all about the monsters rather than what happens when they gently caress with normal people. Any supernatural main character in seasons one and two were either a twist, were throwaway for an episode or so, or showed up later/at the very least were not central to the plot

esperterra fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jan 18, 2016

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I honestly didn't miss Lange at all. I think the degree to which they focused on her last season made me fine with not seeing her again for a long while.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Chairman Capone posted:

I honestly didn't miss Lange at all. I think the degree to which they focused on her last season made me fine with not seeing her again for a long while.

Pretty much, yeah. I miss her because she's great, but it was a relief to let other people chew the scenery with a bit more breathing room. And Gaga was a fine addition/replacement with far less screen time than I was initially concerned she might have. It was really only Countess heavy in the back half, aside from her obligatory sex scenes.

RugClockVexx
Aug 15, 2008

Chairman Capone posted:

I totally expected to Lange to do a cameo as Constance in the finale. I figured she'd pick up Bartholomew for a team up with her anti-christ babe. Ha I didn't miss her at all.
Hotel was more coherent than Coven and only slightly more watchable than Freak Show. I really don't know what I was expecting after last season but it seemed like Freak Show spun its wheels more.

Good things: Liz Taylor, no singing, great location, Evan Peters was so fun, Hotline Bling

Bad Things: Everything Detective's wyfe, wasting Bassett's Blaxploitation Vamp, vamps in general, Liz Taylors instant romance, and the worst, no stakes deaths. Who died? Just bring em back as either a ghost or a vamp.

I like the ghost rules Murphy has set up in AHS. I'd like to see him play with that more. Something like the ghosts think the rules are set but somehow they change. What happens when/if they bulldoze the hotel? Can ghost achieve the afterlife? We've thus far only have seen unreliable narrators as far as that goes. Im not sure that finding your purpose as a ghost means mindlessly killing people.

usb teledildonics
Oct 10, 2009

those who came before me

Angular Landbury posted:

I liked the implication that in 2026, Charles Manson is still alive.

Would Manson even get an invitation?

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
The ghost rules of AHS are literally whatever is convenient to the plot (in this season at least) and that they can roam free on Devils Night.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

usb teledildonics posted:

Would Manson even get an invitation?

I think Gacy or another serial killer asked about him and Evan Peters said he was still alive and couldn't attend the dinner.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

RugClockVexx posted:

Im not sure that finding your purpose as a ghost means mindlessly killing people.

Didn't they cover that in the last episode with all the ghosts finding other purposes (i.e., fashion design, blogging, loving)?

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Dienes posted:

Didn't they cover that in the last episode with all the ghosts finding other purposes (i.e., fashion design, blogging, loving)?

Yeah it's like a puberty thing where the ghosts go through an initial phase of hating the world and realizing they can kill without consequences. Eventually they find their way and near 100% become instagram attention whores.

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

RugClockVexx posted:

Bad Things: snip and the worst, no stakes deaths. Who died? Just bring em back as either a ghost or a vamp.

We've had this since Coven, and I don't equate stakes-free deaths with Murder House because death was integral to the plot.

In Coven it doesn't really seem to matter how you die when you've got someone that can raise the dead (bar that retarded "trapped in Hell" conceit), Freakshow didn't even remotely threaten the lives of anyone interesting until the spree kill at the end, and Hotel? Persisting as a ghost made a great joke with that first Will Drake appearance but otherwise there was no real suspense there.

I'm entertained by this show but there's no need to be concerned for characters you've become invested in, and that's one aspect that makes this kind of a hollow watch.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
What happened to Finn Wittrock v2?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

SalTheBard posted:

What happened to Finn Wittrock v2?

Killed by the Countess after declaring his love for Liz, reappears for tearful reunion after her death.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

haveblue posted:

Killed by the Countess after declaring his love for Liz, reappears for tearful reunion after her death.

I think he meant the ORIGNIAL Finn Whitrock, who would actually be v1 chronologically, but he was introduced to us 2nd so I guess that's how he's v2. Anywho I believe the answer to that is that Donovan killed him in a motel that was not Hotel Cortez so he dead fuh good.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

timp posted:

I think he meant the ORIGNIAL Finn Whitrock, who would actually be v1 chronologically, but he was introduced to us 2nd so I guess that's how he's v2. Anywho I believe the answer to that is that Donovan killed him in a motel that was not Hotel Cortez so he dead fuh good.

Ya I guess my question wasn't phrased the best. What happened to the Finn Wittrock who was imprisoned inside the hotel by Marsh and then was let free? The one who was the old timey actor.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

SalTheBard posted:

Ya I guess my question wasn't phrased the best. What happened to the Finn Wittrock who was imprisoned inside the hotel by Marsh and then was let free? The one who was the old timey actor.

I believe the answer to that is that Donovan killed him in a motel that was not Hotel Cortez so he dead fuh good.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
But Alexandra Daddario and Punk Rawk Dandy were both killed in the Cortez and didn't come back because ummmm well you see.....

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Kimmalah posted:

I'm glad Asylum got the ending it did rather than this weird action movie thing. :wtc:

Do not setup Aliens vs Satan and not deliver. Only problem I had with Aslyum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

TheBizzness posted:

But Alexandra Daddario and Punk Rawk Dandy were both killed in the Cortez and didn't come back because ummmm well you see.....

He showed up at the end to be with Liz.

• Locked thread