Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Slowhanded posted:

Yep, the UHD BD specs allow (in addition to a wider color gamut and the resolution bump) for an alternative to Gamma for luminance data, called SMPTE ST 2084. Gamma curves were based off CRT limitations decades ago and are quite outdated with regards to today's displays. The new spec has an ample headroom for future-proofing (10k nits) and uses an algorithm to avoid banding at any level of brightness while keeping the data 12-bit.

Using the 'HDR' function on a current TV is akin to putting a picture through faux-HDR processing. The result is almost always going to be garbage. Gracefully extending dynamic range from existing content is fighting physics.

Jesus Christ, 10k nits. I have sensitive eyes, I already worry about being blinded by stuff like the 4k nit TV that Sony was demonstrating at CES.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I heard when they did the original Dolby Vision demos at last years' CES they actually dialed max brightness down from what the system is capable of [4000 nits] after people complained.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Rastor posted:

It turns out that "4K" itself is kind of dead as a format, the thing that is going to get the advertising and content push is the combination of 4K + HDR + HDMI 2.0 + HDCP 2.2. If the 4K set you are looking at doesn't have HDR and HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2, don't bother with it. In the future there will be a "UHD Premium" sticker you can look out for -- for most people it's best to save up for a set with that sticker in the future.

Is there a 4k TV from a major manufacturer that doesn't contain HDCP 2.2 or even HDMI 2.0?

Even the LG EG9600 has Hdmi 2.0, (but not 2.0a).

Why would you advocate saving for a TV that can decode HDR?

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

sellouts posted:

Is there a 4k TV from a major manufacturer that doesn't contain HDCP 2.2 or even HDMI 2.0?

Even the LG EG9600 has Hdmi 2.0, (but not 2.0a).

Why would you advocate saving for a TV that can decode HDR?
Because of what I said: the "next generation" of content isn't just 4K resolution, it's the combination of 4K resolution and HDR. And also bigger color space.

Every single UHD Blu-Ray that has been announced has 4K resolution, HDR encoding, and the larger color space. And the video streaming providers are adding HDR encoding as well; Amazon is streaming HDR encoded video and Sony introduced a HDR video service as well.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Right. But is HDR noticeable? I contend it's really not, combined with the obvious issues of 2k intermediate processes that have been explained at length in this thread, waiting for either technology is silly. Buy a TV now if you need a TV now. Waiting for the next set of standards is a fool's errand.

I mean you cite the Amazon HDR. Have you seen it? It's loving terrible and not worth waiting around for.

Put another way: I think it's far better advice to wait for OLED prices to drop to a person's acceptable level vs waiting for a TV that has the standards you list. It's more noticeable and the spergs that care about it are likely looking at TVs that already have it.

sellouts fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jan 15, 2016

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh

sellouts posted:

Right. But is HDR noticeable? I contend it's really not

Say what? Have you even seen a dolby vision demo in person? Yes it is very noticeable and personally I'm more excited by it than by 4k. Unlike 4k, you can clearly see the difference from across the room.

I'm not saying that it should be a requirement when buying a TV now, it'll be quite a long time before that content is commonplace.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

sellouts posted:

Right. But is HDR noticeable? I contend it's really not, combined with the obvious issues of 2k intermediate processes that have been explained at length in this thread, waiting for either technology is silly. Buy a TV now if you need a TV now. Waiting for the next set of standards is a fool's errand.

I mean you cite the Amazon HDR. Have you seen it? It's loving terrible and not worth waiting around for.

Put another way: I think it's far better advice to wait for OLED prices to drop to a person's acceptable level vs waiting for a TV that has the standards you list. It's more noticeable and the spergs that care about it are likely looking at TVs that already have it.

I don't think anybody is saying don't buy a TV now if you need a TV now.

What I said is don't pay a premium to get 4K if you're not also getting the other features you will need to enjoy the content that's coming down the pipe. I stand by that advice.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

We're getting the point now where [LG OLEDs excepted] pretty much every decent tv over 40" is 4k anyway so it's not really worth harping on. The whole point of the UltraHD Premium badge is to create a new, more expensive class of TVs since the margin on "normal" ones is basically zero, kind of like the old THX badge [which Sony also decided to never bother with].

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
6K USD for a 65" OLED? Tempting for my home but I think I will just stick with rebadged VIZO and get a LeTv for a sixth of the price. There probably is going to be quality differences but I think 4K hasn't hit mass market yet.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
6k is like a pretty solid start on a home theater room, not what you spend on just a tv. (Yes I know they can also be super expensive)

Elysium fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Jan 16, 2016

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

n.. posted:

Say what? Have you even seen a dolby vision demo in person? Yes it is very noticeable and personally I'm more excited by it than by 4k. Unlike 4k, you can clearly see the difference from across the room.

I'm not saying that it should be a requirement when buying a TV now, it'll be quite a long time before that content is commonplace.

Have you seen Dolby vision? It's certified on a handful of sets, almost all of which are not available in the wild. And not all studios are onboard for Dolby vision for the home. That and Dolby Atmos are really, really far away.

If you're talking HDR and not full Dolby vision, yeah, the demos can look great. Have you seen the content Amazon is rolling out at HDR? It's little to no difference. I'm erring on it having a nice but smaller affect than true blacks and no bloom offered by oled. I don't think it's critical but if it is Samsung allowed the hu8550 to be updated to read HDR metadata via its oneconnect box.

But life of pi is a hell of a demo and those HDR / ultra hd movie packs sure look good.

qirex posted:

We're getting the point now where [LG OLEDs excepted] pretty much every decent tv over 40" is 4k anyway so it's not really worth harping on. The whole point of the UltraHD Premium badge is to create a new, more expensive class of TVs since the margin on "normal" ones is basically zero, kind of like the old THX badge [which Sony also decided to never bother with].

Bingo!

caberham posted:

6K USD for a 65" OLED? Tempting for my home but I think I will just stick with rebadged VIZO and get a LeTv for a sixth of the price. There probably is going to be quality differences but I think 4K hasn't hit mass market yet.

It's 4200 from an authorized internet dealer. If you're looking at that lg oled because it's 4K you're missing the point, no offense. There's a lot more going on there than just resolution.

sellouts fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jan 16, 2016

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac

sellouts posted:

That and Dolby Atmos are really, really far away.

Uh... what? I've had Atmos in my den since late 2014. I just watched Fury Road last night.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Slowhanded posted:

Uh... what? I've had Atmos in my den since late 2014. I just watched Fury Road last night.

I have Atmos at home as well, but come on, the selection is poo poo. We only have a little over two dozen titles and for every Fury Road and John Wick, there's 2 Transformers: AoE or Jupiter Ascending.

That and the fact that Atmos is still virtually nonexistent in theaters and now we have DTS:X competing with it.

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac
I mean it's always going to be poo poo selection - it's a niche of a niche. Doesn't mean it's not a thing you can put into your room today. The post was implying that he was waiting for it to be mass market, which it never will.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

sellouts posted:

It's 4200 from an authorized internet dealer. If you're looking at that lg oled because it's 4K you're missing the point, no offense. There's a lot more going on there than just resolution.

I have been skimming the thread and seems like OLED has better picture quality and it's preferable than generic 4k. Unfortunately I don't live in the US so I have limited options in procurement.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Slowhanded posted:

The 4K LG is literally the best consumer 65" display you can buy and the current model is completely compliant with forthcoming UHD BDs. That said, the jump to 4K is relatively minor compared to the differences you get with just OLED itself. If the premium is okay on your wallet, by all means go ahead, but you could do a lot of other (very fun) things with two or three grand (e.g., upgrading front speakers, Atmos/DTS-X setup, blow).

Coolnezzz posted:

It is! I live in a studio apartment with no garage or lockable outdoor storage and also happen to have a lot of tools so I have no where else to put the thing. The picture basically shows a third of my entire apartment with the front third taken up by my bed/dresser and the middle third for my desk/workspace. It does have a full kitchen and bathroom so I don't complain and it's inexpensive for the area.

Oh, I am most definitely going for a 55, I can't afford a TV for as much as the 65s are, especially one that will burn out eventually and have hosed up colors. I'm probably gonna pull the trigger on the 1080p 55" because that extra grand could go toward a nice new PC, since I need to update that too. Or, you know, go into the rent pool. Or booze. Or all of the above.

Either way, the 55" 1080p seems like a solid bet for now, maybe down the line when UHD becomes more prevalent I'll regret the decision, but by thenI'll probably have the cash to get a better TV and/or this one will have probablystarted having hosed up colors or whatever.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
I guess I'll ask in here.

Can somebody recommend me a decent wall mount for a 43" that can doesn't sag and can easily be rotated to portrait? I bought one from Amazon with a ball joint but it's garbage. The ball got stuck and the TV leans forward like it's going to fall off.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jan 17, 2016

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
Monoprice's stands get generally very good reviews; I'd start there - unlike me, check your stud distance first to make sure it's compatible.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Anyone know if LG or Samsung TVs support Plex?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Fuzz posted:

Anyone know if LG or Samsung TVs support Plex?

Plex's website says Samsung Smart TV's, Vizio Smart TV's and Smart TV's that use Opera TV support Plex.

https://plex.tv/downloads

Pitwar
Jul 19, 2008

Who's your mate?!
I recently purchased a Sony BRAVIA KD43X8309CBU TV and have had a bit of trouble finding details of the best display settings to use.

Can any help or point me in the right direction?

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh

sellouts posted:

Have you seen Dolby vision?

Yes. I work at a film studio and they visited us about a year ago to give the whole song and dance and show a demo. It's very good.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

What panel did they use?

Stumiester
Dec 3, 2004

"Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."
Am I wrong in thinking that in a contest between LG 4K 65 inch va LG OLED 55 inch for the same price, the 65 is a better choice?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Stumiester posted:

Am I wrong in thinking that in a contest between LG 4K 65 inch va LG OLED 55 inch for the same price, the 65 is a better choice?

Depends. Most people prefer OLED to LCD, even despite a lower res screen, especially since we won't have mass 4K content for a while.

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac
Does 10 inches along the diagonal matter to you over contrast and color reproduction? Are you planning to buy a UHD Bluray player this year alongside a good chunk of the UHD releases? If you said yes to either of those two, pick up the 65". If not, I'd go with the OLED in a heartbeat.

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh

sellouts posted:

What panel did they use?

It was on a vizio LCD. They weren't allowed to tell us at the time because it hadn't been announced yet but it was obvious from the shape and OSD menus.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
A lot of people complain about "blur" on the Vizio M Series. What would be a good few things to pop on a thumb drive and check out how I feel in store? Sports would be a great thing to test I imagine.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Good Will Hrunting posted:

A lot of people complain about "blur" on the Vizio M Series. What would be a good few things to pop on a thumb drive and check out how I feel in store? Sports would be a great thing to test I imagine.

Hockey

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Most of the high end tvs will let you turn off the synthetic motion blur crap.
My Sony even has a "football" mode which I assume helps, but I've just set mine to game mode and never touched it. Looks fine for games/sportsball/movies.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

veedubfreak posted:

Most of the high end tvs will let you turn off the synthetic motion blur crap.
My Sony even has a "football" mode which I assume helps, but I've just set mine to game mode and never touched it. Looks fine for games/sportsball/movies.

Football mode is nice! It turns on the motion interpolation and brightens the screen. Just be sure to turn it off after the game.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Endless Mike posted:

Football mode is nice! It turns on the motion interpolation and brightens the screen. Just be sure to turn it off after the game.

Yeah I definitely use football mode for sports. It's definitely wonky looking if you forget to turn it off though. Also it messes with the sound in a way I'm not super stoked on (makes crowd noise louder and announcers quieter for some reason).

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Does anyone have experience with the Samsung One Connect boxes? I am looking at the JS9000 and JS8500 televisions. Do the boxes have a way to attach or hang off the tv? I will likely be wall mounting the tv, and possibly having all the other AV equipment in a closet that is at or further than the 7 foot cord range of the Connect cable.

Also, I see that the JS9000 requires the Connect Box (although both need the box to use HDMI), and some reviews note that since the processor is in the connect box, it gives some options for upgrades in the future. Is that really an possible option?

Where can I check to see if the tv will pass 5.1 audio from HDMI through to the optical output?

Finally, I don't have any experience with curved screens. How do the look when hung on the wall? I don't mean the picture, but how does the tv physically look with the curve projecting into the room slightly? This tv will be going in the basement in a very wide room, where there will be foot traffic between the tv and the couch. Is there any significant increase in risk of people catching the edge of the tv? Or are the curves typically not very significant in increasing how far away from the wall they sit?

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
The one connect seems to be a real problem for integrated systems. They don't sell different cord lengths and there's no way to extend them. I have a bunch of One Connect Minis on the 7000 series, and I double-sided velcro them to the back of the TV. They barely fit. The full size box will not fit at all, so you'd end up needing an AV shelf below the TV somewhere. That kinda sucks.

I wouldn't expect ANY upgrade potential given they won't even produce different length cords.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
If my budget is around $800 can I do better than this?

Samsung-UN50JS7000-50-Inch-Ultra-Smart

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-UN50J...f4a7b61afa7717d

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
I'm going to pull the trigger on a 60" Samsung JU7100. Great reviews on RTINGs and it's $1500 which is right around my price point. A bit much honestly, because I'm going to get an OLED whenever I move next, but, anyone suggest otherwise?

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

50-55", don't care about 4k, don't game, will be mostly streaming from either a kodi system or netflix/amazon.

Is Vizio E series still my best bet if 600ish is my budget?(I'd be thrilled to spend less though)

I see Costco has this Samsung UN55J620DAFXZA discounted down to 549 it turns out so basically the same price as the 55" E-series. Samsung's site is way lighter on specs though unless I'm really dense, so I'm having trouble figuring out if they're really comparable.

Ed; clarity.

the yeti fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Jan 30, 2016

Jewce
Mar 11, 2008
Are there still super bowl sales? Gonna get a Samsung un65js8500 and it's 2k right now which is the lowest I've seen it. Just don't know if it's worth waiting for any sale.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
How does HDR compare to film capture and projection, are we talking similar or more latitude? How does this work since digital capture never came close to film range?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Anyone have any experience with LG OLED TVs? I'm looking at http://www.lg.com/ca_en/tvs/lg-55EG9200-4k-oled-tv

LG's OLED TVs have pretty good reviews, although I couldn't find a lot online for reviews of this particular set. The OLED models that I was able to look at in person (not those ones) looked pretty unbelievable

terrorist ambulance fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Jan 30, 2016