Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Adjectivist Philosophy
Oct 6, 2003

When you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you.
Oh boy! Monitor and desk chat! I didn't think this thread would ever get so tedious as the days of a good corvette fisher breakdown, but you guys did it! Off to a great 2016!

On a more technical note, the objectives for the exchange mcse look like a bitch, but the study material I've been going through hasn't been bad at all. Anyone here take these tests and what did you think of the difficulty?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
One of the political threads had a big derail about the difference between nerds and geeks. We could talk about that instead!

RyuHimora
Feb 22, 2009

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

are there any excellent 2k 16:10 120+hz around?

This is from last page two pages ago now, but I need to point out that this is a physical impossibility because it would require too much bandwidth down a single video cable. DisplayPort only has enough bandwidth for 1080p 120hz, and most of those monitors start dropping frames if there's a lot of pixels changing. The 5k iMac gets away with that much bandwidth because it uses Embedded DisplayPort which just so happens to have enough. You could try to find a monitor meeting your specifications that uses dual-HDMI, but that has enough issues to give an enthusiast gamer several stress-induced heart attacks.

RyuHimora fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jan 15, 2016

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

vibur posted:

Desk talk: I've never before wished I was a sociopath but here it is. Oh but to have a desk that clean for more than 10 minutes due to "I'll put that away later"

I thought it was normal to have poo poo stacked 5 feet tall on your desk until I transitioned from corporate IT/helldesk to operations. That was the moment I could clear away all of the broken equipment, ancient manuals and install CD's, sticky notes requesting urgent assistance while I was away for 2 seconds instead of opening a ticket (:commissar:), etc. and just have the poo poo I wanted on my desk.

Dark Helmut posted:

Recruiter hell.

Jesus, your calendar :stonklol:

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Dark Helmut posted:

Recruiter hell.

I'm sure that Easy button would go through a goddamn window if I were in that cubicle.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Erwin posted:

Everyone here has 4 24" monitors. I'm not sure I could ever go back to a measly two.
:smug::hf::smug:
I use one of my vertices primarily for Spotify. Generally my layout is: Spotify -> Putty -> VMWare -> Chrome

I really could use another for Pidgin/Skype/Facebook chat.

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up

Che Delilas posted:

I'm sure that Easy button would go through a goddamn window if I were in that cubicle.

We only hit that thing whenever we close a difficult deal, so that easy button is well respected as it is reserved for hard-earned $$$

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

I do not see an easy button in the picture.

Ninja edit: oh there it is

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

CloFan posted:

I do not see an easy button in the picture.

Ninja edit: oh there it is

That was easy

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Hey DickTrauma whatever happened with the last psychopath building manager you were working with?

Dick hasn't posted in any of the IT threads (or honestly much at all) for over a month. Are you OK buddy?

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Dark Helmut posted:

We only hit that thing whenever we close a difficult deal, so that easy button is well respected as it is reserved for hard-earned $$$

Ah, that makes more sense. We have a bell for that where I work.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
I passed the MCSA 70-410 exam today!
I have to say, that it is a pretty tough exam. Managed to score 842.
On to 411!

Sefal fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Jan 15, 2016

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Congrats! Those tests are not easy.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
nice work! :toot:

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Someone asked about working at a resort....

My subordinate has to go fix a point-of-sales system at one of our lodges on the mountain. Since we're covered in snow, the easiest way to get there is the ski lift.

He brought his skis with him so when he's done, he gets to take a run on the slopes.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps

Sefal posted:

On to 411!

I failed this twice. It was truly cuntish. Difficult to study for.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Bringing this up from earlier in the thread, Clam Down, I think you're a furriner :fsmug: so I will excuse the lack of English knowledge, but you actually meant stationery. Stationary means not moving. Stationery means papers, writing implements, office supplies, etc.

:goonsay:

Edit: English, where the words are made up and the spellings don't matter.

SyNack Sassimov fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jan 15, 2016

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I have since scolded my autocorrect, ty mate

Zaepho
Oct 31, 2013

Sefal posted:

On to 411!

I have also bombed 411. It seems to include the largest number of questions about crap nobody uses.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Do MS tests still do "here's a screenshot of a settings dialog. What tab is x option on?"

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Thanks Ants posted:

Do MS tests still do "here's a screenshot of a settings dialog. What tab is x option on?"

Yes. Very little practical anything still in 2016.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Sickening posted:

Yes. Very little practical anything still in 2016.

This kind of thing is why I think a lot of people use braindumps, and although I don't myself, I see the appeal - why bother spending time memorizing where specific options are on the screen when in your actual job you'll never need that option and when you do it's two seconds of clicking around, or Google if you need to. How often is there a Jack Bauer type situation where the extra few seconds it takes to click the tab and read the options to see if the one you want is there are critical? Don't get me wrong, if you don't know where to go to change an IP etc. that's a problem, but testing people on the inner nooks and crannies of the OS (which change slightly every revision) is such a waste of time.

Cisco's simlets are so much more useful for actually testing knowledge of the system that it makes the Microsoft tests look silly. If Microsoft really wanted to test ability, they'd have a simlet that required using some obscure settings in obscure tabs, and have the simlet be aggressively timed - either you're good enough at figuring things out quickly to make the changes, or you did in fact memorize all the settings. Either way, just like in real life, you either get it done in a sensible amount of time or you're bad at the test (and therefore job).

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Potato Alley posted:

Cisco's simlets are so much more useful for actually testing knowledge of the system that it makes the Microsoft tests look silly. If Microsoft really wanted to test ability, they'd have a simlet that required using some obscure settings in obscure tabs, and have the simlet be aggressively timed - either you're good enough at figuring things out quickly to make the changes, or you did in fact memorize all the settings. Either way, just like in real life, you either get it done in a sensible amount of time or you're bad at the test (and therefore job).

This is why I'll never even bother with a windows cert. I'm like 50/50 network admin and windows admin in my current position. The CCNA was a no brainer for me but I'll never even bother with a Microsoft cert. Even the VCP I'm studying for seems to be much more reasonable and simlet based on reality, not memorizing menu options.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I did the Hyper-V MCSA when it was on a free promo and the transcript you get at the end shows your performance in each area of the exam, arranged chronologically. After the 40 minute mark there was pretty much a linear decay of scores from each section as I got bored.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Power's out, happy Friday!

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

CLAM DOWN posted:

Power's out, happy Friday!

:cheers:

edit: wrong thread

ChubbyThePhat fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jan 15, 2016

Swink
Apr 18, 2006

Thanks Ants posted:

Yeah and if it was poo poo you used every day, you might know it, but it's always some random setting you seldom use or would use once like authorising DHCP or some poo poo.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

quote:

Network Architect

Divisions: DEPARTMENT OF INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY
Description

Salary Range: $74,800.00 - $124,600.00

Position Expires : January 27, 2016

The ideal Network Architect candidate has experience in the public sector; would will be able to roadmap, research, and implement advanced network technologies from start to finish. Working with our deployment and/or implementation team, the architect would help integrate system designs into the current production network. The architect will be leading projects in addition to upgrades/fixes of current environment. Must be well rounded with full exposure and experience to the entire traffic pattern network. Routing, Switching, Security, VoIP, Wireless.

The network architect will have strong architecture experience with data centers. The individual must be a team player with excellent verbal, written and presentation skills. The individual must be reliable and able to convert business requirements into a workable network plan that can be incorporated into the overall infrastructure.

Responsibilities

Analyze business requirements to develop technical network solutions and their framework.
Perform network modelling, analysis, and planning.
Develop technology roadmaps.
Write functional requirements/specifications documents.
Oversees the installation process or may occasionally participate in it
Tests the system to ensure it is working as anticipated
Makes modifications to existing systems based upon new equipment or changes in technology
Troubleshoots problems in order to identify their source and quickly resolve them
Plans for the security of a given network
Recommends different types of hardware and software to be used with the network they design
Performs research in order to identify new equipment and applications that would be compatible with a given network
Modifies plans as needed in order to stay within the budget established by the company
Reviews documentation updates and shares with support teams as required.
Highly Desired Skills:

Cisco CCIE RS, CCIE Data Center, CCIE VoIP, or CCAr preferred
Collaboration - Cisco CallManager, Unity Connections, Cisco CME a plus)
Data Center Route/Switch - Nexus, ASR and Cisco CLIENT
Contact Center - Cisco UCCE
Security - Cisco ASA, Checkpoint, VPN

Qualifications

6+ years of experience in Networking Engineering
2+ Most recent years in an Architecting role
Bachelor's degree in computer science or related field is preferred. Equivalent work experience can be substituted for educational requirements.
Ideal candidate will have a strong networking background with a focus on Cisco hardware.
Experience configuring and maintaining Routers and Switches.
Experience configuring and maintaining wireless APs and controllers.
Experience with Cisco IOS, F5 a plus.
Experience with configuring and maintaining Firewalls, IPS/IDS, and monitoring tools.
Familiar with VoIP Technologies - (Collaboration - Cisco Call Manager, Unity Connections, Cisco CME a plus)
Familiar with SAN/NAS technologies
(Familiar with Virtual Server Technologies (VMware)
Familiar with TACACS+/Radius and AAA
Familiar with Mobile Device Management (MDM) Servers
Individual must possess and be able to demonstrate a sound working knowledge of configuring and supporting core networking devices leveraging the following common protocols: TCP/IP, DNS, DHCP, VPNs, STP, VLANs, ACLs, BGP, OSPF, EIGRP, QoS, DMVPN, VRF, BGP, and MPLS (TDM & Ethernet hand-offs). Layer 2 & Layer 3 switching.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

l feel like that salary range is a bit low for someone with a CCIE or CCAr.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

No poo poo.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Well it's a city government job.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

GreenNight posted:

No poo poo.

The funny thing is I could probably do that job, and the salary would be great for me. But they'd never hire me. :argh:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Someone from HR just pasted the highest Cisco certs they could find in there. Why the gently caress would you hire a CCIE and have them doing random VMware/SAN work, or running your goddam MDM. I guess maybe you would if that's all you were planning to pay them.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Thanks Ants posted:

Someone from HR just pasted the highest Cisco certs they could find in there. Why the gently caress would you hire a CCIE and have them doing random VMware/SAN work, or running your goddam MDM. I guess maybe you would if that's all you were planning to pay them.

I'm having a hard time imagining why a city would need a CCIE on staff at all; much less a CCAr. It's not like they're going to be deploying a new datacenter every other month.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The job listing that the hiring manager first put out no doubt looks a lot different to that one.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Colonial Air Force posted:

Someone asked about working at a resort....

My subordinate has to go fix a point-of-sales system at one of our lodges on the mountain. Since we're covered in snow, the easiest way to get there is the ski lift.

He brought his skis with him so when he's done, he gets to take a run on the slopes.

I used to work for a WISP that operated in rural Colorado. The "field ops" guys who had to go install and fix poo poo on towers in remote locations had the coolest loving stories. For example, they had use of a Sno Cat to get at a couple truly ridiculous tower sites way the hell up on top of 14,000 ft mountains (random Google photo, not mine):

If they had to make that run, they'd rock/paper/scissors for who had to drive down and who got to snowboard miles of virgin backcountry bowls.

They'd also get threatened at gunpoint semi-frequently when Rancher Joe confused the guys he explicitly granted access to his property for random crooks :bahgawd: So it wasn't all glamorous. But getting paid to drive around gorgeous country and view it from hundreds-to-thousands of feet up on a tower always seemed pretty cool to me. Sadly I'm a typical IT goon who can barely swing a hammer without killing himself so that was not going to be a good fit :v: Those guys tend to have some combo of construction, electrician, and military or emergency response training.

They did take a photo of me on top of our tower on a skyscraper in downtown Denver. Need to find that drat thing. I've used too many photo services over the years.

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Jan 16, 2016

May 14, 2003

BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY FRUITCAKE!

KillHour posted:

l feel like that salary range is a bit low for someone with a CCIE or CCAr.

Government jobs you do for the pension not the pay. In fact the salary range is probably based on years of government service and has nothing to do with actual experience.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
I want to drive that thing so bad

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

I have seen this posted in at least 3 threads now and I read it every time and I laugh at it every time.