Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheFattestPat
Dec 28, 2012

Santa Cat Says: Good deeds are the things to always do, just make sure someone is watching you
You don't need to be scared of animal antics

The wind goes in a set pattern, about five seconds left then about five seconds to the right. It never changes either, so as long as you keep that in mind it's not too bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

TheFattestPat posted:

You don't need to be scared of animal antics

The wind goes in a set pattern, about five seconds left then about five seconds to the right. It never changes either, so as long as you keep that in mind it's not too bad.
It really helps if you're not constantly flapping. The best thing to do is to take it slow. Discovering that made it easier, though you'll still die a few times.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
anyone who can beat bopopolis so easily doesn't need to worry about animal antics. i believe

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

That looked terrible. I mean, it looked beautiful, but I'd hate to have to play it. Considering I left because of an earlier Rocketbarrel level and never came back to Returns, having to deal with bad controls for that long would definitely make me stop playing forever.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

At least you only have to do one of the rocket barrels. If you really don't like rocket barrel levels and you're playing through, I highly recommend buying the key from Cranky and going for Mole Patrol instead of Creepy Cavern because that bat is a lot more stressful than the moles.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
You know, for saying neither of you guys care about the puzzle pieces in Returns and TF, you seem to be going out of your way to get them a lot of the time. Not a criticism, just an observation.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013

Blaze Dragon posted:

That looked terrible. I mean, it looked beautiful, but I'd hate to have to play it. Considering I left because of an earlier Rocketbarrel level and never came back to Returns, having to deal with bad controls for that long would definitely make me stop playing forever.
There's nothing wrong with controls, come on.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Vookatos posted:

But wrist-flicking (or "waggling," if you want to sound like a tool) takes so much effort man!

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Vookatos posted:

The rocketbarrel has awful controls. It's very imprecise, and it's really easy to oversteer and end up crashing against something. It stands out badly against the much better platformer segments. And the slightest of mistakes means death, because for some reason Retro thought it'd be fun to give you a single hit for the worst segments of the game.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

KieranWalker posted:

You know, for saying neither of you guys care about the puzzle pieces in Returns and TF, you seem to be going out of your way to get them a lot of the time. Not a criticism, just an observation.

See, that's one video game design choice that Retro has done which is absolutely loving devious.

Most people who play games are used to the base level of game design, where they are funneled to try new things. Anybody who has watched Egoraptor's video on MMX knows what that means, where it drags you along in a natural progression without explicitly telling you "hey, go here."

Then there were games that hid collectibles in places that were unintuitive to their own gameplay design. The game frames you at the left side of the screen, with interesting things and bananas to the right of you, but the actual hidden thing you want is to the left. It rewards players who explore by giving them extra goodies. Kirby 64 especially did this a lot, with lots of 1UPs, Stars, and health-up items hiding just beside your starting position in a way that the game isn't immediately making obvious you should explore.

Retore has subverted that now. See, what they've done is make a 100% completion rating for each level using the KONG letters, like DKC did, and the puzzle pieces. The difference is that, unlike DKC games, most of these puzzle pieces are actually in areas that are outright natural for most people to find, as long as they're conditioned to finding the hidden collectibles which were "hidden" by not being in places that people were conditioned to look for things. So, collecting whole strings of bananas, going backwards from the start point, jumping down pits, these are all examples of how Retro hooks you in with the obvious secrets.

And then they give you that "4/5 Puzzle Pieces" tally at the end. They've actually hidden puzzle pieces in places even more obtuse, or more obvious, than you'd even consider. So you replay a level to do the same thing and collect them all, because you were only one piece away, right?

So as you naturally play the games, they litter just enough puzzle pieces to tap on that Skinner Box part of your loving brain where "collect all things" = "good stuff" and dangle one just out of your reach. The intent is to practically force a certain kind of person into 100% the game, but even if you aren't that spergy, the natural impulse to do certain bonus games or hunt out certain secrets still exists for the player. So they'll always find some, no matter how little they care.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

tldr: it's fun to grab a good chunk of the puzzle pieces, even if you don't want to 100% the game.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

death .cab for qt posted:

See, that's one video game design choice that Retro has done which is absolutely loving devious.

Most people who play games are used to the base level of game design, where they are funneled to try new things. Anybody who has watched Egoraptor's video on MMX knows what that means, where it drags you along in a natural progression without explicitly telling you "hey, go here."

Then there were games that hid collectibles in places that were unintuitive to their own gameplay design. The game frames you at the left side of the screen, with interesting things and bananas to the right of you, but the actual hidden thing you want is to the left. It rewards players who explore by giving them extra goodies. Kirby 64 especially did this a lot, with lots of 1UPs, Stars, and health-up items hiding just beside your starting position in a way that the game isn't immediately making obvious you should explore.

Retore has subverted that now. See, what they've done is make a 100% completion rating for each level using the KONG letters, like DKC did, and the puzzle pieces. The difference is that, unlike DKC games, most of these puzzle pieces are actually in areas that are outright natural for most people to find, as long as they're conditioned to finding the hidden collectibles which were "hidden" by not being in places that people were conditioned to look for things. So, collecting whole strings of bananas, going backwards from the start point, jumping down pits, these are all examples of how Retro hooks you in with the obvious secrets.

And then they give you that "4/5 Puzzle Pieces" tally at the end. They've actually hidden puzzle pieces in places even more obtuse, or more obvious, than you'd even consider. So you replay a level to do the same thing and collect them all, because you were only one piece away, right?

So as you naturally play the games, they litter just enough puzzle pieces to tap on that Skinner Box part of your loving brain where "collect all things" = "good stuff" and dangle one just out of your reach. The intent is to practically force a certain kind of person into 100% the game, but even if you aren't that spergy, the natural impulse to do certain bonus games or hunt out certain secrets still exists for the player. So they'll always find some, no matter how little they care.

As someone who 100+%'d the original DKC trilogy on every playthrough, it was VERY easy to fall back into the habit when I got back into the series with Tropical Freeze. I am the kind of player that this strategy was intended for.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

So I actually like most of the bosses from these games. Largely because they're all pretty unique and none of them are particularly hard. The second game is a lot better about them compared to the first though. Off the top of my head I only dislike one boss and the reason is that it's really just a re-skin.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Thank goodness, I thought I was the only one that liked World 4 the best.

It's interesting, too, that there's barely any mine carting in DKC1, counter to my memories of the game. Two relatively quick levels and that's it, I think that's less time in the vehicle levels than any of the other games.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I assumed the puzzle pieces were necessary for 100% completion, so I got them in every level when I played DKC Returns. Turns out, they're just there so you can get art.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
What is it about a static number next to your file that makes you go "I NEED TO MAKE THAT SAY 100, NO MATTER THE COST" whereas ACTUAL unlockable content (even just artwork) does nothing for you?

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Hedrigall posted:

What is it about a static number next to your file that makes you go "I NEED TO MAKE THAT SAY 100, NO MATTER THE COST" whereas ACTUAL unlockable content (even just artwork) does nothing for you?

Is this a general question or are you specifically asking about the LP? Because 100% does entail extra content. If I wasn't doing 100%, we wouldn't be doing all the K levels, see the Lost World in DKC2, or anything along those lines.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I was asking the guy above me.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Hedrigall posted:

i just want my parents to love me

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

Looper posted:

Seek not the love of others without first obtaining the love of oneself.

Get that 100% for you, and to hell with what those other people think. Because you're worth it, dammit.

This Public Service Announcement was brought to you by KongKorp. Kong-quering the world in the name of our lord and master since 1981.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Sea Breeze Cove, Part 2 :siren:

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
The conch shells don't run out in the boss fight because if you look, they don't detach. When one comes loose, it spawns from "behind" the one that's stuck to the wall. :ms:

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
:rolldice:
Crap.
I don't know if watching you facetank your way through the K level with the Dixie barrels was funny or sad. Probably the latter.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Looper posted:

What that guy said, plus gaming logic is weird

Also, Squawks makes the puzzle piece hunt a little easier.

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jan 18, 2016

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
:rolldice:
Crap.
Also, when you just ran past that DK barrel and activated the Cranky barrel you had in reserve instead, I died a little inside. Good job.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Blastinus posted:

Also, when you just ran past that DK barrel and activated the Cranky barrel you had in reserve instead, I died a little inside. Good job.

It happens automatically, I literally didn't have a chance to get the Cranky barrel on the ground.

Forer
Jan 18, 2010

"How do I get rid of these nasty roaches?!"

Easy, just burn your house down.
I don't work at retro so I can't say I was there but I imagine the thing for the relic level went exactly like this.

"Ok, so we got this dumb puzzle level that jim rolled out sure whatever mix it up a bit ok it's blocked out and slated out? Got it perfect ok let's start doing our QA tests"
*Watches 12 year olds play games for 4 hours*
"oh god there's like ten people who made it to the end of the level but because of the amount of time it takes for you to go from the left side of the screen to the barrel that killed them and just frustrated them horribly for good reason. How can we fix this? Do we make a bunch of air bubbles or fill the room with the air stuff so they can't drown? No that would be a jarring weird thing that people wouldn't like and would kinda let them down. Ok, gently caress it, just make it so that if they would die on this screen from oxygen loss they don't. This is a free no death zone. This is the end of the level, this is supposed to be a happy place, we're already playing the fanfare just do this and the player will panic and rush to the end and never notice, they'll just think 'man that was so close my oxygen didn't even show!'. Ok problem solved now to playtest and oh hey it would have triggered on these 5 kids but it didn't and they all thought that it was CLOSE not at the end wow I'm not going to tell them that they should have died there I'm just going to reaffirm man that was close."

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

I set fire to the rain watched it pour as I touched your face
Juicy Jungle is what I call my junk.

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008
I think that they might just make you invincible in the end barrel rooms.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i maintain that these water levels would be good and fun if only donkey kong hadn't forgotten how to breathe underwater

also i like how the boss renders himself (mostly) invincible just by facing a different direction

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Looper posted:

i maintain that these water levels would be good and fun if only donkey kong hadn't forgotten how to breathe underwater
They don't look all that bad to me in terms of level layout, but the air mechanic is stupid, especially considering that it didn't exist in the original DKC games or DK64. Are the swimming controls good, at least? I think the boss fight would have been a lot better with no air meter. It seems like it went a lot quicker than the other fights in this game so far.

I don't know if Retro did this intentionally, but the cylinder hitting the spikes in the KONG letter level reminds me of an old-style music box. I wouldn't be surprised if it was, since they're really good at creating game environments.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

Y-Hat posted:

They don't look all that bad to me in terms of level layout, but the air mechanic is stupid, especially considering that it didn't exist in the original DKC games or DK64. Are the swimming controls good, at least?

Remember how DKC had those incredibly precise turn on a dime and operate on a solid line of movement sort of controls? Yeah, no. Any sort of underwater turns have to be done at a wide angle, and god help you if you missed a K letter during a segment where stuff's collapsing around you.

Also, to weigh in a little on the whole giant spike traps and such from that one level, remember what I said before about the Snowmads building these forts out of their own ships, and those "No Ties Allowed" signs that keep popping up. They knew DK would try to stop them once they invaded, so they started setting up bases pretty much solely to stop him.

Anyway, next level has a couple of my favorite stages in the game!

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Y-Hat posted:

They don't look all that bad to me in terms of level layout, but the air mechanic is stupid, especially considering that it didn't exist in the original DKC games or DK64. Are the swimming controls good, at least? I think the boss fight would have been a lot better with no air meter. It seems like it went a lot quicker than the other fights in this game so far.

I don't know if Retro did this intentionally, but the cylinder hitting the spikes in the KONG letter level reminds me of an old-style music box. I wouldn't be surprised if it was, since they're really good at creating game environments.

they're like a heavier version of rayman legends' underwater controls, aka the only platforming game to have good water levels

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Krazy Kremland :siren:

Bonus - Lost World 2

Artix fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jan 20, 2016

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008
Something minor about the Krazy Kremland video is that your commentary is about a 1/2 second early. It mostly doesn't matter just mentioning it so you can look out for it in the future.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Yeah there were some weird audio issues with this one, I figured out that I was a bit ahead when I was doing the lost world part so I fixed it then. Too much trouble to go back and resync everyone around a tiny adjustment for the main video.

On a related note however, I figured out what happened to the Lost World audio so that'll be back up soon.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

It's back for anyone who wanted to watch.

Lost World 2

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I am the bone of my barrel
Wood is my body and gunpowder is my blood
I have created over a thousand barrels
Unknown to Zingers, Nor known to Balloons
Have withstood the Lost World to create many weapons
Yet, those hands will never hold any bananas
So as I kongquer, Unlimited Barrel Works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Those roller coaster cars are clearly primate skulls (as fits the theme)

• Locked thread