Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Nute Gunray superficially resembles a stock Yellow Peril villain, an avaricious, conniving, and apparently civilized invader in command of an immense army of unflinchingly loyal, tirelessly diligent, and identical drones. The film's protagonists are content to treat him as nothing more than that, which brings them to an unsatisfying ending where they don't even notice that the true villain got everything he wanted and threw himself a parade. These telepaths fail to notice that the viceroy is terrified about being in over his head (most of his private scenes are about him getting cold feet and being reminded that if he backs out now he's in incredibly deep poo poo), and it takes them over a decade to discover that he was a patsy who really just wanted to pay less taxes and got taken for a ride by a Sith Lord who convinced him he could cut it as a bully.

The point is that their invasion was a manufactured crisis. The Chinese aren't taking over America; that's a belief that serves only to benefit those who would exploit racial strife for their own ends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Bongo Bill posted:

Nute Gunray superficially resembles a stock Yellow Peril villain, an avaricious, conniving, and apparently civilized invader in command of an immense army of unflinchingly loyal, tirelessly diligent, and identical drones. The film's protagonists are content to treat him as nothing more than that, which brings them to an unsatisfying ending where they don't even notice that the true villain got everything he wanted and threw himself a parade. These telepaths fail to notice that the viceroy is terrified about being in over his head (most of his private scenes are about him getting cold feet and being reminded that if he backs out now he's in incredibly deep poo poo), and it takes them over a decade to discover that he was a patsy who really just wanted to pay less taxes and got taken for a ride by a Sith Lord who convinced him he could cut it as a bully.

The point is that their invasion was a manufactured crisis. The Chinese aren't taking over America; that's a belief that serves only to benefit those who would exploit racial strife for their own ends.

Actually a cigar is just a cigar and a poo poo rushed movie by a hack turkeyneck idiot is just a poo poo rushed movie by a hack turkeyneck idiot, OP

Tezzor fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Jan 16, 2016

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Tezzor posted:

Actually a cigar is just a cigar and a poo poo rushed movie by a hack turkeyneck idiot is just a poo poo rushed movie by a turkeyneck idiot, OP

Okay, your words have convinced me.

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Bongo Bill posted:

Okay, your words have convinced me.

Congrats on having the last shadow of human decency, OP

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Tezzor posted:

Actually a cigar is just a cigar and a poo poo rushed movie by a hack turkeyneck idiot is just a poo poo rushed movie by a turkeyneck idiot, OP
I am surprised to hear this opinion about Return of the Jedi, can you explain

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

did someone say turkeyneck!!???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHlWwjLTau0&t=330s

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Nessus posted:

What? Who is the turkey neck in this scenario? Richard Marquand?

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Nessus posted:

Can you explain why instead of defending the Star Wars prequels you don't sell your soul to Satan for the same cost and a better return on investment

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Tezzor posted:

Can you explain why instead of defending the Star Wars prequels you don't sell your soul to Satan for the same cost and a better return on investment
Is prequel hate, like, actually your religion, is that what you're getting across here

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
No that's basically Tezzor on any subject

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Nessus posted:

Is prequel hate, like, actually your religion, is that what you're getting across here

How ashamed is everyone you know

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tezzor posted:

:dawkins101:

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Tezzor posted:

Didn't they spend like 6 years making it?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Tezzor posted:

this is a really boring opinion

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Martman posted:

Careful, you'll trigger him.

I would assert that every Star Wars movie is pretty OK. We are lucky to have seven Star War movies and a pretty good cartoon show.

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Martman posted:

It's so dense

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mechafunkzilla posted:

this is a really boring opinion

That's Tezzor's MO, man. Gotta appreciate how consistently boring his posts are.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I love it. TPM has really grown on me, way more than the other two prequels.

Attack of the Clones is the one that grew on me the most in my rewatch last year, with it's techno-colored pulp detective story, a better Princess of Mars sequence than John Carter, and Dooku with his Saturday morning cartoon crew.

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

That's Tezzor's MO, man. Gotta appreciate how consistently boring his posts are.

Hey guys. You know those poo poo films for idiots who should be castrated? Well check it: they're defensible *is really interesting, smart and worthy of attention* *is upstaged at freakshow by six year old who eats household vermin*

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Canon Star Wars characters notable for having constructed enormous statues of themselves:

-Maz Kanata, in The Force Awakens.

-Emperor Sheev Palpatine, in Return Of The Jedi: Special Edition.

-Yogurt, in Spaceballs.

I suppose we may have gotten ahead of ourselves because while the assertion is that Maz is the worst character in Star Wars, the response has been to list character traits and (in effect) prove that Maz is a character. And, you know, of course she is. She's a variation on The Oracle from The Matrix. The question is whether she's a good character.

As usual, the question goes back to what the Force is. So in the originals, you have this idea that the Force is horse-poo poo. It actually is just tricks and magic like Han said, but it is nonetheless like the feather in Dumbo or the Wizard's gifts in Oz: the Force allows you to achieve things so long as you believe the fiction.

The scandal of the midichlorians is that, in an ironic sort of way, they prove the Force is not a fiction. Certain people actually have mutant powers that allow them to move rocks "God is real, and he's an American." That sort of thing.

So what's up with Maz? On the one hand, she's saying some dumb stuff about "eyes being windows to the soul", when she's actually just figuring the characters out by provoking reactions. Of course Finn is a man who wants to run - you've badly frightened him just by approaching him. At ground level, Maz is just a laid-back grandma whose preternatural youth is attributable to vegetarian diet and yoga classes or whatever.

On the other hand, Maz claims to have literal magic vision powers and gets intense like THIS SWORD, IT CALLS TO YOU and whatever. This 'basement Maz' is a completely different character, taking off her goggles and then closing her eyes in order to allegedly perceive the future. Being that I am a Christian, I must attack this pagan hokum. Maz is full of poo poo. I don't even believe that she has the midichlorian mutations.

The main question is, of course, why a character like Maz - New Age grandma type - would go to such lengths to influence Rey Lastname with her pop psych? Why does Rey get the different treatment?

That leads us back to the original observation that the film, rather amorally, posits that Rey is good because she's insanely powerful, with her literal psychic powers. Maz has just seen Rey make a beeline to the one box holding Luke's sword, open a door with her mind, and then enter some sort of eccstatic trance. I think it's pretty clear that seeing this is what prompts Maz to direct Rey against the New Order, like some kind of human guided weapon. No longer a laid-back Grandma after that encounter.

This is the kind of stuff you need to piece together like some sort of puzzle, because the dialogue is lame and the imagery bizarrely inexpressive. Maz just sort-of talks to characters in close-up. It makes you really miss Jar Jar's tendency to do things.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Jan 16, 2016

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

How can an advanced chatbot that doesn't exist.. be a Christian?

-James Kirk

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Tezzor posted:

Actually a cigar is just a cigar and a poo poo rushed movie by a hack turkeyneck idiot is just a poo poo rushed movie by a hack turkeyneck idiot, OP

I'm interested to know, Tezzor: Is a lightsaber just a lightsaber?

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich
The only thing I remember about Tezzor is apparently he had an old account where he constantly talked about a steampunk wedding he went to but never posted the pictures.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Canon Star Wars characters notable for having constructed enormous statues of themselves:

-Yogurt, in Spaceballs.

I suppose we may have gotten ahead of ourselves because while the assertion is that Maz is the worst character in Star Wars, the response has been to list character traits and (in effect) prove that Maz is a character. And, you know, of course she is. She's a variation on The Oracle from The Matrix. The question is whether she's a good character.

As usual, the question goes back to what the Force is. So in the originals, have this idea that the Force is horse-poo poo. It actually is just tricks and magic like Han said, but that it is nonetheless like the feather in Dumbo or the Wizard's gifts in Oz - the Force allows you to achieve things so long as you believe the fiction.

The scandal of the midichlorians is that, in an ironic sort of way, they prove the Force is not a fiction. Certain people actually have mutant powers that allow them to move rocks "God is real, and he's an American." That sort of thing.

So what's up with Maz? On the one hand, she's saying some dumb stuff about "eyes being windows to the soul", when she's actually figuring the characters out by provoking reactions. Of course Finn is a man who wants to run - you've badly frightened him just by approaching him. At ground level, Maz is just a laid-back grandma whose preternatural youth is attributable to vegetarian diet and yoga classes or whatever.

On the other hand, Maz claims to have literal magic vision powers and gets intense like THIS SWORD, IT CALLS TO YOU and whatever. This 'basement Maz' is a completely different character, taking off her goggles and then closing her eyes in order to allegedly perceive the future. Being that I am a Christian, I must attack this pagan hokum. Maz is full of poo poo. I don't even believe that she has the midichlorian mutations.

The main question is, of course, why a character like Maz - New Age grandma type - would go to such lengths to influence Rey Lastname with her pop psych? Why does Rey get the different treatment?

That leads us back to the original observation that the film, rather amorally, posits that Rey is good because she's insanely powerful with her literal psychic powers. Maz has just seen Rey make a beeline to the one box holding Luke's sword, open a door with her mind, and then enter some sort of eccstatic trance. I think it's pretty clear that seeing this is what prompts Maz to direct Rey against the New Order, like some kind of human guided weapon. No longer a laid-back Grandma after that encounter.

This is the kind of stuff you need to piece together like some sort of puzzle because the dialogue is lame and the imagery bizarrely inexpressive. Maz just sort-of talks to characters in close-up. It makes you really miss Jar Jar's tendency to do things.

Ahaha, Maz really does remind me of Yogurt.

Anyway, one of the biggest contrasts between Maz and (Empire) Yoda is that Maz is so explicitly a partisan. First, it doesn't really fit with her motif -- she's built a temple to herself, dismisses the current political conflicts as the same old story, and has positioned herself in the middle of nowhere. But it also undermines her role as mentor/sage; as you said, there's something sinister about a combination of Holy Man and therapist handing someone a weapon and telling them to go kill the bad guys.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Jan 16, 2016

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

-Yogurt, in Spaceballs.

gently caress.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Mechafunkzilla posted:

One of the biggest contrasts between Maz and (Empire) Yoda is that Maz is so explicitly a partisan. First, it doesn't really fit with her motif -- she's built a temple to herself, dismisses the current political conflicts as the same old story, and has positioned herself in the middle of nowhere. But it also undermines her role as mentor/sage; as you said, there's something sinister about a combination of Holy Man and therapist handing someone a weapon and telling them to go kill the bad guys.
Well in general TFA had this funny subtext of fake-out and implied duplicity. If the First Order is a fakeout or a paper tiger to some extent, maybe Maz is up to something too, even if "something" turns out to be ultimately well meaning.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Nessus posted:

Careful, you'll trigger him.

I would assert that every Star Wars movie is pretty OK. We are lucky to have seven Star War movies and a pretty good cartoon show.

Three pretty good cartoon shows, even

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Maz being like Yogert is good. TFA is good.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

The MSJ posted:

Rebels season 2 part 2 trailer, featuring Princess Leia, more lightsaber wielders than you expect,, and someone calling himself "Old Master" (probably Darth Maul).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJyxPDEvo9U

This is cool, also a Kylo Ren style saber.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

The conference room scene is a very well-crafted introduction for the Empire. I wish The Force Awakens had a scene as concise and straightforward to tell us what's going on politically in that movie.

Aside from the crawl, Hux's Hitler Speech seemed to cover eveything. He was going on how the Republic 'lied to the galaxy' and was sponsoring disorder by supporting the resistane, and that the galaxy would bow to the first order after they destroyed the Republic Fleet + Senate.

Iunno, I walked away from the first viewing knowing pretty much everything I needed to about the situation.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Yvonmukluk posted:

Aside from the crawl, Hux's Hitler Speech seemed to cover eveything. He was going on how the Republic 'lied to the galaxy' and was sponsoring disorder by supporting the resistane, and that the galaxy would bow to the first order after they destroyed the Republic Fleet + Senate.

Iunno, I walked away from the first viewing knowing pretty much everything I needed to about the situation.
What, that Hux did nothing wrong? I mean for all we know it will turn out that Hux was completely right and the rest of the galaxy has knuckled under to the First Order after that bone-shattering blow.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Nessus posted:

What, that Hux did nothing wrong? I mean for all we know it will turn out that Hux was completely right and the rest of the galaxy has knuckled under to the First Order after that bone-shattering blow.

I was talking about the political situation, not endorsing his views! I think it's likely that the First Order will likely be on the offensive in the next movie against the Republic, which will likely not have surrendered but will be reeling from getting Pearl Harboured in TFA, only for Our Heroes to help turn the tide at Space Midway.

Honestly it seems to me that more or less we learned about as much from the state of the galaxy in this movie that we did back in ANH.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
SMG seems to believe that when a character acts slightly differently, or reveals something about themselves, it makes them an entirely new character. That Keyser Soze reveal must have blown his mind.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

except this is completely wrong the last film to come out is not return of the jedi it was revenge. So after a very "B" movie we get another very "B" move and there's no A to be found. we start the movie with basically the war not meaning anything because the empire still exists and we end the movie with the only fighting force of good guys left being the resistance. it's a way different situation, the death star already did it's job, it can fire again and make things worse but it really is the most Pyrrhic of victories. the movie is a huge downer and is completely carried by a likable cast.

edit: the good guys win...they blew up a planet

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

-Yogurt, in Spaceballs.

As usual, the question goes back to what the Force is. So in the originals, you have this idea that the Force is horse-poo poo. It actually is just tricks and magic like Han said, but it is nonetheless like the feather in Dumbo or the Wizard's gifts in Oz: the Force allows you to achieve things so long as you believe the fiction.

So what's up with Maz? On the one hand, she's saying some dumb stuff about "eyes being windows to the soul", when she's actually just figuring the characters out by provoking reactions. Of course Finn is a man who wants to run - you've badly frightened him just by approaching him. At ground level, Maz is just a laid-back grandma whose preternatural youth is attributable to vegetarian diet and yoga classes or whatever.

That leads us back to the original observation that the film, rather amorally, posits that Rey is good because she's insanely powerful, with her literal psychic powers. Maz has just seen Rey make a beeline to the one box holding Luke's sword, open a door with her mind, and then enter some sort of eccstatic trance. I think it's pretty clear that seeing this is what prompts Maz to direct Rey against the New Order, like some kind of human guided weapon. No longer a laid-back Grandma after that encounter.

This is the kind of stuff you need to piece together like some sort of puzzle, because the dialogue is lame and the imagery bizarrely inexpressive. Maz just sort-of talks to characters in close-up. It makes you really miss Jar Jar's tendency to do things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_B0CyOAO8y0

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

The MSJ posted:

Rebels season 2 part 2 trailer, featuring Princess Leia, more lightsaber wielders than you expect,, and someone calling himself "Old Master" (probably Darth Maul).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJyxPDEvo9U

This looks great. I wonder if Season 2 is a little more tonally consistent than Season 1.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Bongo Bill posted:

I kinda like this.

Soggy Cereal
Jan 8, 2011

Yvonmukluk posted:

Heretic! That can't be enough!

We haven't seen the Senate in session! Do they have a giant mushroom building? Do they have floating platforms and use big words?
We never even see anyone in the Republic give the Resistance money! PLOT HOLE

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

Yvonmukluk posted:

The issue I had was that I thought this speech was hyperbole and that, in combination with them barely showing the fleet got blown up just left me confused and apathetic to the planets getting blown up. The only thing I could glean from that scene was one of the places had some pretty nice balconies.

Edit: Leia's "Without the fleet they'll be sitting ducks" or something like that also made me think that it meant the next shot was aimed for the fleet rather than the volley that just fired, since it's a bit ambiguous with regard to tense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
The scene with Leia and Finn is, well, jarring. The dialogue and framing are directly reminiscent of the cliche scene where the military/police just don't understand the protagonist, or are secretly working against them, but this understanding of the Resistance doesn't appear anywhere else. So if we take this as a revelation that there's some ulterior motives here, why in this scene? Are we to understand the movie as being highly subjective based on the viewpoint character, and Finn is simply nervous? But this seems untenable and underdone, if the case. Is it because of Rey? Is it connected to Kyle's interest in "a girl?" from Jakku? Is it because the Resistance are actually amoral and only concerned with the destruction of the First Order? But this movie has a number of scenes running counter to that. It's an odd scene.

• Locked thread