Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I usually get pretty excited when I see a new chapter of Kingdom pop up.

It always conveys really well a sense of "poo poo is happening" or "something really cool is about to happen" more than a lot of manga. The author does a good job of either focusing on the small elements of the story right in the middle of a single fight or when that's over going right back to the national / global historical perspective. I dunno how to articulate it better but it really keeps your interest more than a lot of things i read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I like seeing Shin and Ten pulling some crazy gambit or someone getting murked brutally

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

I like seeing this guy but he hasn't been showing up a lot lately.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Also Golden Kamui is phenomenal and I now wonder if there is a whole genre of Japanese media which are basically Westerns set in Hokkaido.

there is actually. they remade unforgiven as one for example!

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Davincie posted:

there is actually. they remade unforgiven as one for example!

That's rad, I'll have to watch it. Love me some samurai cowboys

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!

uncleKitchener posted:

I stand corrected, but the customs and traditions are still the same as Caucasus tribes. This now really confuses me regarding customs, but since both sides of the sea descended or were Turkified by older Turkic people, then loads of Persian traditions and names could've been adopted by both sides.

Which chapter was this map? I might have missed it. I'm just getting to Vol 2.

The map was drawn up after the author won an award as a thank you thing, datewise in the middle of volume 7 but only really features characters from up through 6. There are probably a few liberties taken in the depictions.

while we were on the topic, a page ago, here's Otoyome 50: Pariya and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day

Epoxy Bulletin fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Dec 4, 2015

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum
:kimchi: Poor Pariya, what a terrible day. :kimchi:

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
New chapter of Vinland Saga is out, oh Thorskell, you poor bastard :allears:

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Angry Lobster posted:

New chapter of Vinland Saga is out, oh Thorskell, you poor bastard :allears:

About time the series got good again.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
"He'll die if he gets any more peace!" is a fantastic line

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
I love this because it represents all the people that say this manga have been boring since farm saga and like Thorskell, only want bloodshed. Also, lol at his face when the messenger told him the news, priceless.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Thorkell :allears:

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

He needs therapy! And we know just the guy to give it to him!

Love that Thorkell re-introduction. :D

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
I guess Canute is so great that there's nobody left to oppose him, so the only realistic choice for Thorkell to have a good fight would be to rebel against Canute and go on a good ol' rampage.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Link?

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!

http://bato.to/reader#8155f70072b762ee

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Apparently the series might be getting canceled in the US

https://twitter.com/KodanshaUSA/status/676515358329708546

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

GodFish posted:

Apparently the series might be getting canceled in the US

https://twitter.com/KodanshaUSA/status/676515358329708546

It's more likely that this was a last-minute sales drive thing. It worked, it got me to buy all seven volumes all in one go.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Is it only available in hardcover? As nice as they are, I'd prefer more shelf space to nicer(and much more expensive) volumes.

Theowulv
Feb 21, 2015

My wall can now attack
I'm pretty happy with the volumes we got if they do indeed decide to not publish anymore. Chapter 100 is a decent ending place.

That being said I hope they continue the series. The Fettered Tern is a really good arc, and the English volumes have all been great.

Well except for the upside down color pages in Volume 3... :shrug:

Also looks like they recently came out with digital editions if that's more your thing.

https://www.comixology.com/Vinland-Saga-Vol-1/digital-comic/272953

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Captain Invictus posted:

Is it only available in hardcover? As nice as they are, I'd prefer more shelf space to nicer(and much more expensive) volumes.

i bought it digitally not too long ago

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Oh, I prefer to have physical copies of most manga I plan to own, but not hardcovers if I can help it since they like double the amount of space taken up for little gain.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Captain Invictus posted:

Oh, I prefer to have physical copies of most manga I plan to own, but not hardcovers if I can help it since they like double the amount of space taken up for little gain.

If it's the same as the ones in Europe then you're talking about pretty thick volumes where the hard cover doesn't count for a tenth let alone half the volume.

This also briefly made me consider the shelf space inefficiency of BDs. There the standard hardcover often does account for half the thickness and they are generally A4 format to boot. Still love the new hints though. :v:

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!
Otoyomegatari 51: Stealth Action Gameplay

Are things looking up for Pariya? Maybe? It's something at least. :unsmith:

mondays

Epoxy Bulletin fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Jan 5, 2016

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Did you do this? It's perfect.

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!

Captain Invictus posted:

Did you do this? It's perfect.

I accept no responsibility for what these hands have wrought

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Epoxy Bulletin posted:

Otoyomegatari 51: Stealth Action Gameplay

Are things looking up for Pariya? Maybe? It's something at least. :unsmith:

mondays

Oh god, Pariya. Her incredible awkwardness is adorable, but I hope she doesn't change herself too much. I bet whatsisname was asking if she was like that all the time because he likes that about her. If she becomes too much like Camorra I'm afraid he won't be as into her as he was. Please be good, and true to yourself, Pariya! I am rooting for you! :ohdear:

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
She made a friend :3:

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

RabidWeasel posted:

She made a friend :3:

I'm so proud

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Ookami-no-Kuchi-Wolfsmund/Vol-006-Ch-024--Heinz-and-the-Soldiers?id=260325

Oh hey I thought they dropped it. It's cool how good this manga became ever since they dropped the "Mastermind Magistrate" bullshit.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Ookami-no-Kuchi-Wolfsmund/Vol-006-Ch-024--Heinz-and-the-Soldiers?id=260325

Oh hey I thought they dropped it. It's cool how good this manga became ever since they dropped the "Mastermind Magistrate" bullshit.

whats it about now that they shoved a pole through him

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

drat where is the young master to kill those useless peasants

i don't know why but i hate any kind of rebel army

Yes i hate Swiss with their neutrality
It's not freedom it's just with time the territory would be accepted as part of the all like the rest of the country like Rome, Rome was a city but treated other Italian cities well
Yes Palpatine was much better he could shoot lightning from he's fingers

See if those stupid rebbelions stopped the world would have already unified and wars ended

mixed feelings about what i said

i love wars

VibrantPareidolia
Oct 12, 2012
http://bato.to/reader#db09f429af37cae9

Golden Kamui got a couple new chapters in and the first one's pretty gory.

The mood whiplash from 'a guy with his face torn off and his strung up disemboweled comrade' to 'Sugimoto holding an adorable bear cub' is amazing.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Sharkopath posted:

It's not freedom it's just with time the territory would be accepted as part of the all like the rest of the country like Rome, Rome was a city but treated other Italian cities well

See if those stupid rebbelions stopped the world would have already unified and wars ended

i love wars

Are you drunk

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Kissmanga comment.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Sharkopath posted:

Kissmanga comment.

Ahahaha d'oh

Vedius Pollio
Sep 11, 2007

Sharkopath posted:

i love wars

I feel like this sentiment is somehow a symptomatic exemplification of the kind of mental fortitude you'd need to try to not only read Wolfsmund, but enjoy it.

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!

There's a mystery afoot! Split up and search for Otoyomegatari 52

Pariya tip #37: Appeal to Pariya's weaknesses; no one deserves stale bread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
So not only did she make a friend, but now she's realizing that old boy actually likes the real her.
Everything is coming up Pariya these past few chapters.