Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Thundercracker posted:

TFA is basically the most conservative movie ever. It's competent, but takes almost no risks. GoG had set-pieces like inside a giant space head and ended the climax with a dance battle .

Like Guardians of the Galaxy had almost no pre-established movie fanbase, and managed to wow everyone. That's incredibly hard to do these days. While TFA basically banked on nostalgia for 80% of its script. There's just no comparison.

Yeah, everyone knows why they did it and I think it's reasonable and good to acknowledge what they did. Having built trust again, we can hope they take more risks in the following movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

LordAba posted:

Nope, nobody played the game. Nobody. I don't know why people got so excited about it. Like, people played epic and people played BFG. Nobody played AI. Which is why it crashed and burned.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9D9hvCi7qc

Did you find this on a related link from a support group for socially awkward hitler youth or something? :stare:

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Icon Of Sin posted:

Did you find this on a related link from a support group for socially awkward hitler youth or something? :stare:

I think I'm gonna play X-Wing and the upcoming Mantic's Walking Dead game. Big, popular franchises that don't attract quite so many people who seem kind of nazi'ish as Warhammer 40k and Historical.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Chill la Chill posted:

Yeah, everyone knows why they did it and I think it's reasonable and good to acknowledge what they did. Having built trust again, we can hope they take more risks in the following movies.

hope is the first step on the road to disappointment

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?
I've posted plenty of TFA criticisms on SA, in this thread, and elsewhere, so I'm not trying to come off like a TFA apologist, but even trading on nostalgia as much as it did it was still a better movie than Guardians of the Galaxy, which I also liked while concurrently viewing it as comedically overrated. The dance battle is the height of it all - it's a gag gimmick that is not terrible but isn't like this ~subversive take~ on ~superhero movie finales.~ It's just fun. Kinda. GotG didn't break as much new ground as you think it did, especially if your main complaint with TFA is "it was formulaic."

Also, the acting was an order of magnitude better in TFA than it was in GotG, and I say this as an unabashed fanboy of Chris Pratt dating back to Season 1 of Parks and Recreation (which was terrible by the way, that show becomes amazing from Season 2 on but holy Christ the first season). When a WWE superstar not named "The Rock" is the second strongest performance in your movie, something has perhaps gone awry.

Again, I really like GotG! I just like TFA more, man. It's cool if you don't agree with me.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

TFA was fun but Fury Road was fun and art.

It also has to pay its nostalgia tax, but goddamn did it do a better job of it.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
So I was thinking what really angered me with AOS today. Honestly, in the end it has to be the really really dumb names. Steamhead Duardian , Skeletron Deathrattler, Stormfront Domingos... I mean c'mon. It actually took me 4 tries to google how to spell the names as I was writing this post. I really feel all the names are basically the only leftover syllables that vaguely sounded fantasyish.

I really have no doubt that one of the main reasons for AoS is to rebrand all the armies into copyrightable names. But the way they went about it is so so so cynical and contemptuous. Smaller indie games have been forgiven when they have to change something due to legal reasons. You just have to be transparent about your reasons. But the Games Workshop tried to sneak it past its fanbase like it was some artistic plan all along. It's like they think no one would figure it out because it's the 90's and no one has reliable internet.

At this point, I really have to question the self-respect of anyone who still plays 40k because just on every conceivable level Games Workshop is trying to deceive and con you. It's not even a really good con, but they somehow succeed through silence and nerds giving them the benefit of the doubt.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

All of the name changes seem like they dumped it all on some intern who just changed a single vowel or made everything really retarded entirely out of spite

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

It says a lot about how much people love GotG that this is the first time I've ever seen someone say that TFA was a better movie.

Sir Teabag
Oct 26, 2007

Business Gorillas posted:

All of the name changes seem like they dumped it all on some intern who just changed a single vowel or made everything really retarded entirely out of spite

Oll uf tha naem chaenges seam lyke thee dumbped eet oll an sum inturn hoo jast chainged eh syngle vowl ore maed evereething rally reatarded entierlee ought ov speyete.

FTFY.

E: Gaunts Ghosts original fanfic DO NOT STEAL

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I'm saying this even though TFA still has momentum behind it and is fresher in people's minds.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?

moths posted:

TFA was fun but Fury Road was fun and art.

It also has to pay its nostalgia tax, but goddamn did it do a better job of it.

While I think Fury Road is overrated (for reasons that would involve a dumb effortpost), I also agree with you. It trades on some of the nostalgia that made Mad Max and The Road Warrior really great films, but it does it in a much less exploitative way. I happen to disagree with the popular opinion that Fury Road is this, like, hyper-feminist film that transcends genre (it's still an action movie and it can still be really dumb), but it's better than The Force Awakens in no small part because of the exact point you brought up.

Art, though, I dunno, man

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I dislike the use of the word "art" as a measure of some form of transcendental quality rather than as a word to describe a category of thing.

I say this as an artist.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

anti_strunt posted:

Ancient agricultural communities were existentially dependent upon forces of nature over which they had no control. A common interpretations of be use of religious statuary is that it served to make a particular cosmic force seem tangible, often in anthropomorphic form, granting the worshipper relief from anxiety by the illusion of control created by the successful containment of the transcendent.

If we consider the ego to stand in a similar relation to the internal psychology of desire (in the Lacanian sense), that is, to be exposed to incommensurate forces that require the creation of fantasies of control, then it seems that the prismatic shattering of the objet petit a into neatly colour-coded waifus is nothing more than a polytheism of capitalism.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
In the year 2016, a movie with the title "Mad Max" received an Academy Award nomination for Best Picture.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Chill la Chill posted:

Yeah, everyone knows why they did it and I think it's reasonable and good to acknowledge what they did. Having built trust again, we can hope they take literally any risks in the following movies.

fixed

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Thundercracker posted:

At this point, I really have to question the self-respect of anyone who still plays 40k because just on every conceivable level Games Workshop is trying to deceive and con you. It's not even a really good con, but they somehow succeed through silence and nerds giving them the benefit of the doubt.
We goons gave a hotdog alabama man $15k sooo...

Yeah, I can't help but think those ancient dolls were just some weirdos' fetish figures instead of whatever importance anthropologists give to them.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

guts and bolts posted:

I happen to disagree with the popular opinion that Fury Road is this, like, hyper-feminist film that transcends genre (it's still an action movie and it can still be really dumb)

You have the correct opinion. I thought about it for a while when Fury Road came out, and I'd say the most you can say about Fury Road's "feminism" is that it's only hyper-feminist by contrast with most other movies. In an absolute sense, it merely manages to be acceptably feminist. In any case, I think the movie is anti-authoritarian first, environmentalist second, and feminist third. (Well, it's really an action movie first.) There are also a few points where I said "wait, what?" but luckily they were pretty minor compared to other movies.

All in all Fury Road was pretty loving great, but still imperfect. I think part of why people treat Fury Road as the best movie (excuse me, "film" :smug:) ever is how dreadful other movies usually are, especially action movies.

T.G. Xarbala posted:

I dislike the use of the word "art" as a measure of some form of transcendental quality rather than as a word to describe a category of thing.

I usually use "art" to mean "something that prompts analysis of its 'artistic'* merits". However, that doesn't make the "art" any good.

* Feel free to substitute this with any five dollar word you like, e.g. "philosophical", "intellectual", "emotional", etc.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Chill la Chill posted:

Vent hoods aren't cheap :colbert:

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Chill la Chill posted:

Yeah, I can't help but think those ancient dolls were just some weirdos' fetish figures instead of whatever importance anthropologists give to them.

Actually there's a pretty cool theory that those dolls were sculpted by pregnant women themselves, sorta sculpting what they saw when they looked down at themselves.

http://www.kbcc.cuny.edu/academicdepartments/art/Documents/durantaspaleolithicvenus.pdf

NWS for some titty in a journal article.

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

So the movie with a running subtext of how toxic masculinity reduced not only the wives, but also all of the war boys, into things and possessions of a literal patriarch figure, with the only real escape from the situation being to bring fundamental societal change to the kingdom Joe carved out for himself isn't really that feminist? :v:

I think you folks may be confusing feminism with something else.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Pyrolocutus posted:

Actually there's a pretty cool theory that those dolls were sculpted by pregnant women themselves, sorta sculpting what they saw when they looked down at themselves.

http://www.kbcc.cuny.edu/academicdepartments/art/Documents/durantaspaleolithicvenus.pdf

NWS for some titty in a journal article.

Any theory as to what it was is just making poo poo up, so you can basically pick whichever one you like the most.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
i theorize they were from titty wargames

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Humanity has always been dumb and weird. And when we're smart we're just trying to think of a better or more efficient way to be dumb and weird.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I mean, how else can you explain people who want to gently caress aliens, also robots.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

T.G. Xarbala posted:

I mean, how else can you explain people who want to gently caress aliens, also robots.

Look man, robots aren't gonna gently caress themselves, at least not for a good long while yet.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vu7ddmL6Vfs&t=136s

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded
So UK main opposition party is floating banning dividends for businesses that don't pay a living wage http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jan/16/jeremy-corbyn-to-confront-big-business-over-living-wage

If this came in would GW stock take a plunge?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Vitamin P posted:

So UK main opposition party is floating banning dividends for businesses that don't pay a living wage http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jan/16/jeremy-corbyn-to-confront-big-business-over-living-wage

If this came in would GW stock take a plunge?

The stock would fall if they couldn't pay a dividend anymore, so they'd have to cut costs some other way to maintain it, or come up with some contract bullshittery that lets them pay their employees below a living wage because they're not employees, they're independent contractors, or some other neo Victorian-era crap that Tories everywhere have been trying to bring back.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Thundercracker posted:

Like Guardians of the Galaxy had almost no pre-established movie fanbase, and managed to wow everyone. That's incredibly hard to do these days. While TFA basically banked on nostalgia for 80% of its script. There's just no comparison.
My father wanted to see GoTG loving hardcore. Saw the trailers and just said gently caress yes, this looks awesome.My sister loved it, he is hyped. My mother sees the trailer goes gently caress this, wtf is this raccoon poo poo? no loving way

So they go the theater to see (jesus gently caress) Hercules and it is only in 3D, which their old eyeballs can't handle. So my father somehow convinces my mother to see GoTG, how I have no idea, and she comes out of the theater going holy gently caress that raccoon was so loving awesome, great movie.

To me, the fact it won over my stubborn as gently caress 63 year old mother blew my mind. That's a good film right there.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The Fyreslayer theme song
Yes, it's what you think it is, but that doesn't make it any less true.

Aristocrat
Dec 24, 2005
Some X-Wing sized Valkyrie, Avenger etc. minis would be cool but I wouldn't buy a $200 GW board game for them.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
i've seen a lot of dumb anime bullshit in my time but the monstergirl shipgirl fad is the absolute worst

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Dulkor posted:

So the movie with a running subtext of how toxic masculinity reduced not only the wives, but also all of the war boys, into things and possessions of a literal patriarch figure, with the only real escape from the situation being to bring fundamental societal change to the kingdom Joe carved out for himself isn't really that feminist? :v:

What? It is totally the opposite!

Some nice guy just wants to have a child or two, only all the woman go with some "rear end in a top hat" charming him with there feminine ways.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

boom boom boom posted:

I think I'm gonna play X-Wing and the upcoming Mantic's Walking Dead game. Big, popular franchises that don't attract quite so many people who seem kind of nazi'ish as Warhammer 40k and Historical.

It's kinda funny how many no-poo poo fascists I see who idolize 40k. I think it's because the satire aspects are so weak in it- it's really inoffensive to the fascists it tries to lampoon- after all, the fascism is Entirely Correct, Entirely Necessary, and Way Cool in GW's universes.

And yeah, i'm just not sure why anybody would want to play Aeronautica. There are better sim dogfighters, and vastly better casual dogfighters. I'm not even sure if there's any distinctly 40k planes in any case(I also don't think 40k's space combat is distinctive or interesting in the slightest, either.).

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

guts and bolts posted:

Art, though, I dunno, man

I italicized "art" because it's a super-loaded, subjective term.

The shots were gorgeous, there was a core message, and the score was amazing. Miller made a lot of great choices, and even people who aren't normally film people were talking about "center framing" and how he used the soundtrack.

I don't think anyone can 100% say when a thing is (or isn't) art, but it's hard to argue Fury Road wasn't more artistic than TFA. At the very least, FR was a better crafted film.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Dulkor posted:

What the gently caress thread am I even in anymore

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

https://twitter.com/WarhammerGC/status/688286291419504641

"Pretty much the same" is apparently 3-4mm taller, and bigger all around

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Rulebook Heavily posted:

What the gently caress thread am I even in anymore

CD IS LEAKING!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

NTRabbit posted:

https://twitter.com/WarhammerGC/status/688286291419504641

"Pretty much the same" is apparently 3-4mm taller, and bigger all around

Yep, a Fryslayer off the base is about the same as an old Dorf on the base.

:eng101:

• Locked thread