Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Panzeh posted:

There are better sim dogfighters

Any names?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Pierzak posted:

Any names?

Aerodrome, for example. Despite being as weirdly sim as it is, it manages to be less clunky than AI.

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Milky Moor posted:

i've seen a lot of dumb anime bullshit in my time but the monstergirl shipgirl fad is the absolute worst

It does rather lift the veil from the dehumanisation at the root of the fetishism (in the sexual sense).

HazCat
May 4, 2009

The Bee posted:

A mercenary that only gets hired once because he gave you his word sounds like a really lovely concept for a mercenary.

I think that mercenaries that are completely loyal only to the point they are contractually required to be could actually be a pretty interesting concept, and dwarfs-as-lawyers certainly crops up in other fantasy settings (Discworld for sure, and I'm pretty sure LotR dwarfs also valued their contract laws). Mixing it with crazy impulsive berserkers is... complicated, but could still work. I could see a system where each group of mercenaries has their own lawyer who does their negotiating, for example, resulting in Fyre Dorfs being underestimated and using their reputation for being 'utterly loyal' to gently caress a bunch of people over for fun and profit.

GW fucks it up by not making it clear that hiring a bunch of Fyre Dorfs involves six months of contract negotiations and a convoluted series of back up plans for when your hired troops find a loophole that lets them stab you in the back without technically breaking their oath to you.

Actually, GW fucks it up by not caring at all about their world building, and just grasping blindly at various generic concepts and hoping that if they mash them together the result will sell.

I hope it is okay to talk about GW in the GW death thread :ohdear: If not, may I please request more cell-shaded robot dolls; they are very cool.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

HazCat posted:

I think that mercenaries that are completely loyal only to the point they are contractually required to be could actually be a pretty interesting concept

It's from Battletech I think, but I recall reading about a mercenary company that were loyal for the duration of the contract, plus the next contract, and no further, ie they would not immediately turn around and hire themselves out to your enemy. Meant a safe exit, because the employer never had to get paranoid about them doing a sneak attack from the inside as soon as they were done.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
^^^ Not mercs chat, but I like the idea of the clans bidding on taking over planets and poo poo.

anti_strunt posted:

It does rather lift the veil from the dehumanisation at the root of the fetishism (in the sexual sense).

I like the male characters in harem animes because they are all so one dimensional and boring. It is obvious why they do it, but I'm sure you could write novels on the subject.

EDIT: Has there ever been a harem anime deconstruction, kind of like what Madoka Magica did for magic girl?

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Pyrolocutus posted:

Actually there's a pretty cool theory that those dolls were sculpted by pregnant women themselves, sorta sculpting what they saw when they looked down at themselves.

http://www.kbcc.cuny.edu/academicdepartments/art/Documents/durantaspaleolithicvenus.pdf

NWS for some titty in a journal article.

That was a pretty interesting article, thank you. I wasn't fully sold on their arguments, apart from the positioning of the tailbone; that actually seemed like a pretty meaningfully divergence. Do you know of any other articles on the subject?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

HazCat posted:

I think that mercenaries that are completely loyal only to the point they are contractually required to be could actually be a pretty interesting concept, and dwarfs-as-lawyers certainly crops up in other fantasy settings (Discworld for sure, and I'm pretty sure LotR dwarfs also valued their contract laws). Mixing it with crazy impulsive berserkers is... complicated, but could still work. I could see a system where each group of mercenaries has their own lawyer who does their negotiating, for example, resulting in Fyre Dorfs being underestimated and using their reputation for being 'utterly loyal' to gently caress a bunch of people over for fun and profit.

GW fucks it up by not making it clear that hiring a bunch of Fyre Dorfs involves six months of contract negotiations and a convoluted series of back up plans for when your hired troops find a loophole that lets them stab you in the back without technically breaking their oath to you.

Actually, GW fucks it up by not caring at all about their world building, and just grasping blindly at various generic concepts and hoping that if they mash them together the result will sell.

I hope it is okay to talk about GW in the GW death thread :ohdear: If not, may I please request more cell-shaded robot dolls; they are very cool.

That's still a dumb idea in the long run because after... two, three times? No one is going to ever want to hire Fryer Dwarf mercs again.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
who is even going to hire them? i think nearly everyone in AoS would be very unreliable and betrayal prone when the contract ends since each faction has some arbitrary area of total, uncompromising stupidity that determines their entire motivation. sigmar would accuse them of being too chaos and ditching his fan club. chaos would want to kill them for their sweet, sweet skulls or because "lol im soooo chaos :-)". undead want to kill them because something something dominate all life. elves would be reliable maybe, and skaven could be relied on to betray them utterly at the first chance.

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

LordAba posted:

I like the male characters in harem animes because they are all so one dimensional and boring. It is obvious why they do it, but I'm sure you could write novels on the subject.

That actually just makes me hate the genre even more, because the female characters seem all the more pathetic. At least if the male lead was a charismatic, sexy beast of a man I could identify with him see why the female characters would be attracted to him even against their better judgement, but having them catfight over a gee-shucks nonentity is so loving lame. Ah, but you see, he's just such a nice guy.

In a way I guess it offends me for the same reason those Hollywood "high-powered career woman just has to learn to accept and love the foibles of the slacker shmuck male lead" rom-coms offend me. Men should not be trained to believe that they have some innate right to sexual access to females without putting in any work to make themselves attractive mates!

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

I am deserve a harem of double posts.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Tiler Kiwi posted:

who is even going to hire them? i think nearly everyone in AoS would be very unreliable and betrayal prone when the contract ends since each faction has some arbitrary area of total, uncompromising stupidity that determines their entire motivation. sigmar would accuse them of being too chaos and ditching his fan club. chaos would want to kill them for their sweet, sweet skulls or because "lol im soooo chaos :-)". undead want to kill them because something something dominate all life. elves would be reliable maybe, and skaven could be relied on to betray them utterly at the first chance.

I'm just assuming that ur-gold is entirely valueless to everyone else and they literally just use it to get a cadre of frycooksslayers on their side when they need some cannon fodder.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot
Ur-Gold can only go up uP UP!

HazCat
May 4, 2009

Pureauthor posted:

That's still a dumb idea in the long run because after... two, three times? No one is going to ever want to hire Fryer Dwarf mercs again.

Eh, plenty of people fall for multiple get-rich scams (sometimes even after being warned about them from people they should trust). I never underestimate the ability of good salesmen to convince people to do utterly stupid things completely against their own best interest. I could believe that in a medieval setting, rip-off merchants could stay ahead of their own bad press somehow.

Tiler Kiwi posted:

Well yes, the entire setting is now stupid and one-dimensional and you can't eke anything worthwhile out of it without throwing out almost everything GW has added. It may have always been that way, actually - everything I know about the WHFB setting I read on SA in this thread :v:

Anyway, even if my idea were fleshed out better, it would still be pretty dull because the setting already has Skaven. You'd basically end up with 'backstabbers; lawful' and 'backstabbers; chaotic'. I guess my point was more that GW is failing not just because they have bad ideas, but also because they don't even bother trying to make their bad ideas work, they just kind of vomit them up and announce "yes, this is good enough for our customers!"

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

LordAba posted:

EDIT: Has there ever been a harem anime deconstruction, kind of like what Madoka Magica did for magic girl?

Kind of school days, I guess, where the dude's leading on several women leads to one of them murdering her romantic rival and killing him.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

So is there a Jojo harem and/or Jojo giant fighting robot anime that isn't G Gundam?

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Milky Moor posted:

i've seen a lot of dumb anime bullshit in my time but the monstergirl shipgirl fad is the absolute worst

That's BS, don't conflate the two.The Monster Girl fad came up organically. Okayado made those single page comics, put them up on Pixiv, and it grew from there. And there's a lot of good monster girl mangas. T-Rex Girlfriend is great. The Rokurokubi manga is really sweet, Bird Cafe is hilarious.

Boat girls were designed from day 1 to be a corporate money making scheme, and it's produced nothing of value

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

LordAba posted:

...deconstruction... ...Madoka Magica...?

hate

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

LordAba posted:

"The Truth is I am..." or whatever name it's going by nowadays is probably the closest thing to a deconstruction you'll get. I haven't kept up with it, but it takes a lot of harem tropes (like the thousand year old 12-year-old girl) and flips them around (said girl is a petty, cruel and powerful demon who plays tricks on everyone and is the school principal and grandmother to the head teacher). Only two girls actually have a love interest in the main character, who isn't a cardboard cut out of a human being, and the plot actually moves along. It's a story where everyone is cute and dumb.

I read the comics, haven't watched the actual anime.

Gravy Train Robber posted:

Ur-Gold can only go up uP UP!

Sir, may I interest you in a new currency that is unrestrained by the shackles of regulation? It's called Dorfcoin.

Regarding Star Wars chat: I discovered that Donnie Yen will be in the Rogue One movie. I'm already disappointed because Wing Chun probably doesn't exist in the Star Wars universe. (Ip Man was better than TFA).

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Chill la Chill posted:

So is there a Jojo giant fighting robot anime that isn't G Gundam?

I bet you'd like Getter Robo Go. It's got a very early JoJo feel, with manly men who are kind of terrible people punching through horrifying monsters.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I'm not gonna use the word "deconstruction", because that's the worst, but if you want a good harem anime you aren't gonna get better than Bakemonogatari. The male main character is one of the best and most entertaining characters, all the women are really well-developed, it doesn't waste time with "ooh, who will he pick?" and just goes straight into one of the best romances I've ever seen in a TV show.

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Is the new Heroic Legend of Arslan any good.

Mm, for what it was I preferred Black Rock Shooter.

And deconstruction is actually very good.

Because anime is very bad.

PoontifexMacksimus fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jan 16, 2016

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Chill la Chill posted:

So is there a Jojo harem and/or Jojo giant fighting robot anime that isn't G Gundam?

Gurren Lagann

I think the guy that did G Gundam did a show called Giant Robo that's supposed to be really good

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?

boom boom boom posted:

I'm not gonna use the word "deconstruction", because that's the worst, but if you want a good harem anime you aren't gonna get better than Bakemonogatari. The male main character is one of the best and most entertaining characters, all the women are really well-developed, it doesn't waste time with "ooh, who will he pick?" and just goes straight into one of the best romances I've ever seen in a TV show.

isn't this the show where he creeps on his underage younger sister(s) repeatedly and one of the girls in the "harem" is a 10 y/o ghost? I distinctly remember something either named this or similar being recommended to me nonstop and it was just a cascade of awful

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

HazCat posted:

Now I'm imagining a Stormcast awkwardly fumbling its way through a diplomatic negotiation with its permanent :geno: face, and awkwardly trying to get its rigid, poorly-positioned arm into its pockets to try and fish out some ur-gold. All the while, a Fyredorf Gigalawyer is watching him like a hawk, juggling how to exploit this mark for all it's worth. AoS could be a great comedy setting if it didn't seem to insist on taking itself so seriously.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

The Bee posted:

AoS could be a great comedy setting if it didn't seem to insist on taking itself so seriously.

gw.txt

HazCat
May 4, 2009

The Bee posted:

AoS could be a great comedy setting if it didn't seem to insist on taking itself so seriously.

Thanks for reducing all my many, many words down to one sentence, you jerk :mad:

But seriously, I really just want GW to resurrect Terry Pratchett and give him complete control over all of their settings.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Pureauthor posted:

Generally speaking, mercenaries aren't hired for their unwavering loyalty to your cause. That's what you have your own troops for. You hire mercenaries because you need a quick infusion of manpower to go kill some poo poo.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
It would be neat if the stormfronts were really socially inept and incapable of anything but a polite conversational tone, even in battle.

Also being called Seraphon all the lizards should have really beautiful angelic voices. Imagine some peasant following beautiful hymns he hears in the forest one day and discovering it's a bunch of hulking lizards singing while they slaughter a chaos cult.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
I always assumed the feminist bits in Fury Road were mostly just George Miller taking a massive piss out of the dumber part of expected audience, that is bros really into cars and explosions, and then Internet people started treating it very seriously because they're Internet people.

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

Gurren Lagann

I think the guy that did G Gundam did a show called Giant Robo that's supposed to be really good

Gurren Lagann and Giant Robo are both alright for slight entertainment but I don't know if I would call them deconstructions of anything.

Also, neither is very Jojo.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
When talking about anime, if somebody uses the word "deconstruction" I read it as "I'm embarrassed to admit that I like this magical girl or Giant Robot show, so I'm gonna act like it's something really fancy so it's ok for me to like it"

The Magical Girl Madoka Magic, for example, doesn't deconstruct poo poo. It's still a good show.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

boom boom boom posted:

When talking about anime, if somebody uses the word "deconstruction" I read it as "I'm embarrassed to admit that I like this magical girl or Giant Robot show, so I'm gonna act like it's something really fancy so it's ok for me to like it"

The Magical Girl Madoka Magic, for example, doesn't deconstruct poo poo. It's still a good show.

I like Magical Madoka, and while genre deconstruction maybe too generous a term, I like it because of that. If it lacked the Faustian deal for powers and where the witches came from I wouldn't have liked it.

Just like I like Neon Genesis Evangelion for being a deconstruction of the mech pilot genre (aka forcing kids to fight in mechs against hosed up aliens fucks them up).

EDIT: I don't really like other Giant Robot shows except for that one Gundam where the dude gets his leg lasered off and they end up living in a desert.

LordAba fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Jan 16, 2016

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
GL isn't so much a deconstruction it's more an affectionate parody.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

NTRabbit posted:

https://twitter.com/WarhammerGC/status/688286291419504641

"Pretty much the same" is apparently 3-4mm taller, and bigger all around

A better comparison would be with the latest dwarf plastic kits and not really old metal models. I would've gone with a plastic ironbreaker or longbeard as a counterpart to these new things.

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008
I liked Claymore, Noein, Darker Than Black and am currently getting through Ergo Proxy.

Not a cat-girl in sight.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

Safety Factor posted:

A better comparison would be with the latest dwarf plastic kits and not really old metal models. I would've gone with a plastic ironbreaker or longbeard as a counterpart to these new things.

Metal Runesmith is 6th edition, which isn't that long ago. Only been one wave of dwarf releases since.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Thundercloud posted:

Metal Runesmith is 6th edition, which isn't that long ago. Only been one wave of dwarf releases since.

Yeah, but those character models are tiny for whatever reason. I have some of them laying around.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Scale creep is scale creep, picking a 'more recent' plastic just adds a link to the chain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Renfield posted:

I liked Claymore, Noein, Darker Than Black and am currently getting through Ergo Proxy.

Not a cat-girl in sight.

There's a cosplay girl in Darker Than Black and one of the protagonists is literally a cat. Also: Rei Ayanami clone MC, girl who's a teenager but is really an adult, naked manservice. It just happens to be a good series that uses that stuff well.

• Locked thread