Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

blue squares posted:

I am reading it in Spanish in case that wasn't clear. Also I loving hated 2666 in English. I also have the graphic novel Maus in Spanish which is a lot easier to read with the pictures for context

So you didn't enjoy a sprawling obtuse book in your own language and decided gently caress it lets try another sprawling obtuse book by the same guy in a language I am worse at

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

So you didn't enjoy a sprawling obtuse book in your own language and decided gently caress it lets try another sprawling obtuse book by the same guy in a language I am worse at

I thought it was about actual savage detectives lol. I figured I didn't like 2666 because it was a first draft from a dead guy, and that this one would be more edited. The selection at my bookstore for Spanish fiction is very limited. I should go to Barnes and Nobles

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
At least Savage Detectives isn't thematically massively obtuse compared to 2666. It's basically a loose autobiography.

e: they are fundamentally very similar books though so I'm gonna guess you won't finish it.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

blue squares posted:

I thought it was about actual savage detectives lol. I figured I didn't like 2666 because it was a first draft from a dead guy, and that this one would be more edited.

blue squares status: rekt

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

blue squares posted:

I thought it was about actual savage detectives lol. I figured I didn't like 2666 because it was a first draft from a dead guy, and that this one would be more edited. The selection at my bookstore for Spanish fiction is very limited. I should go to Barnes and Nobles

If you didn't like 2666, you are both stupid and will also not like Savage Detectives. They are extremely similar works.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
i loved the first section of 2666 and lost all momentum at the beginning of the second section. i need to go back and re-start it some day

e: i enjoyed savage detectives quite a bit

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:
I'm in the middle of the third section (I think?) that's like 300+ pages just describing all these women that have been murdered. I don't dislike it, but it is long as hell.

Has anyone read Bolanos poetry? I liked one or two things I've found online but haven't looked into any of his collections yet.

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
Does Johnathan Strange and Mr. Norrel count as literature? It's got magic in it but also isn't written horrendously

iccyelf
Jan 10, 2016

WAY TO GO WAMPA!! posted:

Has anyone read Bolanos poetry? I liked one or two things I've found online but haven't looked into any of his collections yet.

I've read a fair bit. It's uneven. When it's good, it's loving amazing but it can be terrible too. The Unknown University collects everything but if you want just a small collection then I'd go with Romantic Dogs which is like Savage Detectives: The Poetry.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Okay, now I have a book of classic Spanish short stories with English printed on the opposite page and the first Harry Potter book. Once I get through those, the grammar stuff should be drilled into me well enough to read the Bolano

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Quandary posted:

Does Johnathan Strange and Mr. Norrel count as literature? It's got magic in it but also isn't written horrendously
Rather than just ask us, which will result in only a snarky response, make an argument

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

Quandary posted:

I thought that it was a crap book and was glad when I finished it.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Why did you finish a 900 page crappy book?

I almost made a Spanish lit thread but realized no one would actually post in it

blue squares fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jan 15, 2016

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

blue squares posted:

I almost made a Spanish lit thread but realized no one would actually post in it

I don't know I could easily see a constantly repeating cycle of arguments about Don Quixote*. The only other Spanish book I read was Murder in the Central Committee, a fun book, and its crammed full of post Franco Spanish politics, but its about a detective so not for this thread.

*Funnily enough, my spell checker doesn't recognise Quixote, but is familiar with Quixotic.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

Quandary posted:

I also thought it was a crap book and gave up after struggling to the halfway point. I also really enjoy Pride & Prejudice, Great Expectations and David Copperfield; while this book may be in part homage to said period, I never saw anything good with regards to the book but rather just meandering banality.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

blue squares posted:

Enough of us here and Spanish language lit buffs to just talk about it here honestly

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Quandary posted:

good writing isn't the only necessary condition for being literature

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
The only novel I've read in Spanish outside of school was La Colmena. It took like 6 months and I decided to never play that game again.

Different note, I just finished The Blind Owl and I thought it ruled. Is any of Hedayat's other poo poo any good? I know that book was brought up earlier in the thread but sifting through all the fantasy dweeb posts makes me sad.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

paradoxGentleman posted:

This feels like a very arbitrary selection. Those things can, I assume, be used to think critically about human nature or whatever exactly is the true requirement for something to qualify. What about Isaac Asimov and his reflections on the worth of a human life and the limitations of machines? Or Lovecraft, who may be a racist twit, but he sure nailed that feeling of helplessnes and unimportance when humans compare themselves to the vastity of the universe?

e: you know what, I am going to get a little farther in the thread before continuing this discussion. Not reading the whole 121 pages though, I got limits
you're like 15 yes?

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Lope de Vega was Cervantes' main literary enemy and wrote a huge number of plays. unfortunately barely anyone outside Spain's heard of him. Some of his stuff is quite good if simplistic. Fuente Ovejuna, The Knight from Olmedo. That's if you can stomach reading but never seeing plays.

Nineball
Mar 27, 2010

He is starting to suspect Kras Mazov *fucked him over* personally with his socio-economic theory. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.
Off-kilter question but the oddball comment here and there about BOTM had me thinking, how do you like to gather your books?

I travel a lot due to work and can't always carry a physical copy, so I've definitely learned the frustration of a good piece having lovely, cheap cash-in e-book style publications sometimes. Thanks to this thread, I've learned to love a multimedia mix though between e-book, library, and personal purchase if I'm particularly interested.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Can you rephrase your question? I'm not sure what you mean.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

blue squares posted:

Can you rephrase your question? I'm not sure what you mean.

How does everyone in the thread acquire their books

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I acquire books through trade, like in fantasy novels. They give me books and I give them moneys

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Hey smoking crow why r u such a fuckin DORK

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

being sober is stupid

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

blue squares posted:

Hey smoking crow why r u such a fuckin DORK

I can't believe I'm being viciously trolled in the book barn

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I buy my books for 50p a go from a shack, it limits my reading choice especially after I lost my library card a while back.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002
I buy my books by having a constantly full, curated Amazon wish lists and a couple of times a year people just send me books for free it's great and I have run out of shelf space and have like boxes of books.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I look at publishers weekly and the sunday book review every week and buy whatever looks good on my Nook

Caustic Chimera
Feb 18, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
I pretty much grab books on recommendation. There's a few books I read on whim, but most books I get are from forums or real life people going "Hey you should read this". This might sound stupid but I'm really afraid of wasting time on a bad book, which is why I rely on recommendations. Then I check if my libraries have it.

If no library in my area has it, then I add it to goodreads and put specifically on a wishlist shelf and eventually buy it. I don't have much money, so most of the time I just use this when people want to know what to get me as a gift.

My public library is pretty good (and seriously I love my university's Japanese library though they don't always come through for me), so usually I don't have complaints though. Except that they dropped a series I was reading. I'm kinda bummed about that. But I was probably the only one reading it.

But if I understand what you're saying (maybe I'm misunderstanding) sometimes you can't carry a physical copy around? That's usually not a problem for me, unless it's a big honking book. If it's over 400 pages, I usually won't lug it around in public and I'll just read it at home. I have a big purse, so I probably have an advantage there. But that's what e-readers are for. This may not work if you're obsessed with getting penguin copies of classics like me though.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
I use the library or take them from my parents house. I think the only new book I bought this year was City On Fire.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Smoking Crow posted:

I can't believe I'm being viciously trolled in the book barn

I love you man

Cercadelmar
Jan 4, 2014
My public library has a bookstore that charges $1 for paperback and $2 for hard. It's pretty good, and the selection isn't terrible either. I got White Teeth during a sale for a dollar.

the_homemaster
Dec 7, 2015

Mel Mudkiper posted:

The Elena Ferrante books are starting to feel like gender horror novels

yessss i just started the second one and yeah bloody oath its scary, its lovecraftian really

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

the_homemaster posted:

yessss i just started the second one and yeah bloody oath its scary, its lovecraftian really

I think we have different definitions of lovecraftian.

I am not quite sure I find the suffocating burden of Italian femininity in impoverished Naples to be similar to the unknowable undying squid from beyond the stars.

Glad I am not the only who finds the books terrifying in a very visceral way though

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

the squid was a metphor for the long-reaching tentacles of the patriarchy

the_homemaster
Dec 7, 2015

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I think we have different definitions of lovecraftian.

I am not quite sure I find the suffocating burden of Italian femininity in impoverished Naples to be similar to the unknowable undying squid from beyond the stars.

Glad I am not the only who finds the books terrifying in a very visceral way though

Somewhat agree with blue squares, but I feel Lovecraftian is fear of the unknown, and certainly with Ferrante a lot of the fear is based on the unknown and the unknown being revealed. It's that kind of existential terror, all-encompassing like the patriarchy.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

the_homemaster posted:

Somewhat agree with blue squares, but I feel Lovecraftian is fear of the unknown, and certainly with Ferrante a lot of the fear is based on the unknown and the unknown being revealed. It's that kind of existential terror, all-encompassing like the patriarchy.

I was being wildly sarcastic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

'fear of the unknown' is so vague a concept that it could be applied to almost anything