Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

All those stairs and they couldn't just land up on the top of the island in Ireland for Rey

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
What if he fucks Rey

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Dead Reckoning posted:

Thinking back on it, they really got Luke's expression in that last scene right. He knew he couldn't avoid this, that someone would seek him out one day, hell, he left that map for a reason, but after his failure as a teacher, uncomfortably close to the way Obi Wan failed his father, he dreads having to take up the mantle again.

Yeah, Mark Hamill really made the most out of the 20 seconds screen time. No joking, he nailed that.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Rey literally reaching out to put the sword back in his hand was a nice visual.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Stultus Maximus posted:

Yeah, Mark Hamill really made the most out of the 20 seconds screen time. No joking, he nailed that.

between the filming cost and Mark Hamill's pay, that was likely the most expensive per-second shot in the history of film

The Slithery D
Jul 19, 2012
Supposedly Harrison Ford took home like 90% of the salary budget for the cast, so that scene was cheap.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Given that they're probably going to break two billion world-wide on The Force Awakens, and do the same thing again in two years, I doubt Disney has any regrets about paying Luke Skywalker a mili to look sad.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

The Slithery D posted:

Supposedly Harrison Ford took home like 90% of the salary budget for the cast, so that scene was cheap.

He also negotiated to be killed off or else he wouldn't have taken the role.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Guy just wants to take his dump truck of money and fly planes, I can't blame him.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

The Slithery D posted:

On the other hand, Harrison Ford probably has slightly better negotiating leverage than Carrie Fisher and Mark Hamill, who have been appearing as themselves on sitcoms, or the guy from Attack the Block and an obscure British actress.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

go3 posted:

between the filming cost and Mark Hamill's pay, that was likely the most expensive per-second shot in the history of film
They did the rest of the filming they were going to do in Ireland while they were there. So he probably got paid for all of that.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Dead Reckoning posted:

On the other hand, Harrison Ford probably has slightly better negotiating leverage than Carrie Fisher and Mark Hamill, who have been appearing as themselves on sitcoms, or the guy from Attack the Block and an obscure British actress.

Boyega and Ridley will do just fine. Their pay goes up with each film not to mention residual or what ever.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

wait is it really Ireland I was just guessing

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

You were correct

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Dead Reckoning posted:

Thinking back on it, they really got Luke's expression in that last scene right. He knew he couldn't avoid this, that someone would seek him out one day, hell, he left that map for a reason, but after his failure as a teacher, uncomfortably close to the way Obi Wan failed his father, he dreads having to take up the mantle again.

That was actually one of my favorite parts of the movie, just the expression on his face.

Edit: A few days ago I heard that in that scene, he's standing at a gravesite. I didn't notice if that's true, so if anyone goes to see it again, look for a headstone or something.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?

Godholio posted:

That was actually one of my favorite parts of the movie, just the expression on his face.

Edit: A few days ago I heard that in that scene, he's standing at a gravesite. I didn't notice if that's true, so if anyone goes to see it again, look for a headstone or something.

Well, looks like I've got an excuse to go see it for a third time.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
Inconclusive. I watched thru out on the second viewing. At some angles it looks headstone-like, and at other shots it looks too slanted and jagged to mean anything. A lot of rocks resemble it.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Still haven't seen it

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Irish Tourism Board even put out a video promoting it....I'll find it later to post.

Cenen
Apr 7, 2011
loving bleach blonde Cho Sung Hui jamming to a lovely 90's cover band like our hero the real Cho Sung Hui here on the strip wooooooooo

Spacman
Mar 18, 2014
I feel really sorry for Luke. Fucker has done two tours, killed the Ace of Spades and been awarded a VC. Old mate just wants to chill on his island smoking force weed, yacking with his old mates in the RSL (Old Ben and Yoda) and growing a beard.

Now kids are walking on his lawn.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Spacman posted:

I feel really sorry for Luke. Fucker has done two tours, killed the Ace of Spades and been awarded a VC. Old mate just wants to chill on his island smoking force weed, yacking with his old mates in the RSL (Old Ben and Yoda) and growing a beard.

Now kids are walking on his lawn.

Not to mention how his attempt to train up the next gen of space commandos ended poorly because someone had a bad case of the crybabies

I'm sure Luke feels how our grandparents' generation felt about the baby boomers when they started getting drafted post Korea

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
"In the old Jedi Order, you had to carry your master on your back while you did PT through a godforsaken jungle!"

Spacman
Mar 18, 2014

McNally posted:

"In the old Jedi Order, you had to carry your master on your back while you did PT through a godforsaken jungle!"

I still feel sorry for him. The poor bstard has saved the galaxy twice, destroyed a gigantic death station twice, turned his father from the dark side, been turned by the emperor and redeemed.

This former warrior has swum through a kilometer of poo poo, all he wants to do is smoke weed and grow a beard, but kids.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Spacman posted:

I still feel sorry for him. The poor bstard has saved the galaxy twice, destroyed a gigantic death station twice, turned his father from the dark side, been turned by the emperor and redeemed.

This former warrior has swum through a kilometer of poo poo, all he wants to do is smoke weed and grow a beard, but kids.

Only motherfucker to escape from BOTH Death Stars, lost a hand fighting the commander-in-chief of the Empire's military, severe Force lightning burns.

Space VA gave him 10%.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

They didn't even give him a motrin prescription? Space va is cold-blooded :smith:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Spacman posted:

I feel more sorry for Han. Brian Quinn described it pretty well after he took his mom: Pretend that at 70 years old you're still not retired, and you're still not good at your job (he owes everyone money, he's being accused by multiple parties of cheating, everybody's walking all over his loving ship to kill him), you're estranged from your spouse for years, and your kid is the new Hitler. What kind of life is that? Then your kid stabs you to death, you fall in a pit, then they blow up the pit.

Kind of got a point. Han Solo is basically a veteran.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Anyone else read the theory that Rey isn't Luke's kid but is related to Obi-Wan somehow?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/ben-ostrower/rey-is-obi-wan-kenobis-granddaughter_b_8911656.html

Honestly, I'd take that twist over her being Luke's kid somehow. I mean Kenobi's backstory never really got much treatment aside from stuff set in the prequel era.

AllDogsGoodDogs
Dec 30, 2008
Who would actually want to retire in the Star Wars universe though? I see no problem with flying around the galaxy, scamming people until I die.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Handsome Ralph posted:

Anyone else read the theory that Rey isn't Luke's kid but is related to Obi-Wan somehow?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/ben-ostrower/rey-is-obi-wan-kenobis-granddaughter_b_8911656.html

Honestly, I'd take that twist over her being Luke's kid somehow. I mean Kenobi's backstory never really got much treatment aside from stuff set in the prequel era.

That's my theory. It's vastly more interesting than her being a skywalker. It would also make sense if she were some other force sensitive kid who survived kylo ren's tantrum. That would leave it open to her being from an altogether new family.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Plot twist: Obi Wan was Anakin's dad, but his mom lied to avoid pissing off Liam Neeson.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Handsome Ralph posted:

Predicting she is the daughter of Obi Wan Kenobi's daughter (who since died or disappeared somehow) and Luke, who gets to tell Rey stories about her mother. Then obviously Rey's mother is actually Kylo Ren, episode 8 reveal, etc.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
finally saw this yesterday, and it was a decent scifi popcorn flick. if you start doing any kind of indepth thinking about it, it quickly becomes retarded, but thats all star wars flicks and most scifi in general so i mostly try to turn my brain off and enjoy the spectacle

my biggest bitch is kind of a legacy star wars issue: why do they send like a couple dozen fighters to attack a loving planet sized weapon and, what one would assume, a planetary number of defenses? and give themselves a 15 minute deadline? like all they had to do to make the whole scenario less farcical was increase the number of good guy ships by an order of 10 and extend the huge planet fucker cannon firing to like 2 hours. no loving way did they crashland the falcon in the woods, trek to the shield generator and deactivate it, then blow up the thermal oscillator poo poo with dozens of hand placed charges, have a bunch of lightsaber fights and still manage to escape/blow up the entire planet in fifteen loving minutes :what:

but then again

quote:

if you start doing any kind of indepth thinking about it, it quickly becomes retarded

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

You go to war with the army you have, not the army you want.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The resistance is fighting a dirty little war with what little the Republic is willing to give them, and what they can scrape together.

I'm a little tired of superweapon plotlines after them already doing it in two movies, then further beating the dead horse several times in the old EU.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Rey's insta-bread was not CG. :stare:

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Godholio posted:

Rey's insta-bread was not CG. :stare:

If the camera stayed on it a minute longer it would have been a T-Rex

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-4mp_e5v4A

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Holy poo poo, that's the most THE FUTURE thing I've ever seen.

• Locked thread