Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

never used flux but anyone who gets this :qq: when a utility that shouldn't be more than 100 lines of code gets baked into the OS deserves a mocking

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

craisins
May 17, 2004

A DRIIIIIIIIIIIIVE!

Dodoman posted:

they need to put down the people who invented something apple is now copying.
i'm surprised apple didn't just buy them- like they did with siri

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
f.lux was terrible though, so maybe that's why

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Pinterest Mom posted:

Here’s what Rdio had to say:

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
shout out to fyad and a loving dog for owning stux repeatedly because he is bad

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

sund posted:

never used flux but anyone who gets this :qq: when a utility that shouldn't be more than 100 lines of code gets baked into the OS deserves a mocking

Siracusa said p much the same thing on atp and laughed at Marco for caring about software patents this one time.

John then made fun of Casey for buying anything but the top-tier 5k iMac.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

iTunes Radio, Apple’s Pandora-style internet radio service, is going behind the $10 per month Apple Music paywall on January 29th.

When the changes go into effect, Beats 1 — the radio station Apple launched with its eponymous music service — will be the only free music offering from Apple.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

oh man are 29 people are going to be upset about this

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

eh

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Here is the thing - F.lux simply is not possible to offer, as a third party app, without breaking Apple's own rules. Having gained lots of popularity over 6 years for OS X, Windows and Android, F.lux claims they were in talks with Apple for the last 5 years to find a way to bring F.lux to iOS in a sanctioned way, but Apple rebuffed any attempts to work something out.

A few months ago, F.lux (out of desperation) released a sideload version for iOS which received thousands of downloads, but was shut down by Apple for obvious reasons of security.

So let's back up here - F.lux tried to go through the proper channels and get onto iOS with Apple's blessing, but Apple simply would not let them. Make no mistake, Apple could very well have found a way to work with F.lux to get them onto the platform via-

Giving F.lux an exception to private API access
Licensing the F.lux code
Buying F.lux out
Giving F.lux credit in the feature announcement (since F.lux is free anyhow).
The point is, this is Apple's sandbox, and Apple's own rules, which they can choose to deal with any way they see fit... and they chose not to let F.lux onto the platform or partner with the F.lux team in any way.

But they still wanted that tasty F.lux feature set, so Apple just flat out copied it without partnership, payment, or even attribution.

Remember, Apple is the company that constantly bemoans people stealing their ideas. This is the company that literally went to the brink with Samsung in court over round cornered rectangles. This is the company that put up the "Redmond: Start your photocopiers" banners at their developer conference.

But if you're a little developer that popularizes a smart idea and makes it a thing? Apple has no trouble locking you out from their ecosystem while still copying your idea and implementing it themselves.

I love Apple, but their history of doing stuff like this is the worst aspect of how the business is run. It's simply disgusting.

(mind you, I say that because my experience and the facts say the Chinese labor situation that people like to harp on is vastly overblown)

Edited To Add: Apple did nothing illegal here (as far as I know), and the argument I'm making is not that Apple is open to civil or criminal liability here. What I am saying is that Apple isn't doing the right thing, in a circumstance when doing the right thing would have cost them very little or even nothing. It's simply a jerk move, from a company I generally respect very deeply... which is why I'm so upset by it.

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer
is the flux thing actually patented or something? or else seems like they are doing a lot of :qq: without suing

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
it isn't patented but it's just another notch in apple's ability to copy jailbreak apps while claiming that they invented it.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
who cares about the legality. paying the guys who popularized the concept is honorable and apple are gently caress heads

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Amethyst posted:

paying the guys who popularized the concept is honorable

lol

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

Amethyst posted:

who cares about the legality. paying the guys who popularized the concept is honorable and apple are gently caress heads

lol apple and honor

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
if it was worthy to pay them then they would've been bought out beforehand

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

well then I hope flux did the right honorable thing and paid the people who put tint controls on analog tvs

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

Amethyst posted:

commit seppoku for thinking something so shameful

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
don't quote blue stymie, idiots

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Apple just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about American culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. If you screw someone over in America, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the american public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase iOS devices, nor will they purchase any of Apple's other products. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Apple has alienated an entire market with this move.

Apple, publicly apologize and cancel f.lux for iOS or you can kiss your business goodbye.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

they could make a public API for literally 1 app to tint the screen, or they can just make it a feature in the OS

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Pinterest Mom posted:

Apple just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about American culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. If you screw someone over in America, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the american public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase iOS devices, nor will they purchase any of Apple's other products. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Apple has alienated an entire market with this move.

Apple, publicly apologize and cancel f.lux for iOS or you can kiss your business goodbye.

I refuse to believe the person that wrote this was not trolling. no one can be this stupid

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

Pinterest Mom posted:

I don't know how much the rest of you know about American culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it

im p sure the two pillars of american culture are gently caress you and got mine

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

im the theoretical future where apple buys out flux but doesn't immediately kill development on other platforms

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

poty posted:

im p sure the two pillars of american culture are gently caress you and got mine

yellow borders
Jan 7, 2010

The Management posted:

I refuse to believe the person that wrote this was not trolling. no one can be this stupid

http://youtu.be/k-uTnqYHZ-I

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

lol

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

The Management posted:

idiot...

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Smythe posted:

idiot...

actually he's v. smart for spotting that fakepost quickly and accurately. not an idiot at all imo

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Necc0 posted:

actually he's v. smart for spotting that fakepost quickly and accurately. not an idiot at all imo

if you dont recognize one of fragmasters greatest works immediately you're a fucktard and not a true goon. :fuckoff:

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Smythe posted:

if you dont recognize one of fragmasters greatest works immediately you're a fucktard and not a true goon. :fuckoff:

is that a front page thing? I wouldn't know about that :smug:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Smythe posted:

ah yes, josh "fragmaster" kyanka, of @sexyfacts4u fame. truly one of the most prolific bloggers of all time

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Smythe posted:

i was actually referencing the neogaf post he was reading from~

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

soooo apparently Apple Music subscriptions now include full iTunes Match functionality? you can import tracks unavailable on apple music into itunes desktop and after a bit, they become available to stream or download to your phone or pad. I don't think it did that when AM first came out.

praise tim

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

i like how they keep quietly doing things like that and also the icloud book library in 9.3. tim is a just and loving king.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

THC posted:

soooo apparently Apple Music subscriptions now include full iTunes Match functionality? you can import tracks unavailable on apple music into itunes desktop and after a bit, they become available to stream or download to your phone or pad. I don't think it did that when AM first came out.

praise tim

yeah music displayed a message a few days ago saying that. owns

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

i did not get that message but im v chuffed

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

THC posted:

i did not get that message and im v chuffed

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

every day i am thankful to be blessed and watched over by tim cook's machines of loving grace

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
im confused. apple music has always had a itunes match like feature. are you sure they're bundling it in with it? i can't find anything online to support what you guys are saying

• Locked thread