Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
The only thing I'll miss in HS so far :(. As long as The Great Movie Ride never leaves I'll be ok.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Sad that LMA is going away, since Central Florida has been gradually losing its big, explosive stunt shows over the past 20 years or so; Sinbad at IOA and Indiana Jones are going to end up the only ones left in a few months.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Man, HS is already pretty devoid of anything to do besides the big 3. So much stuff getting cut for the foreseeable future. Also, a chunk of my childhood is gone with honey I shrunk the kids. I wasted so much precious time there as a child.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

couldcareless posted:

Man, HS is already pretty devoid of anything to do besides the big 3. So much stuff getting cut for the foreseeable future. Also, a chunk of my childhood is gone with honey I shrunk the kids. I wasted so much precious time there as a child.

It was pretty sad seeing my girlfriend visit for the first time and talk about how she'd love to bring our future kids to play in it...

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I looked and theres like literally 5 rides at MGM now. Star Tours, Great Movie, Rock n Roller, Tower of Terror, Toy Story. That is INSANE

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Also, I went back to Skipper's Canteen recently for a second round and tried some new food. The Curried Vegetable Crew Stew was actually the best vegetarian/vegan dish I've ever tasted, and I'd seriously be okay with going vegan if I could have food of that quality every day. The S.E.A. Shu Mai were the best pot stickers I've seen yet, with a really complex and spicy flavor that I didn't expect.

One of the best parts is that the cast members are all still very casual with guests and each other. They freely joke around with the guests, but they also act very casually and friendly with each other. It gives the place a great, friendly atmosphere that encourages you to relax and walk around looking at the decoration (the servers are also totally fine with people walking around looking at the decorations).

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Does it require a reservation yet?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Abu Dave posted:

Does it require a reservation yet?

I've only gone at night, but both times (first time was their 5th day of operation and the second time was like, a week ago) at around 10:00 PM the place was utterly dead. The second time, they didn't even bother with a nominal 3 minute wait. They just walked us right to our table.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
We just left Skippers.. walk right up.

Also this!

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

The pic is broken! What is it?!

I'm so excited to try Skipper's in 2 weeks. I can't wait!

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
It's the Valentines limited release magic band! 2500 is the run number. Minnie makes kissing noises at the gate.

demonR6 fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Jan 16, 2016

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

I love it!

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
And the park is not busy! Booked Buzz LY, Space and Mansion after 5P. Walked on Mine Train - 15 and Pirates - 5...

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

demonR6 posted:

And the park is not busy! Booked Buzz LY, Space and Mansion after 5P. Walked on Mine Train - 15 and Pirates - 5...

That's good news. Mom is taking the girlfriend and I to Skipper's for a late lunch/early dinner tomorrow.

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Strippers are people too!

Abu Dave posted:

I looked and theres like literally 5 rides at MGM now. Star Tours, Great Movie, Rock n Roller, Tower of Terror, Toy Story. That is INSANE

Look at US Hollywood and feel better. All their rides that arent the Mummy or JP are 3D sim garbage, buuuut they are trying. USH and DHS are investing big into new properties, and won't be garbage for long.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Isn't USH a actual studio though? I thought they were limited by movie production eating all their space etc.

e; That said, their version of forbidden journey sounds fuckin AMAZING. That ride itself is really really cool and fun, now throw in 3D effects and omg.

I can't wait for Hulk to open again. Once it does i'm going back to USO.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Abu Dave posted:

Isn't USH a actual studio though? I thought they were limited by movie production eating all their space etc.

e; That said, their version of forbidden journey sounds fuckin AMAZING. That ride itself is really really cool and fun, now throw in 3D effects and omg.

I can't wait for Hulk to open again. Once it does i'm going back to USO.

It is a real working studio, but the park side of things is getting a big overhaul. they are adding a replica of Hogsmeade from Wizarding World of Harry Potter to their side (minus the Dueling Dragons coaster) and recently added the whole Simpsons area that USO has, but with some added flourishes.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Heading to the magic kingdom today,after wasting time for my nephew looking for the haunted mansion pop vinyls downtown Disney.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

It is a real working studio, but the park side of things is getting a big overhaul. they are adding a replica of Hogsmeade from Wizarding World of Harry Potter to their side (minus the Dueling Dragons coaster) and recently added the whole Simpsons area that USO has, but with some added flourishes.

Yeah but they replaced Terminator with Dispicable Me :nsamad:

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Despicable Me is a great ride, and I've never seen the movie! Heading to the parks with some friends today, enjoying some mild weather :)

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

The actual studio and park sides are pretty firmly divided. The working soundstages and backlots are normally closed to the public except for tours, including the tram attraction.

Universal Orlando is also a working studio, but the volume of work is far lower than at Hollywood. Everyone knows about TNA filming there and the game shows like Family Feud, but the soundstages and the park itself are also used for filming locations. New York Street was used in the last scene of The Final Destination and I was part of (of all things) a European market Disney TV show filmed in Soundstage 19 back in 2012, which also used sections of the park itself for many locations. The difficulty there is that the "backlots" are actually part of the park, so you need to either carefully cordon off areas during park hours or film at night or the very early morning to avoid guests.

poolside toaster
Jul 12, 2008
Anyone have a clue when the Polynesian Resort construction/maintenance will be complete?

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

I don't think they've given a specific end date. They just say "Early 2016", whatever that means. That said, I stayed there in November and really didn't see or notice a whole lot of construction. It's just the East Pool and the pathway to the TTC really. It's really not bad.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Hey kids HS is about to get even more lovely! Lights, Motors, Action is gong to close as soon as next month along with the Honey I Shrunk the Kids playground, what is now serving as Wattos Grotto and some other stuff back there. Admission price stays the same!

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler
But kylo ren tho.

Also my office is leaving studios. I'm not sad to not get to park at Epcot for weeks at a time.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

demonR6 posted:

Hey kids HS is about to get even more lovely! Lights, Motors, Action is gong to close as soon as next month along with the Honey I Shrunk the Kids playground, what is now serving as Wattos Grotto and some other stuff back there. Admission price stays the same!

Eh, it still has plenty to do and after the additions it will be a whole new park. People still love it. It's easy to get jaded when you live/work here (as I am on EPCOT at this point), but the direction of HS and AK additions secured my faith in their future.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I have no doubt the end product will be amazing but the in between time is going to be rough. They were just telling me guest services just automatically hands out comp passes now as soon as they say one word about the situation.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Our itinerary for when we went to MGM was "Hit up Rock n Roller Coaster and Twilight Zone then Great Movie Ride and Star Tours then leave". Granted, we don't have kids or anything.

It really feels like that unless you have little kids there's 3 things to do at the park; RnR ToT and Star Tours.

Great Movie Ride is so weird because the animatronics and sets in them looked like they came straight out of the 50s but it was a early 90s (?) ride. Starship Earth was more impressive and that ride is older. I understand it's a good people eater ride but it really isn't worth it imho.

That park is so weird. So so so so weird. If it wasn't for the two thrill rides there'd be no point in going there imho until they open more poo poo.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
Oh man, we get lots of guests that don't realize the other parks aren't Magic Kingdom, so I feel real bad for those guests going to Studios thinking they are getting the Walt Disney World Experience. I'd want a comp too.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Ooh yeah the Earful tower is being removed.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

You're a page late on all of these :v:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Went to Skipper's for the third time in their 4 weeks of operation. The best time to arrive is definitely about 2 hours before park close, as the restaurant is much more empty. Even so, at 7:15 we only had a 45 minute wait.

I did talk to the manager and he confirmed that the fancy souvenir mugs from soft openings are on back order. They're not telling them when new shipments are coming in, which means that the supplier was incredibly unprepared for the demands (the only made a few thousand to start).

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Abu Dave posted:

Our itinerary for when we went to MGM was "Hit up Rock n Roller Coaster and Twilight Zone then Great Movie Ride and Star Tours then leave". Granted, we don't have kids or anything.

It really feels like that unless you have little kids there's 3 things to do at the park; RnR ToT and Star Tours.

Great Movie Ride is so weird because the animatronics and sets in them looked like they came straight out of the 50s but it was a early 90s (?) ride. Starship Earth was more impressive and that ride is older. I understand it's a good people eater ride but it really isn't worth it imho.

That park is so weird. So so so so weird. If it wasn't for the two thrill rides there'd be no point in going there imho until they open more poo poo.

You're missing out on toy Story mania.

Edna Mode
Sep 24, 2005

Bullshit, that's last year's Fall collection!

Whenever I hear about HS closures I'm surprised they can close so many things I don't care about and have all of the stuff I like left.

KidVanguard
Jan 27, 2006

American Diaper
The whole park is a stupid concept that was made as a knee-jerk reaction to Universal Studios and it shows. The whole "ha ha see how fake everything is?" is incredibly regressive and detrimental to the Disney concept and all you can do is shoehorn different attractions in but there will never be a cohesive theme because the theme sucks.

Like Star Tours in Tomorrowland in Disneyland makes sense. You are embarking on a tour into space. Perfect.

Star Tours on a fake studio lot? Ok so it's not showing how the movie is made, are you supposed to be there for the filming of that particular scene? There is nothing to suggest that. You're not in a space port because it's made all too clear that everything is isn't real. It really strips away the magic. They really should just remake the entire park and call it something else. Even if you just call it Movieland it would make more sense,

There are ways to make it work but it would require Disney making special custom rides only for that one park and that's just not how they roll anymore.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

I don't complain about it too much because the Paris version is so much worse.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

KidVanguard posted:

The whole park is a stupid concept that was made as a knee-jerk reaction to Universal Studios and it shows. The whole "ha ha see how fake everything is?" is incredibly regressive and detrimental to the Disney concept and all you can do is shoehorn different attractions in but there will never be a cohesive theme because the theme sucks.

Like Star Tours in Tomorrowland in Disneyland makes sense. You are embarking on a tour into space. Perfect.

Star Tours on a fake studio lot? Ok so it's not showing how the movie is made, are you supposed to be there for the filming of that particular scene? There is nothing to suggest that. You're not in a space port because it's made all too clear that everything is isn't real. It really strips away the magic. They really should just remake the entire park and call it something else. Even if you just call it Movieland it would make more sense,

There are ways to make it work but it would require Disney making special custom rides only for that one park and that's just not how they roll anymore.

Bob Iger slipped last year and revealed that they are renaming it.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

couldcareless posted:

You're missing out on toy Story mania.

I can't go on it because of my girlfriends epilepsy :(. Isn't it just buzz lightyear with 3D though?

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Also does anyone know what kind of music the Star Tunnel music in Space Mountain is? It's so chill, i'd like to listen to more :3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azxQYf9KT94

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Abu Dave posted:

Also does anyone know what kind of music the Star Tunnel music in Space Mountain is? It's so chill, i'd like to listen to more :3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azxQYf9KT94

Love listening to it as well. It reminds me of a pbs show I use to watch, the stargazer, an astronomy show.