Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
craisins
May 17, 2004

A DRIIIIIIIIIIIIVE!

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

that's when you promote him to unit test guy, obviously
the promotion right before "talks about suicide daily guy"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

craisins posted:

well that's not so bad because it's the fasted path to cloud ops

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

craisins posted:

after this comes devops

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

what were those things mentioned recently for generating like simple blog poo poo that you host with s3 for like a nickel per year

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

Bloody posted:

what were those things mentioned recently for generating like simple blog poo poo that you host with s3 for like a nickel per year

jekyll if you really hate yourself, hugo or pelican if you don't quite as much

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Bloody posted:

let me tell you about source_code_20161501.zip

coding from tredecember i guess

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

CommunistPancake posted:

wow these all look like poo poo

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i wrote a javascript that just retrieves stuff from a specific github repository and then displays the last x commit messages nicely. then when i want to post to my blog i just write it up and push a new commit. so i get dynamic content but hosting is just the js script which is tiny
i can give you the code i want. only issue with this system is it makes it really easy for people to steal your blog but that hasnt happened to me for some reason.

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

Bloody posted:

wow these all look like poo poo

there are no good ones, just less bad ones

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

well that's not so bad because it's the fasted path to cloud ops

:yaycloud:

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

CommunistPancake posted:

github pages has jekyll built in, specifically so that you can host a personal blog for free

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i dont understand how things that generate static html for a blog can be so bad. am i not understanding what you want???

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

i think im gonna just write html pages by hand and dump them into s3

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
at least use haml or some other templating thing. you dont need a framework you just install haml and then go haml ur_file and bam html

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

I've been consider starting a blog using github and jekyll. What's so bad about the latter?

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
doesn't elm just generate static stuff? use elm op

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i want to give elm a shot but i keep having doubts. is Elmer FUD common?

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

i want to give elm a shot but i keep having doubts. is Elmer FUD common?

Jesus christ just go try elm. Trying new languages is fun and worst case you waste a few hours.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXsQAXx_ao0

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
that was just a vehicle for a bad joke

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

that was just a vehicle for a bad joke

:ughh: I see it now. Sorry.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

elm package install sense-of-humor

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

doesn't elm just generate static stuff? use elm op

yes

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

VikingofRock posted:

Jesus christ just go try elm. Trying new languages is fun and worst case you waste a few hours.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXsQAXx_ao0

i know you missed the joke but if you actually just want to try it just use http://elm-lang.org/try

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Bloody posted:

i think im gonna just write html pages by hand and dump them into s3

why would you pay for s3 when you can use github pages for free

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.
Elm is good and cool, its like Haskell for people without a Phd in some weirdass mathematics. Also its in the browser so its WebScale!

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

People will fork your blog!

Yesterday I wrote a Spring Boot application that does server-side rendering of the ReactJS components inside. Surprisingly it all works pretty much out of the box. JS tooling itself is still a shitshow though

I wonder how long it will take to get subtle bugs that force me to rip all of this functionality out again

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Sagacity posted:

People will fork your blog!

Yesterday I wrote a Spring Boot application that does server-side rendering of the ReactJS components inside. Surprisingly it all works pretty much out of the box. JS tooling itself is still a shitshow though

I wonder how long it will take to get subtle bugs that force me to rip all of this functionality out again

you should use react to generate your server code (by rendering xml files) and see if you can make a spring quine

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
dont ask me why, but i need a tiny lightweight WAMP stack to execute some PHP scripts, whats the wauy to go

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Valeyard posted:

dont ask me why, but i need a tiny lightweight WAMP stack to execute some PHP scripts, whats the wauy to go

https://hub.docker.com/_/wordpress/

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Bloody posted:

CityDesk :newlol:

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

VikingofRock posted:

I've been consider starting a blog using github and jekyll. What's so bad about the latter?

liquid is an unpleasant templating system and jeykyll is comically slow and doesn't have functional incremental build support so you get to rebuild your entire website every time you want to preview the one page you're actually touching

i like middleman's model much better: in dev mode it works like a normal dynamic site that generates pages on demand, which combined with the livereload plugin means that your browser updates with the new version within a second of you saving a file, and then you just compile it to a static site for deployment

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

bc github pages is bad

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

i interviewed two comp sci students yesterday and both were doing projects using php. one was going to build a backend server in php and mysql. Wtf are they teaching kids these days.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Bloody posted:

bc github pages is bad

it's really not.

a git repo full of static content hosted for free on a custom domain

vs.

a bunch of hacked up scripts to push poo poo into s3

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

i interviewed two comp sci students yesterday and both were doing projects using php. one was going to build a backend server in php and mysql. Wtf are they teaching kids these days.

php will never die

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

MeruFM posted:

php will never die

at least old asp died eventually. sort of.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
how's coldfusion doing these days

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

at least old asp died eventually. sort of.

just this week i had to get a classic asp site working again after the client moved it to a new server

it had a form for customer feedback that's been broken since 2008

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

MeruFM posted:

how's coldfusion doing these days

i knew they had ported it to regular oracle java so that it no longer depends on some crusty jdk from a dead vendor. what i did not know until just now is that it is still actively developed

the unreleased Coldfusion 12 adds support for REST/SOAP APIs.

yes, that blog post is dated january 2016. :vince:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

DaTroof posted:

just this week i had to get a classic asp site working again after the client moved it to a new server

it had a form for customer feedback that's been broken since 2008

yeah we have a classic asp app still running, i wrote a new version that does like 90% of the same stuff but the people using it have been working on some sort of oral tradition and refuse to use the new one. we refuse to support the old one though so we're in a sort of stalemate.

otoh one of the few that do use the replacement said that it had 'saved her life' because it was so much better so at least i know my wcf bullshit app is of some use.

• Locked thread