Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vanov
Sep 19, 2005

sup space lol

rabidsquid posted:

He probably just bought them to play with, actually. Why do you have such a hate boner for MTG finance??

250x Resto 1x Battle of Wits yeah man that makes sense

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Irony Be My Shield posted:

We must avoid printing fairly costed cards in order to accomodate broken mana acceleration lands

It actually might be decent if they decided to print some incremental advantage again instead of constant haymakers.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Remember when being colorless (or rather, costing only generic mana) meant a card would in theory be relatively less powerful, instead of being unambiguously the most powerful play you could make at a certain point on the curve?

Pepperidge Karn remembers.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

There are more powerful 7+ drops than Karn, they just required colored mana usually in spades. Cruel Ultimatum comes to mind.

Karn is so strong because you can play him turn 3-4 off of entirely colorless mana. If he required 2+ colored mana or Tron lands weren't a thing, he would be mediocre at best.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

JerryLee posted:

Remember when being colorless (or rather, costing only generic mana) meant a card would in theory be relatively less powerful, instead of being unambiguously the most powerful play you could make at a certain point on the curve?

Pepperidge Karn remembers.
Isn't this almost exclusively due to Scars of Mirrodin block

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

This is actually a fair point, haven't past arguments for keeping cheap blue card draw/selection banned in Modern (Ponder, Preordain etc.) been "it will just make Twin better!"? With Twin out of the way and the "best deck with blue" spot up for grabs, I wonder if those cards get looked at for possible un-bans in the future.

Probably not

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

C-Euro posted:

This is actually a fair point, haven't past arguments for keeping cheap blue card draw/selection banned in Modern (Ponder, Preordain etc.) been "it will just make Twin better!"? With Twin out of the way and the "best deck with blue" spot up for grabs, I wonder if those cards get looked at for possible un-bans in the future.

Probably not

It's also the argument everyone puts out there for why Force can't be legal.

You heard it here first, folks. Force of Will reprint in SoI! Sell yours now!

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
Yeah, I'm a salty Twin investor. I had Pod in standard, so was sad when it went into Modern and then got banned. Then DRS got the axe after I got 4 and was going to make Jund.

Blaaaah!

Think there will be a U/R Burn with Monastery Swiftspear/Stormchaser Mage/Delver?

That's about all I got to make, right now.

Frozen_flame
Feb 14, 2012

Press A to Protect Earth!
First prerelease went 1-1-1, started off as Ubr which was... poor. Switched R3 for UG and that worked much better. Still happy enough

Frozen_flame fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jan 16, 2016

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
Print Counterspell in MM3.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Tron lands aren't bad when you can't consistently hit them on T3/T4. Ancient Stirrings (which can also grab threats) and Expedition Map seem like bigger culprits than the lands themselves.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

All of the cheap card filtering spells will just go in a Young Pyromancer deck, they won't ever be available to benefit control.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Frozen_flame posted:

First prerelease went 1-1-1, started off as Ubr which was... poor. Switched R3 for UG and that worked much better. Still happy enough

I see 2 cards you shouldn't have been playing in your sealed deck. 1-1-1 indeed.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jan 16, 2016

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

rabidsquid posted:

All of the cheap card filtering spells will just go in a Young Pyromancer deck, they won't ever be available to benefit control.

Yeah after posting that I realized they'd go into Storm too, and I doubt Wizards wants to see that deck back in tier 1. Alas!

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

New cards have successfully enabled the Grixis Control deck to exist, so I think they're heading in the right direction.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I built a deck

It's okay I guess.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Count Bleck posted:

I built a deck

It's okay I guess.

Twin really was holding a lot of decks back out of Modern

Minority Deport
Mar 28, 2010
https://twitter.com/mtgaaron/status/688247164045103104

I didn't think they'd actually admit this, but hey!

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

If they are so opposed to the idea of Modern going a year without a significant shake up, why not just make it rotate instead :confused:

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
Opened a terrible pool which gave me the feelbads. Only 2 or 3 flying bodies, 1 Wastes, 2 Holdout Settlments and 3 GODDAM THOUGH-KNOT SEERS.

Round 1 I played all 3 Though-Knot Seers and ended the game with all 3 in my hand with no Colorless Mana despite having 4 or 5 sources that produce it.

This sealed format is garbage.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Balon posted:

Opened a terrible pool which gave me the feelbads. Only 2 or 3 flying bodies, 1 Wastes, 2 Holdout Settlments and 3 GODDAM THOUGH-KNOT SEERS.

Round 1 I played all 3 Though-Knot Seers and ended the game with all 3 in my hand with no Colorless Mana despite having 4 or 5 sources that produce it.

This sealed format is garbage.

Yeah that's uh real tragic

You interested in selling those?

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Ciprian Maricon posted:

If they are so opposed to the idea of Modern going a year without a significant shake up, why not just make it rotate instead :confused:
Because that's not what modern is at all? You're basically telling them to recreate extended.

Also, playing 3 cards of a color with only 4-5 sources of that color is asking for trouble. There's a reason there are no common {C} cards, but instead cards with activated {C} abilities.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Seems to be a lot of folks with creative interpretations of words like "rotation" and "interactive".

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Aaron Forsythe replaced his previous tweet with this one:
https://twitter.com/mtgaaron/status/688462590297571329

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

sarmhan posted:

Because that's not what modern is at all? You're basically telling them to recreate extended.

It's a more transparent and palatable way to force change on a regular basis as opposed to the current strategy of "Ban something"

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Ciprian Maricon posted:

It's a more transparent and palatable way to force change on a regular basis as opposed to the current strategy of "Ban something"
Did you miss the entire reason modern was created and extended was retired?
Extended was extraordinarily unpopular outside of PTQ/PT season- people hated investing into another rotating format alongside standard.
People are really overreacting to the ban as well. From a financial perspective, everything outside of the 12 combo cards is unlikely to drop outside of the post-ban panic. People are acting like Wizards just threw dart boards and landed on twin.

Sarmhan fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jan 16, 2016

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

sarmhan posted:

Aaron Forsythe replaced his previous tweet with this one:
https://twitter.com/mtgaaron/status/688462590297571329

I have to imagine they're getting a ton of blowback over the Twin ban, and I can't say it's not entirely undeserved.

Also LMAO at Modern being diverse -- fun is debatable

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

sarmhan posted:

Did you miss the entire reason modern was created and extended was retired?
Extended was extraordinarily unpopular outside of PTQ/PT season- people hated investing into another rotating format alongside standard.

I know, I'm arguing that forcing the format to change on a regular schedule via bannings is really dumb. If you are just that intent on forcing your non-rotating format to change. just let it rotate instead, people can be ready for it, and aren't frustrated or incapable of playing the format when a banning catches them off guard.

Investing in a format where constant bannings isn't much better than a format that rotates.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Ciprian Maricon posted:

I know, I'm arguing that forcing the format to change on a regular schedule via bannings is really dumb. If you are just that intent on forcing your non-rotating format to change. just let it rotate instead, people can be ready for it, and aren't frustrated or incapable of playing the format when a banning catches them off guard.

Investing in a format where constant bannings isn't much better than a format that rotates.

Its apparently not a big deal to wotc that people should invest a few grand in a deck that might become unplayable

edit: I am not arguing poo poo shouldn't be banned because its expensive, but the format isn't affordable and it's also unpredictable what might eat a ban.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

rabidsquid posted:

Its apparently not a big deal to wotc that people should invest a few grand in a deck that might become unplayable

edit: I am not arguing poo poo shouldn't be banned because its expensive, but the format isn't affordable and it's also unpredictable what might eat a ban.
Well known worthless cards like scalding tarn, snapcaster mage, and steam vents. It's not like people got their decks set on fire.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Ciprian Maricon posted:

Or, and this is going to sound crazy, print good poo poo in standard so it finds it's way into Modern

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

sarmhan posted:

Well known worthless cards like scalding tarn, snapcaster mage, and steam vents. It's not like people got their decks set on fire.

True. This is the only deck that has ever been banned.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

TheKingofSprings posted:

Or, and this is going to sound crazy, print good poo poo in standard so it finds it's way into Modern

OK

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

rabidsquid posted:

True. This is the only deck that has ever been banned.

Most bans don't result in hundreds of dollars of cards becoming worthless overnight. It didn't happen with Birthing Pod, DRS, Bloodbraid Elf, Seething Song, etc, etc, and etc. A ton of Modern's value is in mana bases and powerful cards that find homes in many decks.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

LSV and Josh Utter Leyton played 2hg at my shop. I was in individual sealed so I didn't get to play them.

My sealed pool was a loving nightmare and I'm gonna post it in the limited thread to see if anyone can make something that isn't terrible with it.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

MTGO

:swoon:

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Seems good.

That Oath of Jace value, man.

Frozen_flame
Feb 14, 2012

Press A to Protect Earth!

mcmagic posted:

I see 2 cards you shouldn't have been playing in your sealed deck. 1-1-1 indeed.

Well gently caress you I did and had more fun for it.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Tron is $1200, 600 tix online.

How do people start playing modern...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

pointsofdata posted:

Tron is $1200, 600 tix online.

How do people start playing modern...

There's 2 ways. Already have the cards or buy the cards in the 3 day time frame between a new deck being discovered and everything in it tripling in price.

• Locked thread