Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Here, give this a shot. MDD-A

edit: This Mad Dog-A does the same alpha damage for less heat penalty. Your maximum DPS is lower, but your sustained DPS is higher. Also, you gain a dead side to shield with.

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jan 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Can I have King Crab?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

With Girl swapping around contracts to get mech bays are there any plans for WoL to do the same?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Devorum posted:

"Vulture" is the IS name for the Mad Dog.

It's even worse than that. "Hagetaka" was the IS reporting name for the Mad Dog, which lasted until one author explained that Hagetaka translated to "Vulture."

Then it became the Vulture. :pseudo:

Stormcrow is the Ryoken, which is "passport." With a really weird spelling ( which didn't save, apparently ) you miiiight get "fist of the battalion" or something but someone who actually reads/writes Japanese would have to tell me how stupid/bad that is.

Warhawk is the Masakari, a Japanese broad axe

Arctic Cheetah's the Hankyu, a Japanese short bow

Daishi is supposedly "great death" but probably translates better as "great teacher" or, with some spellings, "cardboard" (or some even worse spellings "godchild")

The Mist Lynx's reporting name was 'Koshi' which again, theoretically translates to 'small death' (it's the orgasm! :haw: ) but more accurately translates to "lower back," "used paper" or (and this is my favorite), "withering; dying"

Edit: A couple of Clan `Mechs didn't get a "real" Clan name for years. The Ebon Jaguar, for example, is called the Cauldron Born in every piece of fiction it appears in. It didn't get a "Clan" name until after the novel line was discontinued. Even the Clans call it the Cauldron Born, since the IS name spread faster than the official name the Smoke Jaguars gave it.

There's one other instance of the Clans liking the IS reporting name for a `Mech so much that they stopped using their own designation: the Mongrel (a Clan version of the Blackjack, basically) was named the Grendel by the Inner Sphere. For some reason Freeborn Clanners enjoyed piloting a killer troll a lot more than piloting a thinly-disguised insult at their expense.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jan 16, 2016

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

PoptartsNinja posted:

It's even worse than that. "Hagetaka" was the IS reporting name for the Mad Dog, which lasted until one author explained that Hagetaka translated to "Vulture."

Stormcrow is the Ryoken, which is "passport." With a really weird spelling ( which didn't save, apparently ) you miiiight get "fist of the battalion" or something but someone who actually reads/writes Japanese would have to tell me how stupid/bad that is.

Daishi is supposedly "great death" but probably translates better as "great teacher" or, with some spellings, "cardboard" (or some even worse spellings "godchild")

The Mist Lynx's reporting name was 'Koshi' which again, theoretically translates to 'small death' (it's the orgasm! :haw: ) but more accurately translates to "lower back," "used paper" or (and this is my favorite), "withering; dying"

"Lower Back" as in, you know, "Arse"?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Mist Lynx, synonymous with rear end, used toilet paper, and dying.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

I kinda of want another Dakka-based mech. Is there a Heavy or Assault that can be outfitted as such that isn't a Dire Wolf/King Crab? Or a Marauder, I guess, since that's real money only. I already have an Ebon Jag outfitted for it, and I like it, but it's one of the lighter heavies.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Yolomon Wayne posted:

"Lower Back" as in, you know, "Arse"?

Sadly, it's specifically the lumbar region.

Endbuster
Jan 7, 2013

There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.

Oh Snapple! posted:

I kinda of want another Dakka-based mech. Is there a Heavy or Assault that can be outfitted as such that isn't a Dire Wolf/King Crab? Or a Marauder, I guess, since that's real money only. I already have an Ebon Jag outfitted for it, and I like it, but it's one of the lighter heavies.

I only know about clan mechs. But dual uac 10 Timberwolves are decent, and dual uac5 hellbringers with lasers are pretty sweet too.

TeeMerk
Jun 9, 2013

Oh Snapple! posted:

Jaegar or cataphracts dakka. Also Mauler but it's real $$$.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Don't forget the Banshee!

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
Banshee-3E is pro-dakka. Mauler should be C-Bills in like two weeks I think

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

PoptartsNinja posted:

Edit: A couple of Clan `Mechs didn't get a "real" Clan name for years. The Ebon Jaguar, for example, is called the Cauldron Born in every piece of fiction it appears in. It didn't get a "Clan" name until after the novel line was discontinued. Even the Clans call it the Cauldron Born, since the IS name spread faster than the official name the Smoke Jaguars gave it.

There's one other instance of the Clans liking the IS reporting name for a `Mech so much that they stopped using their own designation: the Mongrel (a Clan version of the Blackjack, basically) was named the Grendel by the Inner Sphere. For some reason Freeborn Clanners enjoyed piloting a killer troll a lot more than piloting a thinly-disguised insult at their expense.

I'm...ok at reading and writing Japanese. I lived there for a few years, but it has been a while and I'm pretty rusty.

The "word" Ken can mean "Prefecture" (県), "ticket" (券) or "Fist" (拳). I'm most familiar with usage of the second symbol, as you see it it at every train station, and the first because it's on the signs when you travel (青森県; Aomori prefecture). There's probably more usages I'm not aware of, as well.

However, I can't think of any circumstances where "Ryoken" (literally: Journey Ticket; 旅券) would ever mean "Fist of the Battalion" (Datai no ken; 大隊の拳). They're not even close to the same symbol or context.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Devorum posted:

would ever mean "Fist of the Battalion" (Datai no ken; 大隊の拳).

Based on the second entry. Same symbol, but with a (probably contextual) historical meaning.

I honestly have no idea where the 'Ryoken' name comes from. It's never made any sense to me and it's one of those `Mechs that basically never appeared in fiction so never had the meaning of its name explained.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

PoptartsNinja posted:

Based on the second entry. Same symbol, but with a (probably contextual) historical meaning.

I honestly have no idea where the 'Ryoken' name comes from. It's never made any sense to me and it's one of those `Mechs that basically never appeared in fiction so never had the meaning of its name explained.

I can only assume that someone high on 80's cocaine saw it in a badly translated underground manga and ran with it.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Skoll posted:

Good riddance then. He gets mad when you call him out for being annoying as poo poo, you rage quit when people can't hear you. Sounds like a match made in heaven.
Everything you post is some sort of weird offsite drama nobody gives a poo poo about. Stop it.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Devorum posted:

I can only assume that someone high on 80's cocaine saw it in a badly translated underground manga and ran with it.

It's either that or they meant it to be the 'Ryuken'--Dragon Fist--but remembered at the last minute that the Draconis Combine has the Ryuken regiments already and changed a vowel at the last minute.

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread
How good is the stalker with 6 LLs? Is it a good fit if I really like the QuickDraw with 4 torso LLs and want to do something similar? I am torn between starting my stalker journey with that or the aSRM6 variant.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Bait and Swatch posted:

How good is the stalker with 6 LLs? Is it a good fit if I really like the QuickDraw with 4 torso LLs and want to do something similar? I am torn between starting my stalker journey with that or the aSRM6 variant.

Way back in the days before ghost heat it used to be pretty good, I'd imagine it's still OK, just keep in mind any accidental alpha (or not waiting the full .5 seconds between voleys) will shut you down.

Astroniomix fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jan 16, 2016

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Pattonesque posted:

Banshee-3E is pro-dakka. Mauler should be C-Bills in like two weeks I think

Oh drat, yeah, forgot about the Mauler being c-bills soon. Probably just gonna save my earnings for them because drat if they don't just look mean as hell.

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread

Oh Snapple! posted:

Oh drat, yeah, forgot about the Mauler being c-bills soon. Probably just gonna save my earnings for them because drat if they don't just look mean as hell.

The black knight is available soon as well. The 4lpl variant is nasty.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Bait and Swatch posted:

Do this

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=49&l=eb0fdad6435b1206e258b4ec77848273b51183d4

You can just barely get away with an alpha strike from no heat. Otherwise just alternate groups of three. Absolutely monstrous and almost meta-proof

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
I think maybe the cent d is just garbage.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

I love my little oxide so much

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?

Astroniomix posted:

Way back in the days before ghost heat it used to be pretty good, I'd imagine it's still OK, just keep in mind any accidental alpha (or not waiting the full .5 seconds between voleys) will shut you down.

Since all the weapons are LLs on left/right sides it works fine, having weapon groups for left/right sets of LLs isn't bad at all. Helps when peeking from cover or avoiding blowing off an arm of an ally that gets into your line of fire.

Holybat
Dec 22, 2006

I made this while you were asleep.

PoptartsNinja posted:

http://www.kanjijapanese.com/en/dictionary-japanese-english/ryouken

Maybe they meant to make the Stormcrow a "hunting dog" in the DCMS reports. Not surprisingly, FASA might've not factchecked the spelling.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Surprise Giraffe posted:

I think maybe the cent d is just garbage.

I do this and it is both bad and fun:

Hobo with a Shotgun

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Speaking of colors, the basic purple and red if you buy them sort of look like the 13th Marik Militia colors, which I used when I played tabletop stuff so I use them, plus it adds a more unique color to them. Want to unlock the white though so I can make one of the more "elite" FWL regiments my mechs color.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.
If you're going to spend real money on colors, just get either the Wolfhound or Jenner IIC pack. You get red, white, black, and six faction colors with the IS one and probably a similar bundle with the Clan option. Plus a great cbill-boosted light mech in both, and some assorted other poo poo.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Sard posted:

If you're going to spend real money on colors, just get either the Wolfhound or Jenner IIC pack. You get red, white, black, and six faction colors with the IS one and probably a similar bundle with the Clan option. Plus a great cbill-boosted light mech in both, and some assorted other poo poo.

I think that was only for early adopters, it's just the robot now.

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010

sebmojo posted:

I think that was only for early adopters, it's just the robot now.

If it's the same pattern as the second Clan Pack (the Mist Lynx one), they should have the faction colors even after early adoption.

Then again, it's PGI so who knows, it could be random which pack has the colors after pre-ordering.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Holybat posted:

http://www.kanjijapanese.com/en/dictionary-japanese-english/ryouken

Maybe they meant to make the Stormcrow a "hunting dog" in the DCMS reports. Not surprisingly, FASA might've not factchecked the spelling.

It's Stackpole and he loves his dogs, so that would make sense. It also wouldn't be the first time FASA horribly misspelled something in Japanese ( Da Si becoming Daishi is probably a good example)

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
I mean if you take it one part at a time, yes Dai means big and Shi means death, but they were named by anime nerds in the early 90's and late 80's.

Ryo(u)ken probably also comes from the fact that Japanese romanization is hard and lovely.

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien
I will now write a haiku about my laser centurion

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=28&l=8eeba5821f58edf8bb99ecdff02f7e51f3d95cd5

Boring medium
Play like the King Crab's third arm
Pew pew pew pew shart

Also thanks to whichever nice goon was kicking me space money (ingame name NUMERO HORRENDUS) I appreciate it

Unfortunately I must turn down any further charity because I might get re-perma-mega-banned for behavior issues at any moment but thanks all the same

Tujague fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jan 16, 2016

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

Drakes posted:

Since all the weapons are LLs on left/right sides it works fine, having weapon groups for left/right sets of LLs isn't bad at all. Helps when peeking from cover or avoiding blowing off an arm of an ally that gets into your line of fire.

My stalker is running 6x LL now and yeah I have LA/RA/torso groups both because it's a hot as hell build and the torso hard points are way lower than the arms so you usually can't poke with both together.

I've got a big pile of cbills again, can't decide if I should grab some heavy IS mech so I can put together a deck for CW, or get a shadow cat and a firestarter or something on sale. If I go with the former, I just have no idea what heavy/assault IS mechs are good and on sale now

Endbuster
Jan 7, 2013

There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.

Reztes posted:

My stalker is running 6x LL now and yeah I have LA/RA/torso groups both because it's a hot as hell build and the torso hard points are way lower than the arms so you usually can't poke with both together.

I've got a big pile of cbills again, can't decide if I should grab some heavy IS mech so I can put together a deck for CW, or get a shadow cat and a firestarter or something on sale. If I go with the former, I just have no idea what heavy/assault IS mechs are good and on sale now

Somehow I have 20million, and the IS mechs that look pretty dank right now to me are the Crab, BlackJack, Quickdraw, and Battlemaster. So there are some reccos for every tier. If you have 20 million, you can get 3 blackjacks, sell the engines and kit one out then swaap the parts between the frames to elite them out.

Also the Cicada from the event has a nice XL340 that you can keep or sell...

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer
From a Clan point of view, Jaegers seem pretty wtf-y.
Blackjacks too, and stalkers just outright refuse to go down.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Blackjacks have double structure- so they actually have slightly more HP than an unquirked 55 tonner. They're also exceptionally tiny. The other thing these mechs all have are very narrow CT hitboxes and wide side torsos, so it can be hard to core them out. Blackjacks and Jaegers will almost always be running XLs though, so you can try to just core out one of their side torsos instead.

Stalkers are just very tough for their tonnage, since they have outrageously narrow CTs that are hard to hit if they twist at all.

Sarmhan fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jan 17, 2016

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?
I don't like stalkers even with thei tiny CT hitboxes , I find that they don't spread damage too well with how large their RT/LT are, making it pretty easy to lose a torso quite quickly.

Think I'd like them more if you could fit engines larger than 315 on'em.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

sarmhan posted:

Blackjacks have double structure- so they actually have slightly more HP than an unquirked 55 tonner. They're also exceptionally tiny. The other thing these mechs all have are very narrow CT hitboxes and wide side torsos, so it can be hard to core them out. Blackjacks and Jaegers will almost always be running XLs though, so you can try to just core out one of their side torsos instead.

Stalkers are just very tough for their tonnage, since they have outrageously narrow CTs that are hard to hit if they twist at all.

Ive never won a shootout against a stalker, and if i beat a jeager its a close call that leaves me crippled.
Also their HP placement is perfect for peeking, and the screenshake they cause makes controller counter-fire impossible.
All in all id recommend them, even though i despise their.
Think ill get one or three after i mastered my clan lance.

• Locked thread