Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Emily A. Stanton posted:

My daughter just started daycare. 4 days in. Hand foot and mouth.

Sigh. Really screws with a routine.

Welcome to the plague years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
We've been in daycare for about a year and a half almost and I think, maybe, I remember a 2 or 3 day stretch where she didn't have a runny nose? I could be making that up though.

Tom Swift Jr.
Nov 4, 2008

VorpalBunny posted:

For me, it's always been about establishing the routine more than how effective they are. I make sure all three kids (from 1-5 now) take their vitamins at night and then brush their teeth. They all SUCK AT IT, but I want them to do it so when they have their adult teeth we won't have any hassle with them doing it the right way. Most of the time, they just suck off the toothpaste and roll the toothbrush around their mouth, so my husband takes each of them one at a time, sings our Brushing Those Teeth song (to the tune of Winnie the Pooh) and does his best to brush all their teeth. None of them spit yet (though my goal this winter is to make the 5 year old learn how to spit without spraying crap everywhere) and I take the older two to the dentist every 6 months for their check-ups which are usually all clear. I figure the effectiveness only matters when they have permanent teeth in.

My youngest is 22-months and today has been hell for him. Lots of screaming and clutching his belly, but he pooped just fine in the morning and is drinking lots of water. Nothing like an inconsolable toddler to make you feel totally worthless as a parent. So many tears. So much screeching. He finally fell asleep, and I really hope that rest helps!

Poor baby! I hope he feels better today!

I agree with you that the routine part is really important. One thing, though, baby teeth do actually matter. Problems in baby teeth often carry over to adult teeth. It's a common myth that you don't have to worry about baby teeth, but it is a myth.

PSA- A lot has changed in the life of babies and there has been a huge uptick in cavities in very young children. It is now recommended that children see the dentist when they get their first tooth or at the age of 1. The advent of sippy cups have been a real problem for children's teeth, it is recommended to move to a regular cup as soon as possible and to use a straw based cup if you want to continue with the sippy cups. Dentists are also recommending you avoid juice in addition to soda and other sugary drinks.

On another note, how has everyone handled the sleep deprivation? I'm hitting a wall. Little guy is 21 months and we've got the routine and the training and all of that down, but he still goes through waves of sleeping/not sleeping that kids go through. At most we've had a few weeks at a time where he slept through the night and then something will disrupt it and we're back to square one. He's also an early riser, like 5 am early. Pregnancy was horrible and complications led to me getting down to 10 minutes of sleep a night for several weeks at the end (yay cholestasis) in addition to not getting much sleep the whole rest of the pregnancy (yay hyperemesis), so we entered parenthood already severely sleep deprived. I feel like I can't catch up and I'm always so tired. Anyone else deal with this? He does go for overnights to his grandparents about once a month or so, but I feel like the sleep debt is so huge that one night of sleep just doesn't make it better. When he does sleep through the night, I find myself waking up thinking something is wrong...

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

My husband and I each get one weekend day to sleep in. He gets to sleep in on Saturdays while I watch our 2.5 year old and I get to sleep Sundays. We've been doing this for about a year. It helps!

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

Tom Swift Jr. posted:

The advent of sippy cups have been a real problem for children's teeth, it is recommended to move to a regular cup as soon as possible and to use a straw based cup if you want to continue with the sippy cups.

We have my daughter use shot glasses for cups - they are basically proportionately scaled down cups. Saves you the hassle of filling up a full cup, which reduces issues with spills, although you end up refilling a lot. You can also buy packs of 50 disposable ones for traveling.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
What is bad about it for teeth exactly? Biting on the plastic?

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

greatn posted:

Probably moreso the fact that with a sippy cup you will let them walk around drinking it whenever they want (instead of letting them drink at mealtimes or when they ask for a drink) which ends up with them constantly handing the bacteria on their teeth a steady supply of sugars to ferment.

This isn't a problem if you only give them sippy cups with water.

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009

gninjagnome posted:

We have my daughter use shot glasses for cups - they are basically proportionately scaled down cups. Saves you the hassle of filling up a full cup, which reduces issues with spills, although you end up refilling a lot. You can also buy packs of 50 disposable ones for traveling.

During Christmas this year our 2.5 year old daughter wanted to join in with toasts during the big family dinner, so she got her own aquavit glass filled with water. With it in her hand she instantly looked like a tiny drunk, shouting, dropping cutlery and waving her drink about. Every bit of her behaviour fitted perfectly! It was completely hilarious.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

greatn posted:

There are positional problems, due to the fact that they don't spill, a lot of kids tend to continue drinking from sippy cups as if they were bottles, i.e. laying way back . This can displace the tongue, which then pushes teeth out. Children's palates are really malleable and over time, it can permanently change the tooth placement. Also, sippy cups are super lovely for muscle tone which can lead to speech problems.

Kitiara
Apr 21, 2009

sheri posted:

My husband and I each get one weekend day to sleep in. He gets to sleep in on Saturdays while I watch our 2.5 year old and I get to sleep Sundays. We've been doing this for about a year. It helps!

My husband and I do this too, and I got the idea from another couple that did it that way. It's wonderful. Even on those days where I still wake up early. It's nice to wake up to peace and quiet and not "wee wee is coming" or "I want bottle" playing on repeat.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Kitiara posted:

My husband and I do this too, and I got the idea from another couple that did it that way. It's wonderful. Even on those days where I still wake up early. It's nice to wake up to peace and quiet and not "wee wee is coming" or "I want bottle" playing on repeat.

We do it too. Sometimes I wake up early and just lie in bed listening to the mayhem downstairs and luxuriating in the fact that it is not my problem for an hour or so.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Public Serpent posted:

Welp, our 10-month-old has a cold. She's pretty chipper during the days, but the nights are miserable. We've put books under the crib to raise her head and tried washing her nose with sterile saline solution (which was horrible for everyone involved :().

Does anybody have any useful tips for making her more comfortable? Or magic instant cold cures...

This is a bit late, but get a Nose Frida. http://fridababy.com/product/nosefrida/

It is the best method I have found for quickly getting a very large amount of snot out of my son's nose. He hates it while I am doing it, but it gets so much snot out he breaths a lot better once it is done.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

greatn posted:

I have seen people put their kid to bed with a sippy cup of juice, which the kid falls asleep sucking on, then you have juice sitting against the teeth for hours on end, every day, instead of saliva.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

photomikey posted:

I have seen people put their kid to bed with a sippy cup of juice, which the kid falls asleep sucking on, then you have juice sitting against the teeth for hours on end, every day, instead of saliva.

Holy crap! For all the parts of parenting I fail at, I feel like we're doing good on the cup/juice/brushing part.

1 brush in the morning and 1 at night before bed and absolutely nothing to eat/drink after the last brush.

And we skipped sippy cups and went right to straw cups (and she can drink from a regular cup with a little hand holding). Also all of her juice is about a 70/30 water/juice combo. Never just straight juice. Almost always all water (or at least the majority water).

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

My toddler that has a soul of an old man doesn't care for juice or soda. He wants water all day every day. Candy doesn't get him going but a can of sardines will.

amethystbliss
Jan 17, 2006

D-Pad posted:

This is a bit late, but get a Nose Frida. http://fridababy.com/product/nosefrida/

It is the best method I have found for quickly getting a very large amount of snot out of my son's nose. He hates it while I am doing it, but it gets so much snot out he breaths a lot better once it is done.

Nose Frida is amazing. They sell them at Target.

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009

Alterian posted:

Candy doesn't get him going but a can of sardines will.

Haha, I love when they do this. My kid would live on candy if I let her, but she refuses to even touch fish fingers, but scarfs down sashimi like it's going out of style. She hates cheese and potatoes in any way, shape or form, but will happily eat her way through a head of pickled cabbage.

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
Weird eating kids are the best. :3: My youngest always hated string cheese or any processed "cheese" type food but will throw down on some gorgonzola. They also beg me for smoked fish every time we go to Trader Joe's.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I've got a couple of unrelated questions. First, why are baby clothes all over the map in terms of age vs. size? Our 3.5-month-old still fits into one or two 0-3 month outfits, has outgrown some 3-6 month clothes, and fits reasonably in some 6 month clothes. This is dumb.

Second, how do you know if you can start trying to do the Ferber method or something similar? Just wait 'til 4 months and give it a go, or are there signs or behaviors you can look for in your child that might indicate they're "ready"?

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
Does this place have a thread dedicated to parenting autistic kids, or a general special needs kid thread, or emotional disorders, or anything like that? Stupid broken search.

I have an autistic 8-year-old who is a great kid, funny and brilliant and talkative and loving, but his ability to function at home and school without having a million screaming meltdowns is rapidly declining. Today he was in the "calming room" at school most of the day and ripped up his NASA shirt in frustration. He screams, hits, bites, throws things, yells "I hate you! I wish you would die!" at me repeatedly over minor things. He's on Risperdal, Abilify, and Zoloft. I'm at my wits' end. He already got sent to a different school in the same district (so now he rides the bus for an hour each way) because he was so out of control they had two full-time aides spending most of their days with just him. The new school doesn't seem to be having much more luck.

Any advice? Better thread for this? Would be thrilled to hear from autistic adults too, to get a better perspective on his feelings.

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do
I need some advice.

Our daughter is 3 and a half, and is an unholy terror. She is a bit of a bully, frequently pushing/kicking her little brother to take the toy he's playing with from him, or to keep him from playing with her toy. She doesn't listen at all when we tell her to stop doing things, and even laughs when she's doing it, especially after we've threatened her with a punishment (which we always follow through on). She regularly does things she knows are bad (this morning, it was smearing poop on the walls, which I thought we had stamped out of her, and then making a mess in the sink with hand towels while she washed her hands). She still steadfastly refuses to use the potty at home. Frequently at meals, she'll say "Ew, yuck!" and refuse to eat it, without even trying it, and often with foods that we know she likes.

I understand that some of it comes with the territory on age, but it's incredibly frustrating to not seem to ever get through to her at all. We've tried rewarding good behavior, and she doesn't do it any more. We've tried punishing her for bad behavior, and like I said, she seems to laugh it off and it doesn't even phase her. I'm at my wits' end.

I'm not expecting her to be a little adult (though that would be nice), but does anyone have any advice on how we can at least guide her towards better behavior?

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002
No advice here because my 3 year old does quite similar things to his little sister. Just posting to quote him saying quite often at dinner he won't eat something because it is "yuck and disgusting." He says this with a smile on his face. :)

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

hooah posted:

I've got a couple of unrelated questions. First, why are baby clothes all over the map in terms of age vs. size? Our 3.5-month-old still fits into one or two 0-3 month outfits, has outgrown some 3-6 month clothes, and fits reasonably in some 6 month clothes. This is dumb.

Second, how do you know if you can start trying to do the Ferber method or something similar? Just wait 'til 4 months and give it a go, or are there signs or behaviors you can look for in your child that might indicate they're "ready"?

I'm pretty sure 4 months is way too early for Ferber.

And yeah, kids clothes are bullshit. Once you get to the T sizes at least if it's misfit it's not too ridiculous.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

Hdip posted:

No advice here because my 3 year old does quite similar things to his little sister. Just posting to quote him saying quite often at dinner he won't eat something because it is "yuck and disgusting." He says this with a smile on his face. :)

My 3 year old does the same thing with foods that he loves. I always say, "that's fine, you don't have to eat it." Then I ignore him & 95% of the time he'll start to eat after 5-10 minutes.

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009

Axiem posted:

I'm not expecting her to be a little adult (though that would be nice), but does anyone have any advice on how we can at least guide her towards better behavior?

Caveat: I'm a couple of months away from even having a 3 year old, so I may be talking out of my rear end, but here goes:

Kids do what works. It sounds like you've tried lots of stuff, but have you tried just plain ignoring her? Not in the sense of letting her wreck havoc unchecked, but making it so that her negative behavious gets her nothing she wants, including your attention. Just getting removed to a boring place (or just plain ignored for things like ew and yuck at the dinner table, which isn't harming anyone or making a big mess) and a reminder that you guys don't want to hang out with her when she's like that.
If she's got a little brother she's suddenly got to share you guys with, I totally get the mindset of "if I smear poop on the wall, I get mum and dads undivided attention, even if they're mad!"
And then give her lots of attention when she's doing good stuff, so she sees that not being a terror gets her more and better attention. If it's possible, maybe you can schedule regular outings with just her and a parent.

I have no idea if this is relevant to your situation, I may just be projecting an imagined sibling rivalry onto her, but that was my first thought - that she's acting out because it gets her parent time, even though it's crappy parent time.

Tom Swift Jr.
Nov 4, 2008

pookel posted:

Does this place have a thread dedicated to parenting autistic kids, or a general special needs kid thread, or emotional disorders, or anything like that? Stupid broken search.

I have an autistic 8-year-old who is a great kid, funny and brilliant and talkative and loving, but his ability to function at home and school without having a million screaming meltdowns is rapidly declining. Today he was in the "calming room" at school most of the day and ripped up his NASA shirt in frustration. He screams, hits, bites, throws things, yells "I hate you! I wish you would die!" at me repeatedly over minor things. He's on Risperdal, Abilify, and Zoloft. I'm at my wits' end. He already got sent to a different school in the same district (so now he rides the bus for an hour each way) because he was so out of control they had two full-time aides spending most of their days with just him. The new school doesn't seem to be having much more luck.

Any advice? Better thread for this? Would be thrilled to hear from autistic adults too, to get a better perspective on his feelings.

I have some professional experience with children with autism and I know how challenging it can get. My first thought is that's a lot of medication. He's on all three at once?
I would consider seeking a second opinion on the medication front. My second thought is that there is some disconnect here for him. Some need is not being met. My instinct is that the school program or a particular teacher or aid or someone/something is not a good fit and this is spilling into the home.

What is his thing? What is it that gets him excited and motivated? You have to connect there and build from there. Is the system he's working within punitive or based on positive guidance? I find that punitive systems really backfire on kids with autism. If you lose one thing, the whole day is ruined.

There are so many factors to consider that it is hard to give advice just on what you said. What I will suggest is consider everything-engagement strategies, discipline/guidance strategies, environment (how it's set up, is it too hot/cold, over/understimulating), hunger/thirst, are there adequate routines especially for transitions.

Hang in there. When you eventually find the right combo of everything it will get better!

sudont
May 10, 2011
this program is useful for when you don't want to do something.

Fun Shoe
The food thing: I just read a few different articles that all said the same thing, as the parent it's your job to provide nutritious food. It's the kid's job to eat it. You prepare it and serve it and if they flip out, "you don't have to eat it" are like magic words. I haven't had a chance to use this yet, but will report back.

kirsty
Apr 24, 2007
Too lazy and too broke

Axiem posted:

I understand that some of it comes with the territory on age, but it's incredibly frustrating to not seem to ever get through to her at all. We've tried rewarding good behavior, and she doesn't do it any more. We've tried punishing her for bad behavior, and like I said, she seems to laugh it off and it doesn't even phase her. I'm at my wits' end.

Three year olds are the worst. My advice, having just gone through it, is the same as Sockmuppet's - ignore, ignore, ignore. She smears poop? You clean it up without a word or reaction AT ALL. If she's trying to get your attention while you're doing that, say "I'm cleaning at the moment, but if you'd like to help there's a cloth over there." And that's it, unless she picks up the cloth to clean, in which case you praise her with all the enthusiasm in the world. She doesn't eat? Cool, her choice. Ain't no skin off your nose. You are nothing but zen, eating your dinner. Offer a banana or slice of bread and butter (something really boring but filling) before cleaning teeth if you're worried she'll wake from hunger.

Some other things that helped me deal with my terror was making sure I spent actual one on one play time with him when the younger one was napping, and, when things were calm, talking about the house rules and the behaviour we expect as a family.

But yeah, three year olds are the worst.

Kitiara
Apr 21, 2009
Something that helped us in the food front, with the 3 year old at least, was the Green eggs and ham book. It was her favourite book for bedtime reading for a while, and so we just quote the "try it and you may I say" part and it tends to get her to at least try the food. Then half the time, she will like it and go ahead and eat it.

The other big thing was the advise above. It's your job to provide the nutritional food, and her job to eat it. Basically, she can't get any other food until she's finished her dinner. Sometimes that leads to her going to bed hungry, but when she complains about it at 8pm. We just give her dinner then. Most of the time, doing the airplane motion, reading out green eggs and ham book, or the reminder that they'll be ice cream after dinner will do the trick.

It also helped to not put that much pressure on the other meals. I stopped trying to make her eat everything I thought she should eat. Some days she's hungrier than others. She prefers fruit, so I make sure she has plenty around. If all she has for lunch one day is 2-3 carrots. Or 4 bananas (not exaggerating!). Then so be it.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
Avoid digging in your heels and demanding a 3 year old eat something. A 3 year old is like a murderer doing life-in-prison. In any standoff, they will outlast you, because you have other poo poo to do and they have nothing on their priority list other than to purposefully not do anything you demand they do.

I had great success with the method above, where she declared she wouldn't eat it, and I'd shrug it off and go about my business. If you set a 3 year old in front of a plate of markers and paste, after a few minutes, they will start eating them. So broccoli and chicken should really be no big deal.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Has anybody used the ABCmouse app and have any positive experience with the company? From most of the research of I have done, they do not have a favorable rating with the BBB and they seems to have really crappy costumer service, especially in the realms of subscription cancellations.

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

I'd been happy, and I was happy still. For all to be accomplished,
for me to feel less lonely,
all that remained to hope
was that on the day of my execution
there should be a huge crowd of spectators and that they should
greet me with howls of execration.
Plaster Town Cop

Rythe posted:

Has anybody used the ABCmouse app and have any positive experience with the company? From most of the research of I have done, they do not have a favorable rating with the BBB and they seems to have really crappy costumer service, especially in the realms of subscription cancellations.
My daughter enjoyed playing abcmouse and it would occupy her for hours, but it did not seem especially effective at advancing her education. I stayed subscribed for over a year and she completed all of Level 4 and most of Level 5.

Cancellation was no problem at all, my daughter had lost interest. The game does reward the child with furniture and decorations for a virtual room, as well as virtual hamster cage and fish tank, which may act as a hook to keep the parent paying so the pets aren't deleted and gone forever.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
anyone have any activity recommendations for stay at home dads for inside the house? losing my loving mind here reading the same books over and over and watching the same cartoon on youtube. want some crafty fun poo poo that also entertains me a little bit or something.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Tom Swift Jr. posted:

I have some professional experience with children with autism and I know how challenging it can get. My first thought is that's a lot of medication. He's on all three at once?
I would consider seeking a second opinion on the medication front. My second thought is that there is some disconnect here for him. Some need is not being met. My instinct is that the school program or a particular teacher or aid or someone/something is not a good fit and this is spilling into the home.
Thanks. He started out on less medication, and we've tried a couple combinations, and like everything else we've tried this year, he was great for a week or two and then just went downhill. The Abilify definitely helps him focus (we're pretty sure he has ADHD also), the Risperdal used to help him calm down, but not so much anymore ... and even on the Zoloft his anxiety is sky-high. We tried to go to Star Wars in the theater, with lots of preparation, special noise-canceling headphones, etc., and he got so nervous and scared (theaters are loud) that he threw up all over the place during the previews and we had to go home. :(

Things have been worse this year partly because his old special ed teacher left (to stay home with her kids) and we miss her a lot. She really connected well with him and was very patient. Everyone who is working with him now seems friendly and well-meaning, but they just don't know him as well.

We've also had family changes - I'm getting divorced, and I have a new boyfriend. However, he's still in his same old room and he sees his dad all the time, and he hasn't seemed to pay much attention to the changes.

I emailed a local center that specializes in treating kids with developmental disabilities and asked for help. Their autism services are a new addition (2012) and I don't know what services they offer exactly, but I figured I should check it out.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

Reason posted:

anyone have any activity recommendations for stay at home dads for inside the house? losing my loving mind here reading the same books over and over and watching the same cartoon on youtube. want some crafty fun poo poo that also entertains me a little bit or something.

How old are the kid(s)? Do you own a TV with cable? Is there a reason you can't leave the house? :ohdear:

Tom Swift Jr.
Nov 4, 2008

pookel posted:

Thanks. He started out on less medication, and we've tried a couple combinations, and like everything else we've tried this year, he was great for a week or two and then just went downhill. The Abilify definitely helps him focus (we're pretty sure he has ADHD also), the Risperdal used to help him calm down, but not so much anymore ... and even on the Zoloft his anxiety is sky-high. We tried to go to Star Wars in the theater, with lots of preparation, special noise-canceling headphones, etc., and he got so nervous and scared (theaters are loud) that he threw up all over the place during the previews and we had to go home. :(

Things have been worse this year partly because his old special ed teacher left (to stay home with her kids) and we miss her a lot. She really connected well with him and was very patient. Everyone who is working with him now seems friendly and well-meaning, but they just don't know him as well.

We've also had family changes - I'm getting divorced, and I have a new boyfriend. However, he's still in his same old room and he sees his dad all the time, and he hasn't seemed to pay much attention to the changes.

I emailed a local center that specializes in treating kids with developmental disabilities and asked for help. Their autism services are a new addition (2012) and I don't know what services they offer exactly, but I figured I should check it out.

I would expect any kid to have some behavior issues pop up with that many changes. Having autism just amplifies that normal response. Just the changes at school alone could trigger a change in behavior, but I think at-home changes might be having a bigger effect than he lets on. I've been tutoring one student for five years now and it's really a therapeutic outlet for him. Every so often he will just out of the blue bring up something that has been bothering him, he's worried about, or something happening in the news that you wouldn't expect him to have even registered. A lot of times, these are things that even his very attentive parents had no clue he was thinking about. My point in sharing this is that there could be a lot going on inside even if he's not showing it. I'm sure you've already tried, but I would keep probing on how he's feeling about the changes at home. Ask him what will make him feel better. It sounds like you and his dad are doing a great job of keeping that connection strong, but he might need something like a nightly phone call that happens at the same time every day to help ease his anxiety. Making him a part of coming up with solutions will help them to be more impactful. I've always found that kids with autism (really all kids) are much more aware and in tune with what is going on around them than adults expect.

Honestly, it sounds like he's just reacting to changes and the way through is to just be consistent, patient, and give him time. Any places where you can create or reinforce strong routines will definitely help and it might be beneficial to give him a framework of expectations for how the boyfriend will be a part of his life. The more he knows what to expect, the easier it will be on him. I think getting some extra help from the local center and maybe some counseling is a great idea. If nothing else, a support group for you would really be beneficial.

The theater might have just been something that he can't handle. It is okay to have limits. Sometimes, I think we worry too much about kids missing out when really they are happier doing things their own way. I've pretty much given up on regular theaters because they have gotten so loud, it is just much more pleasant to wait until a movie is out on dvd and I can watch it at home. A lot of the bigger theaters do offer special screenings for people with sensitivities where they keep the house lights on and the volume down. It might be worthwhile to call around and see if any of your area theaters do this if he really wants the theater experience.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

VorpalBunny posted:

How old are the kid(s)? Do you own a TV with cable? Is there a reason you can't leave the house? :ohdear:

2 year old kid. We can leave the house, but are limited to walking distance because my wife is using our single car to get to work and bus service is really poo poo around here. Also its rainy and cold so we don't go out as often as we did in the warmer/dryer times.

Been a stay at home dad for about 7 months now and its just starting to become boring especially with the wet weather and because we only have one car. I'm not very creative at coming up with indoor activities. We don't have cable TV, and I just don't like the idea of plopping him in front of the TV for large portions of the day. We do have Netflix so we watch stuff on there sometimes when I really need breaks.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Reason posted:

I'm really liking this Crayola Model Magic stuff
http://www.crayola.ca/things-to-do/how-to-landing/model-magic.aspx

It makes less mess than plasticine and certainly play-doh, and my kid is a big fan of it. The other day we got a long roll of paper, taped it along the wall, and drew a long picture on it, that ate up a good couple of hours.

Basically, get a bunch of stuff like that and make a craft box, and do one or two things from there each day. Don't overthink it, your kid is two and would probably have a ball playing with a few pipe cleaners and some Cheerios. Or maybe that's just mine.

e: get some safe paint and paint some garbage! The other day we painted pop cans from the recycling bin because what the gently caress, she's two and thinks that's as good as Disney World.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

flashy_mcflash posted:

I'm really liking this Crayola Model Magic stuff
http://www.crayola.ca/things-to-do/how-to-landing/model-magic.aspx

It makes less mess than plasticine and certainly play-doh, and my kid is a big fan of it. The other day we got a long roll of paper, taped it along the wall, and drew a long picture on it, that ate up a good couple of hours.

Basically, get a bunch of stuff like that and make a craft box, and do one or two things from there each day. Don't overthink it, your kid is two and would probably have a ball playing with a few pipe cleaners and some Cheerios. Or maybe that's just mine.

e: get some safe paint and paint some garbage! The other day we painted pop cans from the recycling bin because what the gently caress, she's two and thinks that's as good as Disney World.

Is this stuff as tasty as Play-Doh must be? The only thing he'll do with play-doh is eat it. Thanks for the painting garbage idea though, just need to get some safe paints.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Reason posted:

Is this stuff as tasty as Play-Doh must be? The only thing he'll do with play-doh is eat it. Thanks for the painting garbage idea though, just need to get some safe paints.

I haven't tasted it but I imagine not. I like it because it doesn't really stick to anything and doesn't feel greasy. Sydney is pretty good about 'if it goes in the mouth, it goes away' though. Could be a teachable moment with the play-doh, possibly?