Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the man??
This poll is closed.
Goku 202 7.09%
Vegeta 279 9.79%
Krillin 208 7.30%
Piccolo or his nameks 212 7.44%
Gohan or Cool Gohan 135 4.74%
Yamcha 90 3.16%
Tien 120 4.21%
Muten Roshi 89 3.12%
Tao Pai Pai 71 2.49%
Frieza 69 2.42%
Cell or an android 86 3.02%
Buu 62 2.18%
Hercule "Mark" Satan 327 11.48%
Videl 90 3.16%
Bulma 104 3.65%
Yajirobe 99 3.47%
Ginyu or other Frieza squad guy 68 2.39%
King kai or another kai 53 1.86%
Chi-Chi 83 2.91%
Goten 43 1.51%
Trunks or Cool Trunks 112 3.93%
Bardock 48 1.68%
Other villain of DB,Z, or GT(please post about it!) 41 1.44%
Uub 42 1.47%
Oolong 90 3.16%
Zamasu 26 0.91%
Total: 1326 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

it really sucks to be krillin in the dbz movies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Some Numbers posted:

Gohan peed on Krillin's head and into his mouth.

Oh. My mistake, I was going off memory. Maybe they should throw John Toei (founder and president of Toei) into jail.

the culminator
Oct 29, 2012
Was Goku having a naked bath with Goten and Trunks and then exposing himself to them also a toei thing?

What kind of people are running this company

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

The crimes of Toei are various and endless. In GT when they were liberated to do as they liked, they became insane, and sentient butt pliers happened.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

But vegetas moustache also happened. Toei did nothing wrong

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

the culminator posted:

Was Goku having a naked bath with Goten and Trunks and then exposing himself to them also a toei thing?

communal baths are a japanese thing

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

the culminator posted:

what episode was this?

the culminator
Oct 29, 2012

Kild posted:

what episode was this?

One of the post buu episodes before the 10 year time skip.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Namtab posted:

But vegetas moustache also happened. Toei did nothing wrong

The GT main character designs, including Vegeta's moustache, were made by Toriyama. Toei cannot be praised for them.

In reverse, they also can't be blamed for Trunks' terrible outfit. Seriously, who the hell thought that looked good?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Blaze Dragon posted:

The GT main character designs, including Vegeta's moustache, were made by Toriyama. Toei cannot be praised for them.

In reverse, they also can't be blamed for Trunks' terrible outfit. Seriously, who the hell thought that looked good?

Which trunks? Are you mocking Future Trunk's balla jacket?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Covok posted:

Which trunks? Are you mocking Future Trunk's balla jacket?

I'm talking of GT. What Trunks do you think I'm on?

I think even changing the shorts to full pants would help the design. It wouldn't save it, but it'd look slightly less terrible.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Blaze Dragon posted:

Wait, Toriyama was really responsible for Super Saiyan 4?

What the gently caress Toriyama did you get high on paint?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

ImpAtom posted:

Wait, Toriyama was really responsible for Super Saiyan 4?

What the gently caress Toriyama did you get high on paint?

Super Saiyan 4 was not designed by Toriyama, but by Toei Animation's character designer Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru.

That said, he liked it enough to draw it himself:

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Blaze Dragon posted:

Super Saiyan 4 was not designed by Toriyama, but by Toei Animation's character designer Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru.

That said, he liked it enough to draw it himself:

It's liberating, strangely, to know Super Sayian 4 wasn't even designed by Toriyama.

the culminator
Oct 29, 2012
Tbh I like the fact that ssj4 brought it back to saiyan roots. I wish the saiyans still had tails. For me 4 > 3 aesthetically (though neither of them are even close to the GOAT form, SSJ2)

Don't know bout the leather pants and eyeliner tho.

the culminator fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Jan 16, 2016

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
SSJ3 was made specifically to mock transformations right?

Because it's just so goofy looking.

Mind you, by that point being a SSJ turned your hair into a pine cone, so you know.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
There wasn't really a problem with transformations until SSJ3 pushed it into parodic territory. Or rather, instead of just mocking transformations it specifically created the "super saiyan 3, 4, 5, 6, 7" thing, since before that 2 was just Gohan's Uber-Chosen-One form.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Honestly, for me, it was more like...

If you go back and look at Gohan when he first ascends, his hair looks A LOT like Goku's does when he first went SSJ.

It's like, he was a SSJ yeah, but he hadn't really let go of his rage and THAT was his real SSJ form. Gohan wasn't a real SSJ until 16 died, which is why his hair barely changed.

Then, yeah, 3 rolled up and made it just an RPG joke and opened the door to all of the future bullshit.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Burkion posted:

Honestly, for me, it was more like...

If you go back and look at Gohan when he first ascends, his hair looks A LOT like Goku's does when he first went SSJ.

It's like, he was a SSJ yeah, but he hadn't really let go of his rage and THAT was his real SSJ form. Gohan wasn't a real SSJ until 16 died, which is why his hair barely changed.

Then, yeah, 3 rolled up and made it just an RPG joke and opened the door to all of the future bullshit.

There is IIRC some stuff from between Cell and Buu where they basically just referred to Gohan's SSJ form as his full potential unlocked and not a brand new form that was probably the intended idea and then Toriyama changed it/got bored/was told to add more SSJs/something

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Prior to SSJ3, both Goku and Vegeta had achieved SSJ2 and they fought each other with it.

Though they were still calling it "ascended Saiyan."

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

They were calling it Gohan's Rage or w/e. I remember it in Legacy of Goku 2.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Either way the franchise would be much poorer without SS3

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Manatee Cannon posted:

it really sucks to be krillin in the dbz movies

Only if it's a movie where he is not married to Android 18.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

the culminator posted:

Tbh I like the fact that ssj4 brought it back to saiyan roots. I wish the saiyans still had tails. For me 4 > 3 aesthetically (though neither of them are even close to the GOAT form, SSJ2)

Don't know bout the leather pants and eyeliner tho.

3 was originally going to have a tail in one of the concepts for it.

Also a reminder, Super Saiyan 2 was originally called Super Saiyan (Grade) 5, following the naming scheme of the previous "bulked up (2)," "roid rage (3)," and "effortlessly maintaining (4)" variants on Super Saiyan.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

projecthalaxy posted:

Oh. I don't speak Japanese. It is weird that they haven't dubbed it though. I guess for the last couple years they have been busy with RoF and BoG.

I think they're waiting for Toonami to catch up, honestly

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

Burkion posted:

SSJ3 was made specifically to mock transformations right?

Because it's just so goofy looking.

Mind you, by that point being a SSJ turned your hair into a pine cone, so you know.

It's weird. I remember anime makes the first SSJ3 transformation very dramatic and awe-inspiring. I thought it was so cool when I was a kid. But reading the manga as an adult, it definitely seems like a joke.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
I'm sure this has been posted before, but...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwJU5DKdM6s

Still better than Dragonball Evolution.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

RickVoid posted:

I'm sure this has been posted before, but...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwJU5DKdM6s

Still better than Dragonball Evolution.

Why did they have to shove in the stupid Superman stuff

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
This FF7 abridged thing is legitimately making like final fantasy 7 less

Covok
May 27, 2013

Baal posted:

This FF7 abridged thing is legitimately making like final fantasy 7 less

Liking FF 7 is a mistake.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I swear to god Tifa just made 6 prison rape jokes in the span of 3 minutes which has to be some sort of talent.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Only if it's a movie where he is not married to Android 18.

at least two of those have broly in it, so idk man

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

im gonna break baals spirit

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Namtab and I made it through six episodes before stopping and each one of them was loving horrible. In two weeks we're gonna watch the next half because I am not doing all 10 in one day or in a week, I need a drat break.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

big abridged anime lover

Covok
May 27, 2013

Frankly, the only abridged series that isn't poo poo is Dragonball Z abridged and the first season is bad regardless.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It was like watching an episode of Family Guy. Everyone just kept shouting mean things at each other in increasingly annoying tones and then the author avatar showed up to have a monologue for no reason whatsoever and then about 80 different rape jokes occurred and Chris Sabat was there for some reason.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Baal posted:

It was like watching an episode of Family Guy. Everyone just kept shouting mean things at each other in increasingly annoying tones and then the author avatar showed up to have a monologue for no reason whatsoever and then about 80 different rape jokes occurred and Chris Sabat was there for some reason.

smh if you don't like jokes like "dont gently caress up cloud" and "shoulder deep"

Covok
May 27, 2013

StrifeHira posted:

3 was originally going to have a tail in one of the concepts for it.

Also a reminder, Super Saiyan 2 was originally called Super Saiyan (Grade) 5, following the naming scheme of the previous "bulked up (2)," "roid rage (3)," and "effortlessly maintaining (4)" variants on Super Saiyan.

The tail makes SSJ3 less stupid looking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
When they first did the name gag for Cloud I groaned and then it dawned on me that they were going to do the "Aeris/Aerith" gag when they got around to naming her and they loving did exactly that.

Covok posted:

Frankly, the only abridged series that isn't poo poo is Dragonball Z abridged and the first season is bad regardless.

No, DBZ is pretty lovely half of the time, but that's a better success rate than most of them. The only other abridged series I actually enjoy is Yugioh abridged, I'd rather watch it than this poo poo though even if it is bad on a rewatch, that's for sure.

• Locked thread