Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Why would you censor queen.

EDIT: Beseech the *****.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

pointsofdata posted:

Tron is $1200, 600 tix online.

How do people start playing modern...

By buying it when it was 250$ 3 years ago

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Why would you censor queen.

For the same reason "brown" is censored

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon

pointsofdata posted:

Why would anyone want to play modern is the more important question

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

pointsofdata posted:

Because if you buy now, it'll only double next year! Buy buy buy!!!

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

TheKingofSprings posted:

By buying it when it was 250$ 3 years ago

If magic cards are a bad investment why is my collection worth 300% more than it was in 2013?

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Tron was actually the most budget Modern deck ages ago, it was very cheap

edit: On MODO.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

GeneX posted:

Golgari *****scale

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

People getting upset about the Twin ban completely baffle me. 90% of the deck's value is in the lands and snapcasters, which aren't going anywhere and can just be slotted into grixis control or something.

Twin has had it coming for a long drat time, the only thing to be upset about is that it didn't happen sooner tbh.

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

suicidesteve posted:

There's 2 ways. Already have the cards or buy the cards in the 3 day time frame between a new deck being discovered and everything in it tripling in price.

Me and my buddy already went to the stores this morning at open to catch pre-spike prices on the last pieces of r/g tron that he needed. He is lucky to already have U tron fully built.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

***** Ouphe.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

pointsofdata posted:

Some formats are harder to get into than others.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Cross posting this from the buying/selling thread because it's kiiiiind of a general question:

Haven't played in two years, go to the pre-release today and popped a Wasteland. Normally I just trade stuff back into the store if it's worth under twenty bucks, but this is the first time I've ever opened a real money card. Currently listed on star city games for jesus christ 300 bucks.

Question 1: Why the gently caress is this card priced that high? I know cards that gently caress with lands are valuable, but the old version of it only costs 70 bucks. Are full art foils really that premium?

Question 2: Is it legal to sell this yet? I don't see why not, but it seems like most of the online sites are just doing pre-orders on it and not shipping it until the sets officially released next week. Is the resale market allowed to break the street date by selling stuff they've got from a pre-release? I don't see why not, but just double checking.

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Bad Moons, Bad Moons, wot ya gonna do?

Went 1/2/1 in my Prerelease today. Ended up in r/w because they were literally the only colours I had anything remotely decent in. The uncommon 4/3 in red that makes temporary 3/3 elementals from lands with its landfall was probably mvp.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

attackmole posted:

Cross posting this from the buying/selling thread because it's kiiiiind of a general question:

Haven't played in two years, go to the pre-release today and popped a Wasteland. Normally I just trade stuff back into the store if it's worth under twenty bucks, but this is the first time I've ever opened a real money card. Currently listed on star city games for jesus christ 300 bucks.

Question 1: Why the gently caress is this card priced that high? I know cards that gently caress with lands are valuable, but the old version of it only costs 70 bucks. Are full art foils really that premium?

Question 2: Is it legal to sell this yet? I don't see why not, but it seems like most of the online sites are just doing pre-orders on it and not shipping it until the sets officially released next week. Is the resale market allowed to break the street date by selling stuff they've got from a pre-release? I don't see why not, but just double checking.
1: It's very rare and no non-promo foil wastelands existed until now. There's a lot of demand from people who want to foil out their decks.
2. Of course it is. Most stores are doing preorders because they aren't getting any product in to open/sell until the release. Prerelease openings are the only source for OGW cards at the moment.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

attackmole posted:

The cheapest available printing of Brainstorm is about a buck on SCG - it's been reprinted a bunch, but it holds widespread appeal for casual and legacy. The most expensive printing? $200. Rare foils carry an absolutely insane mark-up to the sort of people who are willing to buy Legacy cards in the first place.

As far as #2, I believe it's because they're not actually allowed to open their own stock until Release.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

GeneX posted:

The question still stands and is in fact doubled because lol wtf

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

attackmole posted:

The promo foils are pretty close to $200 already, so 200-300 shouldn't be all that surprising for the expedition

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Cool, thanks guys.

Minority Deport
Mar 28, 2010

Yawgmoth posted:

The question still stands and is in fact doubled because lol wtf

Opinion seems to be split between them putting a hilariously over-elaborate slur filter on the chat and it being some kind of bug. Worth says it's a bug, but it's one that's been around for more than a month at this point.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Minority Deport posted:

Opinion seems to be split between them putting a hilariously over-elaborate slur filter on the chat and it being some kind of bug. Worth says it's a bug, but it's one that's been around for more than a month at this point.
With MTGO being what it is, being around for over a month is not really evidence that it isn't a bug. Gemini engine is still so broken they removed it from darksteel packs for the flashback drafts. I think that's been true for at least a year.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I

attackmole posted:

I was going to sadly inform you that you didn't crack a Wasteland, but rather a Waste land, but then I remembered expeditions. Nice pull.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Yeah, I got mad lucky. Didn't let it out of my sight because it got some oooh's and awww's from the rest of the crowd when they noticed I had it, and I'm honestly more worried about sketchy nerds stealing my poo poo than pretty much any other demographic.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Blue/Red surge was brilliant fun. I can only hope Roiling Waters will be as good in draft as it was in sealed (of course it won't)

I chickened out from playing Pyromancer's Assault, though.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Rinkles posted:

I chickened out from playing Pyromancer's Assault, though.

I really don't think it's a card. Too much effort to get enough out of it, I'd want three Shocks before I'd be happy about having played it and that's no easy feat.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
My prerelease deck was so loving busted lmao.

2x Nissa, Voice of Zendikar
3x Oath of Jace (I only played one, but got scry value all day long)
1x Guardian of Tazeem
1x Nissa's Renewal (this is busted beyond belief with the Guardian)

I basically won like 50% of games by just dropping Nissa turn 3.

I lost one game all day, to a guy splashing Dragonmaster Outcast while I kept a 5 lander.

The top tables coincidentally had 4 out of 6 players who had Nissa in their deck. I went 5-0 with 2. Card is dumb in limited.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Jan 17, 2016

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
Opened Kozilek, Chandra and Omnath and enough R/G support to go 3-1. Saw back to back Kozileks being played. A fair and balanced format

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

The SituAsian posted:

Opened Kozilek, Chandra and Omnath and enough R/G support to go 3-1. Saw back to back Kozileks being played. A fair and balanced format

I had a relatively good pool, but I really liked the format. Feels very powerful. Surge is awesome. Colorless mana stuff is great.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
I'd agree that the colorless stuff feels great. One of the most fun mechanics in a long time and feels really "Eldrazi" in a way that doesn't turn the format into Rise or something.

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
Rumors of eternal masters this summer starting to make their way to the Internet.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

born on a buy you posted:

Rumors of eternal masters this summer starting to make their way to the Internet.

Vintage Masters except with nothing on the reserved list. Sounds good.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Colorless is awesome, yeah. It adds a great layer to the whole limited experience; you have to think about it during deckbuilding, then think about it as you play.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

born on a buy you posted:

Oh nice. I could use more FOWs. Could never have enough FOWs.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

I'm super curious about the colorless will work out in draft. It was super smooth for me in sealed, But I opened double Kozilek's Channeler, a whatever of Geometries, and the mana rock/scryer+1 waste, red spell land, and the ETB one of any color land. I was only paying activated abilities and not casting costs so it worked great.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

I actually had a conversation today with a real life "Reserved list is good", "Expensive modern is good" opinion-haver today. It was like talking to somebody from Mars - his argument was "You get into these formats the same way I did, by playing for years and trading up in to them! By buying cards smarter!" etc etc etc. He didn't seem to get that not everyone has been playing magic for a decade.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Hey man, if you can't tell your twelve year old self to invest in dual lands, I don't know what to tell you.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Alaan posted:

Hey man, if you can't tell your twelve year old self to invest in dual lands, I don't know what to tell you.

I still hate 8-year-old me for not having $400 to buy that Alpha Lotus. And also for never owning any duals because why would I spend $10 for an Island Swamp when regular Islands are pretty much free?

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Before my 20 year hiatus I had traded into a beta time vault, and I have no idea where I put it or what happened to it :(

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Alaan posted:

I paid fifteen dollars for a bunch of duals as a teenager, then got bored and gave all my stuff away :negative:

also had a Lion's Eye Diamond which was worth approximately zero dollars at the time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Alaan posted:

I was 3 when Revised came out.

• Locked thread