Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
i dont think i ever did. u?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

maybe a couple times but the discs were expensive and most of the time the process just turned them into coasters

Aix
Jul 6, 2006
$10
tried a few times on dvr, coming from vhs. the recorders dvd drive broke first though lol

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008
REUSING discs? take it to the 5 figgy thread

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
it never worked right when i tried and you couldn't use it for isos so it wasnt that useful

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

just buy more dvd-r discs

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
yeah for the price of a rw back then you could just buy a lot of r's

pram
Jun 10, 2001
nope

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
like 3 times but they only let you rewrite them once or twice at best

Satellit3
Oct 21, 2008

Celexi posted:

yeah for the price of a rw back then you could just buy a lot of r's

yea that was the trick. we always made sure to have a 5pack of cdrw and later, dvdrw hanging around for "when we needed them" which turned out to be never

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
+rw or -rw

pram
Jun 10, 2001
i burned a lot of goddamn cds to play in my car, and theyd be labeled like 'cool mix 2' with all the latest linkin park and nin

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
I would bet money if I went through my things I'd find all the free ones they'd include with a new cd burner still in the shrink wrap.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

pram posted:

i burned a lot of goddamn cds to play in my car, and theyd be labeled like 'cool mix 2' with all the latest linkin park and nin

same but stream rips of tags trance and groove salad

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
I had a discman that played cd-rw discs so I reused those a lot.

moosemanmoo
Jan 6, 2007
R the Reply that his life was in danger
for a few months all of my burned mix cds had either take california or sandstorm as track 1. never liked carrying a cd purse so i tried to put everything i thought i wanted on one cd

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!
i rewrote some cd-rws when i tried to burn to vcd to play on the dvd player but it always came out as a stuttering mess

pram
Jun 10, 2001
your video codec is a piece of poo poo :razz: :holy:

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

suffix posted:

i rewrote some cd-rws when i tried to burn to vcd to play on the dvd player but it always came out as a stuttering mess

hell yeah, i remember buying some vcds with the full dragonball gt collection when i was like 8, from the guy that worked at the after school club

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

pram posted:

yeah same except poo poo like Dave Matthews band and red hot chili peppers.

they skipped A LOT because aftermarket car CD players in tyool 1999 were poo poo

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
no, op

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless
huh, I don't think I ever did.

I also only had one or two CD-RWs, and I RW'd the hell out of them.

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

i remember when my dad sat me dow and explained that you couldn't save to CDs but soon anyone would be able to get special CDs with a special drive and save to them

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
never op

maybe a cdrw once or twice

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Korean Boomhauer posted:

REUSING discs? take it to the 5 figgy thread

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

dvd-ram supremacy

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Valeyard posted:

+rw or -rw

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

i spent $200 on a new discman when I was like 15 so I could RW my mix CDs. old one couldnt read RWs and was fat

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
i rw'ed a cdrw once

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

hmm... uh maybe like once or twice

probably when i first got a dvd burner and was like woah lets rewrite this dvd

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Never, not even for my mp3 cd player with 15 second buffer technology

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord
in highschool a friend and i rewrote the same cd-rw back and forth to trade the hottest 128kbps trance mp3s

but yeah i don't think i ever did it with dvds. that whole clusterfuck with +RW-RAM made the whole thing p unappealing. even early in university when i didn't have reliable internet access at home and kept losing my cutting edge 128 & 256mb usb drives like an idiot, i mostly used cd-rs or dvd-rs and just added files as an extra session if i wanted to take home some sick photoshop phriday jpegs i'd downloaded from something awful dot com. (i think my zip drive had finally given in to the sweet release of click death by then)

now i have a bluray+-whatever drive in my posting rig but i rarely even need it even to read a dvd or cd, i've literally never owned a bluray disc except for the 1 sample writeable one still in its shrinkwrap

GoldenTeeth
Jun 3, 2013

I'm the pensive looking one on the left. That's me. I'm doing serious business in there. Look at me go.
I used to burn DVD rws w archives of games I wanted to play but didn't have space for at the time and didn't want to spend days redownloading

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

yes op

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

jony ive aces posted:

that whole clusterfuck with +RW-RAM made the whole thing p unappealing

lol i remember arguing online about dvd-r vs dvd+r

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

jony ive aces posted:

in highschool a friend and i rewrote the same cd-rw back and forth to trade the hottest 128kbps trance mp3s

but yeah i don't think i ever did it with dvds. that whole clusterfuck with +RW-RAM made the whole thing p unappealing. even early in university when i didn't have reliable internet access at home and kept losing my cutting edge 128 & 256mb usb drives like an idiot, i mostly used cd-rs or dvd-rs and just added files as an extra session if i wanted to take home some sick photoshop phriday jpegs i'd downloaded from something awful dot com. (i think my zip drive had finally given in to the sweet release of click death by then)

now i have a bluray+-whatever drive in my posting rig but i rarely even need it even to read a dvd or cd, i've literally never owned a bluray disc except for the 1 sample writeable one still in its shrinkwrap

few years ago I had to read a disc and my disc drive was busted and I bought a new ± drive and was like "this is the last optical disc drive I will buy"

so far the prediction has held true.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

I have used floppies numerous times in the past month

I don't even know when I last used a disc was. multiple years. maybe many years

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Samuel L. ACKSYN posted:

lol i remember arguing online about dvd-r vs dvd+r

what the hell was the difference anyway? i remember somehow deciding that +R was the one to get but i have no idea why

funny how today i basically treat CDs/DVDs like floppies, old garbage that's a complete PITA

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

SO DEMANDING posted:

what the hell was the difference anyway? i remember somehow deciding that +R was the one to get but i have no idea why

funny how today i basically treat CDs/DVDs like floppies, old garbage that's a complete PITA

nah floppies are useful while optical media is not

• Locked thread