Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Spaseman posted:

Is there any way to transfer power from a battery on a large ship to a station that the ship is not docked to? I landed on an earth-like planet and built a base next to where I landed and I could really use the power still stored in the ships batteries but I've torn down too much of the ship to fly it anywhere but it is just sitting right next to my base.

Not really. Maybe strip out the ship around your batteries until you have something that can fly to the base and dock onto a connector?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
Make a small hoverbot with atmos engines and a landing foot to grab the battery and merge it to the station :science:

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice

Spookydonut posted:

I prefer the one that converts stone into gravel and small amounts of every ore that still need refining
Can you link that one? Workshop browsing breaks me inside.

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf
I am obsessed with making ridiculous land vehicles in this game. It's been a real learning experience figuring out what works and what doesn't. That being said, I've finally built something that I'm not totally ashamed of:

I give you the Terrapin Heavy MPCV (Multi-Purpose Cargo Vehicle). It's 112 thousand kilograms of fun!

It can carry a bit under 1 million liters of cargo, limited flight/hover capabilities, a sumptuous high-visibility cabin with dynamic LCDs, a built in projector for easy repairs, bottom mounted ejectors, as well as ground-accessible cargo access points.

It's also got a multi-purpose adapter mounted to the back, for various things. So far I've built a drill rig:

The drill rig sports a pair of earthbreaker drills mounted on long-stroke pistons affixed to independent advanced rotors. As long as you go nice and slow you can drag them through the terrain. I'm thinking of trying to gouge out a dong you can see from orbit.

Here it is in action.

The vehicle itself is remarkably stable, I've managed to get it up to 400 km/h on nice flat terrain, but it handles rougher terrain fine at about 60-100 km/h. I adjust the suspension on the fly to suit the terrain, and back it up with a bunch of gyros with the strength dialed up/down depending on the amount of ore it's carrying.

I'm not sure how much it can fly with, but it zips around really well when unladen, so probably a good amount. I'm using the Dusty Atmospheric thrusters that don't take a lot of power, but only function in oxygen rich environments. I'm pretty proud of it, as it's actually usable instead of most of my other creations, which tended to not be.

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.
Slap a connector on the ship, and build a connector on a piston attached to a rotor and futz it into position? Or just slap a few atmospheric thrusters on the ship and scoot it into place?

Edit: Evilreaver's idea is probably the best. :)

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Initially panned Space Engineers because it seemed overcomplicated for little benefit at the time.

Then I picked up Empyrion and it seems strikingly similar to this game. After reading through the whole thread it seems rather a toss up.

Empyrion looks like it has the better survival gameplay.
Space Engineers seems to have the better crafting/vehicle/connecting gameplay (I went and made a mini carrier, a drop ship, and a tank in Empyrion but docking is weird with hover vehicles and you can only dock stuff to capital vessels. Also vehicle mounted tools seem pretty cool.)

Thus, since the lack of certain features/tweaks has cooled my Empyrion jets a bit I'm curious about this game.

How's the learning curve? Is it decently intuitive?

Main reason I'm asking is because I already have ideas percolating from looking at Neddy's Avalon but I have a hard time tracing the conveyors (how do the main magazine's reload? Are they even designed to be reloaded?) and mucking with timing/programming blocks to make a ships core/lcd panel stuff may help me with coding in general.

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Jan 13, 2016

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

EponymousMrYar posted:

How's the learning curve? Is it decently intuitive?

It can be a bit of a hump, but once you know what you're doing, you're set. There's also a proper set of playable tutorials now that will teach you all the basics you need to get you started.

EponymousMrYar posted:

Main reason I'm asking is because I already have ideas percolating from looking at Neddy's Avalon but I have a hard time tracing the conveyors (how do the main magazine's reload? Are they even designed to be reloaded?) and mucking with timing/programming blocks to make a ships core/lcd panel stuff may help me with coding in general.

It uses a combination of DT's Interior Conveyors to run connections through the floor, and Sektan's Interior Walls (in the newer Mk.3 version at least) to create multiple redundant pathways through the ship. You practically need to saw the entire thing in half to detach all the lines, and even then you'll likely have both halves still shooting at you due to secondary magazines.

If you want to stick a small-block processing core into your own ship, Here's a sample pure-vanilla version of the Avalon's core to give you some ideas.

lilspooky
Mar 21, 2006
Is this game still DOA as far as multiplayer is concerned?

Is it possible to actually have a decent fight or is it just "spam rockets" at each other?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

lilspooky posted:

Is this game still DOA as far as multiplayer is concerned?

Is it possible to actually have a decent fight or is it just "spam rockets" at each other?

A proper Multiplayer build (ie; not rushed in the span of a few weeks to have something working) is their next Big Thing on the table. Also there's a fair variety of turrets and guns on the Workshop now, with a few of the more common ones linked in the OP.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It can be a bit of a hump, but once you know what you're doing, you're set. There's also a proper set of playable tutorials now that will teach you all the basics you need to get you started.

It uses a combination of DT's Interior Conveyors to run connections through the floor, and Sektan's Interior Walls (in the newer Mk.3 version at least) to create multiple redundant pathways through the ship. You practically need to saw the entire thing in half to detach all the lines, and even then you'll likely have both halves still shooting at you due to secondary magazines.

If you want to stick a small-block processing core into your own ship, Here's a sample pure-vanilla version of the Avalon's core to give you some ideas.
Alright, guess I'll see about running those.

I was already planning on snagging the processing core and WASP to figure out my own versions so thanks for the link!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

EponymousMrYar posted:

Alright, guess I'll see about running those.

I was already planning on snagging the processing core and WASP to figure out my own versions so thanks for the link!

Modular stuff is really simple, and kinda surprised more people don't do it projector-style on the Workshop. All you need is a Projector, a Merge Block (I recommend the 1x1x1 versions in the Small Ship Mega Mod) and a Connector. Align your pod blueprint(s) with the paired connections on the core ship, and call it a day. If you're gonna poke at some of my modular stuff, I recommend the W.A.S.P. Hawk Starfighter in particular, as it's got a decent range of general-use pods and modpacks used. That and it'll show you how to use a single blueprint to store a paired set of wing-mounted pods.

I also really recommend using a Timer to detach them (unless you're only using Merge Blocks) by unlocking the connector and turning it off before the merge blocks, because there's some funky coding there that can cause them to spontaneously lock if you just turn them all off.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

LegoMan posted:

Can you link that one? Workshop browsing breaks me inside.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=509687242&searchtext=stone

It breaks me inside too.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Spookydonut posted:

I prefer the one that converts stone into gravel and small amounts of every ore that still need refining

I made mine to get rid of gravel.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

GotLag posted:

I made mine to get rid of gravel.

You still need some gravel for making reactor components, iirc.

lilspooky
Mar 21, 2006

Neddy Seagoon posted:

A proper Multiplayer build (ie; not rushed in the span of a few weeks to have something working) is their next Big Thing on the table. Also there's a fair variety of turrets and guns on the Workshop now, with a few of the more common ones linked in the OP.

That's good to know, I'll keep an eye on this then.

My question about the base weapons is that in a lot of vids I see, some guy makes a really cool ship. He then says words to the affect of "lemme show you its firepower!". He spawns in another ship and then usually his ship rapid fires a ridiculous hail of rockets at the other vessel and it blows up pretty quick. I know there are a lot of cool mod weapons and people have done crazy stuff like design guided missiles, kinetic kill devices, or what have you with in-game resources. I was just wondering if there's something I'm missing or what your opinion was about how multiplayer battles might go?

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You still need some gravel for making reactor components, iirc.

Yeah, I can turn it off when I want to make reactor bits. Or (as I'm planning to do) use Automated Inventory Sorting to keep a gravel buffer in cargo (in addition to the buffer in my assemblers).

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

lilspooky posted:

That's good to know, I'll keep an eye on this then.

My question about the base weapons is that in a lot of vids I see, some guy makes a really cool ship. He then says words to the affect of "lemme show you its firepower!". He spawns in another ship and then usually his ship rapid fires a ridiculous hail of rockets at the other vessel and it blows up pretty quick. I know there are a lot of cool mod weapons and people have done crazy stuff like design guided missiles, kinetic kill devices, or what have you with in-game resources. I was just wondering if there's something I'm missing or what your opinion was about how multiplayer battles might go?

Multiplayer battles are logistically probably only ever going to turn into Battlestar slugging matches (Vipers Starfighters and all, if you bring friends along), save for the few workshop mod weapons with firing ranges of multiple kilometers. It's why my ships are designed to sit and eat a beating while dishing one out. And then auto-regenerate most of the key damaged components afterwards.

Turkina_Prime
Oct 26, 2013

Anyone else getting problems with the server crashing when grinding down objects in multiplayer? Friend hosted a dedicated on his box with no mods and fresh start on Solar System. The moment we start grinding down our atmospheric lander, it kicks everyone out saying "The host has left the game" and the server crashes too.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Adventures in low-effort modding continue:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=599569888

Quick mod to change hydrogen thruster flames to a blue-white colour, and change player jetpack to match.

Jigoku San
Feb 2, 2003

Today's Update.

Update 01.117 - Roadmap, Bug-fixes posted:

Summary
For this week we prepared a roadmap highlighting the future plans for both of our games. It covers everything that will be implemented in the coming months for Space Engineers and Medieval Engineers. Follow the link to Marek’s blog for more details: http://blog.marekrosa.org/2016/01/the-ksh-roadmap-for-2016-space_14.html
We also released a brand new modding guide for creating mount-points in Space Engineers. Today's update also brings a new batch of bug fixes like physics crashes, sensor lag, improved gameplay experience and performance when copying and pasting objects.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73QfBBJqojQ

Features
- Stations can now be pasted into voxels

Official Modding Guide - Mountpoints
This is the official guide for creating mount-points in Space Engineers. Mount-points determine areas where each block can be attached to another: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=581270158

Fixes
- fixed paste lag
- fixed crashes in Havok
- fixed crashes with rotors
- fixed sensor lags servers
- fixed bags not despawning
- fixed oxygen not depleting after exiting cockpit/medical room
- fixed projector remembering its components in inventories
- fixed cannot paint "Passage Way" block in DX9
- fixed volume being too loud
- fixed automatic rifle particle effect size
- fixed shooting sound not synchronized

The road map seems to address the issues people have currently, but I guess it remains to be seen how much and how well things get done. If there's no more big feature adds I'm cautiously optimistic about it.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
Man all I want is the ability to customize the ship readout window. I know if my spotlights are on or not, or if my landing gears are attached, and I don't need to know how many gyros I have. Let me pick which infos are shown (or at least make them context-sensative). Grr.

Also programming block documentation/api

64bitrobot
Apr 20, 2009

Likes to Lurk

Evilreaver posted:

Man all I want is the ability to customize the ship readout window. I know if my spotlights are on or not, or if my landing gears are attached, and I don't need to know how many gyros I have. Let me pick which infos are shown (or at least make them context-sensative). Grr.

Also programming block documentation/api

I honestly want a much more cutomizable UI. I'd love to be able to be able to remotely run things from my hot bar too. Like be able to set up one of the keys to say 'If this ship is in range, do something with this block' without having to go throughout the entire menu.

Jigoku San
Feb 2, 2003

I want advanced customizable controls. Like if I want my vehicle to function like a plane, with a real throttle or even helicopter style controls without having to bind overrides to the hotbar.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
I'm having trouble with my small construction craft crashing me to desktop every time I trigger the one-click docking timer. Anyone else having similar issues?

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
http://forums.keenswh.com/threads/space-engineers-the-good-the-bad-and-the-ugly.7378220/

Dragonspride posted:

So I have 1696 hours playing this game, and we have developed a love and hate relationship. I originally bought this game for the potential I see in it, It is more to me, than just minecraft in space. And it has been a bumpy ride, For the past 6 months this game has had a very bad reputation, Its community is divided between two sides. The side that has shown remarkable patience with the developers and has constantly fought off the "haters" The defend and rightfully so that this game is in early access development, and see it only as a game that is being developed. There is more to this side but I am remarkably biased against it.

Then their is our side, We agree that space engineers is in early access development, but we feel that when we purchased this product there was a promise given to us, and that promise we feel has been forgotten. We feel that yes while this game was purchased at a very low cost we have invested lots of time, in this game. Call it arrogance if you like, but as with both sides we love this game, we see remarkable potential from this developer. But we have felt that keen has given up, to the extent that they expect the moders to finish it. The same as back in the day Electronic Arts (correction Ubisoft, Thank you Mix-martes86) did with Silent Hunter 5. And the same as with the last game keen developed.

GotLag posted:

Who's 'we'? What's 'our side'?

Dragonspride posted:

Ok, are you seriously trying to bait me with this? The side of the space engineers community that has lost patience with both this game, and this community, The side who after all I said, you claim ignorance of. The 2000 pluss members who have lost interest in the constant bullshit that happens ever week due to a untested patch. And my justification? My Basic Human Rights

My Basic Human Rights :argh:

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
official forums are the worst for any game, there are no exceptions

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Steam forums are worse.

Now, when the official forum is the Steam forum, that is the worst.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
I don't think I've ever gone to a games official forums.

They're... unhealthy, and save for very specific bug fixing, unhelpful.

Faux-Ass Nonsense
Feb 9, 2013

by Lowtax
So what's going on with those grants KSH was offering to folks who want to do a total conversions of this game? Will that be going ahead once it's feature-complete? There's so much potential here for all kinds of cool hard sci-fi universes, plus a huge pool of talent judging by the Workshop. You can kinda see the beginnings of one with all the fictional manufacturers (Azimuth & so on), but I can't wait for a cohesive effort once the game is easier to mod.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

GotLag posted:

I'm having trouble with my small construction craft crashing me to desktop every time I trigger the one-click docking timer. Anyone else having similar issues?

Just tried docking and undocking the Albatross's hullriding shuttle and it worked just fine. What's the timer actually doing?

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
I've sent the world to Keen and they've reproduced it, but I think it's limited to that save. The same small ship blueprint in a new creative game doesn't crash. I did note that save had some duplicate/interfering items* before the latest update, and a few other people were complaining about that on the forums. I'm guessing it's some localised corruption from last week's bug.

* some inventory items would become bugged and behave in odd ways, for example a certain stack of ore might get mixed up with a stack of steel tubes, and double-clicking or dragging the tubes would move the ore instead

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Never got around to trying before now, but turns out the Albatross' hull divot actually does have enough room for a Kestrel with wing pods. I figured at least the Warblers were going to clip into the sloped edge ever so slightly.

Think I'm going to mount a Warbler drone and a set of hand-loaded rocket pods as the shuttle's equipment, just for a general exploration/shoot-the-pirates loadout seeing as it lacks a turret.

GotLag posted:

I've sent the world to Keen and they've reproduced it, but I think it's limited to that save. The same small ship blueprint in a new creative game doesn't crash. I did note that save had some duplicate/interfering items* before the latest update, and a few other people were complaining about that on the forums. I'm guessing it's some localised corruption from last week's bug.

* some inventory items would become bugged and behave in odd ways, for example a certain stack of ore might get mixed up with a stack of steel tubes, and double-clicking or dragging the tubes would move the ore instead

Oooh, fun. Hope that hasn't corrupted any of my saves :ohdear:.

Red Mike
Jul 11, 2011

GotLag posted:

That looks like a UI bug if anything. The item you start dragging sets some values (like the max number in the right click drag menu), but the actual item it tries to move ends up being something different entirely. If the UI code is as bloated as they say, it could be something as simple as different bits of the code using different offsets for whatever reason.

I found a workaround which is to add a bunch of cargo containers attached to it and to start dragging from the broken one to the other ones. All the items in the other cargo containers should be fine until you reach some arbitrary number of them. Use these cargo containers to stack all of them together into bigger stacks, then put them back. Very time consuming, though, so I've started just making sure everything is stacked neatly from the start, and using different containers for different things.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
One nice little undocumented change this week; KSH did something right and fixed it so newly-built/placed Batteries default to the general charge/discharge state instead of Recharge.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

i imagine this has been said already, but the minimum system requirements for this game are total bullshit. it says you need a at least a 8800 but I have a GTX 650 Ti and can't play at all. usually it just hangs at the loading screen for 20 minutes, but when i do get into the game the framerate sucks, even in outer space and on lowest settings. and changing the settings often breaks the game too.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Hotfix dropped a few hours back, no notes yet but I'm not getting connector crashes any more :buddy:

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

PleasureKevin posted:

i imagine this has been said already, but the minimum system requirements for this game are total bullshit. it says you need a at least a 8800 but I have a GTX 650 Ti and can't play at all. usually it just hangs at the loading screen for 20 minutes, but when i do get into the game the framerate sucks, even in outer space and on lowest settings. and changing the settings often breaks the game too.

This game is a hot mess performance wise

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

PleasureKevin posted:

What are your CPU and RAM?

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

PleasureKevin posted:

The GTX 650 Ti isn't the problem, I used to play this game with a 9800 GTX+.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

I play just fine with a GTX570.

My GT230M can't handle it at all, though.

• Locked thread