Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

joeburz posted:

US doctors have it real rough, you guys are right

Yes, actually, especially if you compare them to the rest of the developed world. Like yea no poo poo a doctor is probably in the 'I live a comfortable life' side of things, and he's miles ahead of some dude in a half hosed up building in Pakistan working with whatever medicine isn't too expired, but yes US doctors are going through years of every expensive school for jobs that aren't keys to instant riches unless they're in the lucky top amount (spoiler, those guys mostly get there by luck/connections). Being a doctor isn't a magic golden ticket to the 1%, the vast majority are dudes doing pretty well for themselves usually saddled with heavy debts and some pretty hard work to maintain it.

Not even going into the utter metric ton of poo poo medical non-doctor jobs have to deal with like nurses and poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
The real reason to be against doctors working so long in their early career is because if the doc workin on ya at the hospital is in hour 24 of their shift, you're way more likely to die.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Hey so you guys remember that weaseley little rear end in a top hat who put up those fake Planned Parenthood vids that led to states trying to pull funding and which instigated firebombs and a terrorist attack against a clinic? He's getting his rear end sued.

quote:

Planned Parenthood filed a lawsuit Thursday against the anti-abortion activists who secretly taped the group's officials talking about the sale of fetal tissue and released the heavily edited videos last year.

The videos sparked a political firestorm in Washington, with Republican lawmakers accusing Planned Parenthood of profiting from the sale and trying unsuccessfully to strip the group of federal funding.

Since the videos began surfacing in July, Planned Parenthood officials have maintained that the group does not profit from its sale of tissue donations to medical research and uses any money received to cover its costs.

And on Thursday, the group said it was going on the offensive against the group who produced the videos, The Center for Medical Progress.

"We are filing this lawsuit to hold accountable the people behind this reckless and malicious smear campaign that was designed only to spread lies about Planned Parenthood," Kathy Kneer, the chief executive of Planned Parenthood Affiliates of California told reporters in a conference call.

The lawsuit, filed in federal district court in San Francisco, alleges that the defendants set up a bogus tissue procurement company and used fake corporate and personal identities to lie their way into private meetings that they illegally taped.

The suit contends the defendants engaged in crimes including wire and mail fraud, invasion of privacy, illegal secret recording and trespassing. It seeks damages and a court order barring the group from entering Planned Parenthood facilities under false pretenses and covertly recording the group's officials and business.

The Center for Medical Progress' David Daleiden called the lawsuit "frivolous" and a "last-ditch move of desperation."

"Game on," he said in a statement. "I look forward to deposing all the CEOs, medical directors, and their co-conspirators who participated in Planned Parenthood's illegal baby body parts racket."

Beth Parker, Planned Parenthood Affiliates of California's chief legal counsel, said Daleidan was "intent on creating a firestorm designed to discredit and destroy Planned Parenthood and end access to reproductive health care."

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

She cannot be serious. We're finally allowing relations to thaw a bit and she wants to go right back to the antagonism?

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lotka Volterra posted:

She cannot be serious. We're finally allowing relations to thaw a bit and she wants to go right back to the antagonism?

Generally I think the issue is the Clinton campaign is trying to swing to the right as a response to Bernie getting higher in the polls, why I have no loving clue.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Lotka Volterra posted:

It worked so well last time! Let's do it again!

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Venom Snake posted:

Generally I think the issue is the Clinton campaign is trying to swing to the right as a response to Bernie getting higher in the polls, why I have no loving clue.

She also hates Iran on a personal level

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Nooo Hillary, turn left!

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Venom Snake posted:

If she keeps making unforced errors like this and loses the primary, I will never stop laughing.

Aves Maria! fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jan 17, 2016

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Lotka Volterra posted:

i mean i kinda get what she means, but its dumb to do it at this second.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lotka Volterra posted:

If she keeps making unenforced errors like this and loses the primary, I will never stop laughing.

I mean I have no clue whats going on at the top level but there are a lot of donors and other people that are a part of the Clinton circle kinda sweating at all the stuff that she and her campaign have been saying lately because it's also going to piss off the current administration.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Venom Snake posted:

I mean I have no clue whats going on at the top level but there are a lot of donors and other people that are a part of the Clinton circle kinda sweating at all the stuff that she and her campaign have been saying lately because it's also going to piss off the current administration.

she might be trying to gets some digs in at obama so she get get some conservative votes.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i mean i kinda get what she means, but its dumb to do it at this second.

Pretty much, like a lot of her stupid moments she's not 100% in that we probably shouldn't pretend Iran is magically our friend now and all, and a lot of the sanctions lifting are the ones that help the wealthy get their poo poo easier and maybe we shouldn't prioritize them in this stuff, she's really loving stupid to trot it out NOW when the narrative is 'see what real diplomacy gets us' and I kinda don't know why she thinks this is the good time to do it.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Dapper_Swindler posted:

she might be trying to gets some digs in at obama so she get get some conservative votes.

Or maybe she really sincerely is more of a hawk like everyone says

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
She has always seemed extremely intelligent and competent, why is she such an amazingly terrible campaigner?

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

Lotka Volterra posted:

If she keeps making unforced errors like this and loses the primary, I will never stop laughing.

President Trump gets likelier by the second....

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Stultus Maximus posted:

She has always seemed extremely intelligent and competent, why is she such an amazingly terrible campaigner?

She reacts very poorly to losing and has enough yes men around her where 'hm maybe we should get some headlines and fight the narrative that I'm Obama 2 by taking some issue with his deal' is met with 'yea, good plan boss' and not 'that sounds real fuckin dumb'.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Stultus Maximus posted:

Being an aggressive politician makes for effective time in office but incredibly bad optics in elections. Also she listens to her inner circle a little to much instead of thinking for herself.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
Nah its really her campaign team has lovely instincts. They think people won't like her for who she is (a wonky nerd) and so we get this.

It's a shame because she's fine when she's not campaigning.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

stinkles1112 posted:

President Trump gets likelier by the second....

As little as they mean this far out, but Trump does worse against Sanders than he does Clinton. I think Sanders steals far more "moderate" republicans than Trump does democrats

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Dapper_Swindler posted:

The sort of people that this tactic would appeal to are only going to interpret it as dishonesty and pandering coming from Hillary.

You think she'd know that by now.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
What does it mean for Obama to have declared a State of Emergency in Flint?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

gradenko_2000 posted:

Federal assets and funds can be used to, say, get the people in the area water that won't cause disease.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Yes, actually, especially if you compare them to the rest of the developed world. Like yea no poo poo a doctor is probably in the 'I live a comfortable life' side of things, and he's miles ahead of some dude in a half hosed up building in Pakistan working with whatever medicine isn't too expired, but yes US doctors are going through years of every expensive school for jobs that aren't keys to instant riches unless they're in the lucky top amount (spoiler, those guys mostly get there by luck/connections). Being a doctor isn't a magic golden ticket to the 1%, the vast majority are dudes doing pretty well for themselves usually saddled with heavy debts and some pretty hard work to maintain it.

Not even going into the utter metric ton of poo poo medical non-doctor jobs have to deal with like nurses and poo poo.

it's a magic golden ticket to the top 10% at worst, and the utter metric ton of poo poo that other medical professionals deal with also comes with salaries a fraction of that amount with significantly more "hard work" on the clock. basically every other job in the US has more impactful issues than the plight of the US MD, despite all the problems with the structure of the medical system.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

gradenko_2000 posted:

I hope it's pointed out over and over and over again how this is a direct result of short sighted tea party policy failures

On a somewhat related note, Kansas is a rolling tirefire at the moment, how long before it becomes the first failed state? Aren't they already raiding accounts set aside from tobacco lawsuits to do public good to prop up their failed economics? Also lots of other terrible things?

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

gradenko_2000 posted:

Agenda 21 is beginning, he's arming the feral thugs and will send them out from Michigan to reshape America in 0bummer's image.

Translation: FEMA will now get involved, additional federal funds will be given to Flint/Michigan to help with the whole lead drinking water thing.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
I get why Hillary is doing it. She already has the nomination in the bag. Have to pivot to the middle for the general.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Mr Hootington posted:

I get why Hillary is doing it. She already has the nomination in the bag. Have to pivot to the middle for the general.

That's not why

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Mr Hootington posted:

I don't know the right answer, but I know that this is exactly the wrong one.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Mr Hootington posted:

Hey, a post from a month ago!

Also, you know him posters occasionally comment on how Democrats need to play hardball with Republicans and get in some dirty play of their own? Will check out this informative wrote up covering the Clinton Dark Money network

https://sunlightfoundation.com/blog/2015/12/03/behind-the-clinton-campaign-dark-money-allies/

lmao

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Pretty much, like a lot of her stupid moments she's not 100% in that we probably shouldn't pretend Iran is magically our friend now and all, and a lot of the sanctions lifting are the ones that help the wealthy get their poo poo easier and maybe we shouldn't prioritize them in this stuff, she's really loving stupid to trot it out NOW when the narrative is 'see what real diplomacy gets us' and I kinda don't know why she thinks this is the good time to do it.

whats worse is all this does is feed into the right/hardliners bullshit. you have to give it a month or two before you start making GBS threads on it.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

Uh, Hillary?????

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

I don't know the right answer, but I know that this is exactly the wrong one.

The right answer is that Hillary just told republicans that they were right on Iran and sanctions because Hillary is afraid of that stupid movie hurting Hillary's Secretary of State legacy, so Hillary needs to look tough now. Well except for the separating nuclear program and Ballistic missile programs being the wrong way.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Hillary really likes the current administration in Israel and they probably aren't super all about Iran and the US becoming closer pals. She might share that view. If she feels strongly about it, she might say so sincerely, without it being an electorally calculated strategic comment.

That's my guess on what's happening there.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
https://twitter.com/johnpodesta/status/688519121064054784

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Hillary picked the worst possible time to grandstand about additional sanctions and this "distrust but verify" nonsense but these are ballistic missile sanctions and have been in the works for a couple weeks at least from the Treasury department:

http://www.cnn.com/2015/12/30/politics/iran-sanctions-ballistic-missiles/

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Hillary picked the worst possible time to grandstand about additional sanctions and this "distrust but verify" nonsense but these are ballistic missile sanctions and have been in the works for a couple weeks at least from the Treasury department:

http://www.cnn.com/2015/12/30/politics/iran-sanctions-ballistic-missiles/

Obama is just doing that because he's trying to tack to the right for the general!

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Nah its really her campaign team has lovely instincts. They think people won't like her for who she is (a wonky nerd) and so we get this.

It's a shame because she's fine when she's not campaigning.

I agree that it's very weird that her campaign seems incapable of understanding that people really do like her.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Squizzle posted:

Hillary really likes the current administration in Israel and they probably aren't super all about Iran and the US becoming closer pals. She might share that view. If she feels strongly about it, she might say so sincerely, without it being an electorally calculated strategic comment.

That's my guess on what's happening there.

What the gently caress? Bibi and the Clintons hate each other chief.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

https://twitter.com/yesnicksearcy/status/688528958107725825

• Locked thread