Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Law & Order: SVU
Holy poo poo...this show is putrid.

I couldn't watch these or their budget network derivatives because of the annoying steely blue, borderline monochrome lighting. Even the living looked like corpses. I started seeing it everywhere, and it turns out it's a thing:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/UnnaturallyBlueLighting

The 90s brought us shaky cam, the aughts brought us cop shows that look like a bunch of Blue Note LP covers sprang to life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Arrow really is one of the absolute worst narrative shows out there. It is almost impossibly bad. Thing is though, it's a loving comic book tv show so the people it's aimed at have already set the bar so low and are so loving stupid anyway that it doesn't actually matter

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Pick posted:

Rubbernecking with your dick.

Rubberdicking.

I dislike :doink: and its derivatives because they are straight up super serious, yet unbelievable procedurals to the loving bone without any humor, lightheartedness, or any degree of not taking itself too seriously.

poo poo's boring to watch, yo.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Falun Bong Refugee posted:

I know this is the thread for bad shows, but I started watching izombie and it is really good. It toes the line between campy and serious that is pro as poo poo.

season two has an episode where a guy gets murdered by somebody in a mascot costume and the alibi of one of the suspects is that they're furries, it's pretty great

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
Why is season 2 not on Netflix yet?

Wall Balls
Jun 3, 2007

Spanish Castle Magic

Superior Bastard
Jun 5, 2004

I wanna be on you.

"So, how do like those cookies?"

-Are the cops outside?

"Oh, I can't tell you that."

-Cops gang tackle a non-resisting perv like they're in Wrestlemania.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Near the end of the run they did a special on how Internet phishing (this was still early 2000s I think so a lot of folks were clueless about privacy/security) and went as far as to fly to London or someplace to meet with a potential source of some scams, it was bonkers.

Whoever said Designing Women earlier in the thread is probably younger than when that show aired. Oh no, little edgelords, if we're getting into that era we're going to talk about Teri Garr vehicle "Good & Evil," which didn't make it halfway out of the first 1991 season thanks to a blind psychiatrist character who's defining characteristic was destroying stuff with his cane. This was seen as the height of parodic comedy by ABC and creator Susan Harris who swore up and down no, this wasn't about the National Federation of the Blind's rightful criticisms, it's just because the show didn't have a CHANCE being aired opposite ball games and the CMAs! I'll let you read her additional defense for yourselves. I know some people like to "dunk on" "tumblrinas" or whatever the kids call it, but I'll never forget being a tween watching that show and recognizing the true tastelessness of using someone's disability as the butt of a cruel joke. The rest of the show was poo poo, too; there are probably objectively worse programs in the past 60-some-ought years of television, but the blind gag heavily iced the urinal cake.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Jastiger posted:

Also I haven't seen mentioned yet, the Bachelor/Bachelorette. These shows are absolutely ridiculous and pretty depraved. I can't believe they are popular as they are.
basic girls eat that poo poo up. that's why celebrity tabloid covers aren't even about real celebrities more than half the time, just about the kinds of non-entities that populate terrible reality competition shows like those two

also, cutting to commercial before an elimination moment is one of modern entertainment's biggest dick moves

Marv Hushman posted:

I couldn't watch these or their budget network derivatives because of the annoying steely blue, borderline monochrome lighting. Even the living looked like corpses. I started seeing it everywhere, and it turns out it's a thing:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/UnnaturallyBlueLighting
see also: seemingly every big-budget hollywood movie made in the past few years. they say they combine blue filter with orange lighting because that's a color combination that's pleasing to the human mind. that's bullshit, i'd be more pleased to see something that doesn't look like it was shot underwater

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
Drop Dead Dvia is easily the worst loving show I have ever seen. it is literally "Fat bitch Grrrrrl Power fantasy" the show

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Y-Hat posted:

see also: seemingly every big-budget hollywood movie made in the past few years. they say they combine blue filter with orange lighting because that's a color combination that's pleasing to the human mind. that's bullshit, i'd be more pleased to see something that doesn't look like it was shot underwater

daaaamn, look out everyone! this guy reads buzzfeed!!11

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Sleeveless posted:

daaaamn, look out everyone! this guy reads buzzfeed!!11
actually i read drat It's True Facts and other pop science poo poo that might be true

RavenousScoot
Mar 22, 2013

I'm doubting anyone posted this but this is the REAL GARBAGE
This is worse than any poo poo you posted so far or money back guarantee

fuckin johnny test is better than this poo poo

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Extreme Makeover/The Swan was great for giving people eating disorders and body issues, kewl

ShaqDiesel
Mar 21, 2013
I'm voting for "The Leftovers" again. Anyone who tells you season 2 is better than season 1 is full of it they're both garbled, hackneyed, pretentious piles of poo poo.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Monkey Fracas posted:

chuck lorre is the undisputed master of beige assembly-line sitcoms

man knows how to crank out product which is then fed straight into the gaping hungry maw of braindead viewers everywhere who desire more, more, ever MORE bland TV Nutrient Paste

the man is a real artist

http://www.avclub.com/article/sorry-stoners-chuck-lorre-developing-big-bang-theo-230841

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

RavenousScoot posted:

I'm doubting anyone posted this but this is the REAL GARBAGE
This is worse than any poo poo you posted so far or money back guarantee

fuckin johnny test is better than this poo poo

kevin spencer is way worse but live in peace not knowing how bad it is

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Pick posted:

Extreme Makeover/The Swan was great for giving people eating disorders and body issues, kewl

IIRC Biggest Loser doesn't help people either because they can't keep the weight off without the support structure.

Whatev
Jan 19, 2007

unfading

Booblord Zagats posted:

Drop Dead Dvia is easily the worst loving show I have ever seen. it is literally "Fat bitch Grrrrrl Power fantasy" the show

Drop Dead Diva posted:

The series revolves around vapid aspiring model, Deborah "Deb" Dobkins (played by Brooke D'Orsay), who is killed in a car crash on the way to an audition for The Price Is Right. As her soul enters the gates of Heaven, she finds herself being judged by a gatekeeper named Fred (Ben Feldman). As a result of her shallowness, Fred declares her a "zero-zero," since she has performed zero good deeds and zero bad deeds during her time on Earth. While he's distracted, Deb presses the "return" key before Fred can stop her and is brought back to life in the body of a recently deceased lawyer named Jane Bingum (Brooke Elliott), who died protecting her boss, Jay Parker (Josh Stamberg).

Jane is the complete opposite of Deb; she is brilliant, hard-working, charitable, and plus size. Deb finds that Jane also works in the same law firm, Harrison-Parker, as Deb's fiancé Grayson Kent (Jackson Hurst). After immediately telling her best friend, Stacy (April Bowlby), of her predicament, Deb prepares herself to tell Grayson the truth about her new body. However, Fred’s assignment as Deb’s guardian angel serves as punishment for letting her leave heaven. His purpose on Earth is to prevent Deb from telling Grayson the truth and insisting that no one else can know that it is really Deb in Jane's body.

Deb struggles to learn more about her inherited life, learning lessons about self-esteem and personal acceptance. Eventually, the real Jane Bingum (played by Natalie Hall) reappears in another person's body after having pressed the return key, leading Deb to finally reveal the truth to Grayson, now one of Jane's closest friends. Grayson, after grieving and moving on from Deb's passing, becomes conflicted, but finally accepts Deb in her new body, saying that he wants her to be her and no one else.
Six seasons

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

shame on an IGA posted:

Allen Gregory is so bad you can't even pirate it to watch it if you haven't seen it because everyone deleted it.

Good, it was awful. It deserves to be forgotten.

JediTalentAgent posted:

In the book Disneywar, there was a part where they talk about the 8 Simple Rules and how someone at Disney/ABC (Michael Eisner, I think) was very, very insistent that after John Ritter's death that the show needed to reveal Sagal's character was pregnant as a sort of 'gift' he left her before dying. The showrunners were really uncomfortable with that decision, felt it was sort of in poor taste and didn't go along with it.

I wonder how the guy who wrote the book the show was based on dealt with this. It must be a letdown to write a purity ring of a book only to have it become the Jack Ritter half-hour weekly crying memorial, faithfully introduced by the actors like it's a goddamn afterschool special. And if it was Eisner that pushed the whole 'he left her a baby as a gift' mentality, it would just explain how utterly bizarre the whole thing was to watch. I remember just being baffled that this crappy sitcom somehow became John Ritter's testament to comedy on Earth that had to be piloted by Peg loving Bundy. Then David Spade. And then Jim loving Rockford.

In a way, I can't call 8 Simple Rules bad as it's so much of an entertaining and creepy trainwreck. On one hand, it's all about mourning Ritter. Then on the other, it's about trying to give the show a reason to go on because....I guess people wanted to keep their jobs. Either way, all the fuss around that is forgotten today, which is for the best. But at the time the show was one of those memorial flower things around a telephone pole when someone dies in a crash. The pure definition of maudlin.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

muscles like this? posted:

IIRC Biggest Loser doesn't help people either because they can't keep the weight off without the support structure.

And losing massive quantities of weight that quickly will gently caress up your bones something absurd.

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Whatev posted:

Six seasons

That poor crew had to watch it all.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
I can't believe Brothers Grunt was a show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9t7pylCz_KM

Rambling Robot
Sep 13, 2011
Duggar Fan Club Superstar #1 LOL

Whatev posted:

Six seasons

thank you tumblr.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Pick posted:

And losing massive quantities of weight that quickly will gently caress up your bones something absurd.

Also the entire show is one giant, shameless product placement commercial

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Doc Block posted:

Why is season 2 not on Netflix yet?

Season 2 isnt even over yet

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Professor Wayne posted:

I was going to say Sons of Butcher but this beats that hands down.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Professor Wayne posted:

what the gently caress

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
why does it just randomly play rock me amadeus and an enigma song?

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Professor Wayne posted:

This was the show that MTV replaced Beavis & Butthead went off the air. I kept wondering why I didn't "get it". Good to know it just sucked and was gross.

Automatic Slim fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Jan 18, 2016

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

I wonder how the guy who wrote the book the show was based on dealt with this. It must be a letdown to write a purity ring of a book only to have it become the Jack Ritter half-hour weekly crying memorial, faithfully introduced by the actors like it's a goddamn afterschool special. And if it was Eisner that pushed the whole 'he left her a baby as a gift' mentality, it would just explain how utterly bizarre the whole thing was to watch. I remember just being baffled that this crappy sitcom somehow became John Ritter's testament to comedy on Earth that had to be piloted by Peg loving Bundy. Then David Spade. And then Jim loving Rockford.

The other reason that whole "baby as a gift" plot device was insulting was Katie Sagal famously had a miscarriage when she gotten pregnant in 1991. The showrunners at "Married With Children" wrote her pregnancy into the show, which resulted in a "dream" season when she miscarried. While she did later have give birth to two children (and a third through a surrogate), they never wrote those in and decided to just explain any absences as her looking for relatives. I can probably believe that Sagal probably was the one who ended that pretty quick.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Jastiger posted:

Also I haven't seen mentioned yet, the Bachelor/Bachelorette. These shows are absolutely ridiculous and pretty depraved. I can't believe they are popular as they are.

This is a feature, not a bug

lorn Wayne
Jan 7, 2006

:staredog::meowth::pipe:
Any UK soap, take your pick.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
Did anyone say the US version of The Slap yet

Because it's the US version of The Slap

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
There was a pilot for a US version of Red Dwarf, which was basically the British version minus the humor and personality.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mlnntKi2no

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Professor Wayne posted:

The only reason I remember this show is because the theme song is on a CD that I bought back in the '90s.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Television%27s_Greatest_Hits:_Cable_Ready

Pretty sure I saw this episode when it premiered, too, but I blocked it out of my mind until now :suicide:

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

the only thing i remember about the biggest loser was a challenge where they put people in booths with trays full of tiny milkshakes, and some vagueness in the rules made it unclear if they were supposed to drink any or not? it's one thing to humiliate morbidly obese people for money, but don't turn it into a riddle.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
The Biggest Loser is incredibly shameless with its product placement, they have entire segments that are literally just commercials acted out by the contestants and it's disgusting.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Professor Wayne posted:

what in the gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0v7oFz1zf3c

• Locked thread