Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013
So if you have an elite ship that isn't in quicktrain mode then what happens to the xp? Turned into global xp?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dpidz0r
Jul 29, 2012

Panfilo posted:

How about the Pepsicola? I've heard good things about it here.
Put the long range fast fireing guns on it and it turns into everything the Atlanta wishes it could be. It'll ruin the day of anything except battleships (the shells bounce off pitifully due to lack of pen). It's also quite fast, has decent secondaries, has a scout, and maneuverable enough to avoid torps if you're paying attention.

Nickiepoo posted:

So if you have an elite ship that isn't in quicktrain mode then what happens to the xp? Turned into global xp?
It works like in WoT. It's stuck to that ship unless you pay gold to convert it. I didn't realize you can elite ships and have like 40k worth of exp stuck to all my ships :(

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

dpidz0r posted:

Put the long range fast fireing guns on it and it turns into everything the Atlanta wishes it could be. It'll ruin the day of anything except battleships (the shells bounce off pitifully due to lack of pen). It's also quite fast, has decent secondaries, has a scout, and maneuverable enough to avoid torps if you're paying attention.

It works like in WoT. It's stuck to that ship unless you pay gold to convert it. I didn't realize you can elite ships and have like 40k worth of exp stuck to all my ships :(

Both guns have merit, which is kinda rare for gun choices. The fast firing guns are good for lighter targets but the lower damage can be noticeable and you have even worse ammo problems in any game where you have to carry, which is not uncommon. It's primarily the ammo now for why I've stuck with the higher damage guns, well that and I like the better performance vs BBs given they are your target half the time.

Also yeah if you don't train the crew elite XP just sticks to the boat and has to be converted with gold at a rate of 16:1. If you are buying the gold at the recharge perk levels it's not terrible, but still pricy.

Crash74
May 11, 2009
Welp i have had 4 games in a row thrown by lovely lead paint licking dd's. Whats the point you get banned for tk'ing because ima gonna start :commissar:ing these dumb fucks.

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013
When I just started the game, I decided to go on the Japanese line for cruisers because I wanted torpedoes with my cruiser. After a test-driver in the tier4 CA, I don't see what the point of torpedoes is in a heavy cruiser. It steers so sluggishly you'll never hit anything with it. I guess area denial.

I think I'll might go with the US for CAs and Japan for CLs.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The Furutaka is the pug of the sea. Adorable, earnest, but incredibly helpless and in need of constant aid.

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013

Llyranor posted:

You know that both types of ship are part of the same line right? Also 'does it have Torpedoes' is a pretty bad way to judge anything above a destroyer.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Llyranor posted:

When I just started the game, I decided to go on the Japanese line for cruisers because I wanted torpedoes with my cruiser. After a test-driver in the tier4 CA, I don't see what the point of torpedoes is in a heavy cruiser. It steers so sluggishly you'll never hit anything with it. I guess area denial.

The Furutaka has these awful torpedo tubes that are embedded into the ships hull. The next cruisers in the Japanese line have mounted tubes that have good firing arcs

dpidz0r
Jul 29, 2012

Mazz posted:

It's primarily the ammo now for why I've stuck with the higher damage guns
Are you sure you have full ammo loaded in them? Because I've never once come close to running out even in games I carried, but I have noticed it shaft me on ammo before when switching guns.

Also, just did this in challenge mode:

edit: just had a round in my fubuki in which I dunked 3 cruisers at the beginning, shot down a ton of torp bombers on my way to skirmish a sub, got distracted and killed an enemy DD, shot down 2 more waves of torp bombers while I killed the sub, went back and killed the enemy CV, kept their last remaining BB spotted with 200hp left and... our CV drives out of radio range and is non-responsive in chat. Break contact with the enemy BB to get back in range of friendlies, but friendly CV is nowhere to be found. Start a 1:20 cap with 1:40 left on the clock and unsure of where the BB is. with 30 seconds left to go he blind fires a single gun from the opposite side of an island and kills me on the first hit.

edit2: tier 6 game in which my team had all battleships and CAs vs enemy team with all battleships and 2 subs. gently caress this stupid game, I'm done for the night.

dpidz0r fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Jan 16, 2016

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

The Furutaka has these awful torpedo tubes that are embedded into the ships hull. The next cruisers in the Japanese line have mounted tubes that have good firing arcs

Is there a way to view the ships prior to buying them? It'd be nice to see gun/torpedo placement.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Llyranor posted:

Is there a way to view the ships prior to buying them? It'd be nice to see gun/torpedo placement.

I don't think so.

Just ask in the thread because there's a few of us who have played up to tier 7 already and know the arcs pretty well.

For the record, I think it's only the Furutaka that has that truly awful torpedo placement, all other ships have mounts with good coverage.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!
What's a better deal, spending gold for the X months of premium, or X battles?

I like the flexibility, but it does have me wondering;

For time based, obviously if you can cram a lot of battles every day it is a better deal. But with the low population of the game, there are only going to be so many (good) games you have in an hour.

For battle based, its a much better deal for players that can only play sporadically (Dads, working schlubs, etc)

The flip side:

Time based is a waste if there are long stretches of time you can't play.

Battle based is gonna suck if you get some horrible losing streaks.

I did the gold development, so as I get higher tiers of ships I'll get more gold kicked back to me and I want to decide how I use it.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

dpidz0r posted:

Are you sure you have full ammo loaded in them? Because I've never once come close to running out even in games I carried, but I have noticed it shaft me on ammo before when switching guns.

Solid AP (always forget to load HE and I lost a game to shooting my last HE at a CA recently). I think I come close to running out in like an 25% of my games, mostly those kill race ones but it's unfortunate none the less. I like to shoot at basically everything in range including subs and DDs since every hit tends to count sooner or later.

Also, I'm quickly realizing this game is 100% World of Tanks on water and running in a platoon is pretty much the only way to stay sane. Sooner or later, pubby luck will fade away and the game will just make you angry.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Jan 16, 2016

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

I don't think so.

Just ask in the thread because there's a few of us who have played up to tier 7 already and know the arcs pretty well.

For the record, I think it's only the Furutaka that has that truly awful torpedo placement, all other ships have mounts with good coverage.

How well do the carriers scale? I know you can launch more planes at a time, and bigger squadrons. I'm curious on how this ends up at the higher ends.

Unlike WoWs I never ran out of planes in this game, even in the piddly little Bogue.

Also, is there an efficient way to generate silver? I'm in a weird position where the only thing stopping me from getting tier IV DD and BB is a crippling shortage of money.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Panfilo posted:

What's a better deal, spending gold for the X months of premium, or X battles?

Time based is a far better deal than battle based if you plan to play a lot. You can get a good battle at tier IV or V at all times of the day because this server is pretty much the whole world and not just the US. VI is slowly coming around and VII behind that.

I've been playing for less than a month with the 30 day VIP active, and I have 600 battles already. That's like 3x the highest battle package .

The time based is only 50% reward compared to 100% for battles though, but expect to burn through them real fast.

Panfilo posted:

How well do the carriers scale? I know you can launch more planes at a time, and bigger squadrons. I'm curious on how this ends up at the higher ends.

Unlike WoWs I never ran out of planes in this game, even in the piddly little Bogue.

Also, is there an efficient way to generate silver? I'm in a weird position where the only thing stopping me from getting tier IV DD and BB is a crippling shortage of money.

They scale okay but so does AA, you only risk running out of planes in the craziest games after tier IV. The damage they can do stays balanced with HP pretty good except for a few outliers where you may get a uptier upgrade with your TBs or something.

Honestly if you just play and get competent so that your killing things and doing a good amount of damage, the money just kind of flows in. That plus getting the time premium above, I generally have a couple million more credits than I ever need.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Panfilo posted:

Ships seem to get more profitable as you go up in tier, at least as far as I've made it.

The Repulse makes a lot of credits too, if you have it. If you don't I've heard that this link still works, even though it was supposed to be removed five days ago. :china:

Also play the super Kitakami game mode on Fridays and Sundays (you need a tier 5, but the Repulse is adequate) and do the daily mission that's two wins in an elite ship for 50000.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!
Thanks for the tips. I decided to go ahead and get the 30 day VIP, since I'll have gold rolling in as I tier up.

Do both types of bonuses stack? Can you get +150% xp/silver if you get both time and battle boosts?

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Panfilo posted:

Thanks for the tips. I decided to go ahead and get the 30 day VIP, since I'll have gold rolling in as I tier up.

Do both types of bonuses stack? Can you get +150% xp/silver if you get both time and battle boosts?

No, it's either/or for prem time.

The other bonuses from fleet building and weekly rewards stack though.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
I got two questions now:

What days are all the events again? I forget every week.

What the hell is fleet building, and should we be stacking it to 50 charges and trying to keep it there?

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?
My first match of the weekend.

poo poo's on fire, yo.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I see the lesser cruisers did not learn their place and continued to challenge the mighty Atlanta.

Excellent work.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Mazz posted:

I got two questions now:

What days are all the events again? I forget every week.

Fleet battles are tonight! (Tuesdays and Saturdays)

Everyone should show up. We've been very close the last couple times to being able to field two teams at once.

The level we're playing at need T3 destroyers and T4 battleships (Fubukis and Wyomings are preferred but not mandatory), so even fairly new players can contribute. Don't worry about how good you are, either - we're not tryhards like Dark Judge. Show up, shoot botes, have a good time.

Also, nice av, Groggy.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Goddamn, I just had the pubs throw away 6 in a row trying to get my second US win for the day. Over and over and over they'd all sail directly into torpedoes. I got mad enough about boats to need to stop for awhile.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!
Bummer I can't make this Saturday but I'll definitely try to hit up future fleet battles. Isn't there some reward if you win 2 games?

Those Dark Judge guys are useful. If one is on my team I'll just follow him and shoot what he shoots. Last time I got a nice 3 kill streak simply by tagging along.

Crash74
May 11, 2009
The chinese website for this game is gold, Video with the courageous but lovely chinese navy going it all alone against the odds to defeat the japanese that are literal chickens with hitler staches to try and stop the rape of nanking.:
http://event.changyou.com/hz/201508/suspense/pc/index.shtml

first video has lots of bushido spirit:
http://hz.changyou.com/video.shtml

main chinese website:
http://hz.changyou.com/main.shtml

They really need to get a loving english website. Thats pretty bad when they don't even do enough marketing to even hire some shlubs to poo poo out a poorly translated engrish website.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Get in fleet battle!

We might even get lucky and fight the Confederate navy tonight!

I Greyhound
Apr 22, 2008

MusicKrew Dawn Patrol

Crash74 posted:

The chinese website for this game is gold, Video with the courageous but lovely chinese navy going it all alone against the odds to defeat the japanese that are literal chickens with hitler staches to try and stop the rape of nanking.:
http://event.changyou.com/hz/201508/suspense/pc/index.shtml

first video has lots of bushido spirit:
http://hz.changyou.com/video.shtml

main chinese website:
http://hz.changyou.com/main.shtml

They really need to get a loving english website. Thats pretty bad when they don't even do enough marketing to even hire some shlubs to poo poo out a poorly translated engrish website.

Anime girl Hitler.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

This was my last game in the Konigsberg 1915. I killed seven people. I had to take a screenshot because it was unbelievable, especially as I pulled this while my internet was making GBS threads the bed and my ping was over 1000.

Lockmart Lawndart
Oct 12, 2005

I Greyhound posted:

Anime girl Hitler.

http://bbs.hz.changyou.com/plugin.php?id=auction

Apparently you can order anime pillows off their website. Clearly steel ocean beat world of warships to anime titties.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The Emden is terrible and I hate it so much.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!

Night10194 posted:

This was my last game in the Konigsberg 1915. I killed seven people. I had to take a screenshot because it was unbelievable, especially as I pulled this while my internet was making GBS threads the bed and my ping was over 1000.

Friggin showoff! Man, I feel like hot poo poo when I get a 3 kill streak . and you guys are killing 3/4ths of the whole enemy team and being like "loving pubbies :smug: "

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Panfilo posted:

Friggin showoff! Man, I feel like hot poo poo when I get a 3 kill streak . and you guys are killing 3/4ths of the whole enemy team and being like "loving pubbies :smug: "

That game was ENTIRELY luck. Everything just ignored me all game, I torped an AFK BB, rammed a sub, and dunked another one. Like, that was in no way me playing especially well, I just got lucky and the enemy played especially bad.

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?

Panfilo posted:

Hey I only got those 7 killstreaks like, two or three times!

And killed the entire enemy team with an American Submarine once!

I hope things went okay with the fleet battles, I always have to work during the Saturday ones and on the Tuesday I'm usually thinking "Do I spaceships or see if my family wants to meet for dinner and alcohol/controlled substances on my only day off?" and completely forget, which is sad because the big botefleet battles with goons are better than the spaceships at least.

Little Abigail
Jul 21, 2011

College Slice

Groggy nard posted:

Hey I only got those 7 killstreaks like, two or three times!

And killed the entire enemy team with an American Submarine once!

I hope things went okay with the fleet battles, I always have to work during the Saturday ones and on the Tuesday I'm usually thinking "Do I spaceships or see if my family wants to meet for dinner and alcohol/controlled substances on my only day off?" and completely forget, which is sad because the big botefleet battles with goons are better than the spaceships at least.

Yeah, we only lost like 3-4 times, one of them being a 7v10 match against Dark Judge, and another one was us being dumber then usual. We're kinda bad against good carrier players, though.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!
Working on events to get more money. I didn't realize that 2 wins in an elite ship gives you a bonus 50,000 silver, which isn't bad considering you'll be using an elited ship to skill up/make money anyway.

I thought there was another event that involved 15 wins, but I don't see it?

Pervis
Jan 12, 2001

YOSPOS

Little Abigail posted:

Yeah, we only lost like 3-4 times, one of them being a 7v10 match against Dark Judge, and another one was us being dumber then usual. We're kinda bad against good carrier players, though.

The match on the fairly open ice map with 3 carriers vs our one was pretty crazy. Our rush across the field to try to get them in range was a good idea, we just didn't get close enough quick enough before their swarms of planes took us down. 3 carriers with 3 flights of planes attacking in a swarm all at once is really hard, even with a pile of Wyoming's with 8 flak guns a piece. I was doing 24 knots the whole time from my starting position and was still 1km out from their carriers when half of us were dead. I was our only death on a later match we won that was like that (2v1 carriers) but ended up putting myself right next to a mountain, shielding myself from their team and making only one path where they could drop torps against me. I ended up dying to dive bombers of all things, which made me laugh like hell since I don't think I've ever died by them.

The 15 wins event resets on Monday I think. It's weekly, and that's the one that gives 540 merit so it's awesome.

I've got ships in every class, mostly US, up to tier 6 (CV, BB, DD, CA) and Japanese subs at tier 6 and the Fubuki. Are there any non-gold ships that are fun or standout or different from what I've already got, anywhere tier 4-6? Or some very overpowered ship for tier 5 or 6 that would be useful for higher-end fleet battles when/if they start happening?

Erve
Oct 27, 2009
Just applied to the goon fleet as Sengo

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

I got to fleet battles late, and was particularly off. Was stunned I made it so far in that 3 CV match. I think my reflex with DDs is to got for dumb pubbie kills, which doesn't work in fleet battles. Not sure why they didn't torp the crap out of me.

Up to tier 5 on most US lines. Matching a tier 5 CV is nearly impossible, at least when I've tried. Sounds like running elite ships is the best way to get silver?

Lockmart Lawndart
Oct 12, 2005

Its me, I'm that guy.

Alright, Who offered to buy it with me? We need to be Surcouf buddies tonight.

I'm off to go troll destroyers, will post trip report.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Running elite ships is nice for a quick boost of silver and occasionally you can finish off two or more events with an elite ship. Right now running an elite Atlanta two times will get you the 50000 silver event plus the 90 merit event.

• Locked thread