Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Getting an instant crash when I try and look at the main forum list. Is anybody else? Latest version of app, latest iOS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

thehustler posted:

Getting an instant crash when I try and look at the main forum list. Is anybody else? Latest version of app, latest iOS.

Works fine for me, but I wonder if it's related to this forum bug that doesn't seem to be affecting everyone:

Rutibex posted:

I don't know if this is intentional, but the drop down box at the bottom that lets you jump to another forum has become much more limited. Now it can only jump to forums categories, rather than individual forums. I used this all the time! I don't want to have to do another click :(

The app gets its forum list from that dropdown.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Also I guess we should probably add embedded tweets now: http://forums.somethingawful.com/announcement.php?forumid=1

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Crash on forums list resolved itself. Maybe an unsafe network call there or something, or related to the issues this morning, anyway thx for listening

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

No dice on the SFSafariViewController issue in iOS 9.3 beta 1, unfortunately. I think if it survives another beta I'll put together a sample that reproduces it and file a bug, but while I was debugging this weekend I noticed a few OpenRadar type things with tickets open so maybe it'd just get closed as a dup???

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Forum list crash bug fixed for me too. How peculiar. Thanks for the information.

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe

UIApplication posted:

Crash on forums list resolved itself. Maybe an unsafe network call there or something, or related to the issues this morning, anyway thx for listening
I had this crash bug around 3 hours after this post was made.

I tried restarting the app, no luck. I tried the forums in chrome, and they worked fine. (Although I didn't try logging in). Maybe network stuff, maybe server cloud stuff?

alcyon
Mar 9, 2010

Had the same forums list crash. Worked fine on 3g/4g networks but crapped out on open wifi's.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

If any of you have that forums list crash again, can you load the forums in Safari and see if all the forums show up in the dropdown at the bottom of the page? One goon posted yesterday in QCS that they only saw the top-level categories in that dropdown. Awful scrapes the list of forums from that dropdown, so if the forums are sporadically not populating it correctly, that could explain the crash.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Diabolik900 posted:

Also I guess we should probably add embedded tweets now: http://forums.somethingawful.com/announcement.php?forumid=1

Even in the short time this has been active, I'm definitely noticing people not quoting the actual tweets anymore, which is annoying.

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

pokeyman posted:

The swiping-out-of-the-built-in-browser issue, you mean?

Maybe it's specific to devices with an "S" suffix.

I've got a 6+ (with no "S" suffix ) and I get the same issue.

👻

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
I got an iPhone and this app and it looks like a good app thanks for the app

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

smackfu posted:

Even in the short time this has been active, I'm definitely noticing people not quoting the actual tweets anymore, which is annoying.

Came here to ask about this. DnD is almost unusable. Goddamn Joementum.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Trevor Hale posted:

Came here to ask about this. DnD is almost unusable. Goddamn Joementum.

I'll take a look after I get gifv embeds working, maybe this weekend.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

My app always freezes when backing out of a thread after opening a link.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Are you using the Done button, or swiping from the left edge? If the latter, it's known and I think believed to be an OS bug. But swiping slowly may help!

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Subjunctive posted:

Are you using the Done button, or swiping from the left edge? If the latter, it's known and I think believed to be an OS bug. But swiping slowly may help!

Just tested it. Done button works while a swipe doesn't. Thanks

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
I haven't posted in this thread in months because the app works so well, but I wanted to drop in and second the request for embedded tweets.

Thanks for all your work, Awful App Team! :)

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Agreed. This app truly is something awful.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
My guess is the forums list crash was at least one of:

• The expand/collapse issue.
• That stupid dropdown going crazy on the website.

The former can be fixed by either force-quitting or uninstalling/reinstalling. The latter, I guess some testing is in order.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I reinstalled and the crash persisted

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

A single mis-click and I accidentally selected HOT as a thread tag and got auto-banned. Can we please put some sort of validation in this? It's not the same on a touchscreen as a PC for fucks sake.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Thread previewing before creating is enabled by default. There is no one misclick that will cause you to post a thread with a mods only tag if you have that enabled.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

No. 6 posted:

A single mis-click and I accidentally selected HOT as a thread tag and got auto-banned. Can we please put some sort of validation in this? It's not the same on a touchscreen as a PC for fucks sake.

:allears:

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

I guess I shouldn't mash my screen so vigorously.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

UIApplication posted:

I reinstalled and the crash persisted

Good to know. Sorry about that.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Not bitching, just trying to help

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Is it possible to add .webm support to the browser in awful, or is it limited by safari/iOS?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

UIApplication posted:

Not bitching, just trying to help

I was earnestly saying thanks! It helps to narrow down what's up.

various cheeses posted:

Is it possible to add .webm support to the browser in awful, or is it limited by safari/iOS?

I have no idea! Someone else here probably knows though. I'm sure there's some disgusting JavaScript monstrosity out there.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

pokeyman posted:

I have no idea! Someone else here probably knows though. I'm sure there's some disgusting JavaScript monstrosity out there.

In the forums javascript, there is a jQuery function to search for links that have webm is the src. If it's there, it extracts the source, replaces it in a video tag (with hard coded settings to loop it, without controls, muted) and replaces the html.

You could copy that and have that run with you are rendering threads, and it should work.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

pokeyman posted:

I was earnestly saying thanks! It helps to narrow down what's up.

I know it dawg, I do iOS dev 9-5 and theres nothing worse than offshore qa items that boil down to "thing no work"

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Drastic Actions posted:

In the forums javascript, there is a jQuery function to search for links that have webm is the src. If it's there, it extracts the source, replaces it in a video tag (with hard coded settings to loop it, without controls, muted) and replaces the html.

You could copy that and have that run with you are rendering threads, and it should work.

No, that won't work because iOS doesn't have the WebM (VP8/9, Theora) codecs. We would need to ship a whole video pipeline and then hope there was some way to stick it into the Safari webview.

I have it working for gifv-as-mp4, except that it can't autoplay the loop because of webview restrictions, so it needs controls to start it. Trying to make that non-terrible before pushing it.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Subjunctive posted:

No, that won't work because iOS doesn't have the WebM (VP8/9, Theora) codecs. We would need to ship a whole video pipeline and then hope there was some way to stick it into the Safari webview.

Ah, that's the same with Windows. That's why I said gently caress it and hooked it up for MP4 instead of WebM. Not worth the effort.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Love the app, but I have a question. Is there a setting to just let .gifs auto load or do I just have to keep clicking on them to get them to play?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Raged posted:

Love the app, but I have a question. Is there a setting to just let .gifs auto load or do I just have to keep clicking on them to get them to play?

That's currently under development, probably in the next release.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
Thank you for this app. I'm using it for more and more of my awful browsing and posting.

:pgabz:

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Has there been extensive testing using splitview on the new human-sized ipads? I just got a mini 4 and could make a point to browse half-screen if it'd help

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

UIApplication posted:

Has there been extensive testing using splitview on the new human-sized ipads? I just got a mini 4 and could make a point to browse half-screen if it'd help

I would not call the testing that has been done "extensive". I would certainly like to hear about any issues! But don't force yourself to subdivide your lil screen.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
In split view I have Awful on the left 2/3 and another app on the right 1/3 in portrait, and I'm on the forums list. If I switch to landscape Awful's window shows nothing but blank space. It looks to me like Awful is switching size classes and Awful is showing its empty detail chunk of master-detail view.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

• Locked thread