Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Schnedwob
Feb 28, 2014

my legs are okay
Yeah, I somehow managed to get a level 25 Hobo Morty when most of the enemy Mortys I'm seeing are in the 12-15 range, and he fuckin' cleans house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
Yeah, the real trick is combining Morty's for over powered ones and then you just steamroll everyone. No real grinding or need for items outside of control chips after a while.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

What's the trick to combining morties? They have to be of same or similar type?

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby
I never played Pokemon games so I assume the text being peppered with grammatical errors and faux-awkward-translations is a reference to what the first Pokemons were like?

Depressio111117
Oct 18, 2014

A whole world of imagination beyond the oompah band.

Baronjutter posted:

What's the trick to combining morties? They have to be of same or similar type?

They have to be the same. Spoon Morty with a Spoon Morty, Swimmer Morty with a Swimmer Morty. Not every Morty can be combined, though.

Schnedwob
Feb 28, 2014

my legs are okay

kalensc posted:

I never played Pokemon games so I assume the text being peppered with grammatical errors and faux-awkward-translations is a reference to what the first Pokemons were like?

Nah, I think those are unintentional.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

I figured it was only a matter of time. You're a cool dude.

Brightman posted:

Yeah, the real trick is combining Morty's for over powered ones and then you just steamroll everyone. No real grinding or need for items outside of control chips after a while.
The first wild Morty I ever got (aside from the Scruffy Morty they stick you with in the tutorial) was a Cronenberg Morty I got from a Blips 'N Chitz machine, and I figure he must be equivalent to a legendary or something because he's near the end of the list and his stats are fuckin insane, he completely wrecks most other Mortys.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
This free, well animated phone game, with great sound and well voiced writing is bad because it's a simpler version of the most popular video game of all time...

JFC some people.

I for one am impressed that Rick Sanchez has already attained "if you see text next to my face you will hear it in my voice" a la' Prof. Farnsworth.

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Jan 17, 2016

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Guide to pocket mortys including several morty evolution and recipe combinations: http://www.junkiemonkeys.com/the-ultimate-pocket-mortys-guide/ spoilers obviously

:) there is indeed a one true morty

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

I'm glad this thread exists so I can see all the funny parts of Pocket Mortys without grinding a hundred hours into it.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

drat it I was really hoping there was a way to craft circuit boards.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/SageFrancis/status/688590443106422786

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice

Hazo posted:

I figured it was only a matter of time. You're a cool dude.

The first wild Morty I ever got (aside from the Scruffy Morty they stick you with in the tutorial) was a Cronenberg Morty I got from a Blips 'N Chitz machine, and I figure he must be equivalent to a legendary or something because he's near the end of the list and his stats are fuckin insane, he completely wrecks most other Mortys.

I was thinking so, because that morty is the only other one I've seen without a rock/paper/scissors icon

Also, combining mortys from the lowest grade up is definitely the easiest way to get a morty that can roll face. My gf combined up to an off the grid morty and it was lvl 20 after the combine and her hippy mortys were only 10 & 15.

Hardawn fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Jan 18, 2016

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_QznFtyxYg

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Pocket Mortys works on PC now :circlefap:

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Rocksicles posted:

Pocket Mortys works on PC now :circlefap:

where because everything is telling ios/android.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Andydroid/Bluestacks, man.

Emulate your dick off :)

it had issues with the intel android devices and it carried over to some PC's. Now they've fixed it.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

If you want to complete the quests (which requires crafting) I've found that in the long run Turbulent Juice is by far the limiting crafting resource, followed by batteries. So I don't suggest using any of those two to craft serum or Morty manipulator chips, which you can just buy with schmeckles instead.

Combining Mortys only works up to the third tier of each set (i.e. Mustache->Beard->Hipster).

Has anyone found a sure fire way to add/replace attacks of your Mortys? I have one now that only has one attack, while his other three moves are buffs/debuffs. Sometimes when they reach a new level, I'll get an option to replace one of the moves with a new attack. But that's unpredictable so I was wondering if any goons found a more reliable method.

Does anyone know what speed does in this game? Buffing or debuffing speed during a fight doesn't seem to do anything.

Barbed Tongues
Mar 16, 2012

bawfuls posted:

Has anyone found a sure fire way to add/replace attacks of your Mortys? I have one now that only has one attack, while his other three moves are buffs/debuffs. Sometimes when they reach a new level, I'll get an option to replace one of the moves with a new attack. But that's unpredictable so I was wondering if any goons found a more reliable method.

I though it was a list of attacks unlocked per Morty. But, I haven't been leveling parallel Mortys of the same type to verify if the order is the same each time, or if there is pool of attacks and leveling reveals a random one.

bawfuls posted:

Does anyone know what speed does in this game? Buffing or debuffing speed during a fight doesn't seem to do anything.

I've seen the initiative order change based on Speed. Mostly it's when swapping Mortys, and you might get an effective two hits in a row out ( Him - Me | Me - Him ) because of the switch. I've seen it occasionally matter after a speed buff/debuff - but then they wasted an attack on the buff.

I've yet to find a real use for buff/debuff vs. just hitting them in the face. But my tactic is to bring out my three highest level Morty's in Paper, Scissor and Rock types each, then the next Morty of the highest of anything left over. I swap out immediately in fights to always be winning the RPS - sensational/pathetic bonus always seems better than any buff/debuff.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

This game is great to play on the shitter, on the train, waking up with a cup of coffe, or at a live sporting event.

You can pick it up and play it for 5 minutes or an hour. Tap the screen and fight battles - thats it. That's all I need.

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.

Barbed Tongues posted:

I've yet to find a real use for buff/debuff vs. just hitting them in the face. But my tactic is to bring out my three highest level Morty's in Paper, Scissor and Rock types each, then the next Morty of the highest of anything left over. I swap out immediately in fights to always be winning the RPS - sensational/pathetic bonus always seems better than any buff/debuff.

Absolutely agree. In fact, I always felt similarly about Pokemon, too. The Buffs/Debuffs never seem to pay off enough to make the opportunity cost worth it.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Barbed Tongues posted:

I've yet to find a real use for buff/debuff vs. just hitting them in the face.
I found the defense debuffs useful as a way to conserve attack points. Running out of attacks seems way more of an issue than it ever was in Pokemon, especially early on when you'd have maybe one damaging move with 9-12 AP and two buff/debuffs on a Morty. So for instance instead of using three damaging attacks, I could use one damaging move plus one defense debuff plus one more damaging attack.

In Pokemon where you have like a zillion PP then yeah I agree, I never wasted time with stat moves.

Hazo fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jan 21, 2016

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Everytime the enemy takes a buff/debuff turn I'm just like, "Sweet, free turn for me." Maybe if there were boss Mortys it would be useful, but even in the Council fights the Mortys don't last more than a few turns.

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.

Hazo posted:

I found the defense debuffs useful as a way to conserve attack points. Running out of attacks seems way more of an issue than it ever was in Pokemon, especially early on when you'd have maybe one damaging move with 9-12 AP and two buff/debuffs on a Morty. So for instance instead of using three damaging attacks, I could use one damaging move plus one defense debuff plus one more damaging attack.

Except the trade-off there is conserving AP --> losing HP. You're taking more hits while you buff/debuff. In essence, you're going to have to refill your HP more frequently to prevent from having to refill AP. And I think the AP items are cheaper?

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Blasphemeral posted:

Except the trade-off there is conserving AP --> losing HP. You're taking more hits while you buff/debuff. In essence, you're going to have to refill your HP more frequently to prevent from having to refill AP. And I think the AP items are cheaper?
Not really? I'm out there for the same number of turns whether I use three damaging attacks or one defense-lowering + two damaging.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

In single player Pokemon, you can just focus on attacks and nothing else and do just fine. In competitive Pokemon, you'd be annihilated that way. I loaded up my OG Pokemon Blue cart a few years ago and looked at the movesets on my Pokemon and was completely mystified to find stuff like a Charizard with Ember, Flamethrower, Fire Blast, and Bite. Once you learn the strategies for it, having more than one damage move (or maybe two, if they are of different types) starts seeming like a waste of move slots.

e: Which of course does nothing to invalidate the point WRT Pocket Morties, where there is no deeper strategy or competitive option.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Blasphemeral posted:

Absolutely agree. In fact, I always felt similarly about Pokemon, too. The Buffs/Debuffs never seem to pay off enough to make the opportunity cost worth it.

Its more an issue with early-game pokemon than late game, early game moves like growl are an entire waste of a turn and exist only so that small children can still win matches, by attacking while your opponent effectively wastes their turn. But you shouldn't use growl yourself.

But by end-game there's abilities that do much more, either really important status effects or combinations of attacks and debuffs or whatever. Plus you have more pokemon, more types, more moves, so there's a lot more strategy you can build. Paralyze and then debuff during the next turn, stuff like that, which you can't do in the beginning of the game.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Funkmaster General posted:

In single player Pokemon, you can just focus on attacks and nothing else and do just fine. In competitive Pokemon, you'd be annihilated that way. I loaded up my OG Pokemon Blue cart a few years ago and looked at the movesets on my Pokemon and was completely mystified to find stuff like a Charizard with Ember, Flamethrower, Fire Blast, and Bite. Once you learn the strategies for it, having more than one damage move (or maybe two, if they are of different types) starts seeming like a waste of move slots.

that's not...really true, it's just that you have dedicated roles each character in your party plays, like baton passer, phys and special wall, healer (possibly), and phys and spec sweeper

in competitive play you'll totally have pokes with four attacks (or three attacks and swords dance/nasty plot, depending on if they're phys or spec). usually one (or both if dual type) STAB move, with the other move(s) being from the common attacking types like Fighting/Ice/Dark/Elec for better type coverage

the biggest point of failure in competitive play is losing turn advantage, which you give up when you switch pokes. having one to two dedicated "attacker" types on your team that you baton pass in after buffing other dudes is how you keep turn advantage

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
Is this game even a tenth as complicated as the Pokemon stuff you're talking about?

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

prefect posted:

Is this game even a tenth as complicated as the Pokemon stuff you're talking about?

Not even close. This game literally boils Pokemon's type-advantage stuff down into rock, paper, and scissors, and AFAIK morties only have three stats.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Toxxupation posted:

the biggest point of failure in competitive play is losing turn advantage, which you give up when you switch pokes. having one to two dedicated "attacker" types on your team that you baton pass in after buffing other dudes is how you keep turn advantage

This always seemed like a gigantic design flaw in pokemon which removed most of the strategy to me. It's not a super easy problem to fix but it is definitely a problem IMO.

prefect posted:

Nah this game is literally rock, paper scissors with health bars. Literally.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Zaphod42 posted:

This always seemed like a gigantic design flaw in pokemon which removed most of the strategy to me. It's not a super easy problem to fix but it is definitely a problem IMO.

i would agree if baton pass didn't exist, turning a weakness into yet another layer of strategy

also phys/spec walls help a lot since it lessens (or in the case of switching in on immunity, outright negates) the turn loss' effects

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Wow, you guys. It's been over a decade since I played pokemon, and I had no idea it was as deep as you're making it out to be. That's... crazy. Is there a "How to be a competitive Poke player" guide anywhere that explains this stuff to beginners?

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Sometimes I'll bump into a trainer with a slightly higher level Swimmer Morty than any of my Morty's who goes before any of them in attack order and he'll just punch a hole through all of them regardless of their RPS type just due to him having higher Speed stat.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Blasphemeral posted:

Wow, you guys. It's been over a decade since I played pokemon, and I had no idea it was as deep as you're making it out to be. That's... crazy. Is there a "How to be a competitive Poke player" guide anywhere that explains this stuff to beginners?

This isn't even getting into IV or EV stuff, which is a very deep rabbit hole that I do not recommend going down.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Blasphemeral posted:

http://www.smogon.com/dp/articles/intro_comp_pokemon#mechanics

if you're actually interested the big things to know are STAB, type effectiveness, EVs, IVs, breeding, the phys/spec move split that gen 4 implemented, and natures

team building is a whole different, even more complicated kettle of fish and tiers are even more confusing, but basically everyone in the relaxed competitive scene runs "OU and under (which basically means "no legendaries AND NO WOBBUFFET"), no evasion moves"

some ban out certain specific bullshit moves, most commonly stealth rock because it's a stupid bullshit move for assholes, or will ban out commonly accepted "really annoying" pokes to fight like blissey but that's case-by-case

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jan 21, 2016

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

I don't bother at all with non attack moves in this game, my only goal is to have enough PP to clear worlds without using items. Pokemon is a different story, super complex compared to this.

Ada
Apr 22, 2014

Practice proper gun's safety.
Even as simple as Pocket Mortys is if it's going to take more than three attacks it's probably better to do a defense/offense buff, since it'll be the same number of turns to defeat the other Morty and saves you a PP on your attack move.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Competitive pokemon is stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

a cop posted:

Competitive pokemon is stupid.

Yup.
Only do competitive Pokemon stuff if youre in competitive Pokemon