Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

He really loves that car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Mr. Spender is decidedly Cool and I'm glad Zack acknowledges this truth despite his fans' cries to the contrary.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I unironically think Spender is cool and badass and IDGAF what you losers say to the contrary.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Who What Now posted:

I unironically think Spender is cool and badass and IDGAF what you losers say to the contrary.
I didn't know Mr. Spender had an SA account.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
I think Spender is cool. I also think he's a stupid idiot who screws up often, and this makes him a more interesting character to follow.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Spender would be cool if he stopped trying to be.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Spender not being single is a little surprising, and not just because he's a huge dork. In a comic that otherwise likes to foreshadow everything I don't think we've seen hint of that that so far, unless it's someone we haven't met at all yet it pretty much just leaves Dr. Zarei, and they don't seem all that close. Like we're seeing here he's pretty much the textbook wannabe-loner angst machine, so having a normal dating life on the side would be a weird fit. Unless it's just part of his cover as a regular schoolteacher and isn't very serious.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

It could be someone who's as into being the Tortured Anime Rival Character as he is into being the Tortured Anime Protagonist. Someone who tries to be dark and badass and just ends up kind of badbutt.

The Falco to Spender's Fox, basically.

Fake Edit Joke Answer: He's dating Lucifer.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Spender is dating Max's dad, which is also why Max's dad decided to move back home - Distance makes the heart grow fonder.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Poison Mushroom posted:

It's the darkness spirit.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

spender is dating a weekly update schedule

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
some speculation:

Spender cares too much about the approval of those he respects, he's essentially shallow that way. He fights to save Mayview out of seeking this approval (not least of which, from his continuous mental companion), or at least the approval he imagines he'd get if those he respected knew of his dilemmas, but this is essentially a means to an end of obtaining such approval

and that's what's going to show up in his dating life, I daresay. He doesn't want to be loved as much as respected, when in practice the constraints of his commitments make him appear weird and eccentric. He's weird without 'owning it'.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

That's just a longer way of saying Spender is cool.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
spoiler: i'm the one dating spender, it's me

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Tollymain posted:

spoiler: i'm the one dating spender, it's me

what do you like about him

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Poison Mushroom posted:

It's actually pretty interesting the different kinds of relationships we've seen between Spectrals and their partner spirits. Lucifer seems to act like a mentor or parental figure, Eightfold was Isabel's BFF, the Storm God and Isaac have a tempestuous relationship (nyuk nyuk) and Scrapdragon seems ready to kill Max at any moment. No idea how dating a spirit would work.

It'll be neat to see how Forge and Johnny will get along, maybe he can induct Forge into his friendship gang.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Can't wait to meet Spender's full length anime body pillow

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

paradoxGentleman posted:

what do you like about him

well, if i had to choose one, his driving gloves

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Tollymain posted:

well, if i had to choose one, his driving gloves

Those gloves are cool as poo poo, this checks out

Dalris Othaine
Oct 14, 2013

I think, therefore I am inevitable.
i think it's cool how he levitates

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
His ultimate move is the Spender Life Ender. How can you not love him. He's like Kakashi but more tryhard.

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

Dolash posted:

It'll be neat to see how Forge and Johnny will get along, maybe he can induct Forge into his friendship gang.

It might even be good for both of them. I mean recently we've seen a lot more of Johnny and while he's kinda a dumb bully he is also surprisingly sincere and lacking in malice, Forge seems like a more extreme version of Spender's "rear end in a top hat for the greater good" routine. Johnny could use someone that will make him think about the poo poo he does and Forge could really stand to be less full of poo poo about how bad a person he "needs" to be.

Rohan Kishibe posted:

His ultimate move is the Spender Life Ender. How can you not love him. He's like Kakashi but more tryhard.

I think it's really that Spender is trying to be the cool mentor figure that he saw in one of those hip animations the kids love, but he's too much of a compulsive nerd. What I'm saying is Spender is great.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

He's totally dating Lucifer.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Luneshot posted:

He's totally dating Lucifer.
:hf:

If he really is sort-of dating Zarei, that adds a whole new level to this exchange.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Poison Mushroom posted:

:hf:

If he really is sort-of dating Zarei, that adds a whole new level to this exchange.

Earlier ones too. It honestly looks that way to me. And that Zarei is pretty much the same kind of person as Spender.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
let's be fair, zarei seems to be slightly more responsible than spender

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Tollymain posted:

I, too, agree that a pot is slightly more black than a kettle

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Tenebrais posted:

Earlier ones too. It honestly looks that way to me. And that Zarei is pretty much the same kind of person as Spender.
chest wound?! i HATE chest wounds!!

Man, this comic. :allears:

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Tollymain posted:

Yeah.

But here, in panel 8 Zarei looks like someone Spender might be attracted to.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

http://www.paranatural.net/comic/chapter-5-page-91-92/

A very cool update. Lucifer gettin' REAL

Also, that little "nose" of lucifer is actually his mouth? And that "tongue" is a tail feather. I don't know if I'm dumb or deceived. Or both. Probably the first, though.

Rotten Cookies fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jan 19, 2016

heenato
Oct 26, 2010

We wish to communicate with you!
Wasn't that exactly Hijack's plan though? Did hitball go on so long that Zack forgot? His plan was specifically to hurt someone to get into the office.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Oh my god, the sheer amount of detail :swoon:

STAIRS RULE

Neveth
Aug 22, 2011

Oh hello, delicious friend.
I think Hijack's plan was to hit Johnny or his ilk. He didn't want to hurt a "good guy".

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

heenato posted:

Wasn't that exactly Hijack's plan though? Did hitball go on so long that Zack forgot? His plan was specifically to hurt someone to get into the office.

While Hijack's plan was to injure a student and get to the office, he seems to be influenced by his host's feelings a bit. He was trying to hit Johnny not Max. Jeff doesn't have any problems with Max.

Also, "Fished out of the lake 13 years ago", drat Lucifer dropping backstory hints.

Matlock Birthmark fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jan 19, 2016

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
hijack was aiming for johnny, not max.

the first time, it looked like they were aiming for max, but note that the ball narrowly misses johnny as well there. do we know who told max to duck? could have been jeff/hijack. the warning came before hijack hit the ball, and i don't think anybody else would have seen what was coming before the sound of that impact

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Daaaamn that second page. Seriously cool stuff with the hall layout merging in to panel boundaries.

Also Spender confirmed for literal shounen protagonist. I would watch the heck out of evangelion: midlife crisis edition.

heenato posted:

Preferably someone who deserved it. Preferably not one of Jeff's few friends friendly acquaintances.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Update has no Johnny, it's poo poo. And why is there a death cultist in the caf.a?

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
are you saying you didn't have death cultists in your cafeterias as a kid?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
If you mean the thing lurking by the door on the right hand side, that's a trash can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Renaissance Robot posted:

If you mean the thing lurking by the door on the right hand side, that's a trash can.

That's exactly what the death cultists want you to think