Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tree Goat posted:

The hint is to look at the icons.
it's squirrel damage to power infrastructure

Correct :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Oregon is highest at ~15.5%

Utah is highest at ~20%

via OKCupid. http://www.okcupid.com/deep-end/the-hangover?cf=email

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
No overlap?

edit: I guess Idaho is overlapping

JGdmn
Jun 12, 2005

Like I give a fuck.

davebo posted:

^^ former Association of Community Organizations for Reform Now branch locations?

Man that just makes it even weirder. So when a kid does something wrong the faculty have to log on to some computer and verify that the parents have not checked the "Don't paddle my kid" option on their taxes before the teacher can even begin the process. It just adds so much formality to the situation that if it isn't an immediate behavioral correction right after an incident, why not just tell the parents what they did and let them hit their own kid?

When I was a child (in Arizona, in the 80's) if you were to be punished they had to call and get the parents expressed permission.

And it was a sawed off boat oar with holes drilled in it.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Tree Goat posted:

The hint is to look at the icons.
it's squirrel damage to power infrastructure

So, squirrel population density then?

Promontorium
Jan 9, 2016

Quorum posted:

Hmm! I wonder if you could compile a meta-analysis map, in which states were colored on a spectrum of blue to red based on what percentage of maps have them in the "good state" category.

Yes you could. And what constitutes "good" would differ between everyone else. Well, at least your map would show you where you could go to find the most people who agree with your specific version of good. Unfortunately the map would be useless for everyone else...unless you made it interactive. Like a better version of one of those terrible "What _____ are you?" surveys. Each person could choose all the "good" aspects in their opinion, then the map would show them where they can get the most applause for patting themselves on the back.

Promontorium
Jan 9, 2016

JGdmn posted:

When I was a child (in Arizona, in the 80's) if you were to be punished they had to call and get the parents expressed permission.

Often called a paddle. Hence the term "give/get a paddling". :P

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

JGdmn posted:

We had to have a note on file from parents opting out of the process, and yeah sawed-off boat oar is about right.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

computer parts posted:

Oregon is highest at ~15.5%

Utah is highest at ~20%

via OKCupid. http://www.okcupid.com/deep-end/the-hangover?cf=email

portland.png

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Haha, that looks a lot like this

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Promontorium posted:

Yes you could. And what constitutes "good" would differ between everyone else. Well, at least your map would show you where you could go to find the most people who agree with your specific version of good. Unfortunately the map would be useless for everyone else...unless you made it interactive. Like a better version of one of those terrible "What _____ are you?" surveys. Each person could choose all the "good" aspects in their opinion, then the map would show them where they can get the most applause for patting themselves on the back.

I'm aware of the concept of relative morality, yes.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

cebrail posted:

Haha, that looks a lot like this

Which is?

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

white people

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

Fun to compare that to

tough stains
May 23, 2007

Desire gets the upper hand over insight and foresight and the results are often needless entanglement.
From the FT Weekend,:

I haven't seen "Somaliland" written in full country type before, but it could be just an unintentional oversight by the graphics person.

From: http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/0/50cded70-bb77-11e5-b151-8e15c9a029fb.html (might be behind paywall).

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008

Randallteal posted:

Fun to compare that to

What the gently caress, Georgia?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Randallteal posted:

Fun to compare that to

Abstinence at works

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
More like lack of sexual education. For whatever reason, the plan of religious people for teens, is to maintain them ignorant about sex, praying that they don't independently discover that it exist.

Religion make people believe and do truly stupid things.

The reality is that even teenagers that think sex is a sin, still practice it, but if they don't have a strong sex education, the do it without protection. So all that do religion for people, is to remove protection from STD's.

No really. Religious people don't want to talk with their kids about sex, and they don't want other people to talk with their kids about sex. Their plan is maybe ignorance will work.

Tei fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Jan 17, 2016

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Symptoms include discharge, burning, and gold water.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

NO gently caress YOU DAD posted:

What the gently caress, Georgia?

More like what the gently caress, DC?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

vyelkin posted:

If the map showed cities, a whole bunch of cities would look like DC. Cities tend to have a large amount of prostitutes and johns, both of which are at high risk of STDs for obvious reasons.

Most states get that stuff int heir cities evened out by other areas having much lower amounts of prostitutes and johns.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

vyelkin posted:

DC doesn't seem especially egregious? Baltimore is way worse.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.
I want to compare the DC rates to the rate in The Villages, FL.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

A Buttery Pastry posted:

DC doesn't seem especially egregious? Baltimore is way worse.

I'm pretty sure they hosed up the placement there because the Maryland line with the big numbers doesn't correspond to the colour they made Maryland on the map. Maryland gets the colour corresponding to the smaller number pointing at DC, which implies they just mixed up the two lines.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

vyelkin posted:

I'm pretty sure they hosed up the placement there because the Maryland line with the big numbers doesn't correspond to the colour they made Maryland on the map. Maryland gets the colour corresponding to the smaller number pointing at DC, which implies they just mixed up the two lines.
For some reason*, it seems like they've divided Maryland up into "area around Baltimore" and the rest. The area around Baltimore has a separate color from the rest of Maryland on the first two maps.

*most sexually diseased area in the country of that size?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

A Buttery Pastry posted:

For some reason*, it seems like they've divided Maryland up into "area around Baltimore" and the rest. The area around Baltimore has a separate color from the rest of Maryland on the first two maps.

*most sexually diseased area in the country of that size?

I'm pretty sure that they just put DC in a bizarrely incorrect location and have Maryland's number pointing to where DC is supposed to be for some reason. The "Baltimore Area" Syphilis rate listed on that map is the same as DC's actual rate according to this.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Pakled posted:

I'm pretty sure that they just put DC in a bizarrely incorrect location and have Maryland's number pointing to where DC is supposed to be for some reason. The "Baltimore Area" Syphilis rate listed on that map is the same as DC's actual rate according to this.
Felled by my inability to conceive of the idea that someone could somehow fail to put the capital of the most powerful country in the world, their likely home country too, in its proper location.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Shieeeeeeeeeeeet

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Kurtofan posted:

Shieeeeeeeeeeeet
That show is all I know about Baltimore.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Motherfuck!

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Before watching the wire: the city of Edgar Allan Poe

after watching the wire: the city of Omar

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I know Baltimore better than cities I've lived in because of that show.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

A Buttery Pastry posted:

That show is all you need to know about Baltimore. I mean there are some orthodox Jews up north but that doesn't make for compelling television. The rest of it is covered by Orioles and Ravens games.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

I dunno Baltimore whenever I've been to Baltimore it alway seemed nice... Note I've only been there to see games in the aforementioned Orioles and Ravens stadiums, or visit the aquarium. It seems similar to other American rustbelt cities in terms of demographics and economy, i.e. black, segregated, with vanishing industry replaced with banking and services.

Baltimore racial distribution per US census data

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

GoldenPrice posted:

When Finland gained independence Back in WW1, they were going to form a monarchy at first and elected a German noble as the king.
Then Germany lost the war and the new king renounced the throne peacefully before he even managed to arrive in Finland, so They went for a republic instead.
I remember reading an article about the Nobles descendant visiting Finland about a decade back so it should be that guy.

he was a fashion photographer iirc

the crown would have been cool looking:

(a replica made in the 90s)

Tommah
Mar 29, 2003

would be better if eastern panhandle was also separated

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
The Vogons can only extradite a territory when it has exactly or similar to square shape. If the territory have a square shape, they can place 4 ships in orbit, and teleport the territory to other planet.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Tei posted:

The Vogons can only extradite a territory when it has exactly or similar to square shape. If the territory have a square shape, they can place 4 ships in orbit, and teleport the territory to other planet.

Ah so that's why we made Colorado and Wyoming - decoy states!

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Tommah posted:

would be better if eastern panhandle was also separated

Thanks to this map, I am aware that West Virginia has a number of rivers with dams.

And no cities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Albino Squirrel posted:

Thanks to this map, I am aware that West Virginia has a number of rivers with dams.

And no cities.

The largest town has a population of 50,400, so yeah. No cities.